IGNORED

Am I a houseplant murderer?

ViolaSebastian

I have a lovely houseplant given to me as a gift when I left a job two years ago. As far as I can tell, it's a Flowering Kalanchoe, but I could be wrong. It's the first plant I've ever owned, so be patient with me here, I'm learning. It did really well until a few months ago, when I started to notice that it was getting overcrowded in the pot it was in. I replanted it two months ago and thought everything was good. It then developed this weird, light-colored coating on its leaves and a sort of black rot type issue, which I interpreted to be some sort of fungal situation. I treated it for fungus and all the leaves fell off, but the stem is all good and now it's growing tiny little baby leaves, so I think it's going to be okay. However, a new issue has arisen in that I've gotten a massive infestation of fruit flies. I discovered today that this particular plant is ground zero for what can best be described as a fruit fly brothel. I've managed to kill many of them using my hands and a paper towel, but there are still some left flying I couldn't get to. Does anyone have any advice for me in this situation? The plant seems to be on the mend, and I'd really like to keep it alive as it has sentimental value. Also, are there are pest sprays I can safely use around it to combat the fruit flies?

I appreciate it!

It sounds like you've got fungus gnats rather than fruit flies. This site explains the differences and tells how to get rid of the gnats. I've gone with the reduced watering in the past.

https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/houseplant-pests/fungus-gnat-control/

On 7/3/2019 at 9:17 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

I have a lovely houseplant given to me as a gift when I left a job two years ago. As far as I can tell, it's a Flowering Kalanchoe, but I could be wrong. It's the first plant I've ever owned, so be patient with me here, I'm learning. It did really well until a few months ago, when I started to notice that it was getting overcrowded in the pot it was in. I replanted it two months ago and thought everything was good. It then developed this weird, light-colored coating on its leaves and a sort of black rot type issue, which I interpreted to be some sort of fungal situation. I treated it for fungus and all the leaves fell off, but the stem is all good and now it's growing tiny little baby leaves, so I think it's going to be okay. However, a new issue has arisen in that I've gotten a massive infestation of fruit flies. I discovered today that this particular plant is ground zero for what can best be described as a fruit fly brothel. I've managed to kill many of them using my hands and a paper towel, but there are still some left flying I couldn't get to. Does anyone have any advice for me in this situation? The plant seems to be on the mend, and I'd really like to keep it alive as it has sentimental value. Also, are there are pest sprays I can safely use around it to combat the fruit flies?

I appreciate it!

A solution with Marseille soap and water sprayed on the leaves, it's a very good pesticide. Repeat after a few days until you are sure that you got them all.

• Upvote 1

I don’t know if Marseille soap is the same but oil based soaps like Castile or even Murphy’s oil soap mixed with water in a spray bottle works well. I also put those mosquito dunks in my watering can. It kills off any larvae in the soil. You may be overwatering it too. Let it dry out a bit in between wayerings.

• 3 years later...

@Bastet I never fed my indoor plants until 2 years ago. I had some problems with one very old plant, it neatly lost all its leaves. After I used fertilizer for indoor plants it stopped loosing its leaves. I started to use fertilizer for my indoor plants from time to time.

A couple of moths ago one of my indoor plants got greenflies/aphids/plant-lice (not sur about the right englisch word) and I read that the reason might be to much fertilizer. So now I try to balance between fertilize enough to lot loose the leaves and not fertilize to much to prevent lice.  

I am way better with indoor plants than with gardening. But I am still learning.  My living room looks like a little jungle because I save dying plants from friends anf family. I mostly do try and error.

Edited by Scrabblemaster

4 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

@Bastet I never fed my indoor plants until 2 years ago. I had some problems with one very old plant, it neatly lost all its leaves. After I used fertilizer for indoor plants it stopped loosing its leaves. I started to use fertilizer for my indoor plants from time to time.

A couple of moths ago one of my indoor plants got greenflies/aphids/plant-lice (not sur about the right englisch word) and I read that the reason might be to much fertilizer. So now I try to balance between fertilize enough to lot loose the leaves and not fertilize to much to prevent lice.  

I am way better with indoor plants than with gardening. But I am still learning.  My living room looks like a little jungle because I save dying plants from friends anf family. I mostly do try and error.

Thanks. I have my fungus gnats under control. The secret seems to be to do everything for a couple of months and mosquito bits forever. 
  I don’t fertilize that much, but there is fertilizer in most potting soil here and I sometimes worry about that.