Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
HerNameIsBuffy

Seewalds 43: Pants may Have Been Worn Or Not

Recommended Posts

QuiverFullofBooks
10 hours ago, SassyPants said:

And if they are working in a big, family business or legitimate, family businesses , how come they do not highlight those businesses or that big family business via their show? They have the perfect platform to inform the world on all their knowledge, expertise and skills. Man, what better to indorse and educate about a lifestyle  than  to actually show the world by way of your actions?  There is a difference between a successful, legal business and the scam JB Duggar has perpetrated for a decade +, while at the same time advocating to diminish the rights of others. 

I think TLC may have concerns about not advertising their businesses. It’s not necessarily Jim Bob’s decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kmachete14

Jessa put a YouTube video up about hospitality. Again, I'm struck by how "off the cuff" and well-spoken she sounds as opposed to Joy. Maybe in the real world Joy would never have been a good public speaker / the most book smart, but the difference is SO stark. In my mind it shows how SODRT education works (even with stupid wisdom booklets) when you don't have that many kids, but by the time Joy was learning -- forget it. 

I can't help feeling like Jessa getting away from the compound would help her and Ben. Everyone always debates it, but I wonder what Ben's long term plan *really* is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DalmatianCat
3 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I think TLC may have concerns about not advertising their businesses. It’s not necessarily Jim Bob’s decision.

Yep! Plus in property management they would have to get permission to film inside the properties that were being rented from the renters (most people would probably not want to be filmed for their landlord’s reality show when he was inspecting the property). That would leave them with filming...the paperwork side of property management?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
allthegoodnamesrgone

Apparently I'm following Jessa on Twitter, I didn't' realize that, she's blocked me on IG. Anyway, she posted a video of Ben reading to all 3 kiddos, an age appropriate book as well. I'm mostly shocked that it wasn't a Christian book, nothing outlandish, The Tales of Benjamin Bunny.  Most importantly Spurgeon & Henry were both interested in the story, and Spurgy was even interacting and Ben was very patient with him, & Ben does voices, I love that. I know I know, horrible beliefs, but those babies are innocent and deserve good parents, who read them fun stories with silly voices.  I really hope Jessa & Ben stop having kids at or 4. I can see Jessa trying for a little sister for Ivy. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pecansforeveryone

While I think Ben and Jessa have a fairly solid marriage by fundie standards I do sometimes wonder about their future. Jessa seems very loyal to the Duggar brand and I could her having a hard time if Ben moved them out of state for a ministry opportunity. While Jill got a lot of commentary on how she handled life in EL Salvador (and that's fair and fIne), I am not convinced Jessa would have handled it all that much better. I think she would have struggled greatly as well. Jessa is and always has been solidly in her comfort zone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Idlewild
29 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

While I think Ben and Jessa have a fairly solid marriage by fundie standards I do sometimes wonder about their future. Jessa seems very loyal to the Duggar brand and I could her having a hard time if Ben moved them out of state for a ministry opportunity. While Jill got a lot of commentary on how she handled life in EL Salvador (and that's fair and fIne), I am not convinced Jessa would have handled it all that much better. I think she would have struggled greatly as well. Jessa is and always has been solidly in her comfort zone. 

Is he likely to get a ministry opportunity where he isn’t trading solidly on the Duggar name? His previous efforts have been uninspiring - who can forget his video message on ‘ why walks are nice’ ?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snarkasarus Rex
8 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

Is he likely to get a ministry opportunity where he isn’t trading solidly on the Duggar name? His previous efforts have been uninspiring - who can forget his video message on ‘ why walks are nice’ ?? 

OMG, that's my favorite Bin video...'you may not have thought of this, but taking family walks is a great activity."😂

Ben is (was?) interning at a local church, so maybe he has something going there.  They are very quiet about it, so who knows.  They never announced his graduation from Moody, so I was wondering about that as well.  You'd think they'd at least mention it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SassyPants

Ben seems very natural with his kids, maybe because he was the oldest of a larger family, so he’s use to the noise and activity levels that surround kids. Well, and he’s barely an adult himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glasgowghirl

Parenting definitely came more naturally to Ben than it did Derick, while I'm sure Derick loves his boy's he often seemed awkward around them and his attempts at interacting with them seemed forced. It may be down to his age and the fact he had more siblings than Derick but I also think it's down to personality as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SassyPants
On 1/13/2020 at 4:58 PM, kmachete14 said:

Jessa put a YouTube video up about hospitality. Again, I'm struck by how "off the cuff" and well-spoken she sounds as opposed to Joy. Maybe in the real world Joy would never have been a good public speaker / the most book smart, but the difference is SO stark. In my mind it shows how SODRT education works (even with stupid wisdom booklets) when you don't have that many kids, but by the time Joy was learning -- forget it. 

I can't help feeling like Jessa getting away from the compound would help her and Ben. Everyone always debates it, but I wonder what Ben's long term plan *really* is. 

I do agree that Jessa, when recorded, does present as bright, articulate and at ease. However, No matter that skill set, without education, skills, a solid and current work history and a solid plan, and in the presence of uncontrolled reproduction, the Seewalds will not fare as well as the Forsyths, Dillards or Vuolos. In the absence of true education and licensure, helping your MIL homeschool her children really does not count. I have no idea if Ben is in a teacher credential program, although if he was, it would likely have been mentioned somewhere along the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Idlewild

I’m sure we all know young men who are engaged and loving with their children yet still manage to hold down jobs & complete training or education to provide for their families. We set the bar very low for Duggar husbands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea
On 1/13/2020 at 7:58 PM, kmachete14 said:

In my mind it shows how SODRT education works (even with stupid wisdom booklets) when you don't have that many kids, but by the time Joy was learning -- forget it.

To be fair to Joy, I know many people who graduated from Ontario public high schools and are that shy/awkward/not well-spoken. It might be more a personality thing.

Some of Jessa's older posts about abortion etc. don't strike me as very critically-minded or deeply intelligent, but I think she's found her niche talking about relatable mom things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SassyPants
1 hour ago, Idlewild said:

I’m sure we all know young men who are engaged and loving with their children yet still manage to hold down jobs & complete training or education to provide for their families. We set the bar very low for Duggar husbands. 

Actually, it’s the Duggars and others of their ilk that set the bar so low for all of their children, and themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pecansforeveryone

I don't think Ben would be offered all that many preaching opportunities. I also find him a less than engaging speaker. However, there is no shortage of ministry "grunt" work that can be done in a church or even para-church organization like Voice of the Martyrs. For me, the big question is would Ben ever humble himself and take that leap of faith to do "grunt" work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SassyPants
1 hour ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I don't think Ben would be offered all that many preaching opportunities. I also find him a less than engaging speaker. However, there is no shortage of ministry "grunt" work that can be done in a church or even para-church organization like Voice of the Martyrs. For me, the big question is would Ben ever humble himself and take that leap of faith to do "grunt" work?

We won’t know until the show ends. Most of these people are happy taking the easy money for doing very little work. It’s been a long time since any of these people were hoarding food in the bathroom. Necessity being the mother and all...at this time there is no need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Idlewild
1 hour ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I don't think Ben would be offered all that many preaching opportunities. I also find him a less than engaging speaker. However, there is no shortage of ministry "grunt" work that can be done in a church or even para-church organization like Voice of the Martyrs. For me, the big question is would Ben ever humble himself and take that leap of faith to do "grunt" work?

Ben, Derick and Jeremy didn’t hitch their wagons to the Duggar train so they could do ‘grunt’ work! They saw submissive women, easy TV money and in Jeremy’s case, fame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LacyMay

I can't see Ben being a head preacher but I could 100% see him getting into Youth Ministry. 

He's young and approachable looking clean cut but not frumpy. He has the attractive wife and young kids but gives off the vive that you could find him playing soccer in the park or something. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HeartsAFundie
On 1/12/2020 at 4:39 PM, Pecansforeveryone said:

I am as disturbed at Ben being a young husband and father as I am at Joy and Kendra being young wives and mothers. 

Agreed.  I could never picture my son, who's a year younger than Ben, as a married father with three kids at this point in his life.  He's too busy working and hanging out with his college buddies and girlfriend.  

 

Edited by HeartsAFundie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlessingsVonFundiePants

Jessa’s YouTube video of Henry’s “one present per day for week but no toys” birthday is a bit sad. I get what they are trying to do, but wouldn’t you start this on Spurgeon’s birthday, as the older one who already understands how birthdays work?  It seem like a little thing, but poor Spurgeon has to watch Henry get a gift everyday and keep sweet about it. He must be sitting their thinking “my birthday only lasted a day??? How come Henry gets a week?” 

Also, buy some gift wrap for crying out loud. I agree the birthday cards for little kids are dumb but a little birthday wrapping paper at least makes it special. Poor Henry doesn’t understand how opening his gifts is any different from opening the mail.

Edited by BlessingsVonFundiePants
Riffles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peaches-n-Beans
2 hours ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

Jessa’s YouTube video of Henry’s “one present per day for week but no toys” birthday is a bit sad. I get what they are trying to do, but wouldn’t you start this on Spurgeon’s birthday, as the older one who already understands how birthdays work?  It seem like a little thing, but poor Spurgeon has to watch Henry get a gift everyday and keep sweet about it. He must be sitting their thinking “my birthday only lasted a day??? How come Henry gets a week?” 

Also, buy some gift wrap for crying out loud. I agree the birthday cards for little kids are dumb but a little birthday wrapping paper at least makes it special. Poor Henry doesn’t understand how opening his gifts is any different from opening the mail.

That is so sad. Why no toys? What's the logic behind no toys? I know kids accumulate a lot but like get like one toy for the birthday at least and have them pick a few to donate or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlessingsVonFundiePants

@Peaches-n-Beans every three year old wants a bird feeder for their birthday (especially one that wasn’t gift wrapped! It’s one step up from not giving a gift at all). Because what’s more fun for a toddler than a gift that they can’t reach or interact with, but only quietly observe through binoculars. Nothing screams FUN like sitting quietly! 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
haroldtheyrefundies
1 hour ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

That is so sad. Why no toys? What's the logic behind no toys? I know kids accumulate a lot but like get like one toy for the birthday at least and have them pick a few to donate or something. 

I mean to be fair, we just had Christmas like a few months ago so I feel like Jessa might have wanted to try something different since they probably got a lot of toys from extended family and such so that might her logic here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlessingsVonFundiePants

@haroldtheyrefundies i get her logic too (though as a February baby myself  I call bulls*** on getting practical gifts because a bday is close to Christmas, I hated that when I was little). Even shitty gifts should be gift wrapped though, if only to prevent the moment when Henry opens the box and Jessa didn’t know if the feeder was made of GLASS or not

Edited by BlessingsVonFundiePants
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FleeJanaFree

I like to gift wrap everything separately for kids, even tiny things, because as a kid, ripping off the paper was the best part! As an adult, I feel guilt doing this for environmental reasons.  It is a waste of paper. I won't snark on that. The practical gifts only made me a bit sad, though it's not the end of the world.

I do think Jill could learn some lessons about presentation in videos from Jessa though! Jill's always seem like such a click-grab. I don't watch Jessa's videos often, but this one seemed such high-quality (Presentation, edits, time efficiency, etc). compared to Jill's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Free Felicity

I love wrapping gifts, but I also feel bad about the paper waste. Mostly I'm keeping my gift wrap bags and reusing the same ones year to year. It's still festive but not quite as wasteful. I'm not perfect though, I still wrap some things with paper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.