IGNORED

2020 Presidential Election 2: The Primaries are upon us

GreyhoundFan

3 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Yeah, that was great!

It's frustrating that in response to Warren accurately pointing out that Bernie has completely changed his position since 2016, a bunch of Bernie supporters got #primaryWarren trending on Twitter. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I don’t really understand why a Bernie supporter would be so vehemently anti Warren or a Pete supporter would be so anti Klobuchar and vice verse. On any given day I could support a any of them with the exception of Bloomberg. 

The party infighting is exactly what the Republicans want. Hey, it’s just like we thought with the Republican field in 2016, and they coalesced and pulled out the W. Maybe this time it will work in the Dem’s favor.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 9

40 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I don’t really understand why a Bernie supporter would be so vehemently anti Warren or a Pete supporter would be so anti Klobuchar and vice verse. 

I've never understood this either. I understand having a preference, but not despising one with such a similar platform to a favorite. 

42 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

The party infighting is exactly what the Republicans want. Hey, it’s just like we thought with the Republican field in 2016, and they coalesced and pulled out the W. Maybe this time it will work in the Dem’s favor.

Except Dems kinda suck at coalescing. 

And I don't want Democrats to have to sacrifice to the extent the Republicans did to get that win: undermining the tenets of their party's platform, losing all integrity, and basically being held hostage by a personality cult with members dividing into quislings and disaffected former members. 

And I do not mean this as a pointed dig at Bernie. I worry that even if Warren or Pete won the nomination (and especially Bloomberg) and Sanders encouraged unity, there could still be a disastrous schism in the Democratic party.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

The root of the problem is not the Democratic Party. It's the fact that it's only one party. The infighting would be solved (and maybe even more deep-seated problems with the American political system as a whole) if you would get rid of the two party system. America has always prided itself in its diversity. Why isn't that reflected in its political system? Why are there only two viable political parties?

To me it's pretty clear that actually the Democratic Party, and the Republican Party too for that matter, aren't  unified parties. A single party cannot represent all the 'left-leaning' or 'right-leaning' voters. It's simply impossible to adequately represent everyone under a broad political spectrum. It foments feelings of not being taken seriously by voters and therefore disinterest in politics. Why vote, when your views aren't being represented anyway?

The parties should break up into smaller parties, that better reflect the diversity of the American public. None of those parties would have a sole majority, and they would out of necessity need to form coalitions, that actually work together. 

Plus, Mitch McConnell's shenanigans wouldn't stand a chance under a multi-party system. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

22 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

The parties should break up into smaller parties, that better reflect the diversity of the American public. None of those parties would have a sole majority, and they would out of necessity need to form coalitions, that actually work together.

Unfortunately, this isn't about to happen anytime soon...if ever.  Our systems are pretty entrenched.  And here we are, shortly before Super Tuesday, with Bernie and Bloomberg on what I consider to be the "edges" (doubt either can win) and a muddle of candidates sort of in the middle, but unable to distinguish themselves through the noise.  I think there are plenty of ambivalent voters and former non-voters who would be willing to vote for a viable Democrat but the system - IMO - isn't enabling one to surface.  Can't blame the Republicans at this point, either.

Edited by Dandruff
  • Upvote 5

On 2/26/2020 at 8:08 PM, SassyPants said:

It seems in this country the smartest person, with the best and most solid plans , is rarely the person chosen to be the leader. It’s as if people are intimidated by or afraid of those kind of people. I think that counts even more if the candidate is a woman.

Reminds me of this quote attributed to Adlai Stevenson .  

https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/every_thinking_person_will_vote_for_you_but_i_need_a_majority 

• Upvote 1

This is nice, especially compared to stories of other candidates treating their staff poorly.

Joe wasn't my first choice, but I would be happy with him as the nominee and I'm glad to see him doing well in the SC polls.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 7

I haven't been getting plastered with political junk mail but received three different pieces today - all from Amy Klobuchar.  Am wondering what the criteria is for sending this stuff out to people.  I'm not a member of either party and have voted in primaries for both parties.  The Republicans seem to know to leave me alone, though.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Yesterday, I received a political card from Bloomberg. Mikey met my trash. 

The same thing happened to me , a few days ago .  Unlike @Dandruff though , I haven't , as of yet anyway , gotten any campaign literature for Amy Klobuchar , or any other Democratic candidate .  The funny thing is that I am still technically a registered Green , as I last voted in a Green midterm primary . And this has been the only material I have received from any Democrat , since I had changed my party affiliation .  If I can make it to the polling place , and she's still in the running , which I hope will be the case on both counts , I fully plan on voting for Warren .  Then henceforth I intend to remain a Democrat . See , in Ohio we don't affiliate with a particular political party when we register to vote .  Instead we choose which party we wish to take part in , at each primary election . { https://www.ohiosos.gov/elections/voters/register/#declare , 

https://boe.cuyahogacounty.us/en-US/declareorchangeparty.aspx } 

• Upvote 5

I got a text from the Orange Menace asking me to support him. Friend clearly doesn’t know his audience. Also, I have NO idea how they got my number. I have been a registered Democrat for YEARS now, and have never given a political party my phone number.

• Upvote 6

34 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I got a text from the Orange Menace asking me to support him. Friend clearly doesn’t know his audience. Also, I have NO idea how they got my number. I have been a registered Democrat for YEARS now, and have never given a political party my phone number.

I got something in the mail. Why I have no idea.

I got something in the mail. Why I have no idea.

I am so tired of getting stuff in the mail. I voted 3 weeks ago dammit. Stop spamming me!
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

11 hours ago, Destiny said:

I got a message inviting me to a local Trump support party. I responded asking how the hell they got my number and they didn't reply. I have no idea how they got my number or why the hell they thought I would want to show up for a Trump party. They do not fucking want me there because I would be a major party pooper and rain on their Trump parade. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

They called SC for Biden right at 7. That was fast! A week ago Bernie was predicted to win, but Biden ended up winning handily. It shows how fast things can change.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

It'll be interesting to see, as various candidates drop out, who will be promoting their (individual) ideologies and who will be more focused on the (group) goal of getting a Democratic president.  Actually, I think it'll also be worth noticing in candidates who don't drop out.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Well, Steyer has dropped out, and Biden is now ahead of Bernie in the national popular vote so far.

Steyer dropping out has got Trump pretty scared that he’s going to financially support the Dems.

• Upvote 6

Tom Steyer, for his part, is enjoying stoking that fear. 

• Upvote 12

On 2/28/2020 at 1:07 AM, Dandruff said:

I haven't been getting plastered with political junk mail but received three different pieces today - all from Amy Klobuchar.  Am wondering what the criteria is for sending this stuff out to people.  I'm not a member of either party and have voted in primaries for both parties.  The Republicans seem to know to leave me alone, though.

Unfortunately, the junk mail we receive is mostly from Trump. (We live in a reddest of red corner of our state).

My primary is part of Super Tuesday, but we now have early voting, which is something I did on Friday after work. I did get political junk mail from Bloomberg, which went straight to the trash can. I'll just be glad when after Tuesday, I don't have to hear any more Bloomberg ads on the radio or see any more of them on TV.

• Upvote 2

• GreyhoundFan locked and unpinned this topic