IGNORED

RC Sproul Jr.'s Wife Very Sick

DomWackTroll

Does this mean that he used the church's credit card for his private use?

Can we start another thread on this issue. Some of the material on that site is interesting.

Feel free. The fundies have been discussing and arguing over this amongst themselves for several years now. The bright light is not kind to RC Sproul Jr.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Darby: When is the last time you and yours have shown such a ground-swell of support for a non-QF family?

My money is on,"Never."

You care for your own -- i.e., you love those who love you -- and that's the limit of your compassion. And yet you dare demand more from us, the heathen? Seriously?

I just think it's a sad way to go through life, thinking your God hates you and is disgusted with you, but deigns to let you carry on because of his son's sacrifice. And plodding through life feeling bad about yourself all the time, and just waiting for your "reward" after death seems dismal.

...I'd rather spend my life in joy, trying to be the best person I can be, regardless of what happens, for good or for bad, and let "God" decide what to do with me afterwards. Who knows, maybe he grades on the curve... :D

:clap: , Kitten!!! In my own life, I have learned that Catholic guilt and clinical depression are a bad match. The Universalist part of UU has set me free.

I think that the reason that Darby told us that we wouldn't make converts is because that is why members of her church might reach out to help a nonmember. They wouldn't help out of a desire to be loving or Christlike but to convert someone. So, she can't understand that we are not trying to win converts.

Hane said:

Kitten!!! In my own life, I have learned that Catholic guilt and clinical depression are a bad match. The Universalist part of UU has set me free.

(Waving at Hane) Hi there! Another cradle Catholic, current UU here. Amen to that. I would really prefer no church at all, but came to the UUs via my husband and my youngest son, who got there first. The UU folk have been unbelievably friendly and welcoming compared to the numerous Catholic congregations I've been in.

Hey, Boltingmadonna! Religion and faith without guilt! Who woulda thunk it?

• 7 months later...
@ Darby: When is the last time you and yours have shown such a ground-swell of support for a non-QF family?

My money is on,"Never."

You care for your own -- i.e., you love those who love you -- and that's the limit of your compassion. And yet you dare demand more from us, the heathen? Seriously?

Well, she ministers to women outside abortion clinics. Because it's such a glorious joy to see the smile on their face and lead them to God, or something.

Having a family member especially a close one, dying is an incredibly hard time on any family. My mom and I were in the room when my grandfather quite suddenly and (mostly) unexpectedly passed. We were suddenly faced with the reality of calling all of the family that had gathered after his heart attack to share the news, including his wife of 50+ years, who had wanted to go to the hospital that night, but since things didn't seem serious, we all talked her out of going. Death sucks. I have immense sympathy for anyone going through the death of a loved one, especially someone they are close to. I have no sympathy for patriarchal movements that strive to put women (and men) into boxes, that seek to limit anyone's potential. The movements get no sympathy from me. The ideals spouted by people who follow those movements get no sympathy from me. The people in those movements facing real and tragic circumstances get sympathy from me. If their terrible choices have led to their tragic circumstances, I expect them to make better choices in the future, but people make mistakes...and even people who make perfect choices all the time (no one) have terrible things happen to them. Ms. Sproul, I have nothing but sympathy and empathy for the health problems happening in your family.

Having a family member especially a close one, dying is an incredibly hard time on any family. My mom and I were in the room when my grandfather quite suddenly and (mostly) unexpectedly passed. We were suddenly faced with the reality of calling all of the family that had gathered after his heart attack to share the news, including his wife of 50+ years, who had wanted to go to the hospital that night, but since things didn't seem serious, we all talked her out of going. Death sucks. I have immense sympathy for anyone going through the death of a loved one, especially someone they are close to. I have no sympathy for patriarchal movements that strive to put women (and men) into boxes, that seek to limit anyone's potential. The movements get no sympathy from me. The ideals spouted by people who follow those movements get no sympathy from me. The people in those movements facing real and tragic circumstances get sympathy from me. If their terrible choices have led to their tragic circumstances, I expect them to make better choices in the future, but people make mistakes...and even people who make perfect choices all the time (no one) have terrible things happen to them. Ms.

Sproul, I have nothing but sympathy and empathy for the health problems happening in your family.

Me, too. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.That's when shit gets real.

Has RC remarried yet?

My money is still on the tornado widow for his potential help-meat.

Big ditto here. He's due for a bit of sweet fellowship.

Darby, if by chance you do still read here, I'm very sorry about your mom. My husband is dying of cancer and I know it is a horrific thing to watch.

I've started a thread on the controversies surrounding Sproul, Jr and others in his circle.

Having lost ... Let me count... 4 beloved friends to nasty illnesses in the past year, I know there's a place for condolence and another for Analysis. Thus the new topic. FWIW.

Despite my rather hateful comment about his future relationship with the tornado widow, the Sprouls have my sympathy. It is hard to watch someone die from cancer. I also know you do a lot of your mourning in advance, so it might not be surprising if he remarries quickly.

I think my somewhat mean comment stemmed from a situation I know about personally. A lady I know died in a horrific car accident here in town about a year ago, leaving a husband and young children. They were fairly fundie. The husband remarried within six months. I know it's none of my business, but I thought it stunk that he did that. Like his wife just didn't matter and was completely replaceable. Probably unfair, but that's what I think.

And RC Jr. seems a little oily to me.

Darby esp has my sympathy. Free Darby!

Archived