IGNORED

Bates 27: I Want My Bates TV

Georgiana

7 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

I'd also say it's common, but commonly used as sexual innuendo.

Eh, it is more common about just looking lousy. I am not even sure I ever have heard it as innuendo. I guess I have not been having enough fun.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 12:40 AM, Melissa1977 said:

My wedding was very similar than yours. I wore a cocktail dress in a champagne colour. I bought it in a store that sells dresses for parties, but wasn't a bridal store. As I didn't want to wear the typical white gown, I thought about wearing a bridesmaid dress, but finally I chase a cocktail one, because I prefer shorter dresses.

I am SO not a clothes/fashion/dress person and was dreading the wedding dress thing. Little kid me used to tell my mom (when she was forcing me to wear froofy 80s hand-me-down dresses from the neighbor girl to church, appropriately enough) that I was going to to get married in jeans and a t-shirt and I was very tempted to make good on that, hah. Chose to get something custom-made instead and basically just said please make me something not white, not wedding-dress-y, that I can wear again. Designer absolutely KILLED it and I felt so comfy and happy. Paid less for it than most mid-range off-the-rack dresses, it fits me perfectly, and I'll be proud to wear it again if I have a fancy occasion.

tl;dr definitely consider custom design, it's not as out of reach as it seems and it is totally worth it!

Spoiler

1575949342_Jessi_Kevin_Wedding_DoreyKronick2019-199.thumb.jpg.e70d5abc577b390cda5300cad27fe7c2.jpg

Spoiler

2097461978_Jessi_Kevin_Wedding_DoreyKronick2019-285.thumb.jpg.1a3e4e072ee6c212c38652e53e825805.jpg

• Love 16

16 minutes ago, AdamsBellybutton said:

I am SO not a clothes/fashion/dress person and was dreading the wedding dress thing. Little kid me used to tell my mom (when she was forcing me to wear froofy 80s hand-me-down dresses from the neighbor girl to church, appropriately enough) that I was going to to get married in jeans and a t-shirt and I was very tempted to make good on that, hah. Chose to get something custom-made instead and basically just said please make me something not white, not wedding-dress-y, that I can wear again. Designer absolutely KILLED it and I felt so comfy and happy. Paid less for it than most mid-range off-the-rack dresses, it fits me perfectly, and I'll be proud to wear it again if I have a fancy occasion.

tl;dr definitely consider custom design, it's not as out of reach as it seems and it is totally worth it!

Hide contents

1575949342_Jessi_Kevin_Wedding_DoreyKronick2019-199.thumb.jpg.e70d5abc577b390cda5300cad27fe7c2.jpg

Hide contents

2097461978_Jessi_Kevin_Wedding_DoreyKronick2019-285.thumb.jpg.1a3e4e072ee6c212c38652e53e825805.jpg

love the dress love the hair love the shoes. HOT!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

Callie looks ridiculous wearing a skirt over a snow suit. To me it draws more attention to her than if she just wore the snow suit. 2086C2EF-247B-4AFF-B8C6-925E322CB120.thumb.jpeg.6e26b94db32a21d3adb9d53e6e951cf9.jpeg

Spoiler

73D90038-2EC9-4534-916C-E44A68C199F1.thumb.jpeg.ab03b407ca6d138123780f65c796dabc.jpeg0E4F1CFC-7D34-4D77-9B57-E7B56FEFAA8C.thumb.jpeg.e63b538ff78f5e3fc257aee925c25415.jpeg

Above are some of the replies to comments made about the girls wearing skirts over pants. 

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 5
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

Oh come on Kelly! Europe??? Snow skirts in Europe are seen nowhere since when, 1940? And in case someone wears it (I have never seen it BTW) it would be an extremely short skirt for fashion purposes, not a knee-length skirt that makes skiing more difficult and even more dangerous.

• Upvote 20
  • Love 4

14 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Oh come on Kelly! Europe??? Snow skirts in Europe are seen nowhere since when, 1940? 

Friends are going skiing in the Swiss Alps next month I'm going to tell them to keep their eyes open for people wearing skirts while skiing, and report back!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 11

Skirts while skiing is such a ridiculous thing to insist on.

And the fake reasons: style! (If it was stylish, which, looking at the photo: no! Isn’t that vanity?), warmth! ? (also: do girls get colder than boys or are the boys supposed to tough it out?), safety! ? (what?!?).

What they don’t say is their actual reason: external modesty principles and a rigid insistence on differentiating gender. Which is ridiculous in itself, but even if you held to it, why are these important things to hold to while skiing??? When pretty much everyone is anonymous and androgynous in winter gear? 

I wonder if they ever second guess themselves, or do they look at this child who is dressed in such a way to draw extra attention and think: we’ve done our job well! 

PS Don’t throw Europe under the modesty bus! 

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 15

I have never ever seen a skiing skirt her in Europe.

Not on the slopes, not in the store and not in pictures.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

Never seen such a thing in Europe, in Italy it would be considered really bizarre.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
Removed signature
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

In what universe is ski clothes immodest? I have never seen anything more stupid. Free Callie! 

Boy, all those layers of fleece and down really do show off the womanly curves, don't they?  Males just can't restrain themselves when they see a female dressed as the Michelin Man!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 16
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Boy, all those layers of fleece and down really do show off the womanly curves, don't they?  Males just can't restrain themselves when they see a female dressed as the Michelin Man!

Good thing that is all solved with a skirt on top of the ski suit. Now men can control their urges again! Phew! 

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1

Did anyone see Addee's picture in the story? It kind of looked like she had a apron instead of this hot mess express skirt?

• Upvote 2

Where do you even buy something like this????? Did they just safety pin a jacket around her waist??? This enrages me. More than most of the inane offensive oppressive things these people do. 

I have an almost 5 year old daughter I’m taking skiing for the first time next month and seeing this picture of Callie just hits too close to home and makes me so so sad for her. 

There’s something about creating and mandating a non-existent piece of “clothing” that is worse and more offensive than just wearing skirts instead of pants in everyday clothing.

This is a gender neutral one-piece snowsuit. To suit up all the kids and then say, now girl children, you need to attach this heavy, awkward, cumbersome, and DANGEROUS extra piece of insulated fabric around your waist bc you are offensive, tempting to men (?!?!?) and unacceptable as you are, but boys, you’re good to go. Good luck trying to ski as well as the boys and not seriously injure yourselves with this shit dragging you down.  

It is a literal disadvantage you are forcing upon your child bc of her biological sex. And a visible, physical mark you are putting on her. There’s something very scarlet letter/headscarf about this to me. 

Also, didn’t the girls and kelly all wear pants when they went on that ziplining outing?

• Upvote 16

29 minutes ago, Johannah said:

Where do you even buy something like this????? Did they just safety pin a jacket around her waist??? This enrages me. More than most of the inane offensive oppressive things these people do.

https://www.skhoop.us/ is where most people in my area get them from.

They are ridiculously popular in my area. Some other brands jumped on board.

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/womens-corbet-120-skirt-sw0sp246

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/womens-smartloft-60-skirt-sw019266?variationId=B48

Canada Goose had one for a bit but I can't find it on their website.

Costco has a shitty one that sheds feathers and is super thin, too long, and useless.

• Upvote 1

20 years ago I had a mini-skirt like that. I bought it at REI and wore it to school. I think the actual purpose of it was to go over tight pants for cross country skiing, but I just bought it because I thought it looked cute with tights and boots.

Wearing a knee length thick skirt over already thick ski pants seems like it would be incredibly cumbersome for a young girl to ski in. I don't know about you, but I would be more concerned that impaired mobility from all of that extra fabric around her legs would cause her to fall and hurt herself than I would be about making sure she was dressed in a God-honoring way.

• Upvote 8

41 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

https://www.skhoop.us/ is where most people in my area get them from.

They are ridiculously popular in my area. Some other brands jumped on board.

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/womens-corbet-120-skirt-sw0sp246

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/womens-smartloft-60-skirt-sw019266?variationId=B48

Canada Goose had one for a bit but I can't find it on their website.

Costco has a shitty one that sheds feathers and is super thin, too long, and useless.

Yeah but these are actually cute. And short enough to not cause mobility issues. And honestly have the miniskirt-over-leggings  vibe that I highly doubt the Bates are going for. It’s irritating that they toss “style” out there deceptively as a cover for their horrible modesty teaching. 

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, neuroticcat said:

Yeah but these are actually cute. And short enough to not cause mobility issues. And honestly have the miniskirt-over-leggings  vibe that I highly doubt the Bates are going for. It’s irritating that they toss “style” out there deceptively as a cover for their horrible modesty teaching. 

The poster was asking where someone gets something like that, so I responded. I made no comment on the morality or practicality of wearing one. Which, I do. I wear the longer ones (knee length) cross country skiing (there is a zip on the side for ease of mobility) or hiking. I wear the mini skirt to work. The Skhoop comes in many different lengths.

I can't speak to downhill skiing since I don't do that anymore. Something about being old makes me value my safety more than when I was 20.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

I wear the longer ones (knee length) cross country skiing (there is a zip on the side for ease of mobility) or hiking. I wear the mini skirt to work. The Skhoop comes in many different lengths.

I own the cheap off brand version of this skirt https://www.smartwool.com/shop/womens-corbet-120-skirt-sw0sp246

And wore it to Quebec's Winter Carnival a couple years ago. It is surprisingly warm over some thermal leggings and really comfortable. I don't ski so can't speak to that, but did ice skate in it (and I'm a decently fast skater), and after unzipping the bottom a bit, I had a full range of motion. 

That being said, Callie's skirt looks like it could be a bit more restrictive. Also, she looks exactly like Katie and I can't believe I didn't notice that before. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I own the cheap off brand version of this skirt https://www.smartwool.com/shop/womens-corbet-120-skirt-sw0sp246

That's the one I wear out and about and to work! I love it so much, but it was pricey. So many compliments, but then people hear that it's not a skhoop and they don't like it as much. People are so weird about their brands here. It has to be "the brand" or the costco version, apparently.

2 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

That being said, Callie's skirt looks like it could be a bit more restrictive. Also, she looks exactly like Katie and I can't believe I didn't notice that before. 

I think the panel that is a different color might be stretchy? I don't know. I can't tell if it's a girls skirt or if they put her in an XS for women. It's not the kid's Skhoop, that one has a zipper in the front.

I am spending way too much time thinking about this.

• Upvote 2

You can clearly see in this instance that wearing skirts for them is a matter of apeareances more than a matter of real modesty, because no way anyone would think a snow suit is inmodest. They have to make their poor girls wear that just so they can post it on instagram to show their followers how they are such holy people. 

• Upvote 10

so dumb. They could just get them longer jackets (like the mid- thigh parka style) and call it a dress. How are you supposed to maneuver or get up after a spill in that? And it doesn't even look feminine or modest -- it looks bulky and calls attention. Callie wears knee length dresses with leggings all the time. She could easily wear a parka and tight ski pants for a similar "Feminine" look. 

Most ski jackets (unless you're going for the one piece 80s cinched waist look) actually cover the butt and crotch anyways. Kelly is definitely thinking of jaunty cross-country skiing outfits, which people would wear thermal tights/leggings for and might wear an insulated mini skirt akin to a tennis or golf skirt. smh

• Upvote 5

I've been skiing in Italy, Austria, Germany and Switzerland on many occasions in the last 20 years and I never saw a ski skirt like that till I joined Free Jinger ???

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I just find it amusing. I have retro style bathing suits because I don't like showing my midsection. And Taylor Swift made them popular so I don't feel stupid wearing them. Anyway. Literally no one in Europe wears stuff like that. I've been all over the Mediterranean and butt cheeks and skimpy tops are the way to go. I don't ski but but I highly assume that not a single European sole is wearing a knee length modesty parka skirt.

• Upvote 7

Does anyone know where Ellie's middle name Bridget is from? I had a look to see if it was any of Kelly's relatives, but I couldn't find one called Bridget. Bridget seems like a very Catholic name to me, so I thought it was interesting that (presumably, Idk, the Duggars are) anti-Catholic parents would give their daughter such a Catholic name, but maybe it's from a relative. 

• Upvote 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic