IGNORED

Coronavirus 3

GreyhoundFan

I don't want to be intubated by anyone...

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 4

16 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

North Texas family shaken after 18 relatives hospitalized after a family surprise birthday party.

That crisis, all began on May 30 when just a single relative, unknowingly infected with COVID-19, interacted with seven family members at a surprise birthday party who later tested positive. 

This is basically what's part of what has happened here too - one person has managed to infect 7 people, who have in turn gone on to infect other family members at other events. And possibly some workmates and community members too. China started isolating people who tested positive and putting them in quarantine away from their families in Wuhan - I don't think that would work here, but it did stop the intra-family transmission. 

It's like life is imitating that Faberge Organics commercial from the '80s.

• Upvote 5

16 (of 302) NBA players tested positive for Covid.  (because the whole league is in Florida)

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2

Even Darth Vader Dick Cheney is wearing a mask.

• Upvote 9

Of course he is - he also didn't complain about bunker visits back in 2001

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

Of course he is - he also didn't complain about bunker visits back in 2001

And he didn't come out waving his penis substitute bible in the air after having people chemically shoved out of the way. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Even Darth Vader Dick Cheney is wearing a mask.

Please tell me I'm not the only one whose brain automatically added:

Spoiler

. . . or I'll shoot you in the face!

But, seriously, glad to see someone on the very conservative side speaking up.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

I believe I’m hearing on cnn this morning that we have 3 White House staffers with positive tests.  

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1

Update from Switzerland: Our daily cases are on the rise which shocks exactly no one with a bit of knowledge about the pandemic. Our government is VERY nervous by this development since they further eased the restrictions against expert recommendation just a week ago. The good thing is, they finally discuss making masks compulsory in public transportation, which they refused until now since they counted on the self-responsibility of everyone. My city saw its first superspreader event which happened in a club. The day after this was in the news people queued in front of that same club waiting to get in without proper distance or a mask. 

• Thank You 6

Quoting from Quinn yet again

Edited by clueliss
  • Upvote 10

And our case numbers have nearly doubled overnight to 75. Some of that (37 cases) is through community screening, some (14 cases) through contact tracing and testing of known cases, 1 from overseas and the rest are still being allocated to categories. Still discussion of hotspot lockdown, but no real consensus on how that will work exactly. Meanwhile some people employed through a labour agency who live in the hotspots have been told to stay home and apply for the dole. I am suspecting we may go back to a higher lockdown if this continues.

My area still has no confirmed cases, but given we border two local government areas with rising case numbers it's pretty much a matter of time. Meh.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

We currently have 101 active cases.  (we were down to a handful).  Most of them in the 15-29 and 30-44 age ranges.  

And I didn't want to start a thread just for this - but how are the Scandinavians doing considering we're now visiting 1986/Chernobyl with a mystery radiation cloud?

• Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I'm not sure if this belongs in Corona or George Floyd.

Someone texted The Mayor of KCMO - "I hope you swing from a tree" - for issuing mask order.

• Upvote 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 4
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 7

So 10 local government areas have been ordered back into full lockdown again for the next month (quote from a friend: "I feel like our suburb has been sent to our room to Think About What We Have Done.") I have no idea how this is going to work not least because the local government boundaries are literally just lines on a map - a surprisingly high number of people couldn't tell you where the suburb boundary lies and I fully expect people to be surprised at being stopped when they thought the boundary was the other side of the street. 

I also fully expect this will end up being reinposed across the state as people not in those areas go "oh we're fine then" and spread disease unwittingly. 

Until then I guess I'll keep going as normal (which is pretty much stay home apart from walking in the reserve and shopping early Sunday morning when it's quiet) and hope we don't. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

On 6/27/2020 at 1:16 PM, clueliss said:

so someone who had gone to Florida, returned to NY, attended a graduation ceremony and now there are other cases from this graduation ceremony.

I need to pass this story along to my fiancé. He got super angry at his mother on the phone yesterday (for good reason). She is in her 70's and wanted to visit her sister and brother-in-law this weekend (they are in their late 60's and 80's, I believe) and found out they went to a high school graduation party yesterday- there's a group photo of everyone at the party clumped together with not a mask in sight.....my fiancé was like "you cannot go visit them. wait two weeks. what they did was stupid. you cannot go!" There were a ton of teenagers and college age kids in the photo. I don't imagine they've all been great at following social distancing...

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 5

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

By the way, H1N1 (swine flu) May be developing.

Spiffy. (Read in sarcastic tone).

Wtf 2020? Was it really only 6 months ago when I was hoping 2020 would be better than the ending I had to 2019?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 3

5 hours ago, clueliss said:

By the way, H1N1 (swine flu) May be developing.

Who had this one on their Bingo card for 2020? ?

I have no words ? 

• Upvote 8
  • Disgust 3

Is it sad that I may have muttered with H1N1 - at least we have a vaccine for that one.

• Love 4

Doctors urge GOP to halt Texas convention as virus surges

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — As the Texas GOP presses ahead with plans for a July convention amid a surge in coronavirus cases, the state’s largest medical group Tuesday urged the party to reconsider before Republican activists flock to Houston, which has become one of the nation’s most troubling hotspots.

The request came as Texas set a new record high for COVID-19 cases Tuesday.

The state’s GOP leaders have maintained that the three-day convention, which typically draws thousands of attendees, will go forward and that face coverings will not be mandated, even as Republican Gov. Greg Abbott urges the public to wear them.

In Florida, doctors have also called for pushing back the Republican National Convention that is scheduled for August, when President Donald Trump is expected to accept the GOP nomination.

The new plea from the Texas Medical Association, which says it represents more than 50,000 doctors and medical students, amounts to one of the most visible calls yet for Republicans to cancel their in-person convention. The organization is also a sponsor of the convention, which is scheduled to begin July 16.

“While much of our state has so far been spared the brunt of the coronavirus attack, our metropolitan areas in general – and Houston in particular – are now among the national epicenters of current COVID-19 outbreaks,” the group’s president, Dr. Diana Fite, wrote in a letter to Texas GOP officials.

She continued: “This is just not the time to bring thousands of the party faithful from around the state to an indoor meeting in a county that, as I write, reports more than 18,000 active COVID-19 cases.”

Texas health officials on Tuesday reported a daily state record of nearly 7,000 new confirmed coronavirus cases and more than 6,500 hospitalized COVID-19 patients, which is also a state high.

Texas GOP Chairman James Dickey, who previously described the convention as a chance to “lead the way” in promoting personal responsibility, issued a statement in which he thanked the doctors for the letter but was noncommittal about whether it would lead to any changes.

“We are taking all input from those involved with our Convention, including that from our Party leadership and our delegates, very seriously,” Dickey said.

Houston Fire Chief Samuel Peña said Monday that the city’s 911 call volume had increased by 30% over the past month, with most of these calls coming from people reporting respiratory difficulties. The saturation at local hospitals has resulted in more than 560 instances the past three weeks in which city ambulances had to wait for more than an hour before they were able to transfer patients to medical facilities, he said.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

How to tell when your state is in big trouble: When a popular grocery store chain cares more about your life than your governor.

H-E-B to require all shoppers to wear masks amid COVID-19 spike

Spoiler

HOUSTON, Texas -- H-E-B officials confirmed via email June 30 that all stores will require shoppers and employees to wear masks beginning July 1.

Lisa Helfman, public affairs director at H-E-B Houston, said in an emailed statement that more than 85% of H-E-B stores are already operating under mandatory mask ordinances set by local governments, so this move will extend the order to all other stores. Numerous Texas cities and counties began announcing mandatory mask orders in mid-June.

"As an essential service provider during the pandemic, H-E-B is focused on the health and safety of our partners, customers and continuous service to our communities," she said. "Masks are a proven way to slow the spread of COVID-19 and allow businesses to operate safely during the pandemic."

At a June 30 Fort Bend County Commissioners Court meeting, H-E-B President Scott McClelland said he believes masks are an important component in keeping communities safe. In communities that do not have a mask ordinance, McClelland said the company has seen mask usership fall below 50%-with Montgomery County H-E-B stores seeing only about 30% of shoppers wear masks.

"We have an opportunity here to choose life," he said at the meeting. "At the same time, I understand the pressure in terms of looking at the business component of this, but if we don't choose life ... we will be deemed by history harshly in terms of our responsibility to manage our way through the coronavirus."

For the non-Texans, Fort Bend and Montgomery counties are part of the Greater Houston area.

The "pro-God, pro-gun, pro-life" folks in my area are going to throw a shit fit of Biblical proportions when someone at H-E-B tells them to put on a face mask or leave the store. :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

8 hours ago, Smash! said:

Who had this one on their Bingo card for 2020? ?

I have no words ? 

Me! Me! It's August, preceded by "supervolcano" and followed by "alien invasion" and "methgators".  

• Haha 9

A friend sent this to me and yes, at this point, that's how I'm rolling into July. Of course with a mask and all my buddies 6 feet away.

FB_IMG_1593583034744.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic