IGNORED

Coronavirus 4

GreyhoundFan

Fauci gets birthday serenade as he leaves work.

Spoiler

(CNN) - Dr. Anthony Fauci got a special treat as he left work Wednesday.

EMS workers were waiting outside to serenade the good doctor ahead of his 80th birthday on Dec. 24.

Members of the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Rescue Squad cheered Fauci and sang the birthday song as he walked out.

Fauci, the nation’s foremost infections disease expert, has risen to international fame for his role in battling the coronavirus.

He said this birthday and Christmas will not be like other years.

Following his own guidance, he will avoid holiday travel.

He will miss spending Christmas and his birthday with his daughters for the first time since they were born.

It’s sad, Fauci said, but he feels the need to practice what he preaches.

The whole thing just made me go aw...

• Upvote 2
  • Love 7

I feel like Debbie Downer but I'm concerned that once people get the shot they think of it as a cure. It's not.  Mayo Clinic Get the Facts About the Vaccine....even if you get the shot you still need to be careful. I don't want people to think it will be all sunshine and roses once the vaccine comes out/they get it. There are still a lot of unkowns.

Then again nothing stops these fundies and other maskless fools and all these pictures of people without masks just drive me nuts.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-vaccine/art-20484859

Can I stop taking safety precautions after getting a COVID-19 vaccine?

Experts want to learn more about the protection that a COVID-19 vaccine provides and how long immunity lasts before changing safety recommendations. Factors such as how many people get vaccinated and how the virus is spreading in communities will also affect these recommendations.

Myth: I won't need to wear a mask after I get the COVID-19 vaccine.

Fact: It may take time for everyone who wants a COVID-19 vaccination to get one. Also, while the vaccine may prevent you from getting sick, it is unknown at this time if you can still carry and transmit the virus to others. Until more is understood about how well the vaccine works, continuing with precautions such as mask-wearing and physical distancing will be important.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

Actor Christian Kane shared on his Instagram today that his father has died of covid,  also that the man hadn’t left home in 12 months but contracted it anyway.  

• Sad 10
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 2

My husband and I have been isolating at home for about a week with what we thought was probably Covid-19.  He's asthmatic and took a turn for the worse today, so I took him to our local hospital's urgent care center. I tested positive, and he tested negative, but the doctor said we should presume he's positive since I am. They gave him an oral steroid while we were there and some prescriptions to fill. My vitals were all good, so I was told to rest and take OTC stuff for symptomatic relief as needed.

Get well soon! I wish you both a full and speedy recovery.

In the Swiss alps 200 British citizens who should have been quarantining in their hotels because of the newfound UK virus strain, left the hotel unnoticed in the middle of the night. Some went to France, others csn’t be found. The village blames the country, the county blames the Federal Council and so on [emoji1750] #swisscovidfail

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 5
  • Thank You 2

ISU is working on another vaccine. 

Iowa State researchers are working on a new type of coronavirus vaccine you can sniff.

The Nanovaccine Institute at ISU shifted their focus from the flu to COVID-19 when the pandemic hit the U.S.

Unlike Pfizer and Moderna, the nanovaccine will be needle-free and will only require one dose. It also won’t need to be refrigerated.

With the help of $2 million in federal CARES Act Funding, they’re collaborating with researchers at other institutions to create the vaccine.

Question if that ever gets through trials and becomes available. If there’s a flavor that smells like their hero will Branch Trumpviduans take that vaccine?  

• Upvote 3

Former Tyson manager trying to dig up.  

One of the Tyson Foods managers fired for betting on how many workers would contract COVID-19 at their Iowa pork plant says the office pool was spontaneous and intended to boost morale.

Don Merschbrock, former night manager at the plant in Waterloo, Iowa, said he was speaking out in an attempt to show that the seven fired supervisors are "not the evil people" that Tyson has portrayed.

In what fucking universe does that idiot think shit like this is ok?

Tyson’s corporate culture is pretty much shit since their people thought it was OK for them to do that. 

• WTF 3
  • I Agree 2

I sitting here wondering what sort of corporate training rolls out in my world related to the Tyson fiasco here.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

If there’s a flavor that smells like their hero will Branch Trumpviduans take that vaccine?  

Maybe, if the flies don't get to it first.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

Well the Iowa Hawkeye football season is over for the year;

The Hawkeyes’ 2020 season has come to an end after it was announced on Sunday that the TransPerfect Music City Bowl game, scheduled for Wednesday in Nashville, has been cancelled.

Due to an increase in positive COVID-19 tests among players, coaches and staff, Mizzou announced on Sunday their football program is pausing all team activities through January 2nd and will not participate in Wednesday’s game against University of Iowa.

“Since concluding our regular season and conducting four rounds of tests over the last eight days, we have seen a significant increase in positive COVID-19 tests among our student-athletes, coaches and staff, and after consulting with local health officials, our team physicians and MU Health’s Dr. Steve Whitt, who is our representative on the SEC Medical Task Force, we unfortunately must pause all football team-related activities until at least January 2 to help contain the virus’ spread and ensure the health and well-being of everyone within our program and the community,” said Jim Sterk, Mizzou Athletic Director, in a statement.

According to a statement from bowl organizers, all ticketholders will be automatically refunded through Ticketmaster. Ticketholders should expect to receive their refund in the next 7-10 business days.

Now that I think of it I wonder if what happened on Christmas also factored in here?

• Upvote 5

That was news here yesterday.  Mizzou and the double digit positives.   Also Mizzou went to virtual classes post Thanksgiving. 

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, clueliss said:

That was news here yesterday.  Mizzou and the double digit positives.   Also Mizzou went to virtual classes post Thanksgiving. 

Up here too.  Course Iowa was looking forward to going down to Nashville and doing their thing against Mizzou this week.  Iowa went to virtual instruction after Thanksgiving but this was planned for way back in June. 

• Upvote 5

Toddler diagnosed with Covid suffers stroke.  (And why do parents assume - in a pandemic - that 'it's the flu'?? )

https://www.komu.com/news/columbia-medical-team-treats-toddler-who-had-stroke-after-testing-positive-for-covid-19/article_5ff67426-4983-11eb-ae42-477211170b75.html

Columbia medical team treats toddler who had stroke after testing positive for COVID-19

Brendan Hall, KOMU 8 Reporter

14 hrs ago

A three-year-old boy from Salisbury experienced a stroke after testing positive for COVID-19. Colt Parris was treated at Columbia's Women's and Children's Hospital and is expected to fully recover.

COLUMBIA - A three-year-old boy from Salisbury experienced a stroke after testing positive for COVID-19. 

Colt Parris was treated at Columbia's Women's and Children's Hospital and is expected to fully recover. 

Colt's mother, Sara, took Colt into the ER on Dec. 15 because he wasn't able to hold down any fluids. She originally thought it was the flu, but he ended up testing positive for COVID-19. The following morning, she noticed Colt wasn't speaking normally.

"I just figured he's in so much pain, and he's so tired because he's not resting that he just doesn't have the energy to talk," Parris said.

She then noticed that when she tried handing him a stuffed animal, he reached all the way across his body with his non-dominant hand. That's because the stroke cut off blood supply to the left side of his brain, keeping him from moving his right arm and leg. 

Dr. Camilo Gomez, a neurologist at the hospital, said doctors were looking into the link between the virus and neurological issues.

"The COVID diagnosis is important because we think that the reason these patients with COVID, including this child, have strokes and a variety of other problems is that they have a propensity to form clots," Gomez said.

Dr. Gomez said his team rarely performs acute stroke interventions on children but it's not unheard of. He said helping Colt was the highlight of his week.

"We were thrilled," Gomez said. "It was one of the best things to happen to us all week last week because we were very busy treating very sick patients. And not everybody had a good outcome last week."

Parris said she didn't think children were at much risk of the virus because she hardly hears about toddlers getting it. She now knows that it's quite possible.

"I want people to definitely take it more serious as far as children go and just know that it can be a lot more serious than just the flu," she said. "You might not have any symptoms; we didn't have a clue that he even had it."

Dr. Gomez said the overwhelming majority of people who have blood clots form as a result of COVID-19 are patients who actually feel sick from the virus, not in those who don't have any symptoms.

He also said it's important to stay hydrated because the virus causes some degree of dehydration which also promotes clot formation.

Lastly, he said it's important for parents to realize that any change in neurologic function could mean their child is having a stroke. The issue with children is that when they have an acute stroke, sometimes they don't present in the classic or typical form that adults might expect. 

Parris said it's remarkable how well Colt is doing. He hasn't fully gotten back his speech and is still experiencing issues moving his right arm and leg, but she expects him to be back to normal following physical therapy.

• Thank You 5

Just an fyi for anyone who has any concerns about the vaccine. My sister got her first Pfizer injection last Monday.  It was available at the hospital where she works and she jumped into the line immediately.   

She's one of those people who is allergic to pretty much everything.  But she had no reaction at all to the shot.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 12
  • Love 1

On 12/27/2020 at 1:24 PM, clueliss said:

Actor Christian Kane shared on his Instagram today that his father has died of covid,  also that the man hadn’t left home in 12 months but contracted it anyway.  

So. . .Unless he believes in spontaneous generation, someone had to have brought the virus to him. Hmmm?

In other news, thanks to the widespread use of Azithromycin to prevent infections secondary to COVID-19, 2020 will be going out, not with a bang, but a clap. 

'Super Gonorrhea’ is spreading like wildfire thanks to COVID-19

2020 hasn’t been kind to anyone, but it’s almost over. Unfortunately, if you find yourself with a case of “Super Gonnorhea” you might feel the effects of this terrible year for an extended period of time. Doctors are now warning of the increasing spread of the antibiotic-resistant strain of STI, and they’re blaming the coronavirus pandemic for helping it gain momentum.

According to a report from The Sun, the problem has gotten so bad that the World Health Organization has taken notice. The issue is that as the coronavirus pandemic was ongoing, many clinics and hospitals used antibiotics in the treatment of patients and to prevent the cross-infection of hospitalized individuals. That overuse of antibiotics has given a boost to antibiotic-resistant gonorrhea, according to WHO.

<snip>

In the case of gonorrhea, the bacterium that causes the infection has, over time, adapted to common first-line treatments. In particular, the new “super” strain of the infection doesn’t respond to treatment with azithromycin, which has long been the go-to medication option.

https://bgr.com/2020/12/23/super-gonorrhea-coronavirus-antibiotic-spread/

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

17 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

. . .Unless he believes in spontaneous generation, someone had to have brought the virus to him. Hmmm?

Well presumably he was getting groceries at least delivered. My first thought was that he had home services or something similar and was exposed that way.

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

And why do parents assume - in a pandemic - that 'it's the flu'??

Because they're still remembering the "it only affects adults, so kids are fine" information.  The messaging here changed to "if you have symptoms get tested, no matter how old" which did mean that more people got kids tested.

23 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

That overuse of antibiotics has given a boost to antibiotic-resistant gonorrhea, according to WHO.

Oh yay, that was just what we needed. And you can guarantee it won't be the only bug too, sigh.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Medical staff are leaving small towns due to the toxicity of the mask debacle.

"Hard things should bring us together," Darnauer says. "And instead, this hard thing has driven a wedge between us."

That wedge is splitting off health care workers from communities that desperately need them.

More than a quarter of all the public health administrators in Kansas quit, retired or got fired this year, according to Vicki Collie-Akers, an associate professor of population health at the University of Kansas. Some of them got death threats. Some had to hire armed guards.

"These are leaders in their community," Collie-Akers says. "And they are leaving broken." Collie-Akers notes these professionals also leaving at a terrible time. The pandemic is still raging. Vaccines still need to get from cities to small towns and into people's arms; public health officers are as important as ever."

• Thank You 3

Congressman-elect, 41, dies of covid-19.

Congressman-elect Luke Letlow died Tuesday evening from complications with COVID-19, shaking the Louisiana political world weeks after his election to represent Louisiana's 5th District in Congress as the state's youngest U.S. representative. 

Letlow, 41, died at Ochsner-LSU Health Shreveport from “complications from COVID-19,” his spokesman, Andrew Bautsch, said in a statement.

Letlow was admitted to a Monroe hospital with COVID-19 symptoms on Dec. 19th before being transferred to the Shreveport hospital and moving to the intensive care unit on Dec. 23rd. Letlow is survived by his wife, Julie Barnhill Letlow, and two young children, Bautsch said.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic