IGNORED

Joy & Austin 28: loss and mourning

laPapessaGiovanna

7 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Would a bridge work

That option was mentioned if an implant is unsuccessful.  My mum is the on,y person I know with one, and has had trouble with hers, so I hadn’t considered that as an option.  

The timing of this dental work isn’t great, but I can’t put it off any longer.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

I had dry socket from wisdom teeth removal and while it wasn’t fun, it wasn’t excruciating, don’t be afraid! Pain meds don’t stop that specific pain, but a little dressing with clove oil packed into the site does, and usually your dentist will do that immediately if you have dry socket.

I had surgery in my hometown and drove back to college with dry socket, in post thanksgiving interstate traffic, because my mom didn’t believe me about the pain (thanks intergenerational addiction and medical trauma issues). Eventually I was heard and the surgeon she found in my college town had me in there in 20 minutes, and the pain was gone instantly. You got this, even bad case scenario!

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, CharlieInCharge said:

Ok, I love you all, but this thread just made me nauseous. 

Does anyone have nail polish recommendations or curly hair help or period panty suggestions? Anything? Please? 

Lol I just did my nails. Daisy DND in Forest Green and Champagne 

11DE8866-96BA-40EE-90AD-3CCBE92E3C82.thumb.jpeg.80cf00c0b688750b88946b5842f7183c.jpeg

Edited by Jinder Roles
  • Upvote 23
  • Love 14

1 hour ago, theotherelise said:

I like Shea moisture curl cream for my curls. But people keep asking me if I’ve tried curly girl method. I feel like it’s more dedication that I’ve got time for, but I haven’t actually looked at it.

just tried defy and inspire nail polish from target and was impressed for a 9-free brand. It lasts longer on toes of course.

i avoid phthalates parabens sls and other chemicals, so my beauty recommendations follow that!

I avoid those as well. Interesting thing, my daughter had itchy scalp and it stopped being itchy when she started using hair products without all you mentioned.  She has acne and it was hard to treat.  I realized the products we were using/trying had those chemicals in them.  Switched to Mario Badescu (sp?) Acne kit and her skin looks sooo much better!   She's apparently allergic.  Retin-A is the only thing that worked for me but, at 12 yrs old, I don't think it a great idea to give her high dose vitamin A.  In a few years.  

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

@Beermeet

Somewhat cheaper than the Mario Badescu sulfur product is an equivalent one called bye bye blemish.

It is the exact same thing. Not sure what else she's using but for direct spot removal I find that nothing is better. Pink drying goo and half the price of the Badescu one.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

59 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Lol I just did my nails. Daisy DND in Forest Green and Champagne 

11DE8866-96BA-40EE-90AD-3CCBE92E3C82.thumb.jpeg.80cf00c0b688750b88946b5842f7183c.jpeg

I don’t even do nail polish other than special events and I think your’s looks absolutely fantastic! You seriously did that yourself?! Mine would look like I just got back from murdering Kermit the Frog if I tried doing it myself. ?

• Haha 25

11 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I don’t even do nail polish other than special events and I think your’s looks absolutely fantastic! You seriously did that yourself?! Mine would look like I just got back from murdering Kermit the Frog if I tried doing it myself. ?

Haha no, I left it to the professionals. 

I’m not bad at painting my own though. I find that I absolutely cannot paint other people’s nails

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

42 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Haha this is me too. I didn’t own nail polish until a couple of years ago when my kids wanted me to paint THEIR nails. I am not good at it and their cuticles end up rather colourful, but they don’t care. I like the standards of children. Much easier to achieve.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 6

I paint my own nails. I was a nail biter for years and I found it helped me stop. I don’t keep them too long, though. 

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I don’t mind the thread drift, but I am always looking for curly hair help so I anyone has any great products for curly hair that is thin I would love to hear about it!!

Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine is the stuff of dreams. It works for me (fine curly hair), cloudlet #1 (thick, wavy hair that is secretly curly) and cloudlet #2 (the thickest, shiniest, most gorgeous straight hair with just the tiniest bit of wave to give it bounce and form. Seriously, kid has model hair. I know she’s biologically mine but still have no explanation how this has happened).

For myself, I found a product called hair mayonnaise - it’s a nourishing hair mask for curly hair so dry it can be used as kindling. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, AliceInFundyland said:

@Beermeet

Somewhat cheaper than the Mario Badescu sulfur product is an equivalent one called bye bye blemish.

It is the exact same thing. Not sure what else she's using but for direct spot removal I find that nothing is better. Pink drying goo and half the price of the Badescu one.

So, I have used that pink drying lotion for years.  Works well!  This is a face wash, astringent, mask and a little spot cream ( not the pink one).  Think Proactive but awesome and no parabens,sls and stuff. 

Thank you! I'll ck out bye bye! 

@Jinder Roles  I love your mani, you have beautiful fingers, btw :)

Parabens, if you don't already know my female friends,  mimics estrogen in our bodies. Especially bad for growing girls.  SLS is a chemical used to make things foam. It's in everything, even toothpaste.  The bubbles give the feeling of *cleaner*.  It is not cleaning better, it's a chemical gimmick.

Edited by Beermeet
I got the Badescu kit at Ulta. $30 for a trial kit. Well worth it! Will get larger ones next!
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Karma said:

That option was mentioned if an implant is unsuccessful.  My mum is the on,y person I know with one, and has had trouble with hers, so I hadn’t considered that as an option.  

The timing of this dental work isn’t great, but I can’t put it off any longer.

A bridge is great, if you already have larger fillings on the anchor teeth. Virgin teeth?  Implant all the way.  Bridges done poorly suck. Even bridges done to perfection require more care. A floss threader needs to used daily to clean under the fake tooth. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

@VelociRapture look, I don't mean to be upset with you but I can't believe your dog looked like a cinnamon bun and we didn't even get a picture.

Spoiler

cinnamon bun dog.jpg

Edited by GuineaPigCourtship
It's cool, I found a pic of velocipuppy.
  • Haha 15

Anyone have a way to transition from coloring your hair (kind of a golden brown) to its natural state? Currently I have temporary coloring put on every five or six weeks. How can you go grey gracefully without just having grey roots until it grows out? I guess right now it’s naturally 50/50. I really detest the idea of dyeing it a monotone blond. I’ve considered a light streaking , so as to have some depth in color, but I’m fearful of looking like a skunk. I’ve also thought about just jumping in with both feet and dyeing it grey. That would require really bleaching out color, which would be rough on my very fine hair. I’m counting on the corporate wisdom here. Thanks.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I don’t mind the thread drift, but I am always looking for curly hair help so I anyone has any great products for curly hair that is thin I would love to hear about it!!

I have tried all of the products! I love the shampoo and conditioner by Mixed Chicks. I found Deva Curl and Ouidad to be a little too heavy for my curls.  My second favorite ( and a little cheaper) is Maui Curl Quench + Coconut Oil shampoo and conditioner.

Once, I paid extra to get a hair cut by a stylist certified in the “Deva Curl” way and the main things I took away were:

1. Have your stylist cut your hair dry.

2. When you apply gel make sure your hair is soaking wet.

3. Apply more gel than you need - to make a “cast”.

4. Never comb or brush your curls. Just scrunch gently with a thin towel.

5. Air dry or partly diffuse.

?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Curly girls - look into the Curly Girl Method. Lorraine Massey wrote a book but you can get the basics online without buying it.

Tiptoe carefully in some of the online communities - some are friendly and relaxed but other groups are really strict about it.

I follow the main ‘rules’ (no sulfate shampoos, silicone free), but I break others (I brush my hair with a Denman, use oils and colour it).

Bounce curl products are excellent. Pricey, but worth it. Jessicurl doesn’t work on my hair unfortunately. I want to love it :( I’m not sure if the other brands I use are available outside Australia (everescents).

Edited by adidas
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, neurogirl said:

The adult canines also had to pulled down with little chains (like getting braces tightened).

Are you me? You're the first person other than myself I've heard of having this happen! I got braces at the same time, so they attached the chains to them. Chain attachment was pretty awful; I had to get extra Novocaine halfway through.

I had the twilight IV stuff for wisdom tooth removal, and that surgery was a breeze, even though they were all impacted. However, I ended up with an infection and found recovery tiring. My go-to for food was pasta, interestingly enough.

I try different products all the time for my hair, but my scalp gets greasy so I always keep some sort of mild shampoo on hand (right now Shea Moisture), as well as a leave-in conditioner because my hair tangles so easily (right now Aunt Jackie's). I haven't used a brush on my hair in years --- fingers or wide combs only! I find it helps keep my hair strands more sturdy.

• Upvote 5

Regarding the US dentists doing wisdom teeth removal under anesthesia, that’s how mine were done. They were also impacted and gave me two infections before being removed. But I do have a bit of cross-cultural comparison to offer.

During the first infection, I was living in South Korea. The dentist there actually referred me to a hospital to get them removed, since it’d be under anesthesia. I got pregnant about two months later and put it off, leading to the second infection when my kid was about a year old. Then I finally had them removed via oral surgeon. My dentist didn’t do those kinds of procedures, much like the one in Korea. 

My deepest sympathies for those facing major dental procedures. I have major dental anxiety exacerbated by years going without regular treatments due to lack of insurance and poverty. This stuff can be really scary. I wish all of you and your teeth the very best in the future. 

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Beermeet said:

Parabens, if you don't already know my female friends,  mimics estrogen in our bodies. Especially bad for growing girls.  SLS is a chemical used to make things foam. It's in everything, even toothpaste.  The bubbles give the feeling of *cleaner*.  It is not cleaning better, it's a chemical gimmick.

Wow! I actually had no idea about this! None! I need to look into this further. Yikes! Could something like this make your hormones go whacky (temporarily) or does that have nothing to do with it?

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

@VelociRapture look, I don't mean to be upset with you but I can't believe your dog looked like a cinnamon bun and we didn't even get a picture.

Hide contents

cinnamon bun dog.jpg

I’m never as tempted to share personal photos on here as I am when the subject of dogs come up. I can’t bring myself to do it though just because privacy is my thing since welcoming my human child. 

10 hours ago, Beermeet said:

So, I have used that pink drying lotion for years.  Works well!  This is a face wash, astringent, mask and a little spot cream ( not the pink one).  Think Proactive but awesome and no parabens,sls and stuff. 

Thank you! I'll ck out bye bye! 

@Jinder Roles  I love your mani, you have beautiful fingers, btw :)

That’s interesting. I have PCOS and now I’m wondering if maybe something like this might make things worse. I’ll have to look into it more at some point - I have a daughter and I’d like to set her up with a decent health foundation she can later destroy through her own (potential) horrible life choices. ?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

privacy is my thing

No worries, I hope it came across that I was joking.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

No worries, I hope it came across that I was joking.

Oh you did. That photo is the single most beautiful thing I’ve seen all morning. It’s a glorious CinnaLab Roll! ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

@mollysmom - Pthalates (any synthetic fragrance or "parfum" on an ingredient list) also act as an endocrine disruptor. BPA got the bad rap, but parabens and pthalates somehow stayed above the fray. SLS has been linked more to cancer than endocrine issues, but there is some evidence of both I guess.

For most people. the small amount of potential disruption is  probably not a big deal. You might want to cut back a little bit if you can. I don't advocate that every person should end all use of the products or else they're ruining their hormones. But I already have a hormone imbalance, so I try to avoid any synthetic influence. And there are so many more options now! 

If you do decide you want to prioritize eliminating endocrine disruptors in your life, this is the path I recommend so as not to get overwhelmed...

1. Use glass, ceramic, or aluminum for on the go beverages and never put hot drink in plastic (even bpa-free labelled)
  2. Replace plastic food containers with glass, especially anything you heat up in the microwave.
  3. For beauty/health products, first look at the ones that stay on your skin like lotions and moisturizers and look for natural, fragrance-free products free of parabens and pthalates. The less ingredients the better.
  4. If you want to do more, look at your body wash, face wash, makeup, and all hair products
Edited by theotherelise
spelling
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 8
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I’m never as tempted to share personal photos on here as I am when the subject of dogs come up. I can’t bring myself to do it though just because privacy is my thing since welcoming my human child. 

That’s interesting. I have PCOS and now I’m wondering if maybe something like this might make things worse. I’ll have to look into it more at some point - I have a daughter and I’d like to set her up with a decent health foundation she can later destroy through her own (potential) horrible life choices. ?

The good news is that these free of harmful chemicals products are everywhere these days. Target has an impressive amount. I finally found a deodorant that works without aluminum and propylene glycol that actually works. Burts Bees is great for baby.  Even L'oreal has sulfate and paraben free products.  

@theotherelise  Awesome breakdown!  I also use dye and fragrance free, SLS free cleaning soaps. All of this is so available now and these unnecessary chemicals just can't be good for us or our oceans.  I recently replaced my teflon pots and pans with ceramic.  Over the years, I'm trying to avoid these things and be better at living cleaner.  It's crazy how hard it can be, mentally, to get used to less suds!  

Edited by Beermeet
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I have fine, curly hair and I finally figured out the perfect product regimen for me a few years ago.  They aren't cheap, but to me it's worth it to use products designed for curly hair.  I buy in bulk on amazon. 

Shampoo: Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo

Conditioner: Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner

Detangler: Kinky Curly Knot Today (I finger-comb my hair in the shower with this in it after conditioning, then rinse. I lose almost no hair when I do this---before I started this method/product combo breakage/shedding was a real problem.)

Styling cream: Rene Furterer Karinga Hydrating Styling Cream 

Gel: Miss Jessie's Jelly Soft Curls

When I get out of the shower, I wrap a towel around my head to soak up moisture for 5-10 min, then I put in the styling cream (for softness), the gel (for definition), and apply any drugstore volumizing mousse at the roots.  Then I either air dry or blow dry with a diffuser. I have short hair now but when it was longer I would scrunch and pin it up with claw clips while drying so that the weight of the wet hair wouldn't straighten it out near the top. 

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic