IGNORED

Maxwell 34: Vest Management While Climbing a 14er

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, usmcmom said:

I am believing, more and more, that this is one of the main reasons Steve and Teri will never let “the girls” get married.  Imagine; not only would the schedule at Headquarters be turned upside down; but also the schedules at all the outposts. Who will help the young mothers prepare for the next baby? There are now FOUR other houses to clean, FOUR other freezers to fill and FOUR other crews to babysit. Taking away all that free help will throw the whole Maxwell empire into a tizzy. 

Nope! Those girls can’t get married. The extended family depends on them. I wouldn’t be surprised if that is one of the lies they feed the daughters - that they are being selfless and godly in sacrificing marriage to help other households. 

I often wonder if the Maxwell daughters-in-law feel guilty or embarrassed for using the aunties like they do. Sometimes I read a post and think “Just WHAT DOES Melanie do all day.”  The aunties are sent over quite often to help with both large crews. 

Well, except eventually the ABC girls and Ruthie and Lydia would be old enough to be cousin-moms, so that would be awfully short sighted, if it's true.

Not that I'm wishing it on them, to be clear.

• Upvote 5

Roast turkey isn't generally bad for someone with heart disease, is it? I mean as far as the traditional "Thanksgiving meal" goes, it all depends on how you cook and serve it, the sides, portion sizes, etc., but I thought turkey itself was considered a fairly good choice?

And while it varies by brand/type (and to be fair, I don't know which they ate), a lot of veggie burgers aren't particularly healthy.  Some are very high in saturated fat.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/great-veggie-burger-debate-are-they-actually-good-you

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/impossible-and-beyond-how-healthy-are-these-meatless-burgers-2019081517448

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

The current advice given to the cardiac patients I know who have had heart attacks is to go as vegan as they possibly can.  The doctors want their heart attack patients to eat as little cholesterol as possible.  My neighbor has cut out even chicken breast along with turkey.  She is having a little fish three or four days a week.  It depends on Steve's family history, but he quite likely is a plaque depositor like my neighbor who inherited it from both parents.  Cutting almost all cholesterol from the diet is the only way to stay within the strict limits to avoid another heart attack or so her cardiologist says.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Sarah writes that she's thankful for parents who encourage their children to be productive in their single years.

Do they imagine most single 20, 30, 40 year olds sitting around doing nothing while waiting to get married?

• Upvote 19
  • Haha 8
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

The current advice given to the cardiac patients I know who have had heart attacks is to go as vegan as they possibly can.

I ended up being on a fb page for those following Rip Esselstyn's "Plant Strong" Engine 2 diet.  There is no added oil or fat of any kind.  plantstrong.com

• Upvote 4

I’m glad he’s following his doctor’s advice. It doesn’t surprise me that he’s able to be “extreme” about it, though. That’s how he lives. Why do something 100% when Stevie can do it 150%?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, kpmom said:

Sarah writes that she's thankful for parents who encourage their children to be productive in their single years.

Do they imagine most single 20, 30, 40 year olds sitting around doing nothing while waiting to get married?

At 19 I was working full time, to help pay the bills at my moms, taking care of my dying dad, and going to community college almost full time. I usually took three classes. To live at home I was expected to work or go to school. My mom wanted me to do both. She knew the value of a college degree, because she didn’t have one and finding a full time job to support a family of five is hard to get when you don’t have a degree. College, working full time, and taking care of my dad taught me time management. I didn’t need a schedule for that.  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 11

4 hours ago, kpmom said:

This!

I didn't get married until I was 2 weeks shy of being 30. I spent the years between 16 & then....working. Being productive. accomplishing things, finding my life path, making choices, paying bills, living my damn life. 

I got divorced at 43 and since then, as a single adult, I have been...working. Being productive, accomplishing things, finding my path, making choices, paying bills, living my damn life. 

In between, I was married and you know what I did during those years? You guessed it....

I know there are many fundie SAHD's who are spending their single years being as delicate as they can manage / get away with - it's just odd that that's a fundie thing, and the Maxwell fundies seem to rail against it. It's not like they're even insulting secular people. They're kind of going in on their own. 

• Upvote 15

26 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

I’m glad he’s following his doctor’s advice. It doesn’t surprise me that he’s able to be “extreme” about it, though. That’s how he lives. Why do something 100% when Stevie can do it 150%?

I dunno, his plate just doesn't scream healthy to me.

DSC_1561-768x513.jpg.1ed01f00fdb19e8aeac9edc7f337ad0e.jpg

It looks like a Costco hamburger bun with a big glob of ketchup, a bottle of Worcestershire sauce right next to the plate, and not a whole vegetable in sight.

I should probably shut up about this, because I don't know exactly what he ate, or what his doctor recommended, but I'd bet $5 and the cheese paper sandwich that he's just eating a different variation on the highly processed, sodium laden food he always has, while making a show of being virtuous.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, kpmom said:

that sentence made me genuinely angry.  so Steve, and by extension Sarah, think that they are the only family so damn special that they're the only ones to expect able-bodied and -minded adults to be productive?  Fuck off, Steve.  I learned how to help my dad fell dead trees as a teenager; he had no qualms about teaching his daughters to do such manly-man's work.  I got my first job at 16 and have not been unemployed since; between school and work, I had a 7-day schedule with no full days off unless I got sick.  I worked on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and Easter in grades 11 and 12, and through four years of college.  I held two jobs during college, and continued to have two jobs on a 7-day schedule after college until age 37 when the part-time job closed at the owner's retirement.  I've helped babysit the children in my family; I've spent time looking after my grandparents and other infirm relatives; I am the primary caregiver for my cousin.   I've maintained my own home since age 22.  I've been an active gardener for 11 years.  so tell me, Steve; what manner of my life is so unproductive compared to your kids?   Assclown.

Edited by catlady
added something
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 14

24 minutes ago, AnnaSofia said:

DSC_1561-768x513.jpg.1ed01f00fdb19e8aeac9edc7f337ad0e.jpg

It looks like a Costco hamburger bun with a big glob of ketchup, a bottle of Worcestershire sauce right next to the plate, and not a whole vegetable in sight.

I should probably shut up about this, because I don't know exactly what he ate, or what his doctor recommended, but I'd bet $5 and the cheese paper sandwich that he's just eating a different variation on the highly processed, sodium laden food he always has, while making a show of being virtuous.

To me it looks like they're eating sloppy joes, maybe made with lentils or a meat substitute.  My brother and sister in law are vegetarian, and they bring all sorts of yummy food to our holiday dinners.  None of it has involved hamburger buns. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AnnaSofia said:

He's eating (apparently) a veggie burger on a white bread bun. With the Worcestershire and ketchup it's a veritable sodium extravaganza. A 3 ounce portion of turkey, white meat, no skin, would have been far healthier, especially if the cook was skilled enough to keep the breast meat from drying out. No green salad because they only know of romaine and that had been recalled again this year and their idea of a salad is pretty terrible anyway. God forbid they make a salad with kale and apples, or something else seasonal.

Speaking of salads, this Thanksgiving I made the sweet potato salad from the new African-American cookbook, Jubilees, and it was fabulous. Easy to prepare ahead of time, no worries about the dish getting cold because I ran out of stovetop space. And the leftovers were even tastier when I heated them in the microwave.

7 minutes ago, catlady said:

that sentence made me genuinely angry.  so Steve, and by extension Sarah, think that they are the only family so damn special that they're the only ones to expect able-bodied and -minded adults to be productive?  

You and me both. My unmarried adult offspring are very productive, working hard to make the world a better place. They are able to support themselves because they live simply. One day they may marry, or they may not. Either way they lead fulfilling productive lives, making a difference in the world that will outlive them. Unlike, say, spreading mulch for their grandparents, writing terrible children's books, or packing up plastic crap to send to children who are more in need of decent food and an education.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

The thing with the Maxwells is they don’t seem to be producing productive, contributing members of society. Living on planet Earth, and for eternity if that’s your belief system, means that you live among other people. When you are an active part of a community or village you do have to go outside your “own”. Life is about giving and receiving. Sometimes you’re the giver and other times you will be the recipient. Eventually everyone needs the help or expertise of a person beyond themselves or their “own” family member. I’d venture to say that SM learned this when he had his recent heart attack. Too bad he hasn’t changed his behaviors since that time. The Maxwells are doing nothing, beyond trying to religiously convert some nursing care residents, to be active, contributing, participatory members of society.

Steve’s a failure in this regard, big time.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 5

10 minutes ago, Fun-Dee said:

To me it looks like they're eating sloppy joes, maybe made with lentils or a meat substitute.  My brother and sister in law are vegetarian, and they bring all sorts of yummy food to our holiday dinners.  None of it has involved hamburger buns. 

I make some mean lentil sloppy joes since finances are tight here and I don't like to eat meat when I don't know the farmer behind it.  But there's no way I would make that for Thanksgiving dinner, even Stevehovah's nontraditional one.  There are plenty of more gourmet vegan dishes.  You don't have to settle for not-fun sloppy joes or veggie burgers. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

15 minutes ago, EmmaWoodhouse said:

You don't have to settle for not-fun sloppy joes or veggie burgers. 

True, *we* don’t, but this is Maxhell, where “fun” is the real F-bomb. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 12/9/2019 at 8:35 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don’t know. Little Debbie is quite the cutie. She reminds me of Tina and I’ve always thought Tina was just adorable. The Maxwell’s are just the worst. But they might have the cutest grandkids on FJ.

2AF655F5-5AFE-498E-9D6C-4D8CBB232E94.jpeg

Melanie and Nathan's kids are super cute and Ruthanne is truly gorgeous. Lydia is adorable but NR-Anna's military haircuts on those boys ruin it for me. Christopher Maxwell was a gorgeous child himself.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Does...Does Sarah think she's getting out of these productive single years someday?

Umm...this is awkward. Sarah, sweetheart...this is it. Your Dad and Mom need you at home for freezer clean out day and for driving around in the minivan looking at Christmas lights while listening to the voices of Christmas CD. 

• Upvote 14
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 4

18 hours ago, Giraffe said:

What’s strange to me is how do they justify keeping the “girls” at home? Why is it okay for women to marry into the family but not for SarahAnnaMary to marry? What about the third generation girls? Will they be allowed to marry?  Currently their system of “aunties playtimes” works, but eventually there will be an abundance of women for the menfolk to support. Stevie’s system is simply not sustainable for future generations. 

I think its because in many religious circles (not just fundies), its expected for the women to conform to their husbands' religious ideas and practices. Steve is so legalistic and stubborn about his exact interpretation of scripture that he could never allow his daughters to marry a man who deviates even a bit from his own ideology. I doubt there are many young men who measure up to Steve's standards. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

10 minutes ago, defraudingjezebel said:

I think its because in many religious circles (not just fundies), its expected for the women to conform to their husbands' religious ideas and practices. Steve is so legalistic and stubborn about his exact interpretation of scripture that he could never allow his daughters to marry a man who deviates even a bit from his own ideology. I doubt there are many young men who measure up to Steve's standards. 

I agree with you on this, because I’m sure that’s what it is. I find it ironic though that he has no problem bringing other women into “the crew,” while not allowing his daughters the same. 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Does...Does Sarah think she's getting out of these productive single years someday?

Umm...this is awkward. Sarah, sweetheart...this is it. Your Dad and Mom need you at home for freezer clean out day and for driving around in the minivan looking at Christmas lights while listening to the voices of Christmas CD. 

And don’t forget stopping for a DQ Blizzard on the way home. Well, if that’s still allowed post Steve’s heart attack.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

The thing with the Maxwells is they don’t seem to be producing productive, contributing members of society. Living on planet Earth, and for eternity if that’s your belief system, means that you live among other people. When you are an active part of a community or village you do have to go outside your “own”. Life is about giving and receiving. Sometimes you’re the giver and other times you will be the recipient. Eventually everyone needs the help or expertise of a person beyond themselves or their “own” family member. I’d venture to say that SM learned this when he had his recent heart attack. Too bad he hasn’t changed his behaviors since that time. The Maxwells are doing nothing, beyond trying to religiously convert some nursing care residents, to be active, contributing, participatory members of society.

Steve’s a failure in this regard, big time.

Completely agree.    I feel sorry for people who are so narrow-minded and afraid of what the world has to offer.

The Maxwells only see the scary side of the world, and that's depressing and makes them very boring people. 

Meaningful work and relationships with and for others make life worth living in my opinion.  Limiting the next generations is selfish for those children and grandchildren and for those out in the world  who might benefit from their untapped gifts. 

4 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

He's eating (apparently) a veggie burger on a white bread bun. With the Worcestershire and ketchup it's a veritable sodium extravaganza. A 3 ounce portion of turkey, white meat, no skin, would have been far healthier, especially if the cook was skilled enough to keep the breast meat from drying out. No green salad because they only know of romaine and that had been recalled again this year and their idea of a salad is pretty terrible anyway. God forbid they make a salad with kale and apples, or something else seasonal.

Speaking of salads, this Thanksgiving I made the sweet potato salad from the new African-American cookbook, Jubilees, and it was fabulous. Easy to prepare ahead of time, no worries about the dish getting cold because I ran out of stovetop space. And the leftovers were even tastier when I heated them in the microwave.

You and me both. My unmarried adult offspring are very productive, working hard to make the world a better place. They are able to support themselves because they live simply. One day they may marry, or they may not. Either way they lead fulfilling productive lives, making a difference in the world that will outlive them. Unlike, say, spreading mulch for their grandparents, writing terrible children's books, or packing up plastic crap to send to children who are more in need of decent food and an education.

The Maxwells think they have cornered the market on everything.  That's the result of never caring about what others are contributing to the world.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Well, they are finally letting her travel by herself. Also, when they were in Colorado they were fine leaving her alone. So, Sarah's productivity is based on her parents being okay with her being alone rather than doing it when she wants. I just hope that Nathan doesn't screw her even more when Steve and Teri pass on.

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic