IGNORED

Lori Alexander 72: Lori Quit Church?

On 10/31/2019 at 8:17 PM, PennySycamore said:

Is this Paulina the same person that was an evangelical fake Jew who married Taliban Tony and had a baby?  I remember that they split up.

Yes! One and the same. Taliban Tony's betrothed. Please Jesus, don't let there be more than one. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, fluffy said:

Yes! One and the same. Taliban Tony's betrothed. Please Jesus, don't let there be more than one. 

I should have linked to some of the old threads so that the newbies could see the crazy.  

Lina is mentioned in a ton of threads if any of you want to search.  Don't bother with the ones that mention Bontragers or Bowers, though.  That's a different Lina.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

36 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I should have linked to some of the old threads so that the newbies could see the crazy.  

Lina is mentioned in a ton of threads if any of you want to search.  Don't bother with the ones that mention Bontragers or Bowers, though.  That's a different Lina.

I did a quick search- I vaguely recall reference to her on one of the Lori threads. The thread I found mentioned the Bowers. I’ll have to save that for later. 

Today, Lori has recycled a post from her old blog that regurgitates tips from the tightwad gazette. I guess she’s feeling a little sensitive about remarks that she’s not actually teaching anything to young women. 

It’s so annoying to hear the constant assumptions about how women who work are wasteful, not managing resources well, doing so for luxury items, etc. The life described in her post sounds so isolating and stressful. 

Her fan girls are stumbling all over themselves about how they share bath water. My children bathed together when they were very young, but after they started separate baths, it was clean bath water for each. 

They've propped themselves up as righteous and holier than thou. I think they are the original mean girls. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

@Frog99, totally agree.  And I used to try and live all these "tightwad" tips. At the time, we rented so I couldn't do the homesteading type stuff.  But I bought cloth diapers and we had NO WASHING MACHINE. So I bought a tiny thing called a "Wonder Washer" portable electric washing machine. I WASHED THOSE POOP FILLED SUCKERS in that tiny little Washer for TWO YEARS until we moved and our apartment had a washer and dryer inside the unit!  (I washed my hubby's shirts in there, too.  Craziness.)

I bought cloth diaper wipes. I bought cloth menstrual pads and overnight menstrual pads. I soaked and washed. Blood everywhere; looked like an old testament sacrifice.  Which, it was, of sorts.

I cut my own hair. (That was horrid - I can't believe the pictures now). 

I quit wearing makeup. Dropped television. Used shared internet (which never worked, so I couldn't get my kids' homeschool videos for their curriculum to stream correctly on a consistent basis!

Ate beans and rice all the time.  Had only one car (never mind that The Headship had THREE cars...none of them able to hold all the kids at one time, so I couldn't use them).

FUCK A BUNCHA THAT LIFE.

You know, I've said this prior on this thread, but this life is NOT self-less. On the contrary, this life is actually VERY, VERY SELFISH. You can barely help yourself (if there were any kind of unexpected financial catastrophe - job loss or disability - this is sunk).  You ABSOLUTELY CANNOT help anyone else. And that's what makes it the ultimate in self-righteousness and selfishness:

"We're doing GREAT over here! But sucks to be you. We can't help you at all. Do what we're doing and then you'll be doing GREAT like us!"

Who needs Jesus?

You've created your own religion.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 12

Let's bestow a title upon the leghumpers.  They can be the Order of the Dirty Bathwater.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 12
  • Love 1

I was sort of annoyed with these comments. I do believe in being kind and helping people in need.  Yes, some families can live comfortably on one income without outside help. But, if I was married and had kids and was living on one income and hit financial problems, I would feel guilty about others doing things like this especially if I'm capable of working. 

heather bs.JPG

Edited by lilwriter85
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

47 minutes ago, lilwriter85 said:

I was sort of annoyed with these comments. I do believe in being kind and helping people in need.  Yes, some families can live comfortably on one income without outside help. But, if I was married and had kids and was living on one income and hit financial problems, I would feel guilty about others doing things like this especially if I'm capable of working. 

heather bs.JPG

It would be nice if Lori actually helped others like that.  Of course she can't be bothered to do anything real.  She just issues commands, and expects all women everywhere to live like handmaids.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

According to her IG stories, Lori is watching Ryan’s kids again this weekend so Ryan and Erin can go to a wedding. 

You know, because common people should never leave their kids for date night or weekends away; but the precious Alexander children can do these things whenever they want. 

Ryan and Erin must not see their children as gifts from God. They hate God and his ways. Heh. 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, lilwriter85 said:

I hear you, but if these people believe that mothers should stay home and raise their children, then it makes sense that they would help each other out.  It's a case of putting their money where their mouth is.

In any case, it doesn't annoy me or bother me in the least, so long as the help is not expected and it's completely voluntary. Nobody should be bullied into helping and nobody should expect to receive handouts. 

Edited by onemama
  • Upvote 8

1 minute ago, onemama said:

I hear you, but if these people believe that mothers should stay home and raise their children, then it makes sense that they would help each other out.  It's a case of putting their money where their mouth is.

In any case, it doesn't annoy me or bother me in the least, so long as the help is not expected and it's completely voluntary. Nobody should be bullied into helping and nobody should expect to receive handouts. 

I do give Heather credit for doing those things. 

It was good to see this woman stand up for her own mother.  Sometimes being frugal doesn't help in a huge way. 

lizesc.JPG

• Upvote 14

@lilwriter85, yes, she helped them and I hope that the children benefitted from the help.  All too often, parents who hold strong to ideals like the ones Lori preaches (but didn't practice) don't pay much attention to how their children are faring.  It may be that they wish they had more money to buy nice clothes, or they wish there more variety in their diet. They have no influence over their parents' decisions.

I grew up in an ever-growing family. As the second eldest, I often was expected to do quite a lot around the house and I often wished I could just have the things that all the other girls in my class had.  New clothes instead of hand-me-downs, the shoes of my choice and the schoolbag of my choice, etc... We were comparatively poor and we knew it.  There were people in our church who did little things for us, like buy us birthday presents or even invite us to spend a couple of days with them.  One woman invited me to stay at her place a few times and taught me how to sew on her sewing machine. I loved that! A night away from home, one-on-one attention, tasting different foods.. it was a treat! 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, delphinium65 said:

It would be nice if Lori actually helped others like that.  Of course she can't be bothered to do anything real.  She just issues commands, and expects all women everywhere to live like handmaids.  

Even Lori’s money saving tips are not her own. She has to refer people to others for actual budgeting and housekeeping advice.  I can’t understand how her followers don’t realize that Lori has never lived like she is expecting them to live. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 7

21 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Even Lori’s money saving tips are not her own. She has to refer people to others for actual budgeting and housekeeping advice.  I can’t understand how her followers don’t realize that Lori has never lived like she is expecting them to live. 

Lori has probably never had to use any money saving tips. She doesn’t understand how to budget or do any of the things she claims she is supposed to teach. 

• Upvote 8

48 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I don't understand her followers.  Today, somewhere in the wall of Facebook comments, Lori mentioned her kids taking baths together because water is expensive in California. In the past, I do recall Lori saying she used homemade cleaning products like vinegar with essential oils or peroxide in a spray bottle.  Overall, I don't think Lori does many of the money saving tips that she refers people to. 

The link she posted to was an entry from almost five years ago, the tips listed mention kids not doing organized sports, no expensive hobbies, limiting driving places, limiting eating out, the woman mentions her husband driving a a motorcycle for fuel efficiency, and backyard chickens. As far as we know Lori and Ken have never had backyard chickens for eggs.  Lori's sons were in sports and the daughter was in ballet.  I doubt Lori's family has ever really lived on a very tight budget. 

Edited by lilwriter85
  • Upvote 15

I just love how this woman mentions Disneyland. Plenty of families with two incomes still can't afford to vacation at Disneyland.  Depending on the sport, sometimes organized sports isn't extremely expensive.  

Sarah-Cutting out organized sports and expensive entertainment like going to the movies, Disneyland, eating out regularly, etc saves a ton right there.

• Upvote 9

I once asked Lori if she’d share her budget plan (before she blocked me from Facebook*) and she replied that she did not have a budget because her husband has always made enough for them to live on.  That response alone should have cost her several followers but I don’t think it did. 

*I was blocked when I suggested that she, having the large following that she does, would set a great example by showing kindness to Lysa Terkeurst during her divorce. Clearly, those words we’re inappropriate because she immediately deleted and blocked. 

• Upvote 14

32 minutes ago, Frog99 said:

Well isn’t Ben Holt quite the gem. By the way- you can buy one cup of his acorn flour for a mere $40... 

I thought you were exaggerating for snark effect. You weren't. One cup...$40. Hahahahahahahaha. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I once asked Lori if she’d share her budget plan (before she blocked me from Facebook*) and she replied that she did not have a budget because her husband has always made enough for them to live on.  That response alone should have cost her several followers but I don’t think it did. 

*I was blocked when I suggested that she, having the large following that she does, would set a great example by showing kindness to Lysa Terkeurst during her divorce. Clearly, those words we’re inappropriate because she immediately deleted and blocked. 

I think I recall seeing that. I also recall another incident where someone asked her about budgeting and their comment got deleted. 

• Upvote 7

My husband said I could squeeze a dollar bill so hard that 5 quarters would come out. He was/is right. I do have a few splurges, mostly related to self-care. 

I've always been cheap, yes cheap. Not frugal, cheap. Even in the days when we were making big bucks, I still was cheap af. Lori wouldn't know jack shit about living frugally or even cheaply. 

Now, I've descended into "I ain't paying for shit unless I ABSOLUTELY need it". 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, lilwriter85 said:

I just love how this woman mentions Disneyland. Plenty of families with two incomes still can't afford to vacation at Disneyland.  Depending on the sport, sometimes organized sports isn't extremely expensive.  

Our children have only been to Disney once, and we waited until they were old enough to really enjoy it and remember it. 

I think some of these kids will become resentful if they never get to pursue their interests and have fun.

Another thing is schools have plenty of extracurricular activities that are either free or way cheaper. Where I live, homeschool kids are allowed to participate in sports and clubs at their assigned public school even if they are not enrolled in the school.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Frog99 said:

Well isn’t Ben Holt quite the gem. By the way- you can buy one cup of his acorn flour for a mere $40... 

Hide contents

B6AED636-6E24-4D9B-975D-DA07F46742F5.thumb.png.ce167143634c6dfa9b81dfb782939668.png

He doesn't like her "bugging" him for money, but then he makes fun of her for making soup out of stuff in the cabinet.  Glad I'm not married to that jerk.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

I thought you were exaggerating for snark effect. You weren't. One cup...$40. Hahahahahahahaha. 

Haha! Nope. But I had to look three times to make sure I was reading correctly!

27 minutes ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

Our children have only been to Disney once, and we waited until they were old enough to really enjoy it and remember it. 

I think some of these kids will become resentful if they never get to pursue their interests and have fun.

Another thing is schools have plenty of extracurricular activities that are either free or way cheaper. Where I live, homeschool kids are allowed to participate in sports and clubs at their assigned public school even if they are not enrolled in the school.

I have been to Disney twice- once over Easter break in elementary school and once as a high school graduation present Both were our family vacations, but they were special vacations. Other times we did long weekend road trips. We didn’t stay in Disney either time- we had a condo the second time and ate breakfast before leaving. Lunch was a light snack, and we normally left the park around 2 to go back to the hotel to swim (my mother is not a fan of amusement parks and also doesn’t do well in the heat). We would go to a place with early bird specials for dinner and then go back to the parks. DH has never been, and neither have the kiddos. 

That article makes life sound full of drudgery and I think probably causes some level of stress. 

That’s Nice that where you are homeschool kids can participate in school activities. Here they can’t. The homeschoolers i know are part of a co-op and they pay dues to bring in teachers or extracurricular opportunities. It’s not cheap. 

• Upvote 7

Even proper homeschooling takes money. 

My kids are doing an online program through Liberty University Online Academy. They have video lessons with a certified teacher. Then they do their assignment. As parents, we can log in and make sure they have completed their work and check grades.

It runs about $3500.00 per kid per year

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Frog99 said:

Haha! Nope. But I had to look three times to make sure I was reading correctly!

I have been to Disney twice- once over Easter break in elementary school and once as a high school graduation present Both were our family vacations, but they were special vacations. Other times we did long weekend road trips. We didn’t stay in Disney either time- we had a condo the second time and ate breakfast before leaving. Lunch was a light snack, and we normally left the park around 2 to go back to the hotel to swim (my mother is not a fan of amusement parks and also doesn’t do well in the heat). We would go to a place with early bird specials for dinner and then go back to the parks. DH has never been, and neither have the kiddos. 

That article makes life sound full of drudgery and I think probably causes some level of stress. 

That’s Nice that where you are homeschool kids can participate in school activities. Here they can’t. The homeschoolers i know are part of a co-op and they pay dues to bring in teachers or extracurricular opportunities. It’s not cheap. 

I had fundie lite neighbors who homeschooled. Their kids were involved in community theater, youth soccer leagues, homeschooling co-ops, and other activities. My neighbors had two incomes as the wife had an accounting business that she split between working out of the house or working at clients' businesses. I do recall them saying the curriculum, text books, and other materials weren't cheap. Another homeschooling family  made similar comments about homeschooling expenses and they used to send their kids to private French,Spanish, and art classes. 

I have a friend whose fundie stepdaughter is involved with ATI. They have constant money struggles because the step son-in-law is constantly bouncing around from jobs and businesses. He has said that his step-grand kids are only involved in their church's youth group. But, when it comes to activities or clubs that cost money the answer is almost always no. The step grand daughter wanted to join the local figure skating club and it wasn't cheap. My friend and his wife offered to pay, but the step daughter and her hubby were against it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic