IGNORED

The War On Abortion And Women's Rights

GreyhoundFan

Are any of the popular fundies expressing their glee publicly yet, or are they waiting for this ruling to be official?

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Howl said:

don't get pregnant if you don't want kids.

Would he whinge and be all incel if women refused to sleep with him? Would he whinge if forced to pay child support from conception? Yes, yes he would.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

19 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

Some of these Republicans are so ridiculous that I can almost see them having a female inspection booth like the ag inspection booths going into California and asking females to get out of the car and pee on a stick so the state knows if they're pregnant or not.

Really I don't know what they would have done with me since I could not have imagined using an app to track my period.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 9

I am still utterly gobsmacked at the database of menstrual cycles. What. The. Hell.

Surely if this is medical it should come under the privacy legislation?  

I cannot get over the same people who complained because being asked to wear a fucking mask to protect others was a violation of their autonomy are now right up in people's uteruses, demanding their will be enforced. 

I cannot get over the same people who are piously claiming that all life is sacred also refusing to take the basic measures to support those lives once born, and to prevent conception.

Frankly I hope all the justices who are involved in this opinion are forced to donate a kidney, part of their liver and an eye. Fuck them.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

xxx

(Posted by accident)

Edited by samurai_sarah

6 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

How the fuck is this info not protected under HIPAA?  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

More then ever I feel lucky to live in a country where I have a choice. And is all about control. If they want to lower the numbers of abortions, educate your kids, give them acces to anticonceptie, and give options in case of..., like healthcare,  housing,  opportunities. Unwanted pregnancies don't dissappear if you ban abortions.

Edited by Workingmom
Hit the button too soon
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, Destiny said:

I have kept my passport up for this exact reason. It's terrifying, but I figured it was worth the money.

My passport is up to date as well. Has been since 2016. I may or may not road trip this summer to various border crossings, just to sightsee of course. My Canadian colleague told me they are considering leaving. I asked them to bring me with them...I never realized "The Handmaid's Tale" was a blueprint. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

On 5/16/2019 at 5:38 PM, formergothardite said:

I'm afraid that the only way to turn the tide is for women to start dying and the news to be filled with young girls being forced to be pregnant. 

My fear is that even such tragedies would not persuade Republicans to agree to any changes to their abortion ban. They want the ban and they are willing to fight tooth and nail for it, no matter the consequences for women. 

The thing is: Women die every day because they don't have safe access to abortions, one only needs to look over the (US) border. Women die in Poland, in El Salvador and other countries in central and South America, and sometimes women are incarcerated for literal decades for having miscarriages...

Did the Catholic church express any care or remorse after women have passed away in Poland due to blood poisoning because (wanted) pregnancies ended in miscarriages and doctors were too afraid to help so that a fatal sepsis was the result? No, cause they don't give a fuck. Can we expect US-republicans to care if women die either due to unsafe abortions or cause doctors refuse to help, e.g. when they miscarry? No, to them, only the lives of white, Christian, conservative cis-men matter. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

Feels like I’m screaming into the void because a) you guys all KNOW this is not logical, humane, fair or moral in any way, and that the right’s arguments fall apart under mild scrutiny, so who am I gonna convince? And b) I’m in another country with no ability to have even the tiniest say in what the US does.

But still. I will scream. I will scream and cry for the women whose lives will be ruined or perhaps ended because privileged men can never stop seeking more control.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

image.thumb.png.9981f85218352af93cf3265176c7a8f0.png

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I think we only understand why they are overturning Roe vs. Wade when we look at the bigger picture. Their goal is a fascist theocracy. As much as I get the anger at abortion bans in the end it will be just a puzzle piece. The more people understand that in the end free speech, privacy and everything we took for granted in the Western world is at stake in the US, the better.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 8

Saw this yesterday on Insta and must say, I gotta agree with the perspective. Of course, as @Smash! rightly pointed out, there’s a bigger picture to the abortion ban, but this definitely plays into it and seems to be an “easy” first step. 

24DEA128-8AC1-4A5B-8667-A204F75B9E28.jpeg

• Upvote 11

I stated wondering something this morning. I live in a suburban area, within an hour of several hospitals, and I had the thought of whether they would be setting up sepsis wards eventually. Given how often hospitals had them before Roe v. Wade, it might be inescapable if the Republican legislature in my state has its way; right now the only thing standing between them and a total ban, including potentially on exceptions for the life of the mother, is a Democratic governor. The truly horrifying follow-on thoughts, for me, are first whether the poor patients will just be housed on obstetric floors because of space and access to OBs and thereby compound everyone's trauma. The second? That one of those hospitals for which it might be necessary to have people who can at least triage if not treat botched abortions and septic pregnancies is a children's hospital

But there will be no unfortunate consequences to banning abortion, right? /s

• Upvote 10

Do you know of any meaningful way for people in Europe to help? I want to do something, anything. This is all so terrifying. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 7

13 minutes ago, Exchange Atheist said:

Do you know of any meaningful way for people in Europe to help? I want to do something, anything. This is all so terrifying. 

Thank you for thinking of us. 

Even though my days are long gone to get pregnant (plus I had a hysterectomy), I fear what else will follow. I have gay friends who are married, I have a best friend who's husband is African American..... where will this stop? 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 11

11 minutes ago, Exchange Atheist said:

I am in a local facebook group with lots of expats. For the midterms four years ago they recommended to talk to the US expats we know personally and tell them how important it is to vote and give them the information how to register to vote/make them aware of voting deadlines (no matter how they vote). You can also get active with Democrats abroad.

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 6

57 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Thank you for thinking of us. 

Even though my days are long gone to get pregnant (plus I had a hysterectomy), I fear what else will follow. I have gay friends who are married, I have a best friend who's husband is African American..... where will this stop? 

I also have a close friend whose husband is African American, and a friend of mine and her future wife are six months out from their wedding. I have to say if I was in their situation I might be headed to a courthouse soonish to get the legal stuff done ahead of time. Just in case things change before the scheduled wedding day.

So far none of the potential fallout of this affects me directly, but I still worry. I have a friend with a nearly 14-year-old daughter. I have multiple friends who, due to chronic illnesses, really should not under any circumstances get pregnant. I have gay friends and aquaintances who now worry if they might lose the right to marry, or worse. And frankly, nobody ought to have to worry about any of this stuff that is not anyone else's business.

I'm still mind blown that the "keep the government out of my gun cabinet" and "no homeschool regulation, that's overreach!" people are the ones who are supporting the government regulating peoples' bodies, relationships, and ultimately what they do in their bedroom. How are the "the government has no business regulating what I teach my kid/what guns I own/what I do in my home" people ok with the right to privacy being on the verge of being overturned? 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I'm still mind blown that the "keep the government out of my gun cabinet" and "no homeschool regulation, that's overreach!" people are the ones who are supporting the government regulating peoples' bodies, relationships, and ultimately what they do in their bedroom. How are the "the government has no business regulating what I teach my kid/what guns I own/what I do in my home" people ok with the right to privacy being on the verge of being overturned? 

And don't forget masks and vaccines! 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 7

28 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

And don't forget masks and vaccines! 

Yep! The government has no right to ask you to wear a piece of cloth on your face for 20 minutes in a store, but they can force you to carry a pregnancy for 9 months!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 9

2 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Yep! The government has no right to ask you to wear a piece of cloth on your face for 20 minutes in a store, but they can force you to carry a pregnancy for 9 months!

But... abortion is murder.... so is not wearing a mask and spreading Covid that could kill someone, mainly pre-vaccine. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic