IGNORED

RC Sproul Jr.'s Wife Very Sick

DomWackTroll

She is battling leukemia and in intensive care:

rcsprouljunior.blogspot.com/2011/10/judging-with-charity.html

Over on the Bayly blog, RC says, "As I witness what may be the last weeks of my beloved's life..."

baylyblog.com/2011/10/back-in-1964-my-brother-joe-went-off-to-swarthmore-on-a-rare-full-ride-national-merit-scholarship-he-was-a-philosophy-m.html

Wow. Did you guys know about this? I don't remember hearing anything about it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't know about this but don't follow Sproul Jr. Interesting that he says he's working on a PhD - thought he already had one, or said he did.

FWIW, RC Jr seems to have left or dropped off Dougie's radar in the last year - no mentions in the blog in quite a while (visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/search/default.aspx?s=Sproul+Jr).

Guest Anonymous

I've never "followed" him. But Sarah Maxwell is looking for a husband.... :idea:

Exactly I thought Sarah would be the jewel in the crown for the younger Sproul.

Is she has ALL as an adult it is devastating. (it is as a child too but the survival rate is like 84 percent for kids but onl 30 percent for adults and the chemo regimen is three years with lots of spinal taps and chemo shooters). It is sad, because I think all loss of human life this young is sad. Sadly the sprouls wouldn't allow that much compassion for others.

ligonier.org/learn/articles/hope/

Both have been diagnosed with cancer, she in '05 and him in '07.

This article by Sproul is his view of God, "gifting" some with cancer.

Nasty thinking.

edited: forgot we're suppose to breakup links

Do you people have no limits? You talk on and on about how you don't appreciate these lifestyles because the children and women are supposedly treated poorly.

Well, I can tell you one thing, every person remotely connected to the QF movement has reached out to my family with sympathy, love, and prayers. What have you offered? Snarky (appropriate to the board) comments about who my father might remarry. Greatly appreciated, I assure you. If you're trying to win converts, this is not the way to do it.

~Darby M. Sproul

“I don’t get angry with God. He doesn’t owe me anything but His wrath."

What a sad view of God...and why would God "owe" anybody wrath in the first place? :(

What a sad view of God...and why would God "owe" anybody wrath in the first place? :(

I will try to explain the Rev. Dr. Sproul's view.

See, as it happens I just finished reading that article and it resonated with me as very little of the ultra-conservative Presbyterian writings of this group does. In Christian theology, we believe that God is not pleased with us, at all. God hates sin, and we're sinners. But! God is merciful to us because Jesus Christ lived, died and rose again to pay for our sins.

When Mr. Sproul wrote that, he must have been figuring his audience to be Christians who understand the part about Jesus' sacrifice being the reason that God has set aside God's anger. I hope I've made it more clear but possibly not.

In any case, Mr. Sproul's attitude that he's not thrilled about cancer but that he accepts it philosophically is because he believes that upon death, his wife and he himself will enter a place of peace and joyfulness, on account of Jesus' love and forgiveness.

I know that at first glance (and possibly second glance through 100th glance), this can make even less sense. But as I've considered it over the many years of my life, it really is a reflection of life on Earth. Spring redeems us from the death of winter. Wildfires devastate acres but eventually are seen to have cleansed an area, and new growth almost always comes in a season. Big cats toy with and eventually kill their prey, but only as much as they and their prides need to eat.

The world is harsh but there's always redemption.

God hates sin but God also forgives us, for Jesus' sake.

I hope this helped. If not, please let me know and I'll try again ... probably by trying to find a link that 'splains it better! ;)

* I refer to the man as "Mr." instead of "the Rev. Dr." in later sentences because it's just simpler. No lack of respect is implied nor intended.

BTW, I've not been able to find the Bayly Bros blog linked above. ETA: Found it.

RC's wife battled breast cancer about 8-10 years ago.

When I worked oncology 25 years ago, during my first summer, we had four cases of leukemics who were believed to have developed it as a consequence of chemo for another cancer. I never saw a leukemia as a consequence of breast cancer treatment, however. It's always terribly sad.

Do you people have no limits? You talk on and on about how you don't appreciate these lifestyles because the children and women are supposedly treated poorly.

Well, I can tell you one thing, every person remotely connected to the QF movement has reached out to my family with sympathy, love, and prayers. What have you offered? Snarky (appropriate to the board) comments about who my father might remarry. Greatly appreciated, I assure you. If you're trying to win converts, this is not the way to do it.

~Darby M. Sproul

I've avoided this thread because I know nothing about RC Sproul and have no idea who he is. However, I am very sorry for your family's suffering. I realize that this is a very difficult time for you and your family. You have my sympathy and hopes for your mother's well being.

As far as the question about trying to win converts. No, we are not.

~Darby M. Sproul

No I dislike this movement because it would seek to harm me and my family. Wtf do you think we should offer? I certainly offered compassion, which is significantly less than the sprouls would have offered me.

Oh and I am not trying to win comments. I use satire and humor to take some of the wind out of the sails of your movement because it seeks to hurt me

~Darby M. Sproul

I'm really very sorry about your mom. You all will be in my prayers.

No I dislike this movement because it would seek to harm me and my family. Wtf do you think we should offer? I certainly offered compassion, which is significantly less than the sprouls would have offered me.

I have sympathy for the family but I HATE quiverful. It is a movement that tells women to ignore common sense, their own bodies, financial problems and doctors concerns in order to have as many children as possible. No matter how kind these families have been to the Sprouls, their mindset is ultimately doing far more harm then anything that anyone has said on this thread.

And let's consider why people are saying that RC Sproul will quickly remarry. Quiverful does not hold women in high regard. Even if a woman is told that having more children will harm her, she is encouraged to trust god with her fertility. That is a dangerous and offensive mindset. We've read blogs where women talk about barely being able to feed and clothe their children without help from their church families. Yet, despite financial problems, these women are told to have more kids. Of course, people will think that women aren't valued and are seen as interchangeable cogs.

I'm really very sorry about your mom. You all will be in my prayers.

Because I don't have any faith, I can't offer to put them in my prayers but I will send good thoughts their way.

Archived