IGNORED

Coronavirus 4

GreyhoundFan

On 12/17/2020 at 9:28 AM, OHFL2009 said:

There's a couple in our neighborhood who dress up as Santa and Mrs. Claus, and in normal years, parents can drop off a gift for their child, then they pick a Saturday where Santa and Mrs. Claus go around delivering all the gifts. They obviously aren't comfortable going into people's homes this year, but they wanted to still do something. The fire chief also lives in our neighborhood, so he volunteered to have one of the trucks drive Santa around this Saturday to he can wave to the kids; other neighbors volunteered to ride behind the truck and toss out candy canes. 

Here's a picture of Santa on his new "sleigh." There were about 5 sets of neighbors on golf carts behind the truck, dressed up in Christmas costumes and tossing out candy canes to the kids. It was super cute and all the kids on our street seemed to love it.

Santa.thumb.jpg.20535e139ae483718fee845a0a19db4d.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • Love 6

My MIL's assisted living facility is unfortunately once again under tight lockdown due to a supplier testing positive for Covid-19.  This means no family visitation, even in the outside meeting area that they've installed recently.  We are going to drop off some Christmas cheer for my MIL, but it's going to be a pretty dreary Christmas for her.

In better news, the facility is getting all the consent forms ready for the vaccine.  I'm hoping we are seeing some light at the end of the tunnel at this point. 

We had a Santa firetruck parade through our neighborhood this year.  I've never seen kids so ecstatic to be out on the street yelling and waving their hands in joy.   Thanks to all those volunteers and other kind folks who figure out ways to make our lives a little brighter.  ❤️

• Love 13

24 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

My MIL's assisted living facility is unfortunately once again under tight lockdown due to a supplier testing positive for Covid-19.  This means no family visitation, even in the outside meeting area that they've installed recently.  We are going to drop off some Christmas cheer for my MIL, but it's going to be a pretty dreary Christmas for her.

In better news, the facility is getting all the consent forms ready for the vaccine.  I'm hoping we are seeing some light at the end of the tunnel at this point. 

We had a Santa firetruck parade through our neighborhood this year.  I've never seen kids so ecstatic to be out on the street yelling and waving their hands in joy.   Thanks to all those volunteers and other kind folks who figure out ways to make our lives a little brighter.  ❤️

My heart goes out to your MIL and all of you who can't see your loved ones in assisted living this year.

My son works in an assisted living facility and the residents are now confined to their rooms again even for dining, since a surge in covid cases.  They are definitely looking forward to the vaccine as well.

Fwiw they've lost many residents due to family taking them back home due to the covid outbreaks there.  It's a very stressful element for a lot of families as caregiving for people who need that level of care is not easy.

A few months ago a nurse there died from Covid.  My son didn't know her well but it struck him so hard as she was about my age with kids the same ages as mine.  It just hit home how a mom just goes to work living her life and now her kids have to go on without her.  

• Love 17

Will be Christmas-ing alone. Bad luck to break my wrist. Surgery is tomorrow.  I want to stay COVID free for the darn follow-ups and it would be too difficult to travel to be with my family as I can't drive. Send Christmas movie suggestions. I have Hulu, Disney+, Prime, Netflix.  I will eat the candy I bought for the stockings and movie marathon away! One one level it sucks and I'm sad but on another level my injuries could have been far worse so making lemonade out of my lemons.

• Love 22

Bridgerton is due out on Netflix Christmas Day.

White Christmas is the classic for me.

not Christmas, but mr. Iglesias on Netflix has been making me laugh lately.

For me the adult must see movies are Christmas Vacation, Miracle on 34th Street, and the George c Scott version of a Christmas Carol. I also recommend a regressive film fest with things like a Charlie Brown Christmas if you feel comfortable with it, how the Grinch stole Christmas, Frosty, Rudolph, and Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

• Upvote 2

I opted in on a Black Friday deal for peacock.  Not impressed and doubt I’ll renew but they’ve got the Mr. Magoo version of a Christmas Carol.  Which I think I’m going to watch for the sake of nostalgia 

5 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

For me the adult must see movies are Christmas Vacation, Miracle on 34th Street, and the George c Scott version of a Christmas Carol. I also recommend a regressive film fest with things like a Charlie Brown Christmas if you feel comfortable with it, how the Grinch stole Christmas, Frosty, Rudolph, and Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

I agree on Christmas Vacation. Don’t forget Die Hard! 

With Christmas Vacation when avatar kitty was still alive we’d point out the cat scene to her and say this is why we don’t want you chewing on the cord.  One time my fur niece Maggie put my laptop’s power cord in her mouth and I asked, “Cat, have you ever seen Christmas Vacation?”  

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

I had myocarditis 5 years ago.  I’m being extra cautious because of this history (and I’m 8 months pregnant).  Unfortunately, my parents think Covid is just “the flu” and think I’m overreacting.  It really sucks.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 20

On 12/21/2020 at 8:33 AM, OHFL2009 said:

Here's a picture of Santa on his new "sleigh." There were about 5 sets of neighbors on golf carts behind the truck, dressed up in Christmas costumes and tossing out candy canes to the kids. It was super cute and all the kids on our street seemed to love it.

Santa.thumb.jpg.20535e139ae483718fee845a0a19db4d.jpg

This is awesome. Santa has come by on a firetruck in my area since I was a small child, most years I manage to catch a glimpse. I remember as a kid running out to the road and they'd toss out apples or candy canes or something.

I drive past a drive-in Covid testing site on the way to work each morning. For a while, there had been no lines there most days. This past couple weeks it's got long, long lines of cars winding around it's parking lot, through the attached mostly abandoned strip mall parking lot, and back around again. At least 50 cars or more every single morning. 

A visitor to our work today gave me a tip - the quickest and easiest way to get a Covid test in his experience is to go donate blood. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

So, the health department here has taken to social media and the local news to get out the word that an exposure happened at a Christmas party at a local church.  Smallish.  I only know of this church because I’ve voted at it a number of times in the last 10 years.  

• Thank You 3

I hope the Kansas AG is proud of this.  Because he’s the jerk who told counties they could opt out of the governor’s orders.

Kansas had worst county in US for COVID deaths per capita last week — and 2nd, 4th and 5th

BY JASON TIDD

DECEMBER 22, 2020 04:10 PM

Play Video

Duration -:-

Top Kansas health official talks about vaccines, COVID-19 deaths

Dr. Lee Norman, secretary of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, answers media questions about the state's vaccine plan and reported coronavirus deaths. He spoke at Gov. Laura Kelly's COVID-19 news briefing. (Dec. 16, 2020) BY GOVERNOR LAURA KELLY/FACEBOOK

Kansas had the worst county in the United States for COVID-19 deaths per capita last week.

It also had the second-worst. And the fourth-worst. And the fifth-worst.

And seven of the top 10 deadliest counties compared to population.

TOP ARTICLES

SKIP ADInvestigation complete into Wichita’s earthquakes; it’s not the oil and gas industry

The rankings are from coronavirus pandemic data released Sunday by the White House COVID-19 Task Force. Its death data was for the period of Dec. 13-19.

Edwards County, which topped the list, had eight deaths over the previous seven days, equated to 285.9 deaths per 100,000 people. Sheridan County was second, with seven deaths equating to 277.7 per 100,000. 

All-access digital subscription

Connect to local news for just $1 a month for 3 months

VIEW OFFER

Calculating rates per 100,000 people is common in public health as it helps compare the level of spread among communities of different sizes.

Logan and Rush counties were also in the top five, while Stanton, Wichita and Ottawa counties made the top 10.

Kansas, which has 105 counties, placed 27 counties in the top 100 deadliest counties in the United States. The database contains 3,220 counties and county-equivalents, including U.S. territories. Approximately two-third of counties in the country reported at least one death in the last week.

The additional Kansas counties in the top 100 were Comanche, Trego, Morris, Ford, Nemaha, Greeley, Cowley, Morton, Wabaunsee, Wallace, Woodson, Pawnee, Allen, Brown, Gray, Stafford, Montgomery, Marshall, Kiowa and Graham.

Sedgwick County ranked No. 1,209. Its 37 deaths equated to 7.2 per 100,000. The number may be under-counted as the database used Sedgwick County Health Department figures, which are substantially lower than what the Kansas Department of Health and Environment reports for Sedgwick County.

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/news/coronavirus/article248022110.html#storylink=cpy

• Sad 3
  • Thank You 2

Okay friends, the apocalypse really has happened. I agree with fundamentalist pastor Rick Warren.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/rick-warren-coronavirus-saddleback-church-024453774.html

Popular Evangelical Pastor: Coronavirus Rules Aren't Oppressing Christians 

Spoiler

Evangelical pastors in California have been fighting the state’s COVID-19 restrictions on houses of worship from the earliest months of the coronavirus pandemic. These pastors ― and the conservative law firms defending them ― have largely framed the debate as a matter of religious freedom, claiming that the government is discriminating against churches.

Pastor Rick Warren, founder of Saddleback Church, based in Orange County, appears to be taking a different approach.

In an interview with the Christian publication Relevant Magazine published Monday, the evangelical megachurch pastor and popular author suggested that COVID-19 restrictions are about protecting parishioners’ health.

“A lot of churches are nervous about the religious freedom aspect. They don’t want to wear masks. They don’t want to meet outdoors,” Warren said.

Warren pointed out that many sites of large public gatherings ― such as theaters, football games and concerts ― are also facing restrictions. Regal Cinemas had shuttered hundreds of theaters, and Disney has let go of thousands of employees, he said.

“We’re not being discriminated against. This is a safety issue,” he said.

As usual, this is only part of the article. My favorite line was "we're not being discriminated against this is a safety issue he said."

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 1

As usual, this is only part of the article. My favorite line was "we're not being discriminated against this is a safety issue he said."

It’s very concerning and disturbing he even has to say it.
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8

My younger son works in a hospital, and has already had his first dose of the vaccine.  He gets the 2nd dose in a couple of weeks.  

When he was 11yo, he was in the PICU with myocarditis and pericarditis for over a week.  I am so, so thankful he got the vaccine this soon because even though his heart had no damage from his illness, seeing these cases of post-covid myocarditis makes my heart stop for a second with the thought that he could have gotten it again.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 14

Sun Valley, where the Vuolos attend church, is the 25th most affected community in Los Angeles county.  I wonder how much the church has contributed to their count.

• Upvote 7

My neighbor’s parents, who are both in an assisted living facility, have been scheduled for their first vaccine dose.   It’s starting to seem real.  I am so hopeful that we can maybe start getting back to “normal” in 2021.  I know we have a lot of problems to tackle, but I just want to hug my daughter in 2021.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 11

With the hope of anticipating 2021 in a few days, I wonder what lasting effects 2020 will have on me and others. How long will it be until I feel comfortable dropping into a more crowded store to get some groceries and only be annoyed with the crowds? How long until I feel comfortable shopping for new clothes? Will I ever feel okay going around people without a mask? My allergies weren't as bad this year, and I credit mask wearing for filtering out some of my allergens. Will I feel comfortable flying or taking public transit again? When will I feel comfortable eating in a restaurant again? 

I think the ripples of this will continue for years. I also wonder about the future effects on elementary students who were forced into remote learning.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

I just filled out my preregistration for the vaccine.  Now I'm stuck on my couch constantly refreshing my email waiting for the link to schedule.

• Love 4

My husband and I have been isolating at home for about a week with what we thought was probably Covid-19.  He's asthmatic and took a turn for the worse today, so I took him to our local hospital's urgent care center. I tested positive, and he tested negative, but the doctor said we should presume he's positive since I am. They gave him an oral steroid while we were there and some prescriptions to fill. My vitals were all good, so I was told to rest and take OTC stuff for symptomatic relief as needed.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 21

• Coconut Flan locked this topic