IGNORED

Dillards 76: Somewhat successful social media?!?

Georgiana

Aunt Bethany brought a jello salad in Christmas Vacation.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, finnlassie said:

So... gelatine vomit, basically?

At least there aren't any weens in there.  Still gross, though.

3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I love fruited jellos too! Yummy! I remember growing up they had some kind of make your own jello that you could shake and get the frothy kind. It was so good. 

I remember that .   It would separate into 3 layers as it set up.

1 hour ago, zcccrv said:

Check out this beauty. ?

Ingredients

2 pork legs

1 pork tail

1 dry pork knuckle

garlic (to taste)

salt and pepper (to taste)

1 pork ear

Reveal hidden contents

hladetina.jpg

Well, wychdog would love that for sure.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, zcccrv said:

Check out this beauty. ?

Ingredients

2 pork legs

1 pork tail

1 dry pork knuckle

garlic (to taste)

salt and pepper (to taste)

1 pork ear

Reveal hidden contents

hladetina.jpg

Everything but the oink.

• Haha 5

23 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

around the 2 hour and 19 Min mark. (Yes I'm watching it all LMAO) Michelle says if her kids (Specifically daughters) had a crush on someone they are only allowed to talk about it with her and Jim Bob they are not allowed to mention it in youth group or even discuss it with their siblings. WTF 

After all they've been through with Josh, they should be encouraging their children to be open about their feelings in any way possible. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Deleorean88mph said:

After all they've been through with Josh, they should be encouraging their children to be open about their feelings in any way possible. 

it seems to be some weird fundy rule I believe it's been mentioned that Anna's parents had the same rule  each kid got a certain amount of time to talk to the parents every week but weren't allowed to discuss with siblings, in the video the man and women are supposed to thank god for normal desires but the women are never to act on them, (Men either but at least they can initate courtship where a woman can't) 

it has something to do with treating everyone around you as someone else's furture husband or wife so you don't want to basically let anyone know you may like someone if they're not actually meant for you. I don't know it was all so confusing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

1 minute ago, Deleorean88mph said:

https://www.romper.com/p/5-surprising-facts-about-anna-duggar-that-prove-theres-more-to-her-than-meets-the-eye-8708478

That's the article that mentions the 15 min rule, where each kid got 15 min a week to talk to their parents about their feelings. That's not normal!

this article is wrong on the very first fact, Anna wanted to wait until she was 20 not 18  just an FYI for anyone who reads this but doesn't know the history behind it. 

• Upvote 6

18 minutes ago, Deleorean88mph said:

That's the article that mentions the 15 min rule, where each kid got 15 min a week to talk to their parents about their feelings. That's not normal!

Reminds me of The Giver. Which was not a "how to" guide, fundies! 

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

All this talk about jello salads makes me think of Bruno the Fishing Dog.  

I've not heard the story in years, but this is the gist of it:  Bruno is a Lab or Golden Retriever who spends his summers with his mater's widowed mom in Lake Wobegon.  One day when Bruno was fairly young he accidentally caught a fish.  After that experience, you could not keep him away from the lake as he hoped he catch another.  (Sometimes he did..)  His grandmother had to go to the Twin Cities both to deliver Bruno back to her son and attend the christening of her newest grandchild.  I think the daughter-in-law was Merlene, but I'm not sure.)  The old lady made a jello salad, covered with aluminum foil, loaded the old dog into the car and set of for the suburbs of Minneapolis.  Bruno got car sick on the way and she had to clean things up, but fortunately the jello salad was not affected.   Merlene had done everything up fancy: fancy decor, fancy guests and fancy food (catered!) including this glorious salmon in the middle of the dining room table.  Merlene was not interested in her mother-in-law's jello salad and just put it in the kitchen.  Her mother-in -law and Bruno were in the kitchen so they might not be underfoot.  The mother-in-law knew how much Bruno loved fishing and how he'd likely not have many more chances to catch a fish so she let him loose.  He flew out of the kitchen, jumped on the dining room table, snatched the salmon into his mouth and took off.  Everything was a wreck.  Mother-in-law came out of the kitchen bearing her jello salad and asking 

"Does anyone care for dessert?"

Lake Wobegon! Too bad Garrison Keillor ended up being a creep. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Wait, work? I’m thinking probably not. That would cut into ...I don’t know. What do the Dillards do ?

I think it'll show whether Derick is taking the whole be-a-lawyer-after-law-school thing semi seriously... or if he's just going to school to hide out from the real world because Missioncations made Jill miserable and he doesn't want to have a real job. 

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

All this talk about jello salads makes me think of Bruno the Fishing Dog.  

I've not heard the story in years, but this is the gist of it:  Bruno is a Lab or Golden Retriever who spends his summers with his mater's widowed mom in Lake Wobegon.  One day when Bruno was fairly young he accidentally caught a fish.  After that experience, you could not keep him away from the lake as he hoped he catch another.  (Sometimes he did..)  His grandmother had to go to the Twin Cities both to deliver Bruno back to her son and attend the christening of her newest grandchild.  I think the daughter-in-law was Merlene, but I'm not sure.)  The old lady made a jello salad, covered with aluminum foil, loaded the old dog into the car and set of for the suburbs of Minneapolis.  Bruno got car sick on the way and she had to clean things up, but fortunately the jello salad was not affected.   Merlene had done everything up fancy: fancy decor, fancy guests and fancy food (catered!) including this glorious salmon in the middle of the dining room table.  Merlene was not interested in her mother-in-law's jello salad and just put it in the kitchen.  Her mother-in -law and Bruno were in the kitchen so they might not be underfoot.  The mother-in-law knew how much Bruno loved fishing and how he'd likely not have many more chances to catch a fish so she let him loose.  He flew out of the kitchen, jumped on the dining room table, snatched the salmon into his mouth and took off.  Everything was a wreck.  Mother-in-law came out of the kitchen bearing her jello salad and asking 

"Does anyone care for dessert?"

I read this whole thing in a heavy Minnesota accent.  Uff da! You betcha!   

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

I'm confused over the not being allowed to talk to their siblings about someone they like. I could swear the girls have mentioned on CO about how much they loved their 'girl talk' time in their room, which included convos about guys they thought they were cute or had a crush on. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

57 minutes ago, bella8050 said:

I'm confused over the not being allowed to talk to their siblings about someone they like. I could swear the girls have mentioned on CO about how much they loved their 'girl talk' time in their room, which included convos about guys they thought they were cute or had a crush on. 

They probably did all talk about it with eachother though Michelle and Jim Bob were against it. That's what sister's do, especially when they are close in age and all share a room.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

23 hours ago, anaandrade said:

I find it so interesting that people here find gelatin salad gross. I'm Mexican and we have it at parties all the time for dessert. To each their own I guess :)

Our family has a recipe handed down from my mother's mother that we serve at Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.  It's a lemon jello salad that has whipped cream, cream cheese, pineapple and walnuts in it and we love it.  However, I would not really want to eat any jello salad with any meat products in it.

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

They probably did all talk about it with eachother though Michelle and Jim Bob were against it. That's what sister's do, especially when they are close in age and all share a room.

I really hope they did.  The amount of control fundie parents want over their children is mind-boggling.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Me and my sister spent our time farting on each others faces...

• Haha 21
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, Granwych said:

At least there aren't any weens in there.  Still gross, though.

I remember that .   It would separate into 3 layers as it set up.

Well, wychdog would love that for sure.

Yes! I forgot the layers! 

• Upvote 2

My Mom made jello ribbon salad when I was little (red, green, and yellow separated by white layers that may have contained cream cheese- I'm not sure). My aunt made a yummy apricot Jell-O salad. She gave that recipe to my Mom. I would be interested in trying both as an adult.

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

Our family has a recipe handed down from my mother's mother that we serve at Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.  It's a lemon jello salad that has whipped cream, cream cheese, pineapple and walnuts in it and we love it.  However, I would not really want to eat any jello salad with any meat products in it.

I really hope they did.  The amount of control fundie parents want over their children is mind-boggling.

That jello salad sounds delicious! As long as there is no meat or a veg (not even carrot), I would like it. 

Its not just mind boggling how much control they have, its sad. We control our children as they grow up but these people control their kids minds, their inner most thoughts..... those private things that are ours. 

• Upvote 7

Jello and vegetables...that thought just put me off my lunch... It's a dessert!! I could see fruit being ok but not spring onions blehhhrgh!

Didn't Jana know Joy had a huge crush on Austin, and finally clued him in, which is how he came to pursue Joy? Pretty sure Jana said she had known Joy was crushing on Austin for years. Obviously they'd talked about it from when Joy was a young teen. So this is just them preaching some holier than thou crap. Just like the 'we don't do Christmas trees' b.s.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

Is it too much to hope that this is inspired by people in Jill's circle that maybe she is distancing herself from, or questioning some of the things she's been raised to believe? 

Could also be random or to her critics I know. 

From her IG stories:

Spoiler

79C7EA33-62B9-45AE-8E5F-6F6CE308C4FB.thumb.png.4e339037f174fa4f63461658564945b3.png

Spoiler

946F8E67-AB72-46E8-93CB-A238F588E184.thumb.png.bfc7ecadc3d275eb83a31642d74a7c97.png

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, bella8050 said:

Is it too much to hope that this is inspired by people in Jill's circle that maybe she is distancing herself from, or questioning some of the things she's been raised to believe? 

Could also be random or to her critics I know. 

From her IG stories:

Hide contents

79C7EA33-62B9-45AE-8E5F-6F6CE308C4FB.thumb.png.4e339037f174fa4f63461658564945b3.png

Hide contents

946F8E67-AB72-46E8-93CB-A238F588E184.thumb.png.bfc7ecadc3d275eb83a31642d74a7c97.png

It’d be nice if she applied this to people who aren’t white, Protestant, straight, and Cis. Baby steps I suppose. 

But yeah, it’s possible she’s questioning some of the stuff she was raised with. She’s already made some superficial changes to her wardrobe and it seems likely she (and Jinger) might have gotten a bit of pushback from others about it. Jinger might have to be more cautious in how she responds because of the show and being a Minister’s wife, but maybe this is Jill’s way of telling them to go fuck themselves because she’s not giving up her skinny jeans and nose ring. 

• Upvote 16

One form of religious abuse I've encountered and experienced, and many others have too, is the whole "I know what God's will for you is". Good God it feels sore to even remember. The Christian Society at my old uni had some really toxic people that were just out there to correct me and others, knowing better than anyone else.

• Upvote 10

28 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

It’d be nice if she applied this to people who aren’t white, Protestant, straight, and Cis. Baby steps I suppose. 

But yeah, it’s possible she’s questioning some of the stuff she was raised with. She’s already made some superficial changes to her wardrobe and it seems likely she (and Jinger) might have gotten a bit of pushback from others about it. Jinger might have to be more cautious in how she responds because of the show and being a Minister’s wife, but maybe this is Jill’s way of telling them to go fuck themselves because she’s not giving up her skinny jeans and nose ring. 

in that video it was interesting that Jim Bob kind of stammered well some of our girls wear pants and some don't and then quickly handed it over to Michelle. honesty even from the way Michelle talked I don't think Jim Bob gives a crap if his daughters wear pants, that's is and seems to continue to be one of Michelle's rules she'll cling to till the grave. 

• Upvote 11

40 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

in that video it was interesting that Jim Bob kind of stammered well some of our girls wear pants and some don't and then quickly handed it over to Michelle. honesty even from the way Michelle talked I don't think Jim Bob gives a crap if his daughters wear pants, that's is and seems to continue to be one of Michelle's rules she'll cling to till the grave. 

And Michele stated that the Lord spoke to her through the word, about dressing  modestly. Ok, that’s great for Michelle...and any minor Duggarette living in the TTH, but that’s where the message/control should end. Maybe the Lord spoke to  cousin Amy and told her to wear halter tops and bikinis, Or to Jill and instructed her to wear comfortable, modesty outfits, be it pants, walking shorts or dresses.

See how that works, Michelle?

• Upvote 22
  • Love 1

• Georgiana locked this topic