IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 6: Virgin Drinks and Beach Pics and Expecting

GreyhoundFan

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Gil and Kelly are grifters, selfcentered and a lot of (bad) things, but in no way their personalities are similar to Jimbob and Michelle. So, even sharing the same beliefs, their output will be different too. I don't know which family is worse, but Duggars are robotic and the fact that their married children (minus maybe Jill) are still following their parents rules, makes me think that JB and Michelle were better brainwashing and controlling, which is not good. In the early videos, when Bates were pictured as fundie rednecks who visited the *superior* Duggars, they didn't look as robotic as them, and at least Gil looked affectionate with the kids. Another big difference is that Bates look genuinely proud of their children, while it always seem that Jimbob wants them to be under his thumb with cheap jobs and no degrees. I bet he would be pissed if one of his daugthers married a congressman son (as Alyssa) who is more succesful than him. Bates have several daugthers with degrees and jobs, but out of all the Duggars, only Joe went to college and it was just 1 year.

I think JBs and M’s financial success (maybe Mary and JL helped them get a more solid start) and the fact that the Duggars were the first to sell their children to the media, has allowed JB to more tightly control and limit his adult children. The G2 Bates never had their parents’ money to fall back on and therefore needed to be more independent and to some extent, educated. Gill not having money has limited his control and leverage over his adult offspring. Those adults going their own ways has also forced Gill and KJ to change their narrative along the way.

Yes, both groups have horrid beliefs, but IMO, the 2GBates are better equipped to successfully live outside the cult. Must have someone with marketable skills who is willing and does work outside the TV show. It’s a step for them-

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

I think it's also useful to remember that Gil and Kelly went to college themselves while JB Michelle didn't. I think once JB was asked why they don't push college harder for their kids and he said it was probably because neither of them went to college themselves. If Bates kids are being pushed more in that direction I'd say that despite their beliefs, the Bates parents put slightly bigger value on learning a trade/gaining an education than the Duggars do. Which is why the Bates kids and husbands all have discernible jobs, while the Duggar boys are all seeming to just work for JB and his various businesses. The latter is obviously keeping JB in a stronger position of authority over his kids vs Gil's kids who don't need to earn money from him to pay their bills. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

The Duggars were mostly cut off from Michelle’s family so it was probably easier for them to isolate. I’m not saying there was no relationship, but I doubt they visited the Ohio family more than once a year. Especially after their grandpa Ruark died. Jimmy lee was very sick near the end of his life so he probably didn’t have as much influence on the kids as Gil’s parents. And we know Mary Duggar was happy to tow the fundie line. They only had one cousin they regularly interacted with and there seemed to be some rules for Amy. The Bates kids still have mama Jane and papa Bill in their lives. Along with their Bates cousins who aren’t fundie. And then there’s Kelly's mom who is divorced and remarried. I agree with the PP that said it was easier for the Duggars to isolate themselves from mainstream influences compared to the Bates family. 

• Upvote 10

On 8/11/2019 at 11:05 AM, BeccaGrim said:

I have no idea if she's pregnant or not and I'm not speculating. I chomped ice through my pregnancies incessantly. Drove my husband crazy. Never wanted to when I wasn't....

That was the same for me. Ice ice = baby. ?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8

I read somewhere that craving/chewing ice can be a sign of anemia. It makes sense that women may be anemic during pregnancy. 

• Upvote 5

And there are crazy people who just like to eat ice and torture the rest of us.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

When I was in class the other day, my professor was loudly crunching on ice whenever other students were sharing their ideas/opinions. (I'm taking a small seminar-style class this summer). It was oddly disrespectful but hilarious at the same time because it is such a small and quiet class! ?

She's definitely not pregnant though, and was probably just doing it out of anxiety/anxiousness. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Perrierwithlemon said:

When I was in class the other day, my professor was loudly crunching on ice whenever other students were sharing their ideas/opinions. (I'm taking a small seminar-style class this summer). It was oddly disrespectful but hilarious at the same time because it is such a small and quiet class! ?

She's definitely not pregnant though, and was probably just doing it out of anxiety/anxiousness. 

I would have to drop the class.  I have misophonia and would be homicidal over that. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

Whenever I start chewing on ice my husband knows it’s time to feed me steak. I’m definitely not pregnant (and haven’t been whenever I’ve craved ice. When I was pregnant I craved dirt. Ew. I didn’t give in to that craving).

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, adidas said:

Whenever I start chewing on ice my husband knows it’s time to feed me steak. I’m definitely not pregnant (and haven’t been whenever I’ve craved ice. When I was pregnant I craved dirt. Ew. I didn’t give in to that craving).

When I was pregnant I craved toothpaste! It took all my effort not to squeeze that damn tube directly in my mouth! 

• Haha 8
  • Love 1

I wonder what Carlin does all day? I know she models for the boutique, but does she ship out orders or do anything on the website side? Does she use the degree she worked so hard for, or just spend most of the day waiting around for Evan to come home?

I'm sure once their first baby arrives (I'm assuming in 6 months or so) she'll be a full-time mom like most of her sisters but it must be boring in the meantime to transition from planning a wedding/starting a business/homeschooling your siblings/finishing college to just being a wife. 

Oh wait, I just checked her instastories- I guess she spends time working on her career as an influencer by schilling cosmetics! Like most of the other Bates women (c'mon Michael, that would be a great way to finance nursing school!)

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, indianabones said:

I'm sure once their first baby arrives (I'm assuming in 6 months or so) she'll be a full-time mom like most of her sisters but it must be boring in the meantime to transition from planning a wedding/starting a business/homeschooling your siblings/finishing college to just being a wife. 

I imagine it's a much-needed break.  This is really the first time since she was a small child that she can sit around and do nothing.  I would need to just lay around for like a year to recover from having to raise my siblings/go to college/plan a wedding/move into a new place/start a business. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 2

My guess is Carlin still has sister mom and sister aunt duties until she pops out babies of her own.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 4

New promo vid from up tv shows carlin & evan kiss and then fall into a pool with their wedding clothes on. Next shot is them swimming to eachother underwater & carlin grabbing his face and going in for a kiss..

Didnt expect carlin.. or any bates/duggar daughters to ruin their dress.. (assuming chlorine would do so)

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Ms.Pickle said:

Didnt expect carlin.. or any bates/duggar daughters to ruin their dress.. (assuming chlorine would do so

Neither do I, but why not? Nobody is going to wear the dress again.

Anyway, wedding photoshots at the beach are common and I think sand and salty water are worse for the dresses than chlorine.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Anyway, wedding photoshots at the beach are common and I think sand and salty water are worse for the dresses than chlorine.

Id picture carlin having her dress on a mannequin and her bouquet in a glass box before her jumpin in a pool fully done up

• Upvote 6

On 8/17/2019 at 3:36 PM, Melissa1977 said:

Some of us sell our wedding dresses, or save them for one of 2 dozen future daughters, or donate them to charity. Recycling.

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 5

26 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Some of us sell our wedding dresses, or save them for one of 2 dozen future daughters, or donate them to charity. Recycling.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I actually donated mine about two months after our wedding. I didn’t want it just laying around in a closet and I didn’t want to deal with lugging it around since we planned on moving eventually, so donating seemed like a good option. I found a charity called “Brides Across America” that helps military couples plan their weddings. I’m hoping another bride got to make some happy memories in our shared dress. :) 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 4

I'm a wedding photographer in a beach town. 99% of my weddings are on the beach so sand and water are a normal part. We usually try to avoid getting it wet because obviously that is not fun for the rest of the day. That being said I've done plenty of "day after" sessions on the beach where they've gotten the dress totally wet. Heck I even did a styled shoot where afterwards I put the dress in to the washing machine and hung it to try....it looks just as good as before. 

• Upvote 9

I thought about selling but decided to keep it. I loved playing dress up with my grandmothers wedding dress. Sadly she threw it away otherwise I would have had it shortened and had worn it for our civil marriage ceremony. I am truly sad about it because I have such fond memories about it- even remember how heavy the skirt was and how it rustled. If my daughter or a potential grandchild ever would like it for playing or wearing it will be there. If not, they can sell or donate it as vintage dress after I died (if the classic 2000-2009 strapless, big A-line makes a comeback).

• Upvote 1
  • Love 8

My wedding dress was a very affordable off the rack dress. It def. wasn't what I would've picked if I had a budget for a nicer dress. Anyway, Halloween is a huge deal in our neighborhood, and the house next to ours does a Frankenstein theme in their garage. When my girls hit their teens, they started wearing the dress and played the bride of Frankenstein. It got a lot of use over the years as a costume. ?

• Upvote 4
  • Love 9

I read about a Darwin award one time where the bride jumped into a pond while wearing her dress. The fabric got saturated with water, became extremely heavy, pulled the bride under, and she drowned. The photographer who was there to document the bride's "trash the dress" moment couldn't save her.

Ever since I read that story, I shudder at the thought of anyone trashing their dress in water.

• Sad 6
  • WTF 5

11 hours ago, GoddessOfVictory said:

I read about a Darwin award one time where the bride jumped into a pond while wearing her dress. The fabric got saturated with water, became extremely heavy, pulled the bride under, and she drowned. The photographer who was there to document the bride's "trash the dress" moment couldn't save her.

Ever since I read that story, I shudder at the thought of anyone trashing their dress in water.

It happened in Canada too

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/quebec-bride-drowned-while-taking-part-in-trash-the-dress-photo-shoot

I like the idea of children using a dress for play or donating the dress.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/15/2019 at 9:52 PM, rebeccawriter01 said:

I would have to drop the class.  I have misophonia and would be homicidal over that. 

:greetings-waveyellow:Hi!  I'm a fellow misophoniac (is that even a word?)  I always just thought I was crazy until I happened to stumble upon a NYT article recently.  Sucks, huh?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

So Carvan is currently in my area and it both intrigues and weirds me out that I could see them during their trip, even though the possibility is really unlikely. However, I am glad we haven’t gotten an announcement yet from them and am hoping this trip doesn’t cause an announcement in the future. 

Also on the trashing of wedding dresses, I could not imagine trashing a piece of clothing that I spent several hundred dollars on. It would just feel like I wasted my money on it if I did that. The pictures I’ve seen of dress trashing have looked like it was fun for the bride though. 

• Upvote 5

• GreyhoundFan locked, unlocked and locked this topic