IGNORED

Gun Violence 3: Thoughts and Prayers Continue to be Insufficient

GreyhoundFan

11 minutes ago, Emma said:

According to cnn, governor Youngkin called this “a stark reality”

SERIOUSLY?

He called a mass shooting “STARK REALITY”

as if it’s something we have to live with?

When the hell are they going to DO something about too many guns?

Never. That was clear after we did nothing after Sandy Hook, and nothing after Parkland, and nothing after Orlando. I could go on, but it's too depressing.

• Sad 1
  • I Agree 6

3 hours ago, Xan said:

As awful as this is (and it is really awful), incidents like this might help us get some better gun laws.  The extreme right wing doesn't care if you shoot up an LGBTQ bar or a Jewish temple.  They don't even seem to care if it's a school.  They do start to care more when it's a place like Walmart.

Sadly I don't think it will bother the right wing that it was a Walmart. It didn't bother them last time, at the Walmart in El Paso, Texas. At this point I don't think they would care if it were a Cabela's or a Bass Pro Shop either. Because, you know, second amendment.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

So this  later shooter was yet another mentally ill person with a gun. From what coworkers said he was "off". He also threated to shoot and kill people if he was ever fired. That should have been reported asap! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Emma said:

When the hell are they going to DO something about too many guns?

My guess? Never or when hell freezes over. Whichever comes first.

• Upvote 5

24 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

My guess? Never or when hell freezes over. Whichever comes first.

Mine is - when it becomes politically expedient for them to do so.  

• Upvote 9

Four teenagers were shot as they left school today in Philadelphia.  This is starting to feel like a daily thing.  

If this is a bad dream, I'm ready to wake up now...

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 6
  • WTF 1

Because being gay would be so much more upsetting than being a mass murderer:

image.thumb.png.1ca1a450569502b2c95fae6dc0f741c1.png

• Disgust 5
  • WTF 4

36 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

And therein is why this guy did what he did, because it is so, so bad to be gay. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Xan said:

Four teenagers were shot as they left school today in Philadelphia.  This is starting to feel like a daily thing.  

If this is a bad dream, I'm ready to wake up now...

It's more than a daily thing.  There have been more than 600 mass  shootings in the US this year.

Edited by zeebaneighba
  • Upvote 3
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I sincerely hope there is context for that statement but I cannot fathom how it could possibly have any context in which it is acceptable. Fuck that guy. “Hey, son, I know we should be talking about how you killed people, injured others, and would have shot more if those absolutely heroic people in the club hadn’t stopped you, but I need you to answer a question for me. Son, are ya gay? No? Well that’s a big load off your ol’ Pop’s shoulders!” We all know many wonderful humans who are gay and who give so much to the world. Would this guy consider them “less than” his not-gay murderer son? I really don’t think I want the answer. Really, fuck that guy. 

• I Agree 6

Well I just saw the interview and wow. The murderer’s dad has his own set of problems. The quote was not taken out of context. From my very small internet research (very very small) the dad may have drug problems and/or CTE/head trauma but I give him and the murderer no passes. I don’t want to hear about “mental illness” if he’s a white guy. He killed innocent people and injured others because of who they are or who they support. No sympathy. 

• Upvote 5

10 years

Screenshot_20221214_062645_Facebook.jpg

Spoiler

Screenshot_20221214_062711_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20221214_062608_Facebook.jpg

Edited by WiseGirl
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 6

10 years and I can tell you where I was and what I was doing when I heard. 10 years and I still tear up when I see the pictures of the first graders. I had a first grade class all last week and it was definitely in the back of my mind as I worked with my kiddos. I don't want to imagine any sick and demented person hurting those first graders or any other ones.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

Twin Cities law enforcement stopped a racist, homophobic douche cannon who was building an arsenal and probably on his way to doing a mass shooting.

A 20-year-old Savage man is accused of illegally possessing a machine gun and attempting to buy hand grenades, according to U.S. Attorney Andrew M. Luger.

River William Smith was arrested Wednesday after officials say he bought three grenades and four auto sears — a device that turns firearms into an automatic weapon — during a meeting with an FBI informant. He was later charged with one count of possession of a machine gun and one count of attempt to receive and possess destructive devices. 

According to the charges filed this week, he idolized the shooter who killed five people at a gay nightclub in Colorado Springs and was building an arsenal of automatic weapons to use against police. Smith also expressed interest in joining neo-Nazi paramilitary groups and fired an assault-style rifle in 2019, leaving his grandmother with a hand injury. 

Court documents say Smith stated he is "pro-mass shooting," and sympathized with the Parkland school shooter. He also told the informant that the shooter who killed five people at an LGBTQ nightclub last month was a “hero,” called Black people “agents of satan,” and said he was ready to engage the police “with armor and full autos," an FBI agent said in an affidavit.

• Thank You 9

On 12/17/2022 at 10:19 AM, 47of74 said:

Court documents say Smith stated he is "pro-mass shooting," and sympathized with the Parkland school shooter. He also told the informant that the shooter who killed five people at an LGBTQ nightclub last month was a “hero,” called Black people “agents of satan,” and said he was ready to engage the police “with armor and full autos," an FBI agent said in an affidavit.

Right there. There it is. There is the proof that mass shootings beget more mass shootings and that masa shootings are far more likely to be successful with certain guns and more guns at the shooter’s disposal. This information should be used in every gun control argument and should be used in testimony in Congress and state legislatures and ESPECIALLY used to confront legislators who are against reasonable gun control. 

• I Agree 2
  • Thank You 4

• 3 weeks later...

Your car is not a firearms safe

The Cedar Rapids Police Department says the number of guns stolen from vehicles has gone up over the last five years.

Newly released data shows police were called 58 times for weapons being stolen from vehicles.

“I think you’re an idiot for storing it in your car in the first place,” said Trent McAtee, a manager at Tactical Creations in Vinton.

McAtee said people need to do a better job of securing weapons if they leave them in their vehicles.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, 47of74 said:

“I think you’re an idiot for storing it in your car in the first place,” said Trent McAtee, a manager at Tactical Creations in Vinton.

Well yeah. Especially if you advertise that with bumper stickers.

Good to see that Illinois has joined other states in banning certain types of gun though. 

"Under the new Illinois law, the sale of several kinds of weapons that automatically load the next bullet after a shot, including semiautomatic rifles and pistols with detachable magazines, are banned. The law lists dozens of popular gun brands made by US gunmakers.

Also banned are rifles that hold more than 10 bullets and pistols that hold more than 15. Selling rapid-fire attachments and .50-calibre guns is forbidden under the law, too. Residents who already own such weapons will be able to keep them but must register them with state police."

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

Well yeah. Especially if you advertise that with bumper stickers.

Good to see that Illinois has joined other states in banning certain types of gun though. 

"Under the new Illinois law, the sale of several kinds of weapons that automatically load the next bullet after a shot, including semiautomatic rifles and pistols with detachable magazines, are banned. The law lists dozens of popular gun brands made by US gunmakers.

Also banned are rifles that hold more than 10 bullets and pistols that hold more than 15. Selling rapid-fire attachments and .50-calibre guns is forbidden under the law, too. Residents who already own such weapons will be able to keep them but must register them with state police."

Thing is some Branch Trumpvidian sticks of fuck decided not to enforce the new law in Illinois.  Over in Jo Daviess County the fuck stick sheriff and prosecutor already publicly declared they won’t enforce the law. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 3

41 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Thing is some Branch Trumpvidian sticks of fuck decided not to enforce the new law in Illinois.  Over in Jo Daviess County the fuck stick sheriff and prosecutor already publicly declared they won’t enforce the law. 

Honestly this is one time when organising police on a state rather than local level might help. (Yes I'm biased - Australian states organise police, the judicial system, health, education and a few other things at state rather than local level so it's what I'm familiar with.) Honestly to me it's not a particularly grey area - if you already own the guns you need to register them, if you don't they're illegal and you are in breach of the law.  if the sheriff and prosecutor aren't interested in doing that then they should step aside.

• Upvote 7

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic