IGNORED

The War On Abortion And Women's Rights

GreyhoundFan

And we all know Congress won't do anything to help with healthcare, feeding these unwanted children, or educating them.

@Destiny, that's one of the very few angry responses I've given since President Biden became president. I'm so livid with the apparent overturning of roe v Wade

that downgrading to disgust isn't strong enough.

Sorry, my phone is acting weird.

• Upvote 8

LOL angry vote me all you want. I give zero fucks about my meaningless internet points. ;)

This could get really fucking messy if the House and Senate falls in the midterms and passes a national ban like some of them are starting to put together.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 14

I am so heavy-hearted about this. Abortion is not the black-and-white issue that the pro-life movement wants to think, and this is going to force so many women to suffer.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 24

39 minutes ago, molecule said:

I am so heavy-hearted about this. Abortion is not the black-and-white issue that the pro-life movement wants to think, and this is going to force so many women to suffer.

This is all about controlling women.  In that sense it's very black and white to these scum bags.

Edited by Anne Of Gray Gables
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 17

This is all about controlling women.  In that sense it's very black and wife to these scum bags.

Very much this. If they actually gave a fuck about babies, they’d want to pay for food, clothing, housing, healthcare, and education for them. This is about controlling women, not babies.
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 19

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b3c7dec6c857035bd94d9249d3af448d.png

Griswold is also at risk:

Griswold v. Connecticut (1965)

Griswold v. Connecticut (1965) was a Supreme Court case that famously inferred that a right to privacy existed within the Constitution, which does not explicitly exist in the document. The case was over a Connecticut law that banned the use of any contraception for married couples which received multiple legal challenges prior to this case. The Supreme Court in a 7-2 decision overruled the law as an invasion of the right to privacy, specifically marital right to privacy. The case played a major role in later Supreme Court cases to expand the right of privacy such as to other uses of contraception, abortion, and LGBTQ rights. 

The majority opinion written by Justice William Douglas reasoned that many inexplicit rights exist within the Constitution that flow from the “emanations” of other explicitly granted protections. By broadly interpreting the first, third, fourth, and fifth amendments, the majority found contraception to be an inexplicit protected right of privacy similarly to the protected right for parents to decide how to raise their children as noted in Meyer v. Nebraska. The majority limited this discussion to the right of privacy within a marriage, arguing that privacy within parts of marriage is an understood right existing long before the Constitution.

A few notable concurrences and dissents existed in the case. Justice Arthur Goldberg argued the ninth amendment gave the court the justification in protecting unenumerated rights like certain rights to privacy. As he does in other opinions, Justice Marshall Harlan II contended that the right to privacy existed as part of substantive due process within the fourteenth amendment. Justices Hugo Black and Potter Stewart both dissented on the grounds that, while personally they found the law to be senseless, they could not find that the Constitution in any way directly created a right to privacy in these circumstances. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 9

I swear living in some of those States I would like my gender changed to incubator, even though I will never be pregnant (already hit menopause with no pregnancies). I'm heartbroken though all of my female former students who will now have to contend with the concern about an unwanted pregnancy. Will we go back to tansy tea? Slippery elm?

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, Destiny said:

LOL angry vote me all you want. I give zero fucks about my meaningless internet points. ;)

This could get really fucking messy if the House and Senate falls in the midterms and passes a national ban like some of them are starting to put together.

I've seen some suggestion that the outrage of this will tilt November toward the Democrats.  There must be some otherwise-swing voters who are horrified by this?  Can only hope.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

As a young childfree-by-choice woman, I am shaking! How could this happen?! What happened to all the people who said this day would never come, that they would never really try to do this??? I'm scared! 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 16

I am so glad I saw this coming and got sterilized in March.  I am so upset for all of the women I know who want children or can't find a doctor to sterilize them who will suffer under this. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 4

I'm mad as hell, especially at my former church (Catholicism). After all most of the people making this decision are Catholic! They have gunning for this since the '70s. They act like this is the only issue that matters. And of course they are celibate men making decisions for the rest of us!

The Catholics I know are all super priviledged fuckers who think bigger families are beautiful and a few more mouths to feed isn't a big deal. One of my hard anti-abortion nut job Catholic acquaintances is having an unplanned pregnancy and it's okay, because they're moving to a huge fancy new house and she can continue to stay at home! They have a big family, what's one more? If they can do it, so can everyone else! The church is for people like her.

I'm so godd**n tired of people acting like Catholicism is a nice religion instead of a restrictive cult!

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 8

This is a power grab. If they truly cared about abortions they’d realize they’re not banning abortions, they’re banning safe abortions. People will still get abortions and they will die needlessly. Those who can’t abort will deal with all the things previously mentioned here. Abortion should be between no one but the one who’s pregnant and their medical provider. That’s it! 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 9

15 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

so godd**n tired of people acting like Catholicism is a nice religion instead of a restrictive cult!

In my opinion, all religions are cults. All of them prescribe what to do, how to act, what to think-- and sometimes even what to wear.

Faith is something different. That's a personal belief, which everyone is entitled to. But once you start telling others that your belief is the only right belief and they should also believe that, and anyone who doesn't believe the same thing is wrong, then you're crossing a line. Judging others for what they believe is completely and utterly wrong, and lies at the root of all that's bad in the world.

It's no secret I'm an atheist. But I won't judge* anyone for what they choose to believe, whom they love, which gender they have or which ancestry. Every one of us is a fellow human being who deserves just as much dignity and respect as any one else. To each their own. 

*Please note that judgment is not the same as having an opinion. Everyone has a right to those, of course!

Edited by fraurosena
Phone typo
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 10

18 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

This is a power grab. If they truly cared about abortions they’d realize they’re not banning abortions, they’re banning safe abortions. People will still get abortions and they will die needlessly. Those who can’t abort will deal with all the things previously mentioned here. Abortion should be between no one but the one who’s pregnant and their medical provider. That’s it! 

The cruelty is the point.  As long as, in their minds, the "right people" are the ones getting hurt, they're pleased as punch.  After all, their wives/daughters/mistresses will still be able to access abortion when they need one, with a quick flight out of the country and back.

I would like to offer a hearty EAT SHIT and FUCK YOU to all the people who told me over the years I was silly to worry about this happening, that it was all political theater and Republicans would never actually do this, they needed the issue to remain in order to drum up votes, it will never happen, conservative justices have principles and respect precedent, calm doooooown.

Edited by dramallama
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 10

Fuck, fuck, fuck Thomas should have been kicked off, and frat boy and Amy don't belong on the court. Fucking hell.  I'm so angry. I fear for this country. I'm ready for my state to become part of the United States of Canada.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7

I saw this and think it‘s pretty accurate 

Edited by Smash!
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

I am so depressed. How do we stop this? I feel like we are living in some fictional world. How is this happening? I could call my senators, but Tillis and Burr literally do not care. I would like to think this will motivate democrats to vote like crazy, but as a group they seem to be wishy-washy. 

We never actually fixed any of the problems in America. It may have looked like we have been progressing, but the evil has been there growing the entire time. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 11

10 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I would like to think this will motivate democrats to vote like crazy, but as a group they seem to be wishy-washy.

Reminder that gerrymandering to ensure R majorities for decades and the anti-democratic Electoral College are things deserving more blame than individual voters here.  If I could have voted for Clinton literally 400,000 times in 2016 it wouldn't have changed the outcome at all because of the state I live in and the Electoral College.  The Congressional districts in MANY states are also drawn in such a way as to maximize Republican seats and make it virtually impossible to vote otherwise, as well as state seat districts drawn to guarantee Republican super-majorities at all times.  America is not a democracy and people who feel like "my vote doesn't even matter" are not entirely wrong.  And that doesn't even get into voter suppression efforts.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 11

image.png.fd7223c00bbfecde774c0e7468b7fbfa.png

• Upvote 14

And this is how women die. By suicide, by ill health, by complications of pregnancy, by partner abuse, by parental abuse, by self-induced abortions. But who cares, because the babies, except that they're born into bad situations, have medical conditions that mean suffering, and are abused, starved, and undereducated because the same people who want to force women to have babies won't lift a finger to actually make sure those babies thrive. 

I keep wanting to apologize to my infant daughter today, but it's the ones who view her as no more than an incubator that need to apologize. And they won't, because that means acknowledging her as a person in her own right.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 14

Well. This is what we get when we have Democrats who respect institutional tradition more than women and refuse to pack the court. They have refused to protect us. We sit and do nothing while the Republicans play dirty and suddenly we have no rights anymore. 

They are going after the right to privacy itself. That means no more right to birth control, no more right to same-sex marriage, no more right to have any particular kind of sex (or sex at all), no more right to teach your children a language other than English at home, basically no right to keep the government from controlling your home and body and the most private of decisions. Everything fundies want. 

Unless something changes this is the beginning of totalitarian dystopia, American Taliban style. The right has never cared about freedom and limited government. That was just doublespeak until they could get what they really wanted: essentially fascist theocracy. 

• Upvote 13
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 3

9 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

After all most of the people making this decision are Catholic! They have gunning for this since the '70s. They act like this is the only issue that matters. And of course they are celibate men making decisions for the rest of us!

I have to say I think there is Opus Dei influence in all of this. 

Interestingly, the Catholics on the Supreme Court all have very small families.  You can't have that many small families without practicing some form of barrier or chemical birth control; NFP isn't consistently reliable. 

• Brett Kavanaugh? Two.
  • Chief Justice Roberts? Two
  • Alito? Two
  • Neil Gorsuch? Two
  • Clarence Thomas? One son w/ first wife.  
  • Amy Coney Barrett?  Six

We know from fundies who let God dictate the size of their families that these folks should have, ballpark, between 8 and 15 kids...each. 

The only Catholic SC justice to really crank out the kids was Scalia, who had nine kids. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 13

15 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

And this is how women die. By suicide, by ill health, by complications of pregnancy, by partner abuse, by parental abuse, by self-induced abortions.

I would 100% prefer to kill myself rather than go through pregnancy and birth if I had no access to abortion.  Fortunately I'm sterilized now, but I know I'm not alone in that feeling.  I think we're also going to be finding a lot more newborns abandoned in dumpsters.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 10

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic