IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 5 - Carlin Is Still Engaged?

HerNameIsBuffy

2 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Part of me likes that about Carlin because she is the so not the typical fundy wife type. But I also know that I couldn't be in a room with her for very long at all without wanting to choke her. In her efforts to play it up for the cameras and social media, she can come off as not very genuine. I will never forget the first episode on UP where she and Erin were shopping for Whitney's baby shower. She stops in the middle of the aisle to tell Erin that she is proud of her for how she has handled the miscarriages, etc. Erin was busy counting the door prizes they bought and barely pays any attention to her. You see it again when Zach graduated from the police academy. She stepped in front of people to tell him how proud she was. He gave her an obligatory hug and moved on while she kept yelling the rest of her speech for him. 

She's very Kelly like in that way. I could actually see her being one of the ones with the most kids. Like Kelly Jo, she's going to find that after the wedding, that's the only way she's going to get attention. 

My coworker is like this. Drives me crazy. She'll wave her hands in peoples faces or just straight up tell them to shut up until she finishes her story. But my coworker is like 30 years older than me and I can't tell her how disrespectful that is. 

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 1
  • Love 1

Apart from Michael, it seems that all Bates‘ women + Whitney live by the „the man is the head, the woman is the neck“ saying. They all likely submit when they have to but also run the household and married man that love to have married pretty women that are in the spotlight and set the tone.

What I hate most about it is that they promote a cult that leaves women without their own voices and basic human rights at worst while they do have much more power than most in the cult. They certainly don’t live what they preach.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

@ihaveanexamintwodays

Ok, thank you for doing expressing that with out a negative emoji. We debate the freedom and and authority of the Bates and Duggar women all the time. Opinions usually come with backup here. That's all I was saying.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1

Any of these women, if their husbands told them they absolutely had to give up their jeans or their job IMO they would obey. They would not be happy and would resent their husbands but I don't see them filing for divorce or living in total rebellion of their husbands. They have been trained since they were young that they must submit. 

Whitney is different, I think she might, if Zach went to the frumper only, no TV, you must sit at home, path might leave just because she wasn't indoctrinated in a cult for her whole life. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3

Can I just say that the thread title made me skip a heartbeat. I actually thought that Evan might have cancelled the wedding. [And that I could be so smug and gloat about me knowing it all along and having predicted it here.]

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/14/2019 at 3:05 PM, formergothardite said:

Whitney is different, I think she might, if Zach went to the frumper only, no TV, you must sit at home, path might leave just because she wasn't indoctrinated in a cult for her whole life. 

Gut feeling but I think she's least likely to leave.  She has an air of neediness and desperation for acceptance into this family that wafts off her after all this time.  I don't see her leaving, but I don't watch the show so all I know if from this forum - I could be way off.

56 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I do like the dress. 

I had a nightgown very similar to that in the mid-70s.  Little me didn't look any better in it - that's not a flattering cut imo.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Gut feeling but I think she's least likely to leave.  She has an air of neediness and desperation for acceptance into this family that wafts off her after all this time.  I don't see her leaving, but I don't watch the show so all I know if from this forum - I could be way off.

I think Whitney would stay too because of everything that went down in her childhood I think she craves the stability Zach gives her, but I also think zach loves Whitney for her and will do basically anything to make Whit Happy, Zach was the oldest, he saw how his family struggled, he tried to follow his families ways and had a broken courtship then he met Whitney and he feel in love with her and was decidedly not fundie. I think alot of the Bates Kids go away a little and it's always the ones who are closest to Gil's parents. Zach is super close to Papa Bill and Mama Jane as is Alyssa and those are the two that have loosened the most. 

honestly from the show you can tell Mama Jane loves her grandkids but she thinks her son is an idiot for having so many.  

• Upvote 9

Since we talked about Carlin's insecurities as a child a few weeks ago, I have a hard(er) time snarking on her. Her childhood must have been really tough and I feel so sorry for her and think it is heartbreaking that she felt so worthless growing up.

The duckface and all of that is still obnoxious AF, but I somehow developed a soft spot for her. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

Look at the closeup shot of Carlin's nightgown dress on a computer screen--you see a whole mess of loose threads around the belt loop.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Look at the closeup shot of Carlin's nightgown dress on a computer screen--you see a whole mess of loose threads around the belt loop.

Tbh the majority of those dresses look very cheaply made.

i am not fashionista and love bargains but I hate clothes that last a couple of washings and then either start unraveling or lose their shape.  I’ve had that happens with a couple of things I bought on Amazon.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

The pink dress Carlin is wearing reminds me of the bridesmaids' dresses in Jessa's wedding.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, NoKidsAndCounting said:

The pink dress Carlin is wearing reminds me of the bridesmaids' dresses in Jessa's wedding.

If it was lime green paired with a floppy sunhat and lace gloves it would look exactly like my Mom's bridesmaids' dresses from 1973.

The dresses matched the punch, she says.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Screamapillar said:

If it was lime green paired with a floppy sunhat and lace gloves it would look exactly like my Mom's bridesmaids' dresses from 1973.

The dresses matched the punch, she says.

Those types in the 70s and 80s always looked like someone made the dresses out of the bedroom curtains. 

I was a child then and flower girl in too many weddings where the bride wore a hoop skirt and all the female attendants were in colors not found in nature with matching big floppy hats (even indoors). I guess they wanted to take the focus off the shag carpet?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Those types in the 70s and 80s always looked like someone made the dresses out of the bedroom curtains. 

I was a child then and flower girl in too many weddings where the bride wore a hoop skirt and all the female attendants were in colors not found in nature with matching big floppy hats (even indoors). I guess they wanted to take the focus off the shag carpet?

i know i'm odd, but i'd *never* take the focus off the shag carpet.  if i had unlimited funds to redecorate, i'd go with shag; the hard part would be choosing a (techni)color......

ETA:  if the Bride posted by @NoKidsAndCounting had dark brown hair, she'd look like my mom.

Edited by catlady
  • Upvote 1

My Mom and Dad got married in 1969, and they had the pastel rainbow bridesmaid dresses.  I actually loved those pictures! ?

• Love 5

my parents got married in 1967, but i don't remember what color the bridesmaids wore (all the photos were in an album that was damaged in a flooded basement some 30 years ago).  but my aunt was married in 1970 and had yellow floral bridesmaid dresses that were exactly how you'd imagine.  the bridesmaids also had these flat bow headpieces wits short yellow veils on them; the men all had yellow tuxedo jackets and white pants.  i recall this picture so well because we talked about it a lot:  my sister at age 2.5 was the flower girl, and she was pouting miserably--the reception site where it was taken had a tank of live lobsters that she wanted to see Right. This. Second. and not pose for pictures before the photographer had to leave.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Someone more knowledgeable than me - what can you do with an interdisciplinary degree such as this, please? 

*Yes, I know she's not going to do anything with it.*

1 hour ago, lizzybee said:

Someone more knowledgeable than me - what can you do with an interdisciplinary degree such as this, please? 

*Yes, I know she's not going to do anything with it.*

Be a better homeskooling mom. Carlin might actually know where north, south, east, and west are located!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 3

This is totally BEC, but I am assuming that Erin and Carlin's dresses are from their "boutique" and you can learn waaay too much about their brassieres through that cheap fabric.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic