IGNORED

2020 Non-Presidential Elections 2

GreyhoundFan

8 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Yes, he's not polling well. Couldn't happen to a nicer nazi guy.

Yeah I saw that too and as an Iowan it makes me happy that racist FUCK will be out of a job come January.  And while it's not likely given how Nazified north west Iowa is I hope the next rep is a Dem.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

"Steve King loses primary after racist comments"

Spoiler

(CNN)Nine-term Congressman Steve King of Iowa will lose his Republican primary race to state Sen. Randy Feenstra on Tuesday, CNN projected, after King's racist comments led to his ostracization in Washington and Feenstra mobilized conservative Republicans to his insurgent campaign.

"I called Randy Feenstra a little bit ago and conceded the race to him," King said in a video posted to Facebook early Wednesday morning. "And I pointed out that there's some powerful elements in the swamp that he's going to have an awfully hard time pushing back against them."

The primary fight was an undeniable referendum on King -- not on his conservatism, but on his effectiveness in office. His lack of power, far more than his specific words and history of remarks on race, became a central issue in this year's race, with opponents arguing that he is unable to represent their views in the House or to the administration.

King, an anti-immigration hardliner, had a well-documented history of controversial statements during his nine terms in office. But only after a New York Times interview in January 2019, in which the congressman questioned how "white nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization" became offensive, did House Republican leaders rebuke him by stripping him of his committee assignments. Last June, the Trump administration barred him from Air Force One when the President visited his state.

King has said that his words have been mischaracterized and taken out of context, blaming the media and Republican leaders for leading a vendetta against him.

"The Never Trumpers are the people who ginned this all up," King said in a recent debate, speaking with an air of defiance about the Republicans "who want Steve King out of the way."

In his concession speech, King said those forces pushed him out of office.

"This comes from an effort to push out the strongest voice for full spectrum, constitutional Christian conservatism that exists in the United States Congress," King said.

Feenstra was viewed as King's toughest opponent in a five-way race that included former state legislator Jeremy Taylor, businessmen Steve Reeder and Army veteran Bret Richards.

"I am truly humbled by the outpouring of support over the past 17 months that made tonight possible and I thank Congressman King for his decades of public service," Feenstra said in a statement. "As we turn to the General Election, I will remain focused on my plans to deliver results for the families, farmers and communities of Iowa. But first, we must make sure this seat doesn't land in the hands of Nancy Pelosi and her liberal allies in Congress. Tomorrow, we get back to work."

Feenstra had won marquee endorsements and financial support from conservative groups in Washington, including the Chamber of Commerce and the National Right to Life Committee. He told voters he wanted a seat on the House Agriculture Committee -- something King no longer has. And he boasted a much greater campaign war chest, reporting over $415,000 on hand at the end of March compared to fewer than $30,000 for King.

"The 4th District needs a seat at the table -- an effective conservative voice," Feenstra said in a recent debate. "Our district, our President, deserve an effective conservative leader in Congress."

GOP National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel tweeted congratulations to Feenstra early Wednesday and said that "King's white supremacist rhetoric is totally inconsistent with the Republican Party, and I'm glad Iowa Republicans rejected him at the ballot box."

The biggest uncertainty heading into Tuesday, according to Republicans strategists in Iowa, was the number of absentee ballots. For the first time, all Iowa voters were sent request forms for mail-in ballots and as of Tuesday, over 70,000 Republican ballots had been requested in the district, with nearly 60,000 already returned, according to the office of Iowa Secretary of State Paul Pate.

Two years ago, fewer than 3,000 absentee ballots were recorded. The dramatic uptick in absentee ballots appeared to help doom the longtime congressman by bringing in new Republican voters.

Bob Vander Plaats, a former King supporter and an influential Christian conservative, endorsed Feenstra, worried that if King wins the primary that Democrats would have a better shot to not only win his deep red district in northwest Iowa but also defeat President Donald Trump and Iowa Sen. Joni Ernst. Democrat J.D. Scholten, a former professional baseball player, came within three points of beating King in 2018 and is running again.

Last week, Vander Plaats told CNN there had been a "growing fatigue" with King in the 4th District and a "gradual clarity" that "his voice is no longer desired at the table."

King responded that Vander Plaats and Feenstra are sacrificing their principles "in their misguided effort to shut down real conservatives and hand this district over to RINOs and NeverTrumpers."

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

"Steve King loses primary after racist comments"

Hide contents

(CNN)Nine-term Congressman Steve King of Iowa will lose his Republican primary race to state Sen. Randy Feenstra on Tuesday, CNN projected, after King's racist comments led to his ostracization in Washington and Feenstra mobilized conservative Republicans to his insurgent campaign.

"I called Randy Feenstra a little bit ago and conceded the race to him," King said in a video posted to Facebook early Wednesday morning. "And I pointed out that there's some powerful elements in the swamp that he's going to have an awfully hard time pushing back against them."

The primary fight was an undeniable referendum on King -- not on his conservatism, but on his effectiveness in office. His lack of power, far more than his specific words and history of remarks on race, became a central issue in this year's race, with opponents arguing that he is unable to represent their views in the House or to the administration.

King, an anti-immigration hardliner, had a well-documented history of controversial statements during his nine terms in office. But only after a New York Times interview in January 2019, in which the congressman questioned how "white nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization" became offensive, did House Republican leaders rebuke him by stripping him of his committee assignments. Last June, the Trump administration barred him from Air Force One when the President visited his state.

King has said that his words have been mischaracterized and taken out of context, blaming the media and Republican leaders for leading a vendetta against him.

"The Never Trumpers are the people who ginned this all up," King said in a recent debate, speaking with an air of defiance about the Republicans "who want Steve King out of the way."

In his concession speech, King said those forces pushed him out of office.

"This comes from an effort to push out the strongest voice for full spectrum, constitutional Christian conservatism that exists in the United States Congress," King said.

Feenstra was viewed as King's toughest opponent in a five-way race that included former state legislator Jeremy Taylor, businessmen Steve Reeder and Army veteran Bret Richards.

"I am truly humbled by the outpouring of support over the past 17 months that made tonight possible and I thank Congressman King for his decades of public service," Feenstra said in a statement. "As we turn to the General Election, I will remain focused on my plans to deliver results for the families, farmers and communities of Iowa. But first, we must make sure this seat doesn't land in the hands of Nancy Pelosi and her liberal allies in Congress. Tomorrow, we get back to work."

Feenstra had won marquee endorsements and financial support from conservative groups in Washington, including the Chamber of Commerce and the National Right to Life Committee. He told voters he wanted a seat on the House Agriculture Committee -- something King no longer has. And he boasted a much greater campaign war chest, reporting over $415,000 on hand at the end of March compared to fewer than $30,000 for King.

"The 4th District needs a seat at the table -- an effective conservative voice," Feenstra said in a recent debate. "Our district, our President, deserve an effective conservative leader in Congress."

GOP National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel tweeted congratulations to Feenstra early Wednesday and said that "King's white supremacist rhetoric is totally inconsistent with the Republican Party, and I'm glad Iowa Republicans rejected him at the ballot box."

The biggest uncertainty heading into Tuesday, according to Republicans strategists in Iowa, was the number of absentee ballots. For the first time, all Iowa voters were sent request forms for mail-in ballots and as of Tuesday, over 70,000 Republican ballots had been requested in the district, with nearly 60,000 already returned, according to the office of Iowa Secretary of State Paul Pate.

Two years ago, fewer than 3,000 absentee ballots were recorded. The dramatic uptick in absentee ballots appeared to help doom the longtime congressman by bringing in new Republican voters.

Bob Vander Plaats, a former King supporter and an influential Christian conservative, endorsed Feenstra, worried that if King wins the primary that Democrats would have a better shot to not only win his deep red district in northwest Iowa but also defeat President Donald Trump and Iowa Sen. Joni Ernst. Democrat J.D. Scholten, a former professional baseball player, came within three points of beating King in 2018 and is running again.

Last week, Vander Plaats told CNN there had been a "growing fatigue" with King in the 4th District and a "gradual clarity" that "his voice is no longer desired at the table."

King responded that Vander Plaats and Feenstra are sacrificing their principles "in their misguided effort to shut down real conservatives and hand this district over to RINOs and NeverTrumpers."

This was nice news to wake up to. 

My favorite tweet about it so far:

"Steve King continues to honor the Confederacy by getting just destroyed on his home turf." ?

• Upvote 8

I know polls can and are often manipulated, but this is good. I keep praying Amy can pull it off:

image.png.5605fd20edc0162264ae3d8ec5e94270.png

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

The Lincoln Project is on a roll. Here's their latest, targeting Joni Ernst.

Edited by fraurosena
autocorrect issues
  • Upvote 4

This is utterly disgusting.

• Disgust 3
  • WTF 3

12 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

This is utterly disgusting.

Oh lovely (sarcasm). We all know how well it went when the Tea Party followers got themselves elected....

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

You guys, it turns out my optimism is not unfounded. This is what I mean when I say that voter turnout is going to be epic, no matter the amount of voter suppression. 

• Upvote 8

A Republican Congressman looks to be heading for the unemployment line come January because he wasn't reich wing enough for Virginia Republicans.

A freshman Virginia GOP congressman who angered social conservatives in his district when he officiated a gay wedding lost his party’s nomination.

U.S. Rep. Denver Riggleman lost a GOP convention Saturday that was done via drive-thru because of the coronavirus pandemic. He was defeated by Bob Good, a former official in the athletics department at Liberty University.

While the convention ended at 7 p.m., the vote tally was not announced until after 1 a.m. Sunday. Good won 58% of the vote, campaign manager Nancy Smith told The Associated Press. 5th District Republican Committee Chair Melvin Adams said 2,537 of the more than 3,500 registered delegates voted, news outlets reported.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, 47of74 said:

A Republican Congressman looks to be heading for the unemployment line come January because he wasn't reich wing enough for Virginia Republicans.

Riggleman is a teabagger. So, being primaried from the right is a surprise.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

A teabagger got teabagged by other teabaggers?  Sounds like a daisy chain teabagging to me.

• Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

But he performed a (probably first) wedding ceremony for da gays. What awful "family values". Now, if it were the third wedding ceremony, it would be totally okay, right Trumpists?

• Upvote 3

I love this ad. I love, love, love, love, love this ad. Oh, and did I say I love it?

• Love 5

MidasTouch also has some pretty good ads:

• Upvote 4

Joni is on the defensive!

• Upvote 4

Starting for a 2020 election cycle of the Senate/House races. 

When the US Chamber of Commerce doesn't like - Kris Kobach edition.  And Kansas really need to not elect him.  He'll try to turn the whole country into Brownbackistan.  This is the guy that Trump consulted about immigration policy.  

• Upvote 3

• GreyhoundFan pinned this topic

The Lincoln Project made this wonderful ad for Democrat Steve Bullock in MT:

• Upvote 4

Omg idk if anyone else from NE has brought it up, but the uh, democratic challenger to Ben Sasse(hole) flubbed big time and refuses to drop out. The entire NE Democratic Party publicly withdrew their support and endorsement and everything. Thought y’all should be aware of how the 2020 senate election in Nebraska is shaping up. Not that there was ever much of a chance to defeat Sasse in Nebraska. Should Janice’s drop out, he will be replaced by Alisha Shelton, a more than capable woman.

TW: Sexual harassment

Nebraska US Senate Democratic candidate is an unbelievable douche

What the Ultra Douchery, Batman

My state senator is amazing and she explains this whole basket of poop perfectly

Edited by VixenToast
Riffles. Damnable iPads.
  • WTF 4

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting turn out info:

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

14 hours ago, clueliss said:

I'm about to go research this one.  (I believe this is Congressman in Topeka not DC)

https://www.ksnt.com/elections/3-felony-criminal-charges-filed-against-steve-watkins/

OOOH dumbass listed UPS store as an addy!

And of course he trotted out the it was a mistake bullshit. 

The congressman and his staff have said he inadvertently listed his mailing address instead of his residential address by mistake.

Watkins filed a new form in December listing an address at an apartment complex about 2 miles north of the UPS store as his residence, but it was the address for the complex's office. That address was not in the same City Council district as the UPS store but in a district with no council race last year.

In January, Watkins filed another form listing another address for an apartment in the same complex as his residence.

The Shawnee County sheriff's department began investigating Watkins' voter registrations in December. In late May, Kagay said in an email that his office had reviewed the investigation and “requested follow up be conducted on a specific issue,” without being more specific.

• Thank You 3

• GreyhoundFan locked and unpinned this topic