IGNORED

The War On Abortion And Women's Rights

GreyhoundFan

1 hour ago, lumpentheologie said:

I mean the Republicans are so openly evil that I consider it kind of useless to blame them at this point. They're like a force of nature. Nothing we say or do is going to change their behavior.

IMO, Republicans are wolves, and we are the sheep. The Democrats have tried to position themselves as shepherds to protect us from Republican predation, and when the sheep get eaten, it's the shepherd you take to task, not the wolves.

One of the problems with Democrats is they keep blaming the Republicans for being wolves and expecting that to change something, even though they have shown themselves to be wolves since at least 2010. 

(Just to be clear, I'm talking about politicians here, not your average voter.)

I can see that, but I still prefer to blame the group actually perpetuating the atrocities.

• Upvote 3

I am a perpetual font of indignant rage.  I have plenty to go around. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

16 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

They will just vote against any type of social services and vote for the people who are against them. Its not their fault, and here I am quoting a disgusting comment I saw, that women can't keep their "legs closed". 

But won’t that make their own environment in the word’s of Trump, “a  shit hole”? How do they sidestep that outcome?

Forcing people who cant afford babies to have babies means someone is going to have to pay for all these babies. And if the state’s rights screamers do not understand that this will fall on the citizens of those STATES, and that perhaps no federal funds will be put forward, they need to think again. 

Those cheering need to think of this from beginning to ending point.

I imagine the same words of “leave it to the churches to meet needs” will be hurled. Sure thing, didn’t happen then, won’t happen now.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

But won’t that make their own environment in the word’s of Trump, “a  shit hole”? How do they sidestep that outcome?

Forcing people who cant afford babies to have babies means someone is going to have to pay for all these babies. And if the state’s rights screamers do not understand that this will fall on the citizens of those STATES, and that perhaps no federal funds will be put forward, they need to think again. 

I imagine the same words of “leave it to the churches to meet needs” will be hurled. Sure thing, didn’t happen then, won’t happen now.

It's totally not a long term strategy. It's about the current crop of politicians who want to hold on to power at any and all cost. They don't give a shit about what happens after them.

• Upvote 7

9 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

God will provide for them, because they certainly won't. Unless, there is the opportunity for saving someone. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Children starving, education dwindling to nothing, businesses leaving the state, educated people leaving the state, babies thrown in dumpsters, women unable to work at all from having too many babies and no medical care, men slaving away to barely support their big families they didn't really want... 

And their representatives still refusing to do anything statewide or federally to help because they should have kept their legs shut, and also brown people might get help and that's no bueno. Better to let the poors of all races suffer than risk a dark-skinned person get some assistance they might not have properly groveled for. 

So pro life!

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

That’s what I don’t understand. Where is the fiscal conservatism and protection of life in this approach? Why would red states want more people who can not put into the coffers? How and where will they hide all of those who are adversely affected? Won’t their religious constituents get tired of traversing the places the unfortunates dwell in order to get to their jobs, restaurants and fancy mega churches?

ETA- OR GOD FORBID, THEY HAVE TO PUT MORE $$$$$$$$$$$$ into the coffers to support the whole shebang!

It's not about making sure that all human life has a basic level of dignity. The more children we have especially to mothers who are not emotionally and financially prepared to raise them, the more workers we will have especially at the service level. That's a wonderful excuse to keep wages love since with more babies being born you could have more people applying to each job at McDonald's, for example.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

Someone I know had an abortion years ago. She’s somewhat vocal about it & has lost a few friends because of her decision. She hasn’t regretted it even once. She was not in a place financially or emotionally to have a child & honestly she really isn’t now & she’s 41 years old. 

• Upvote 4

A reminder to donate to your local abortion fund instead of a national org like Planned Parenthood or NARAL! I will help anyone find their local fund if they need it. 💞

I’m not surprised but as a person who volunteers in the repro justice community and spends many hours talking to people seeking abortions, my heart hurts. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

Someone I know had an abortion years ago. She’s somewhat vocal about it & has lost a few friends because of her decision. She hasn’t regretted it even once. She was not in a place financially or emotionally to have a child & honestly she really isn’t now & she’s 41 years old. 

About half the women in my life - friends, sister, aunts - have had abortions. Most don't talk about it to people they are not close to.  I don't know that any of them regretted their choice. 

I read that a legislators in one of the states that is poised to ban abortion as soon Row is overturned wanted to be sure that women with ectopic pregnancies should not be allowed to remove them.  In other words, they should just die.

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 3
  • WTF 9

10 minutes ago, Anne Of Gray Gables said:

About half the women in my life - friends, sister, aunts - have had abortions. Most don't talk about it to people they are not close to.  I don't know that any of them regretted their choice. 

I read that a legislators in one of the states that is poised to ban abortion as soon Row is overturned wanted to be sure that women with ectopic pregnancies should not be allowed to remove them.  In other words, they should just die.

I saw that and it is vile. 

• WTF 1
  • I Agree 6

Forcing people who cant afford babies to have babies means someone is going to have to pay for all these babies.

No. The babies and their mothers will be living in the streets and under the bridges. It will be like in other countries with no social nets. 

Keep them poor and they won‘t have the energy to vote, especially if you make it as hard as possible for them to do it.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

I'll never understand why anyone thinks the government should be able to override what a person and their doctor thinks is the best medical treatment / procedure they should receive. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 7

Just now, TuringMachine said:

I'll never understand why anyone thinks the government should be able to override what a person and their doctor thinks is the best medical treatment / procedure they should receive. 

It is also foisting your religious viewpoint on people who might think differently.  

• I Agree 10

They won’t stop until they create a world where women and minorities have zero chance to become president. Obama winning really sent these people over the edge. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

1 minute ago, TuringMachine said:

Especially when those VERY SAME PEOPLE are the ones who think the government should have no say whatsoever in how or whether you educate your children, what kinds of guns you own, and how you store those guns properly. 

Imagine if the government mandated prayer in school, and a muslim teacher took them at their word and prayed in front of the students? 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

The only ray of hope in all of this is a commenter on Twitter who noted that Roberts "may not" sign off on this draft statement. 

I'm not holding my breath. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Especially when those VERY SAME PEOPLE are the ones who think the government should have no say whatsoever in how or whether you educate your children, what kinds of guns you own, and how you store those guns properly. 

Imagine if the government mandated prayer in school, and a muslim teacher took them at their word and prayed in front of the students? 

Or wear a mask or get vaccinated. So SOME freedoms are okay, others are not. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

42 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I assisted a friend who was in 10th grade in 1982. She had a terrible home life and when she became pregnant with a biracial baby, she was terrified. I knew her father would have beaten her and kicked her out. Her mother was no prize and would have agreed with kicking her out. I took her to the local clinic, where she got an abortion and birth control so she could at least get through high school without another pregnancy. I would do it again without hesitation. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 14

I really think they intend to just let those babies die before paying for them. These are the same states that want no food stamps, no medicaid, no minimum wage laws, no worker protections. I think it will suit them just fine to have a desperate population on the brink of starvation willing to work whatever job under whatever conditions to keep their kids from starving. The people responsible will live in their gated communities, reaping the profits from this exploitation and never having to look it in the face. They have zero issues with turning their states into the equivalent of poor countries as long as they get more wealth and power. 

If they actually cared about preserving fetuses' and babies' lives they'd expand sex education, make birth control free and easily accessible, and make sure children who were born are provided for. But they do the exact opposite of those things. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

1 minute ago, Howl said:

The only ray of hope in all of this is a commenter on Twitter who noted that Roberts "may not" sign off on this draft statement. 

I'm not holding my breath. 

I don't think he has to?  They have 5 votes without him. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

3 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

I really think they intend to just let those babies die before paying for them. These are the same states that want no food stamps, no medicaid, no minimum wage laws, no worker protections. I think it will suit them just fine to have a desperate population on the brink of starvation willing to work whatever job under whatever conditions to keep their kids from starving. The people responsible will live in their gated communities, reaping the profits from this exploitation and never having to look it in the face. They have zero issues with turning their states into the equivalent of poor countries as long as they get more wealth and power. 

If they actually cared about preserving fetuses' and babies' lives they'd expand sex education, make birth control free and easily accessible, and make sure children who were born are provided for. But they do the exact opposite of those things. 

In a perfect world, you could do away with it for the most part, but it would take a hell of a lot and I don't think these people are willing to do any of it. Just look how  much they try to cut and let people just float. 

• Upvote 2

image.thumb.png.33c65d2d4c16abcdc1e814d2adc9603d.png

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

I'll shit in one hand and pray with the other and see which one gets me farther.  ~*tots and pears*~

• Upvote 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic