IGNORED

What Are You Reading Part 3

Coconut Flan

On 12/16/2022 at 6:33 PM, church_of_dog said:

I have A World of Curiosities audiobook from Overdrive right now and it will be my weekend listening.

I read this in pretty much one sitting, then had to do some additional reading on the historical events, individuals, and artwork.  I appreciated the author’s afterwards/acknowledgment.  I’m putting the topics under spoiler so I can recall the subjects as time goes by (my bad memory…).

Spoiler

Painting:  The Paston Treasure.  Tragedy:  Ecole Polytechnique shooting.  Individual:  Anna Lamarque (Folleville).

I also watched the first eight episodes of Three Pines.  It was a good start to the series, and my husband was able to follow the plots, but the books are so rich with character details that I wanted to over explain everything to him, lol!  I did tear up on three occasions.  The author tackles very tough subject matter.

Lately, I’ve been listening to a podcast series called Year of Polygamy, which attempts to give details on the 30+ plural wives of Joseph Smith.  As a side note, that geographical area (I.e., western New York and radiating outwards) was a hotbed of religions competing for members—Universalists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Mormons, etc.  Lots of interesting history. 

• Love 1

@CTRLZero, I did some googling during my listening to A World of Curiosities as well.  

Although I don't think the things you spoilered are actual spoilers, especially since this CBC article appeared before the book was released, with an interview of Louise Penny about the upcoming book (but I'll spoiler the link anyway for anyone who wants it all to be a surprise): 

I will have to google the third of your listed items as I can't place it in the story.

Hmm, sorry everyone else for all the spoiler intrigue!  Maybe I should have just made this a private message instead 😁

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 1

Crossing my FJ world with my Websleuths world a bit here.

@CTRLZero, I wanted to ask how closely you are following the Moscow ID student murders story.

In particular, one of the many theories being tossed around Websleuths is the idea that an adherent of what is apparently a relatively strict religious sect in Moscow might have found the worldly/sexy lifestyle of at least some of the murdered students to be offensive, and the murders might have been a "punishment" of a sort, or a frustrated religious adherent lashing out at the "ungodly" etc.

Do you know anything about this religious group out of Moscow?  I can't recall the name but I can search the Websleuths thread to find it if you're not familiar with them.

Given your recent religious readings, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this.

• Upvote 1

@church_of_dog I haven’t been following the horrible story of the murders of the university students, other than it’s such a mystery.  If you think of the name of the religious group, I’d be interested.

Speaking of murder, a few months ago, I mentioned a book about the Daybells, and since then I’ve listened to/read about various religious influences that may have fed into their worldview.  Here’s my earlier quote:

When the Moon Turns to Blood by Leah Sottile - Recap of Chad Daybell  and Lori Vallow’s life and [alleged] crimes. Very interesting glimpses into end times groups, conspiracy theorists, and dysfunctional families. 

In conjunction with the Polygamy podcast I’m listening to, I am reading a companion book, which has documentation that goes along with each wife’s history:  In Sacred Loneliness by Todd Compton.

• Thank You 1

18 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

@church_of_dog I haven’t been following the horrible story of the murders of the university students, other than it’s such a mystery.  If you think of the name of the religious group, I’d be interested.

Speaking of murder, a few months ago, I mentioned a book about the Daybells, and since then I’ve listened to/read about various religious influences that may have fed into their worldview.  Here’s my earlier quote:

When the Moon Turns to Blood by Leah Sottile - Recap of Chad Daybell  and Lori Vallow’s life and [alleged] crimes. Very interesting glimpses into end times groups, conspiracy theorists, and dysfunctional families. 

In conjunction with the Polygamy podcast I’m listening to, I am reading a companion book, which has documentation that goes along with each wife’s history:  In Sacred Loneliness by Todd Compton.

I think it's called Christ Church Congragation.  Here is a news article from 2021 about them, and just scanning it I see reference to at least one book, so if this fits within your scope of interest, you have some reading you can pursue if interested.

https://theconversation.com/in-moscow-idaho-conservative-christian-reconstructionists-are-thriving-amid-evangelical-turmoil-162652

Oh, I see this is connected to Pastor Douglas Wilson, who I've seen mentioned many times here on FJ though I haven't followed his threads.  I'll do a little FJ search to see if the current threads about him connect at all to the murders.  I just have a creepy feeling this was a religious-based crime, rather than "generic" mass murder or college crime.

• Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

My December-into-January reading.  (You can tell it's not yardwork weather and I'm not spending time on the treadmill because my audiobook consumption is less than half what it is when those things are a focus of my time...)

Confidence Man: The Making of Donald Trump and the Breaking of America, by Maggie Haberman

Another good anti-Trump book.  More coverage of his pre-White House time than most of the other books.  Bits about his parents and grandparents and the building of the real estate business, his cruelty as a child, the many ways he scammed people in the real estate days.

A World of Curiosities, by Louise Penny

#18 in the Armand Gamache series.  I really liked it, would rank it probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite of all the books.

Rationality:  What It Is, Why It Seems Scarce, Why It Matters, by Steven Pinker

Really interesting!  Hard to explain in just a few words.  People are so resistant to rationality, seem to really want to rely on intangible emotions in situations where facts ought to rule.  Why?  The author attempts to inquire and explain.

Tight Hip, Twisted Core, by Christine Koth

This wasn't especially written well -- she really needs a good editor -- but the information was spot on, just what I needed.  Common hip problems.  Anatomy of the hip muscles and how they affect the rest of the body, and ways a person can release the muscles to remove pain and reverse any twist the body has made in response to pain or injury.

I've had back issues for decades, and have seen chiropractors on and off for 30 years, and had of course heard of massage and things like foam rollers (which I do use) to unkink tight muscles.  But the idea, described by Koth, that sustained (like 60-90 seconds) static pressure will cause a muscle to relax?  I had not heard of that.  But I tried it with my chiropractor-supplied "wall ball" (actually a lacrosse ball).  I lay flat on the floor and put the ball behind me, above one shoulder blade, under the part of my neck muscle that often gets tense.  Then I lay still, trying to "relax in" to the pressure of the ball.  After about 45 seconds I suddenly realized that the muscle had relaxed and I could barely feel the ball anymore.  Tried it on the other shoulder and it worked there too.  Got up and felt my neck more unkinked than it had been in weeks!

This persuaded me to shell out for the gadget Koth sells alongside her book.  It's called the Hip Hook, and it's aimed at releasing the psoas and iliacus muscles on the front of the hip.  The hook is ridiculously expensive, but the similar gadgets I considered before buying were designed differently and I wanted the shape of hers and the idea it can reach the elusive iliacus muscle which lies flat against the front of the wide part of the pelvic bone.

I've only used it a handful of times so I'm still getting used to it, but so far I like it.  Of course it's not enough to just release the frozen muscles, then you have to reverse any rotation or twist your body has acquired, and build up strength in the surrounding muscles to support the skeleton in remaining aligned.  I'm just getting going with that, and will report on the exercise thread once I have anything to report.

The Unthinkable:  Who Survives When Disaster Strikes -- And Why, by Amanda Ripley

Another REALLY interesting book!  She delves into how psychology and mindset shape and affect how people react in emergencies.  Many people become figuratively or literally blind to the awareness that they need to take action.  Many people become figuratively frozen -- which can be a lifesaver if you're in the room with a mass shooter, but can be your death knell if you're in a burning building and should be evacuating.  Only a few people respond "heroically".  If the topic is of even slight interest you will probably enjoy this book.

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

• 4 weeks later...

My late-January reading:

Entangled Life:  How Fungi Make Our Worlds, Change Our Minds and Shape Our Future, by Merlin Sheldrake

Totally fascinating!  A bit science-heavy for an audiobook, but I wasn't going to test myself on taxonomy, or botanical or biological processes afterwards, I just listened with the goal of getting the gist of what he's talking about, and I was truly blown away by the magnitude of the role fungi plays in the world, including in human life, and also by how generally unaware of that fact we all are.  Highly recommend!

The Locked Door, by Freida McFadden

I enjoyed this psychological thriller but it left a bit to be desired, in plot, character development, and writing style.  I had initially been interested in a different book of hers, which was unavailable at the moment so I selected this one instead, and now I'm unsure if I want to read that other book of hers after all.

Just The Nicest Couple, by Mary Kubica

Another suspenseful psychological thriller.  I liked this one fairly well though it wasn't among my favorites of hers.  Some of the character behavior struck me as pretty implausible.  But overall the plot was intriguing, and I do like Mary Kubica's writing and her books in general.

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Thank You 2

I read Bloodmarked, the second book in the Legendborn series. And this week learned that I believe there’s going to be a3 book which makes me really happy. Highly recommend this series. It’s a modern day, very diverse, very inclusive sort of retelling of Arthurian legend, with a lot of magic involved. And it’s very well written.

• Thank You 2

42 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I read Bloodmarked, the second book in the Legendborn series. And this week learned that I believe there’s going to be a3 book which makes me really happy. Highly recommend this series. It’s a modern day, very diverse, very inclusive sort of retelling of Arthurian legend, with a lot of magic involved. And it’s very well written.

Almost nothing is better than learning that a series you love is coming out with another book!

• I Agree 2

Someone else had referred to it as a dualology, and my reaction was no! I don’t want to leave this world I want to go back.

• Upvote 1

Just finished Daisy Jones and The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (the mini series of this hits Prime in March)

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2023 at 8:21 PM, clueliss said:

Just finished Daisy Jones and The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (the mini series of this hits Prime in March)

I did not enjoy the book. The format was tedious. Like reading the transcript of the longest episode of Behind the Music ever made. But I do think it may translate well to the screen if they don’t stick to only the interview format. 

I am trying to finish Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver. The first half was good but it drags on the second. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Three books for my March reading:

The Appeal, by Janice Hallett.  Loved this book!  It took me a while to settle into it, because it has many characters, and the unusual format (emails and text messages, primarily, with occasional bits of two people reviewing and discussing said messages) made it take longer than otherwise might to figure out who's who.  Add to that, the fact I was listening to an audio version and that it's set in England so there are a wide range of accents.  But once I got settled, I really loved it.

Polio: An American Story, by David M. Oshinsky.  Another excellent book, the history of the development of the Polio vaccine(s) and all the politics that accompanied that time.  People were afraid of the illness and eager for the vaccines, unlike the contentious situation today with the covid vaccines, but there was still plenty of conflict and issues.  The book included a good bit of FDR's life with polio, and of course I had forgotten that the March of Dimes was originally created to help fight polio.  All in all, a really interesting bit of history and especially timely!

The Darling Dahlias and the Red Hot Poker, by Susan Wittig Albert.  The latest in this cozy mystery series that I just love, for its depiction of a small town southern community during the Depression.  This one was set in 1935 and included some actual history -- primarily the presidential candidacy of Huey P. Long and the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane which killed many WWI veterans who were in the Florida Keys working on a New Deal project.  And in a nice segue from the polio book, FDR and his "Little White House" polio  facility in Warm Springs, GA are also featured.  This book is #10 in the series and is probably my favorite.

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

Three books for my March reading:

The Appeal, by Janice Hallett.  Loved this book!  It took me a while to settle into it, because it has many characters, and the unusual format (emails and text messages, primarily, with occasional bits of two people reviewing and discussing said messages) made it take longer than otherwise might to figure out who's who.  Add to that, the fact I was listening to an audio version and that it's set in England so there are a wide range of accents.  But once I got settled, I really loved it.

Polio: An American Story, by David M. Oshinsky.  Another excellent book, the history of the development of the Polio vaccine(s) and all the politics that accompanied that time.  People were afraid of the illness and eager for the vaccines, unlike the contentious situation today with the covid vaccines, but there was still plenty of conflict and issues.  The book included a good bit of FDR's life with polio, and of course I had forgotten that the March of Dimes was originally created to help fight polio.  All in all, a really interesting bit of history and especially timely!

The Darling Dahlias and the Red Hot Poker, by Susan Wittig Albert.  The latest in this cozy mystery series that I just love, for its depiction of a small town southern community during the Depression.  This one was set in 1935 and included some actual history -- primarily the presidential candidacy of Huey P. Long and the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane which killed many WWI veterans who were in the Florida Keys working on a New Deal project.  And in a nice segue from the polio book, FDR and his "Little White House" polio  facility in Warm Springs, GA are also featured.  This book is #10 in the series and is probably my favorite.

Oops, I meant my February reading!  too late to edit, sigh...

I just started Brad Meltzer’s Nazi Conspiracy (non fiction) on audiobook.  Apparently, the Nazis tried to kill Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin in Iran circa 1943.  

i had gotten to a section discussing American sentiments agreeing sort of kinder with the Nazis circa 1940 or so, and Ford was brought up when I got home.

discussing American sentiments agreeing sort of kinder with the Nazis circa 1940 or so, and Ford was brought up when I got home.

I’ve read his prior books on Lincoln and I think the other one was Washington. Both of them were very very good, so I’m looking forward to this.

• Thank You 2

I have a question: Did anybody read the book from Yeonmin Park "While time remains"?  She pops up in my Youtube feed (or however you call that) and I am know thinking about reading her book. 

• Upvote 1

I just finished The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O’Farrell.  Historical Fiction about the death of Lucrezia De Medici at the whopping age if 16 after she was married off to Alfonso D’Este (II).  

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Bad Mormon by Heather Gay was interesting.  She always had a bit of a rebellious streak, but forced herself into the Mormon mold, including going on a mission.  Later she became a cast member on The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City.  I have never watched these Real Housewives shows, and don’t plan to start now 😁, but it was interesting to read about the progression.

On 3/6/2023 at 12:08 PM, church_of_dog said:

The Appeal, by Janice Hallett.  Loved this book!  It took me a while to settle into it, because it has many characters

I’m reading it now and enjoying it.  The format and number of characters made it necessary to do this, lol:

Spoiler

7CA6443A-4BB0-48F5-8690-92A3ED1BEA21.thumb.jpeg.3d114901781a7225ddedbd2b7734f242.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

On 3/8/2023 at 10:16 AM, Scrabblemaster said:

I have a question: Did anybody read the book from Yeonmin Park "While time remains"?  She pops up in my Youtube feed (or however you call that) and I am know thinking about reading her book. 

I read her first book, In Order to Live, and found it strange. As in, it’s probably one of those books that is more fiction than memoir but it’s hard to call it out as dishonest because of the level of trauma. She had no doubt been severely victimized, but also she is very in tune with manipulation necessary for survival and I found it uncomfortable the degree to which she speaks in terms of absolute truth with no expectation of pushback or fact checking.

Edited by noseybutt
  • Thank You 1

As today is the day that Archbishop of Canterbury Thomas Cranmer was burned at the stake in 1556 on the orders of Queen Mary I've been reading a reproduction of the 1549 version of the Book of Common Prayer that I picked up several years ago.  That was the version that was published under Cranmer's direction and leadership.  It's changed quite a bit over the years but at its core all other Anglican prayer books were based on.

Cranmer attempted to renounce Protestantism in the hopes it would save his life but Mary insisted he be executed.  He was made to give a final sermon at Oxford's University Church in which he was supposed to speak about the need to obey the Queen and kiss the Pope's rear, but part way through Cranmer abandoned his prepared speech and delivered an epic fornicate you to both Mary and the roman church.  He was grabbed right away and taken out to be executed.  Cranmer thrust the hand he had signed his earlier renunciations with into the fire so that it would burn first. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

My March Reading:

Why We Forget and How to Remember Better:  The Science Behind Memory, by Andrew E. Budson.

Mixed reaction.  The first part of the book was the sciency part and I found it fascinating and informative and helpful.  Anatomy of how memory works.  How dementia affects memory.  Etc.  Then it switched into "how to remember better" mode and was ridiculously stupid.  "Try using post-it notes or your phone's reminder apps" level stupid.  Ah well, the first half was worth the second half.

The Clutter Corpse, by Simon Brett.

A very cozy mystery-ish book, which was nothing spectacular writingwise, but which totally delighted me anyway, because I am combination fascinated-and-inspired by any clutter/decluttering/hoarding stories.  This is the first in a series of three (so far) and I will be definitely reading the others.  I'd never heard of the author but upon googling, found he's a prolific writer with many series to his name.

Norwegian Wood:  Chopping, Stacking and Drying Wood the Scandinavian Way, by Lars Mytting.

This book was mentioned in a blog I read, and the blogger said they were inspired to stack their firewood in a fun and creative way, inspired by this book, which piqued my curiosity.  It was only available as a print book, and I dawdled for months, not setting aside time to read, but when I finally picked it up, it was a quick read and surprisingly interesting for such a "dry" topic.  I doubt I'll change how I stack my firewood though. 😏

The Witch Elm, by Tana French

I'm halfway through this now, and there were things I didn't like about it at first but now it's really growing on me.  I started it right after finishing the clutter mystery, and the difference in writing quality and compelling character development was apparent immediately.  I love Tana French's writing.  I'll have to check but I might be caught up with all her books after this one, in which case she better come out with more soon, please!

It's just about warm and dry enough to start getting back outside for yard projects, plus I'm going to see my mom next week which includes around 16-17 hours of driving, during most of which I can listen to audio, so I'm hoping my book consumption will pick back up again by the end of the month.  So many books awaiting!

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2023 at 12:08 PM, church_of_dog said:

The Appeal, by Janice Hallett.

After I read this and enjoyed it, I checked out another book by Janice Hallett called The Twyford Code.  It also has an interesting premise and format (talk to text), which adds to the plot.  You’ll need to stick with this novel to the end, because it may just have a plot twist or two.  😉 

• Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

My April reading:

all nonfiction history/politics this month.

American Rule: How A Nation Conquered the World But Failed Its People, by Jared Yates Sexton.  Excellent political analysis starting at the political beginnings of colonial America all the way up to you-know-who.  Lots of context which is generally what I'm looking for.

This Is What America Looks Like: My Journey From Refugee to Congresswoman, by Ilhan Omar.  Her very interesting story.

Pelosi, by Molly Ball.  A well-written biography that also included a lot of education for me about the basic workings of Congress, such as how the leaders are chosen, committees, strategies moving a bill forward, etc.  It continued up into the Trump years but ended before the impeachments.  Maybe after she retires she will write an autobiography that includes her important role during those years.

My Beloved World, by Sonia Sotomayor.  An interesting autobiography of her upbringing and determined resolve to become a judge, although she ends the story before arriving at the Supreme Court.

The New Jim Crow:  Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, by Michelle Alexander.  I appreciated the important message of this book even while the actual text was a bit dry and challenging to follow, and I found some parts of it repetitive.  But still worth it.

Big Dirty Money: The Shocking Injustice and Unseen Cost of White Collar Crime, by Jennifer Taub.  I really wanted to like this book, and I did find it informational, but something structural just didn't gel for me and it felt like the book was randomly bouncing around anecdotes rather than telling a coherent story or working toward a conclusion.  

• Thank You 1

I read Where They Lie, a novella by Joe Hart.  The plot involves a family vlogger and a plane crash.  Suspense.  

• Thank You 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have read "The Thursday Murders Club" from Richard Osman. It was funny and nice to read, I liked the plot and can absolutely recommend that.

I have read the first and second book of the trilogy from Veronia Rossi. The first one was "Under the Never sky" and the second one was "Through the Never night". It's a youth fantasy book. It is okay, I expect some kind of happy ending. I have the third part here from my library.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1