IGNORED

Lori Alexander 76: Ken Advises Saving?

Speaking of comments that make one seethe, Lori's nattering on about the evils of public school and the joys of homeschooling yet again today. A smattering of infuriating comments:

I always hated school and I will not be putting my future children anywhere near a public school. Most the teachers are drug addled and out of their minds

Amen tel it like it is. Never used public schools that’s just a place for liberal teachers to teach their agenda and push their beliefs in kids heads like atheism

Public schools are the stench and rot of society! Government public schools should be abolished because they are child abuse.

Public school cestpool [sic] of filth

I will never understand the typical mother's fear of homeschooling. Economic concerns, sure. Socialization fears, yeah, get those addressed. But the part where you just teach your kid about math and grammar and history? The only special skill teachers have is classroom management, which isn't necessary at home. Teachers aren't any smarter than mothers are.

Many teachers are simply evil. A few "good teachers" are drowned out by the bad ones

Drug-addled, evil, stench, cess (cest?) pool, filth ...

I really have to wonder just where these people live that their public schools are so bad. I mean, what the hell? :ETONNER:

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 7

On 5/20/2020 at 9:29 AM, Melissa1977 said:

I have checked both Ken and Steve professional webpages. I'm surprised that they show their families there, and say they are married, number of kids, hobbies, etc. 

My question for US posters is: is it normal for US companies? In Spain, a dentist company webpage would list their doctors and maybe where they studied, but would never inform about marriages, kids or other personal data. It would be considered weird.

So I wonder if it is just a cultural difference between countries or it's an Alexander's thing.

On 5/20/2020 at 12:17 PM, wallysmommy said:

Usually the corporate bios are 90% professional and education, and a sentence or two like, Mary is married, has 3 sons, and resided in Small Town since 2005.

I see this a lot around here - "Dr. So and so grew up in this place, graduated with this and that degree from this college, and specializes in this thing. She started her profession working in this place, and has worked here since whenever. She enjoys a hobby and spending time with her husband and 2 kids." It doesn't seem strange to me at all, I think it's just a way to personalize them a bit. I know my dentist has 2 kids - both times she gave birth they had to reschedule my appointments because the kids were a couple weeks earlier than expected - but I know their names only because I made them autograph books for their first trip to Walt Disney World. She knows my family and I love the place and asked me to send her some advice on the trip, then commissioned the autograph books after my dad mentioned them to her at his appointment.

My former dentist sat next to me in the church choir for a while. Small town living!

We don't have a ton of personal info about our staff on our company website, but we do have a little. Some people don't care, but some people feel more comfortable working with someone they know a little about. We tend to share more stuff like that on our social media than on the website, however. 

• Upvote 5

I had a dentist once who was a deacon at the church my husband pastored. I think he worked on the teeth of most of the people in the congregation. 

Subject change: I saw this on fb. I think it's cool for girls to learn about all the "badass" women in the Bible. 

https://truthbecomesher.com/pages/bible-belles

And Oh my goodness! Deborah is the Belle of Leadership!

Lori can kiss my butt. 

• Upvote 8

A horrible misquote on Lori's blog today, the guest poster is claiming CS Lewis said something that is clearly written in modern day syntax & context. 

I have to wonder if she has ever read something by CS Lewis or even knows his theology. 

It's almost laughable. That's what happens when you deny women education, or you are just a dense person. 

Shame on Lori for posting it and none of the leg humping men for calling it out. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

@Loveday, recently some people on my town’s FB community page were commiserating over the fact that the last Catholic parochial school in our town of ~50,000 had closed. (At its peak, there had been seven parochial schools, one for each parish.) A guy popped in to say that *his* church’s school was going strong. I pointed out that the idea of sending a child to a “Christian” school that teaches young-Earth creationism instead of real science didn’t appeal to me or to most people. He demanded to know whether evolution was the hill I wanted to die on, and whether I preferred the “filth” of the public schools. I told him, yes—and that my family had encountered no “filth” in our school system, just a top-flight curriculum. I checked out his FB: he’s the assistant pastor of the YEC church the school is affiliated with, and is a plumber or something who got his degree at Pensacola Christian College. (Nothing against plumbers or anyone in the skilled trades—I just found this incongruous.) I then blocked him on FB, a fate I reserve for creationists, racists, sexists, anti-vaxxers, homophobes, and transphobes.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 5

The worst teachers I’ve worked with were all substantially smarter than Lori and her followers. 

• Upvote 11

Random funny thought:. I didn't mind going to church with my dentist, but it would be wierd to sit in church with my gynocologist. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

Random funny thought:. I didn't mind going to church with my dentist, but it would be wierd to sit in church with my gynocologist. 

My gp referred me to an orthopedist once and when the nurse came back with the details, I said “oh, wow, I went to college with him”. She asked if I wanted a different doctor. I said “no, it’s my elbow, it’s fine. It’s not like it’s a gynecologist”. Her answer: “oh, if it were a gynecologist, I would’ve just turned back around to go book you with someone else. That would just be awkward!”  ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

I had a hysterectomy many years ago. I knew the surgeon slightly, and that was ok. Then when they wheeled me in, just before the knockout drugs, they introduced the rest of the surgical team and there was my family doctor/neighbor/friend as the assistant.  (We lived in a very small town where everyone knows everyone.) There was no time to say, oh please, not him, so I just had to get over being embarrassed the next time I saw him socially.

• Upvote 4

F399ED7C-2158-4113-BAB1-3CE194D72A63.thumb.jpeg.b9078dc83e95759df2a8b46c27bbf90a.jpeg

obviously lori learned nothing while “homeschooling” her children. I don’t know why Lori pushes homeschooling. She was barely able to do it. Teachers are educating the next generation. We are supposed to be moving forward as humans not backwards. I know she has used the argument that past presidents were homeschooled. When they were homeschooled education was different. It takes a lot of work to properly homeschool. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

44 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

F399ED7C-2158-4113-BAB1-3CE194D72A63.thumb.jpeg.b9078dc83e95759df2a8b46c27bbf90a.jpeg

obviously lori learned nothing while “homeschooling” her children. I don’t know why Lori pushes homeschooling. She was barely able to do it. Teachers are educating the next generation. We are supposed to be moving forward as humans not backwards. I know she has used the argument that past presidents were homeschooled. When they were homeschooled education was different. It takes a lot of work to properly homeschool. 

One reason teaching is dominated by women is because it traditionally hasn't paid well enough for men to feel good about their earnings, and to be able to support a family on one income like some men think they're supposed to do.   I think we need way more men in elementary and middle schools, but there's no financial incentive for them to do it and so many perceive that women should be working with children (kind of like Lori...)  Let's face it - there's no prestige in teaching in the US and many men think that's essential.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

8 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

Who was the last homeschooled president and when was he born? Because 19th century education was focused on the classics, a well educated gentleman back than looks different to what we expect of a well educated person now. With the rapid development of the natural sciences a lot of the education changed.  And with the tax comment Lori nailed a huge reason for her closure of public schools right on the head. She (ah, well Ken really) doesn't want to pay for other people's kids to be educated via taxes. It made a lot of sense now.

And with private enterprises, I have a different opinion what the should be state provided. Water and sewage, electricity, roads, public education, public transport and hospitals should be government owned to provide a basic provision for people, because we can see how bad things go when they go private when they forgoe maintenance in favour of a higher profit.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 11

Lori keeps harping on the evils of public schools, but when people try to remind her that some children have abusive homes and are actually safer at school she comes back with they can be abused at school. 

In all seriousness, was anyone here ever beaten for four hours by their teacher???  Children are more likely to be abused at home than at school because schools do background checks. They have cameras, windows, and lots of eople walking around.  That's not to say it's a guarantee nothing could happen, but it's far less likely than in a private home.

The more likely problem at school is bullying from other kids. Then you have to deal with the administration. If they don't handle it.

Edited by Free Jana Duggar
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

Why does Lori think everyone would get a huge tax cut if women stayed home? 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

When did Lori become an economist who knows where all the money would go? Honestly in Illinois if we didn’t have public schools half of the money would disappear and the other half would go towards fixing our roads, but only a little bit. We are very protective of our potholes apparently. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 4

I looked at their tax bill for 2019 -- $7800 of which more than half goes to schools.  She's pissed about that.  It's not about concern for children, it's about her fat wallet.  BTW, their house is in a trust probably for inheritance purposes.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

35 minutes ago, Sarah92 said:

When did Lori become an economist who knows where all the money would go? Honestly in Illinois if we didn’t have public schools half of the money would disappear and the other half would go towards fixing our roads, but only a little bit. We are very protective of our potholes apparently. 

Exactly. And even if some was no longer charged to taxpayers, using the info @wallysmommy found, if Ken and Lori got back what now supports schools, they’d have an extra $3900. The Christian school I taught at 20 years ago charged around $4000 per student (it varied by grade level and there were discounts based on kids per family). They would have back in their pockets not even enough money to send one kid to Christian school. In the Midwest. 20 years ago. Never mind that that wasn’t enough for the school—it closed due to bankruptcy around 2004. Just looked up tuition at a nearby Christian school that’s been thriving for 40 years. Currently starts at nearly $9000 a year per student.  
She has no idea what education costs. The numbers would not come close to adding up in her little fantasy. 

• Upvote 13

1 hour ago, wallysmommy said:

I looked at their tax bill for 2019 -- $7800 of which more than half goes to schools.  She's pissed about that.  It's not about concern for children, it's about her fat wallet.  BTW, their house is in a trust probably for inheritance purposes.  

Like with 99 per cent of reasons people do or say bad thinks, it's boiled down to greed. Well greed and injured egos.

And thanks for the info, the 7800 $ are only property taxes? Is this much or not so for her McMansion in San Diego?

• Upvote 7

Another reason women make up the majority of teachers is that with the real fear of sexual abuse, men don't get hired as often as women do. My brother got his teaching credential, and ended up getting a job working for the county because the only jobs he could get as a teacher was as a substitute. Of course, he makes more money working for the county than he would have if he got a full time teaching position.

• Upvote 5

34 minutes ago, klein_roeschen said:

Like with 99 per cent of reasons people do or say bad thinks, it's boiled down to greed. Well greed and injured egos.

And thanks for the info, the 7800 $ are only property taxes? Is this much or not so for her McMansion in San Diego?

It's more than triple our property taxes, but for San Diego probably about right.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, ADoyle90815 said:

Another reason women make up the majority of teachers is that with the real fear of sexual abuse, men don't get hired as often as women do. My brother got his teaching credential, and ended up getting a job working for the county because the only jobs he could get as a teacher was as a substitute. Of course, he makes more money working for the county than he would have if he got a full time teaching position.

The elementary I sub in most had three male classroom teachers this last year in fifth and second grade and it’s a small school. School my mother worked at had 5 or more men on the teaching staff every year in the 80s and 90s. A former student of mine has taught fifth grade for nine years and is moving to kindergarten in the fall. Not only is he male, he’s also gay and out at work. Middle schools I’ve been in are about 50-50 male/female staff.  High schools often have more male than female teachers.  That was true at my last FT job where we had over twice as many men as women on the high school teaching staff. 
And I’m in the conservative Midwest.  Gender might not have been the issue.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

The principal at a private Christian school I worked at flat out said they would not hire a man for a job below 5th grade.  Not sure that was legal, but nobody complained.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 2

Lori couldn't figure out how to get in the car and leave her house during the wildfires but she feels competent to teach geometry, chemistry, expository writing.......  

(Remember kids, Ken said that her system can't handle stress.  Translation:  My wife is useless when problems arise. ) 

I would have hoped, at this stage in her life, she would have enough self-awareness to admit, " Hey, I tried to be a teacher and it was very difficult for me.  I couldn't cut it but I have such respect for those than do."  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

Today's Facebook gem is actually from Dale Partridge's page, but I believe this lady is/was one of Lori's leghumpers.

Her point is to wear a mask to protect others, which I appreciate, but I never knew there were no germs 2000 years ago!  SMH

nogerms.JPG.65157649b76b39441ba51c79381929a3.JPG

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 2

2 hours ago, klein_roeschen said:

I live in New Jersey and $7800 for a McMansion is cheap!   

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic