IGNORED

The War On Abortion And Women's Rights

GreyhoundFan

16 minutes ago, dramallama said:

My god the Democrats are going to look like the biggest idiots ever if they've been trying to remove the filibuster while being thwarted by Manchin and Sinema, and then McConnell pulls off something like THAT?  JFC.

I could be wrong, but I'm going back and forth between a few things here for work, so double check me. It's referred to as the nuclear option for the filibuster and I'm about 80% sure that one of the Trump nominees they used it for. I want to say it was Gorsuch but I could be remembering wrong.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I could be wrong, but I'm going back and forth between a few things here for work, so double check me. It's referred to as the nuclear option for the filibuster and I'm about 80% sure that one of the Trump nominees they used it for. I want to say it was Gorsuch but I could be remembering wrong.

I know they got rid of the filibuster for judicial nominees and I believe that is still dead.  There's a separate legislative filibuster though that is currently the topic of contention, either party could rid the Senate of that with enough votes, so I guess my question is the ability to reinstate it after removing it?  Because Rs don't want to get rid of the legislative filibuster because doing so would allow Dems to pass laws when they have control of the Senate, but if they could remove it for themselves and then reinstate it before Dems regain Senate control, I can't see them skipping that kind of opportunity.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, Destiny said:

As I understand it? Not a fucking thing. IIRC, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, similar things have happened in the past. I want to say one of Trump's SCOTUS nominees had it happen, but I'm blanking on which one right now.

They will go full scorched earth if they win the mid terms. Nothing hold them back, especially since so many of them supported a angry mob breaking into the capital to murder democrats and nothing has happened to them. 

These old school democrats need to wake up and realize the world has changed. America is going to burn to the ground if they don't aggressively pursue punishing corrupt politicians and protecting democracy. 

I'm so angry and I feel helpless. What can normal, every day people do to stop the war machine the GOP created? 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

10 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I'm so angry and I feel helpless. What can normal, every day people do to stop the war machine the GOP created? 

This is 100% exactly how I feel. I'm only one small, angry person. My voice means nothing, so what the fuck do I do?

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

The only thing I can figure to do is get a passport finally, just in case there's a sudden need to flee.  That thought is terrifying but idk what else to do.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

19 minutes ago, Destiny said:

This is 100% exactly how I feel. I'm only one small, angry person. My voice means nothing, so what the fuck do I do?

The GOP doesn't care about protests. If democrats riots they will get shot and/or immediately tossed in jail. I guess boycotting companies that fund the GOP might do a tiny something, but this moment right here has been in the planning for decades. I feel like we lost the battle for freedom a long time ago, we just didn't see it. This is a well orchestrated attack and more liberal people are just floundering. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

20 minutes ago, dramallama said:

The only thing I can figure to do is get a passport finally, just in case there's a sudden need to flee.  That thought is terrifying but idk what else to do.

I have kept my passport up for this exact reason. It's terrifying, but I figured it was worth the money.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

The GOP doesn't care about protests. If democrats riots they will get shot and/or immediately tossed in jail. I guess boycotting companies that fund the GOP might do a tiny something, but this moment right here has been in the planning for decades. I feel like we lost the battle for freedom a long time ago, we just didn't see it. This is a well orchestrated attack and more liberal people are just floundering. 

In my more depressive moments (which this week has been full of so far!) I feel like maybe we're just too far gone and it's going to have to hit rock bottom before it can start to meaningfully turn around, and hoping I don't live to see the worst of it.  I know the accelerationists think we should just let it all burn so it can be rebuilt but I do NOT want that, so many people are currently suffering and it's only going to get worse, and I for one do not have the faith that what rises from the ashes will necessarily be good....that the American people won't just turn to full-throated Nazism at that point instead of building some kind of social democracy eutopia. 

Everything is very depressing.

• Upvote 4

Love and Rufus' blessings to all of you! 🦌

Please, don't despair. Yes, you may be one little voice. But you are not alone! There are much more voices like yours than there are like theirs. Together you are the majority. There is so much you can achieve, together.

Vote like your very lives depend on it-- because they do. Protest like never before, flood the streets in a women's march that will put the march from 2016 to shame. If push comes to shove, stay in the streets and watch the economy implode--- hitting them where it hurts the most: their pockets. 

Together, you have so much power. Together, you will be able to stop this slide into an authoritarian theocracy from happening.

And don't believe the Republicans have the power to simply shoot protesters or throw them in jail. The police and military are not all Republicans and won't automatically all follow those orders.

Edited by fraurosena
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 8

In general I think we should get rid of the filibuster because it has completely changed and it's no longer only used as a last resort. Instead it's used to deny us majority rule and hold any legislation hostage to a minority.  

I get that people are worried about it giving Republicans more power, should they take the Senate. But once the Republicans take power I fully expect them to get rid of the filibuster anyway so they can implement their agenda. They could care less about restraint and tradition, or even coherent Senate rules, as McConnell showed with his Supreme Court appointments. 

Additionally, if the Democrats get rid of the filibuster and codify Roe, they can then campaign on that. Not only on the fact that they did something, but that we better reelect them because if we don't Republicans will take it away. 

Then there are additional things they could do to consolidate power, like making DC a state. That would add 2 Dem Senators for people who are lacking proper representation and don't have it now because Republicans don't want them to. 

But the Dems won't do it because Manchin and Synema are barely Dems and don't actually want most Democratic legislation to pass. And with no filibuster they won't have any excuse for that. 

In the long term, I think we need to be working on a constitutional amendment for a right to privacy.  In the shorter term, we can create networks to help people still get abortion care. If you live in a state that's unlikely to be affected, perhaps you could host someone who needs a place to stay during their abortion. If you live in a state where it will be outlawed (or already is), network with people you know to get pregnant people out of state for treatment, or spread information about Plan C. Tell the young people you know that you will help them as much as you can. Educate yourself about Long-Acting Reversible Contraceptives and how to get them or help people get them. There is a lot we can still do. 

• Upvote 10

Yes.  Get sterilized, get an IUD or Implanon if possible, you can order medical abortion kits at aidaccess.org even if you're not pregnant and stash them in the back of your linen closet for just-in-case, for yourself or friends/family who may need them.  I'm letting all of my friends and family know that rides to the nearest blue state are on me. 

image.thumb.png.4f8f8c9015f0c3772baaf1cf37d03e9a.png

Edited by dramallama
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 6

My gyno was telling me there's evidence to suggest Mirena (hormonal IUD) might be effective as long as it's in. Right now it's recommended for 7 years, upgraded not too long ago from 5 years, but it's possible the FDA could extend the recommendation again. 

I'm a big fan of mine, and I think it's a good option if you know you don't want kids right now but want to keep the door open in the future. 

Incidentally I got mine shortly after trump was elected in case he successfully rolled back the birth control part of the ACA.

Edited by TuringMachine
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

19 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

My gyno was telling me there's evidence to suggest Mirena (hormonal IUD) might be effective as long as it's in. Right now it's recommended for 7 years, upgraded not too long ago from 5 years, but it's possible the FDA could extend the recommendation again. 

Mine recently told me the same thing. I’m 36 and just had my third Mirena inserted so I’m good for another 7 years! 

• Upvote 2

My concern with IUDs (as well as the pill, shot, implant, etc) is that all of the big anti-abortion groups pushing for this have been waging a campaign for years to change the definition of abortion from "ending an established pregnancy" to "anything that COULD THEORETICALLY influence a fertilized egg to NOT implant in a uterus".  Like even if Griswold doesn't get overturned anytime soon, I see them trying to get all of the most effective reversible methods outlawed under their "life begins at the moment of conception" clauses in most of these bans. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 5

6 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I could see a challenge to Loving at least getting to the court and I wouldn’t trust Thomas, Beer Bong, Alito, or Handmaiden to uphold it or anything else at this point.  Hell for the right amount in bribe money they’d overturn any previous decision made. 

I won't be surprised if someone decides to challenge Loving super soon - not with any intention of having it reversed, but to force the court to face the long-term result of the direction they are headed head on, before they are ready to do so. It's one thing that will hit the justices directly. Abortion? Not affecting them directly. Birth control? Same thing. Gay rights? None of them are gay (that they admit, at least). 

But one of them is in an interracial marriage, and one has an interracial family. A challenge to Loving would punch them right in the gut and hopefully make them actually think for a moment.

2 hours ago, dramallama said:

I need to get mine renewed ASAP. Just in case. 

4 minutes ago, dramallama said:

Like even if Griswold doesn't get overturned anytime soon, I see them trying to get all of the most effective reversible methods outlawed under their "life begins at the moment of conception" clauses in most of these bans. 

I really hope that if "life begins at the moment of conception" (which is not biblical, in my understanding) becomes the law, then "child support begins at the moment of conception" becomes law as well. 

They should, since they are intent on forcing women to carry all pregnancies to term, also have universal healthcare for pregnant women and infants. But that would help already born people, not just fetuses, so I guess no dice there. 

I think some of our billionaires ought to back off on the space tourism for a minute and work on some sort of artificial womb that embryos can be transferred into. Then the fetuses can be helped and coddled without having to involve any already born people at all against their will, past the conception. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, Destiny said:

And a man is screaming over her while she's trying to talk. That's super on brand! I love her. She was my first choice for president with with an either Booker or Harris VP. I got half of what I wanted anyway.

I feel so helpless. I'm going to protest, obviously, but there's not a hell of a lot else I can do. All of my reps are just as pissed off as I am, so calling them and screaming DO SOMETHING is pointless, Congress isn't going to do jackshit because it's mired in fuckery (and honestly I do understand some Dems' point about the danger of getting rid of the filibuster). I know people are going to suffer and die, and I can't think of a fucking thing to actually DO*.

*I am aware of the abortion fund donation option and have sent what I can, but that hasn't done a fucking thing to assuage the anger and helplessness that I feel.

My dream ticket for 2020 was Elizabeth Warren for president and Pete Buttigieg as VP. Sadly, there’s no way that ticket would have ever gotten elected. 

I hear you about feeling unable to actually do something, especially because I’m so angry about this situation and terrified for the future. I would love to move abroad, but that’s not likely to happen. I’m a straight white woman in my mid 50s, so I won’t be needing an abortion in the future, but I fear this is going to empower repugs to further legislate my body. I’m also worried for the other groups the repugs are gunning for, like LGBQ people. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

Love Amy!  She and Corey Booker was my dream ticket.

Screenshot_20220504-141509_Facebook.jpg

Edited by SPHASH
  • Upvote 14

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I’m also worried for the other groups the repugs are gunning for, like LGBQ people. 

I know. Tweets like these have me vacillating back and forth between sadness and rage:

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 10

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

They should, since they are intent on forcing women to carry all pregnancies to term, also have universal healthcare for pregnant women and infants.

This morning an asshat jackwagon antiabortion state representative from Oklahoma who had co-authored OK's draconian anti abortion law was being interviewed on the NPR station.   When the interviewer asked if he thought that there should be financial and other support for women who are basically forced to have children, he said no, don't get pregnant if you don't want kids.  Should there be free access to all forms of contraception? Again, NO, because "contraception is already widely available".  

So, we have to ask ourselves, Could it be worse.  Why yes, yes it can!  

Unroll of thread by @nondoodles:  

[Interrupts beautiful tropical vacation to share the following:] A handful of men in adtech are planning to get rich off selling the data of any woman attempting to secure an abortion directly to law enforcement.

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 2
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 5

Someone on twitter was advising women to delete natural family planning apps since that data could be evidence. I've never trusted the apps myself. Justice Alito is basing his opinion on 17th century British justice who used to execute women for being witches.

"Witchhunter" sound too cool we need a nickname for this asshole.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2

I don't know what I would do without an app to remind me when my period is approaching.  I'm too scattered to remember to write it down on a calendar and remember to count days and figure out my average cycle length on my own and blah blah blah....so I'll keep using mine.  But I've been sterilized so I'm not concerned; it's horrifying that so many women who use these apps now have to worry about this.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

It‘s not too late. Biden‘s still president. Midterm elections aren‘t here yet. It‘s crucial the Democrat‘s keep the majority of the house and senate. Donate to candidates. Help to register voters. Join Democrats abroad and provide information on how to vote to expats. Tell everyone you know that the midterms are fucking important. More important than the election in 2020. The GQP want you to feel hopeless. It‘s not. ❤️

13 minutes ago, dramallama said:

I don't know what I would do without an app to remind me when my period is approaching.  I'm too scattered to remember to write it down on a calendar and remember to count days and figure out my average cycle length on my own and blah blah blah....so I'll keep using mine.  But I've been sterilized so I'm not concerned; it's horrifying that so many women who use these apps now have to worry about this.

There are somewhat safe ones in that they don’t share data with Zuckerberg & Co 

I used Flo and spent several hours today to manually extract all the information into a Excel sheet. Since I have no periods due to contraception luckily I don‘t have to think about alternatives.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

edit-- posted in haste and saw the info is already here.  sorry about that

Edited by Magenta

'We can't wait on the Supreme Court': In Louisiana, abortion could become a crime of murder

A Louisiana legislative committee on Wednesday advanced a bill to make abortion a crime of homicide in which the mother or those assisting her in terminating the pregnancy can be charged.

The measure cleared the House Appropriations Committee on a 7-2 vote despite at least one of the representatives voting in favor acknowledging the bill is unconstitutional.

Rep. Danny McCormick said his House Bill 813 should move forward even though the U.S. Supreme Court seems poised to overturn Roe v. Wade that guarantees abortion rights as soon as June, according to an opinion leaked from the high court this week.

"We can't wait on the Supreme Court," said McCormick, a Republican from Oil City.

McCormick's bill says the unborn should be protected at fertilization.

He said the Rev. Brian Gunter of First Baptist Church in Livingston helped author the bill.

"No compromises; no more waiting," Gunter said. "The bloodshed in our land is so great we have a duty ... to protect the least of these among us."

Bradley Pierce of the Foundation to Abolish Abortion said state legislatures have the right to ignore the U.S. Supreme Court if they disagree with any high court decision.

"If the Supreme Court ignores the (U.S.) Constitution, you should ignore the court," Pierce said. "The Legislature has the right to disregard the Supreme Court."

Opponents argued the bill would not only put the mother and doctor at risk of murder prosecution but criminalize in vitro fertilization and perhaps some forms of birth control.

Ellie Schilling, an abortion rights attorney, said the bill would "annihilate" the Constitution. 

Republican Prairieville Rep. Tony Bacala voted for the bill even though he agreed it "won't pass (constitutional) muster."

The measure now goes to the full House for debate.

The full text of House Bill 813 can be found here.

• Disgust 4
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 7

12 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

"McCormick's bill says the unborn should be protected at fertilization."

"Opponents argued the bill would not only put the mother and doctor at risk of murder prosecution but criminalize in vitro fertilization and perhaps some forms of birth control."

Yup.  Like I said.  Pill, patch, ring, shot, implant, IUDs, emergency contraceptives (Plan B, Ella) - this targets all of those.

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic