IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 5: I just see babies having baby showers!

HerNameIsBuffy

I don't really love snarking on people's appearances but I do find it interesting that beauty is so subjective. I have different opinions of who the better looking Bateses are than many on here, both genders!

Of course that helps most of us average-looking types find someone who thinks we're gorgeous, so that's nice!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

13 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

That his genetic code allows for good cinema exposure.

(Try to sneak in My Dinner with Andre when he's a little older.)

Truth be told, my favorite Wallace Shawn memories are from Murphy Brown. I don't know if those will hold up for the teens of 2035 (dear rufus)

I loved he one where he went on FYI after getting elected to office and discovering that his far-right backers expected a return on their investment: “Isn’t it time we took another look at slavery?”

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

So Josie has been modeling for Josies boutique. I’m pretty sure this is the shortest skirt she has worn. I wonder what her parents think? I think she looks great. C01E2ABE-E7B7-404C-92C5-9651D1762F9D.thumb.jpeg.b93cce7481ca03d5385228ad1dddb66b.jpeg

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

So Josie has been modeling for Josies boutique. I’m pretty sure this is the shortest skirt she has worn. I wonder what her parents think? I think she looks great. C01E2ABE-E7B7-404C-92C5-9651D1762F9D.thumb.jpeg.b93cce7481ca03d5385228ad1dddb66b.jpeg

I like the skirt, but loathe the over shirt. I guess it's very VSCO? So if that's your taste it's great, but it certainly is not mine.

Josie has defied pretty much every modesty standard her parents set up. Even in one of her highlighted series on ig she shows quite some cleavage. I don’t think anything is a surprise at this point, even to her parents. 

Edited by VBOY9977
  • Upvote 4

I don’t understand why Gil or JB could even believe that they should have any say in what their adult, married offspring wear or do. At what point did JB or Gil stop complying with the beliefs or wishes of their fathers? We all have heard that both Bill Bates and JL Duggar did not agree with their sons uncontrolled reproductive practices, and those practices actually affected lots of other people. Who gets hurt by a female wearing pants, a shorter skirt, a bathing suit while swimming or spacing their children? 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

. . .  Who gets hurt by a female wearing pants, a shorter skirt, a bathing suit while swimming or spacing their children? 

They believe that people do. Men get hurt when they see skin and have a bad thought. They have now sinned. (Of course, I want to to ask, at what point it becomes a sin. Is seeing it a sin? Is looking and feeling attraction a sin? I think they would say yes. I think it takes more- looking again. Then fantasizing about what you saw. Then feeling like you have to have what you saw, etc.). They believe women get hurt as a result of their actions of wearing pants, a shorter skirt, a bathing suit because "bad men" may take it as an invitation or people may think poorly of them (and people thinking badly of you hurts).

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, nolongerIFBx said:

They believe that people do. Men get hurt when they see skin and have a bad thought. They have now sinned. (Of course, I want to to ask, at what point it becomes a sin. Is seeing it a sin? Is looking and feeling attraction a sin? I think they would say yes. I think it takes more- looking again. Then fantasizing about what you saw. Then feeling like you have to have what you saw, etc.). They believe women get hurt as a result of their actions of wearing pants, a shorter skirt, a bathing suit because "bad men" may take it as an invitation or people may think poorly of them (and people thinking badly of you hurts).

This is a big part of why I will never be Christian again. I don’t want to my children to feel guilty about thoughts and feelings. I remember feeling that way. I felt guilty for feeling hate or jealousy because it was a sin. I felt like God could read my mind and my jealousy was a sin, although it’s a common and natural feeling for a kid. The whole idea of sin and eternal hellfire can be traumatic for children. I would never want to put that on my kids. For them to feel guilty because they saw an attractive woman/man and got an erection. 

• Upvote 11

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This is a big part of why I will never be Christian again. I don’t want to my children to feel guilty about thoughts and feelings. I remember feeling that way. I felt guilty for feeling hate or jealousy because it was a sin. I felt like God could read my mind and my jealousy was a sin, although it’s a common and natural feeling for a kid. The whole idea of sin and eternal hellfire can be traumatic for children. I would never want to put that on my kids. For them to feel guilty because they saw an attractive woman/man and got an erection. 

All of this is so completely the opposite of how I was raised as a Christian. Maybe because we didn't go to church. I was never taught any of that crap. My brother and I weren't raised with the sin and hellfire crap, because my parents hadn't and honestly thought all was full of crap. The idea that God who created everything is going to focus so much on kids for having normal thoughts seemed insane to them and to me. That when you do mess up your going to be punished and get a talk on why that's wrong none of the crap that you sinned and were going to Hell or God was mad at you. Your a kid, you messed up, that's it and God knows that.  

• Upvote 8

So today on IG, the Balkas received an education packet for Willow, and KB was reading a little book to the baby. It’s so funny that people who do not really seem that supportive of education love to post about about how they are enriching their own kids’ lives. Education is a life long marathon folks, not a momentary sprint, best to pace yourselves.

• Upvote 10

10 hours ago, SassyPants said:

So today on IG, the Balkas received an education packet for Willow, and KB was reading a little book to the baby. It’s so funny that people who do not really seem that supportive of education love to post about about how they are enriching their own kids’ lives. Education is a life long marathon folks, not a momentary sprint, best to pace yourselves.

I think a lot of fundies start out really into educating their kids. I think they start out with lofty goals and it probably does start out really well. The first few kids aren’t overwhelming yet. They are only learning basic stuff that everyone knows. Then it progressively gets harder and harder with each new baby. The oldest kids are learning harder stuff and the younger kids are demanding attention. Until they are completely overwhelmed like Sierra.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 4

11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think a lot of fundies start out really into educating their kids. I think they start out with lofty goals and it probably does start out really well. The first few kids aren’t overwhelming yet. They are only learning basic stuff that everyone knows. Then it progressively gets harder and harder with each new baby. The oldest kids are learning harder stuff and the younger kids are demanding attention. Until they are completely overwhelmed like Sierra.

So true.

It's too bad that there aren't any other educational choices in the United States like public school, charter school, homeschool co-ops, private school, private Christian school. Those lack of choices just leave fundies in such a bind with no other option but to not educate their eleventy billion kids. (sarcasm)

• Upvote 17
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

In terms of the Duggars ( have never really followed the Bates), I always thought the number one reason that they homeschooled once their family expanded is because they never could have followed a school schedule...early morning drop off, activities, homework, set pick up time. HS by default, IMO.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

9 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

In terms of the Duggars ( have never really followed the Bates), I always thought the number one reason that they homeschooled once their family expanded is because they never could have followed a school schedule...early morning drop off, activities, homework, set pick up time. HS by default, IMO.

It would be crazy hard for someone like Nicole Naugler. But it probably wasn’t for Erika Shupe. I’m sure there was a transition period for the Shupes but Erika was always so regimented and scheduled, getting her kids to school and dropping them off on time likely wasn’t a big deal. I think the Maxwell’s could easily do the public school schedule and keep track of it all. But the Duggars and Bateses are late for everything. So they likely would be late to school a lot. 

• Upvote 4

I have always thought the No 1 reason the Duggars home-schooled was to control their kids: not let them be exposed to heathens, not be allowed to have an unsupervised conversation with another child or adult, not be allowed to read stuff that wasn't biblical, etc so they would believe their parents 100% of the time. But I can sure see that there is no way the kids could have regularly arrived at any school on time. If they HAD chosen an actual school from the beginning I think they could have managed the timing aspect, but after so many years of lackadaisical scheduling there is just no way.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Bobology said:

I have always thought the No 1 reason the Duggars home-schooled was to control their kids: not let them be exposed to heathens, not be allowed to have an unsupervised conversation with another child or adult, not be allowed to read stuff that wasn't biblical, etc so they would believe their parents 100% of the time. But I can sure see that there is no way the kids could have regularly arrived at any school on time. If they HAD chosen an actual school from the beginning I think they could have managed the timing aspect, but after so many years of lackadaisical scheduling there is just no way.

I think Josh did attend public school kindergarten. But then baby Caleb and a baby a year for for 20 years happened and schooling sort of got relegated to the back of the bus.

• Upvote 6

32 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I think Josh did attend public school kindergarten. But then baby Caleb and a baby a year for for 20 years happened and schooling sort of got relegated to the back of the bus.

They said in their book that they found out about homeschooling when Josh was a preschooler and they always intended to do it. I think homeschooling lead to ATI, which encouraged the breeding for Jesus (not vice versa).

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

They said in their book that they found out about homeschooling when Josh was a preschooler and they always intended to do it. I think homeschooling lead to ATI, which encouraged the breeding for Jesus (not vice versa).

When Michelle miscarried Caleb, Josh was less than 1 year old. That moment, the doctor told Michelle it was her fault because she was using the pill. She felt guilty, immediately got pregnant again and never stopped. The twins were born via C-section because Michelle had preeclamsia and it was risky, but just a few months later she got pregnant again. I have no doubt they were already fundie by the time Josh was a preschooler. Maybe they weren't ATI, but they were already quiverful and open to join a group like that.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bobology said:

And then they let them have social media, internet access, and be on TV, which has to be worse exposure than any conversation they might have had in school :tw_joy: Idiots. All of them

• Upvote 10

On 11/8/2019 at 7:47 PM, FaithAndReason said:

So true.

It's too bad that there aren't any other educational choices in the United States like public school, charter school, homeschool co-ops, private school, private Christian school. Those lack of choices just leave fundies in such a bind with no other option but to not educate their eleventy billion kids. (sarcasm)

Oh yeah and there is no such thing as state provided curriculum and online teachers to help parents who want to homeschool either, not to mention our lack of community college dual enrollment for high schoolers.

• Upvote 12

Who do you speculate to be the most or least compatible Bates kids couples? 

Who'd argue the most? I get 50/50 vibes from the youngest couples for some reason. 

Kelton and Josie look like they've rushed things. They sometimes post things about "making marriage work". But she's more emancipated than most girls in her circles, and he seems like "good company", at least on the surface. He seems dedicated to her, having lost his mother early in life. 

Carlin and Evan appear to be the typical teen-crush-SoMe couple playing house. She was obsessing over him and their relationship leading up to the wedding. Now tries hard to be a "good wife", but is still a kid. His family looks slightly less fundie than average, which could spell good for her in the long run.

Tori and Bobby don't say much. I bet there was strong physical attraction between the two. Their kid is doted on by many, though.

Michaela is stuck with creepy Brandon and his vindictive stares. Last thing girl needed.

Alyssa is all "diva in transition" but at least looks happy with her tall guy John.

Erin and Chad look good together, but they also look like they could bicker a lot. Their son is whiny and their oldest daughter always has a natural angry look on her face.

Whitney likes that she's found a home with Zach, besides that, I'm not sure.

Trace and Chaney: it's early to tell, but they look fairly happy.

In the meanwhile, Lawson watches them all from his perch, secretly yearning something more exciting for himself.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, FighterJet said:

Who do you speculate to be the most or least compatible Bates kids couples? 

Who'd argue the most? I get 50/50 vibes from the youngest couples for some reason. 

Kelton and Josie look like they've rushed things. They sometimes post things about "making marriage work". But she's more emancipated than most girls in her circles, and he seems like "good company", at least on the surface. He seems dedicated to her, having lost his mother early in life. 

Carlin and Evan appear to be the typical teen-crush-SoMe couple playing house. She was obsessing over him and their relationship leading up to the wedding. Now tries hard to be a "good wife", but is still a kid. His family looks slightly less fundie than average, which could spell good for her in the long run.

Tori and Bobby don't say much. I bet there was strong physical attraction between the two. Their kid is doted on by many, though.

Michaela is stuck with creepy Brandon and his vindictive stares. Last thing girl needed.

Alyssa is all "diva in transition" but at least looks happy with her tall guy John.

Erin and Chad look good together, but they also look like they could bicker a lot. Their son is whiny and their oldest daughter always has a natural angry look on her face.

Whitney likes that she's found a home with Zach, besides that, I'm not sure.

Trace and Chaney: it's early to tell, but they look fairly happy.

In the meanwhile, Lawson watches them all from his perch, secretly yearning something more exciting for himself.

Its really dificult to tell, and its speculation but of all the couples if i have to say who i get the impression is in an unhappy marriage i would say Tori and Bobby. 

Michaella and Brandon i actually think are really well matched personality wise, and would be really content if not for the fertility issues, but even with that they seem to be doing ok.

All the rest seem well matched and happy, at least at the moment, but who know 10 years from now. I do think maybe Carlin and Evan will find it dificult once the kids arrive since they both seem inmature at the moment.

Edited by llucie
spelling
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

If I had to guess the happiest couple of the Bates, I’d guess Alyssa and John. They just seem to be on the same page- Just the vibe I get. I always forget how young they actually are since they seem to have their life together. 
Unhappiest? Maybe Tori and Bobby. Or Erin and Chad only cause Erin is constantly gushing and I’m slightly cynical. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

I have a feeling some of the unhappiness has little to do with their partner and a lot to do with being raised quiverful fundie. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

I would say Chad is the most unhappy out of all of them. That man has looked so tired for the past 2 years. He's lost weight and gained undereye circles of someone who hasn't slept in a long time. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic