IGNORED

Maxwell 34: Vest Management While Climbing a 14er

Coconut Flan

Many young Fundie men esp of the Maxwell variety are  not exactly looking for an intellectual equal or someone to have an argument or long compelling talks with. They want someone to look adoringly at them and let them make the rules and boundaries besides  Sarah Mary and Anna  are not ugly, can keep a House well and adore children.  I think if they really wanted to and put effort into it at least the latter 2 could be found adequate husbands. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

When Steve does the family  patriarch will be Nathan and I will be damned if Anna or Mary aren’t married off within two years simply because he does not want to Be saddled with Two spinster sisters  to support the rest of their lives. Sarah is a lost cause and will be used to be an assistant chief cook , bottle washer, housekeeper  and unpaid childcare.  I don’t think Nathan will let her go.  

Except that could be another 20+ years (right? Isn't Steve still in his sixties?). At which point Anna and Mary will both be older than Sarah is now.

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, meee said:

Except that could be another 20+ years (right? Isn't Steve still in his sixties?). At which point Anna and Mary will both be older than Sarah is now.

Steve is 68 (possibly 69) and has already had one heart attack.  His longevity may depend on how well they can control his heart risk factors.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

I didn't know he was so old. What a nerve to call others "the elderly" when he's 70.

I think there was a post on the blog about this one time? about what will happen when the parents pass away, it was defensive as fuck

ok so I typed death on the blog's search box and i got 10 pages of results, i don't think i'll find it anytime soon

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 11
  • Love 1

Steve is 68. My parents are very close in age to the Maxwell’s. My dad has heart issues too and I honestly don’t give him another decade. It’s hard to say how much longer Steve has. But my guess is that Teri will outlive him by quite a few years. I can see her living to be quite old like Gigi. Which will be interesting. Teri has always had Steve guilting her into their decisions. I wonder how she would handle life without Steve. Willshe rely on her grown children a lot? Will she enjoy the solitude? Will she chug Pepsi everyday?

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Sarah. You do NOT work at a real job!  You never have a day off work because you are always working for your parents. There is *nothing* to be ashamed of if you don’t work - I don’t, I’m on disability, my work is stuff like doing physical therapy - but please don’t act like you have a 9-5 gig with health insurance and a lunchroom and all that. The only real days off you get are when you travel without your parents and even then you’re on their leash, on call like someone carrying the special on call phone.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 7

Re the gals ever marrying. What family would ever want their son through all the hoops and humiliations Steve would undoubtably put him through? Maybe a few would but I sure as hell wouldnt want my son to be subjected to the quest for holiness, perfection, and a mortgage free house, preferably in Leavenworth.

The Maxwells daughters are "just folks". But just folks wouldnt do for Steve. Oh, no no no.

Gah, why do I even care? Except to say that even a GYM man needs an "adult" wife to talk to once in a while in addition to the wifely things. Or he could expect his mother to cook for him and get a blow-up doll for the other stuff ! Non kids, but there you go.

Ewwww, gross thought, I know.    sorry.......slinks away.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, freejugar said:

What a nerve to call others "the elderly" when he's 70

My dad (71) does the same thing. For him, elders are +80 or 85 years old. In his town, reaching 90 or even 100 years old is not that rare.

Meanwhile, my aunt, who is 79, considers herself young!

• Upvote 10

To be fair, I have some sympathy with that worldview. Anyone 10 years or more younger than me is an infant who knows nothing about the world. Anyone 10 years or more older than me is positively ancient. 

Me? I'm the perfect age obviously! Experienced but not old! Lol

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 1

My grandma was known to yell, “hurry up grandpa!” At any car in front of her that had the audacity to go under the speed limit. Once I said, “grandma that guy is younger than you.” “Well he drives like a grandpa!” Said the woman with 14 grandchildren.

• Haha 16
  • Love 2

I saw their Thanksgiving pictures posted. How cold is it at Chez Maxwell? The adults are all bundled up with turtle necks, scarves, wooly socks and puffy vests, while Ruthie and Lydia are in short sleeved sack dresses without socks or tights. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

I don't think Anna or Mary will every get married. Steve won't give up control, nor does he want any non-Maxwell grandchildren, and Teri can't cope on her own or even just Sarah. Plus, the "relatives" need their help with their ever expanding broods. 

Plus, Steve has said in the past that they way things are set up, the house goes to girls when he and Teri die, and the girls just love the idea of living together forever.

They only reason they haven't come out and said "the girls will never marry" is because it would look horrible. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7

What’s strange to me is how do they justify keeping the “girls” at home? Why is it okay for women to marry into the family but not for SarahAnnaMary to marry? What about the third generation girls? Will they be allowed to marry?  Currently their system of “aunties playtimes” works, but eventually there will be an abundance of women for the menfolk to support. Stevie’s system is simply not sustainable for future generations. 

• Upvote 8

33 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I don't think Anna or Mary will every get married. Steve won't give up control, nor does he want any non-Maxwell grandchildren, and Teri can't cope on her own or even just Sarah. Plus, the "relatives" need their help with their ever expanding broods. 

(Bolding mine)

I am believing, more and more, that this is one of the main reasons Steve and Teri will never let “the girls” get married.  Imagine; not only would the schedule at Headquarters be turned upside down; but also the schedules at all the outposts. Who will help the young mothers prepare for the next baby? There are now FOUR other houses to clean, FOUR other freezers to fill and FOUR other crews to babysit. Taking away all that free help will throw the whole Maxwell empire into a tizzy. 

Nope! Those girls can’t get married. The extended family depends on them. I wouldn’t be surprised if that is one of the lies they feed the daughters - that they are being selfless and godly in sacrificing marriage to help other households. 

I often wonder if the Maxwell daughters-in-law feel guilty or embarrassed for using the aunties like they do. Sometimes I read a post and think “Just WHAT DOES Melanie do all day.”  The aunties are sent over quite often to help with both large crews. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7

If the M girls were to marry, that would mean that they most likely would have the S-E-X! No way could Steve possibly entertain that notion.

I feel sorry for Anna. She seems particularly suited to having a family of her own. She is always pictured sitting on the ground or otherwise engaging with children. She also has the biggest smile on her face when in the presence of kids. 

I don’t see the same from Sarah or Mary.

• Upvote 8

12 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I am believing, more and more, that this is one of the main reasons Steve and Teri will never let “the girls” get married.  Imagine; not only would the schedule at Headquarters be turned upside down; but also the schedules at all the outposts. Who will help the young mothers prepare for the next baby? There are now FOUR other houses to clean, FOUR other freezers to fill and FOUR other crews to babysit. Taking away all that free help will throw the whole Maxwell empire into a tizzy. 

Nope! Those girls can’t get married. The extended family depends on them. I wouldn’t be surprised if that is one of the lies they feed the daughters - that they are being selfless and godly in sacrificing marriage to help other households. 

I often wonder if the Maxwell daughters-in-law feel guilty or embarrassed for using the aunties like they do. Sometimes I read a post and think “Just WHAT DOES Melanie do all day.”  The aunties are sent over quite often to help with both large crews. 

The lives of those three women make me think of nuns.  it's like they're living in the Maxwell Convent.  Oh, how they wouldn't like being compared to those horrible Catholics.

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Markie said:

I saw their Thanksgiving pictures posted. How cold is it at Chez Maxwell? The adults are all bundled up with turtle necks, scarves, wooly socks and puffy vests, while Ruthie and Lydia are in short sleeved sack dresses without socks or tights. 

I have always assumed Steve keeps the thermostat very low in the winter. Everyone is dressed warm and using blankets in the winter months inside Steve and Teri’s home. You never see them bundled up in anyone else’s home in the winter months. 

And I just want to say that I’m pleased to see a small turnout on thanksgiving for the Maxwell’s. It means that Elissa, Chelsy, and Melanie aren’t completely ignoring their families in favor of the Maxwell’s. We know Chelsy and John were actually less than a mile away and still didn’t attend the Max Borg on thanksgiving. Because Chelsy was hosting her family at her house. That kind of blows me away actually.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

Someone come clean my dirty mind because Steve and Teri’s thanksgiving pie looked like a bunch of tiny vaginas to me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Markie said:

I just signed into FJ to post the same thing.  Anna is cooking in a vest with a furry hood.  Do they not turn the heat on in that house?  I was hot as all heck when I cooked all the food for Thanksgiving dinner.  

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

The lives of those three women make me think of nuns.  it's like they're living in the Maxwell Convent.  Oh, how they wouldn't like being compared to those horrible Catholics.

Except that modern day women religious/sisters/nuns have way more freedom than is evident in the Maxwell unmarried women.  If they're in an active order, they may be teachers, doctors and nurses, psychologists and so on.  In contemplative orders,  the nuns do spend a lot of time praying, but they also may also paint, make ceramics,  bake bread, sew vestments, make stained glass,  write, tend livestock and otherwise farm and even make cheese.  One nun at a convent in Connecticut went to France to learn about cheesemaking. 

Most importantly, these women have much more agency over their lives than SarahAnnaMary will ever have.

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, grammyj said:

Re the gals ever marrying. What family would ever want their son through all the hoops and humiliations Steve would undoubtably put him through? Maybe a few would but I sure as hell wouldnt want my son to be subjected to the quest for holiness, perfection, and a mortgage free house, preferably in Leavenworth.

The Maxwells daughters are "just folks". But just folks wouldnt do for Steve. Oh, no no no.

Gah, why do I even care? Except to say that even a GYM man needs an "adult" wife to talk to once in a while in addition to the wifely things. Or he could expect his mother to cook for him and get a blow-up doll for the other stuff ! Non kids, but there you go.

Ewwww, gross thought, I know.    sorry.......slinks away.

If the man really and genuinely loves one of the daughters then he would go through it. That is if it is true love. Remember this is a religion where marriages are treated like transactions. The daughter follows dad's rules until dad approves of a man. Then the husband becomes the rule maker, not the father. If the right man were to come along for Sarah, Anna, and/or Mary, then he'd put up with Steve and Teri's antics until the marriage license is signed. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, freejugar said:

I'd love to know what Dad and Mom ate for thanksgiving. I spy a hamburger bun, maybe one of those veggie burguers?

Call me crazy, but I am actually impressed that Steve is taking his health seriously. The fact that Sarah acknowledged him and Teri didn't eat turkey makes it sound like he really is making the effort. After all, most of the Maxwell recipes consist of food covered in gravy and cream of chicken or mushroom soup. At least this allows the rest of the family to have "healthier" options rather than the crap Teri has depended on for many years.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic