IGNORED

M is for Mama 3: B is for Baby Boy Born

Jellybean

I'm really surprised that she keeps giving her sons names that are (in this day and age) much more commonly associate with girls. Fundies usually have huge complexes about adhering to absurdly strict gender norms. Most people will think Honor and Shiloh are girls just seeing their names written down, and may do a double take when they meet them (as tends to happen with a lot of unisex names). Honor especially has, as far as I can tell, never been a male name. I'm just surprised a fundie wouldn't care about that.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

Shiloh always makes me think of Grandma's Boy (movie). "Yeah right, Guy-Blow." 

Anyway, good for her...but it sucks that the boy's father had to be worn down to the name. 

• Haha 1

So what book is she talking about? Because I can only think of the book called Shiloh about a beagle dog named Shiloh. And since she just got a beagle puppy, I would think the dog would be Shiloh ?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Shiny said:

Shiloh always makes me think of Grandma's Boy (movie). "Yeah right, Guy-Blow." 

Anyway, good for her...but it sucks that the boy's father had to be worn down to the name. 

Thank you. I didn't want to be the one to say it but that's all I can think about when I hear the name Shiloh. Guy-Blow was a vegan waiter played by David Spade. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I'm really surprised that she keeps giving her sons names that are (in this day and age) much more commonly associate with girls. Fundies usually have huge complexes about adhering to absurdly strict gender norms. Most people will think Honor and Shiloh are girls just seeing their names written down, and may do a double take when they meet them (as tends to happen with a lot of unisex names). Honor especially has, as far as I can tell, never been a male name. I'm just surprised a fundie wouldn't care about that.

I’m surprised too, but it has to be said it’s entirely in line with her thinking. Considering the house work the older boys do, I’d say she’s probably isn’t as heavily into the whole gendered division of stuff as other fundies are.

There’s also no reason why Honor or Shiloh should be considered male or female names, except for a history of virtue names being female and the Brangelina thing (and Shiloh Pitt is apparently a transgender boy anyway).

And it has always jarred my feminist sensibilities that virtue is considered a female thing, while a lot of male names are based on males Godlike attributes, being manly, or skill attributes.

Not sure if Abbie would have viewed things exactly the same way, but I wouldn’t have been surprised if she wanted to use a virtue name for Honor, because HER boys ARE virtuous.

“Shiloh” reminds me of the girl with mermaid syndrome, who passed away a few years ago. :(

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

There’s also no reason why Honor or Shiloh should be considered male or female names, except for a history of virtue names being female and the Brangelina thing (and Shiloh Pitt is apparently a transgender boy anyway).

The speculation has gone on since she was a toddler, but there's no confirmation of the rumors that Shiloh Jolie-Pitt is trans. I know that she favors masculine clothes and hairdressing, but it seems cruel to project labels onto a 12(?) year old child who may or may not be dealing with a lot of uncomfortable issues as she begins puberty. Maybe she is, maybe she isn't. In the meantime, I think it's not worth speculating.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 10

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

“Shiloh” reminds me of the girl with mermaid syndrome, who passed away a few years ago. :(

Oh I loved her! She was so cute and spunky. 

• I Agree 1

3 hours ago, mysweetetc said:

The speculation has gone on since she was a toddler, but there's no confirmation of the rumors that Shiloh Jolie-Pitt is trans. I know that she favors masculine clothes and hairdressing, but it seems cruel to project labels onto a 12(?) year old child who may or may not be dealing with a lot of uncomfortable issues as she begins puberty. Maybe she is, maybe she isn't. In the meantime, I think it's not worth speculating.

Oh yeah, I know that. I’ve probably been influenced by some transgender friends who seem convinced she is based on their own experiences, and particularly the length of time Shiloh has been presenting as male. It’s entirely possible they’re projecting.

• Upvote 2

So, the name Shiloh Christian is the name of the school in the Kendrick brothers' movie "Facing the Giants" (oops, my Fundie past is showing). Shiloh by itself is a cute enough name though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

DPIART and Beall's next to youngest boy is Honor, and he's a teen.  I've actually never seen it used as a girl name, myself.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Honor is Jessica Alba's kiddo, too.  I just can't with that name.  My mind always goes to:

She offered her honor

He honored her offer

So all night long

It was on her and off her.

• Haha 13

21 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Honor is Jessica Alba's kiddo, too.  I just can't with that name.  My mind always goes to:

She offered her honor

He honored her offer

So all night long

It was on her and off her.

I think of Jessica Alba’s daughter when I hear Honor as a name. She has two girls Honor and Haven and a boy named Hayes. Jessica grew up in a religious family so I’m not too surprised she used Honor and Haven. I think she says she’s not religious like her parents now. Although she’s still Christian. I also love that she and her husband have dark hair and ended up with a cute little redhead. You never know when it comes to genetics! 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4

14 hours ago, mysweetetc said:

With Shiloh/John (apparently Shiloh likes to be called that), I'll let them (since I'm not sure if Shiloh is still she or what) say what they are if they choose to make that known publicly rather than assume one way or the other. I think gender identity is a very personal issue, and if I were figuring that shit out, I wouldn't want random people going "you're X" or "you're Y" even if they were ultimately right. 

Maybe Shiloh is trans and will soon have gender confirmation surgery/hormones/the whole lot. Maybe Shiloh still considers them/herself a girl but just prefers to dress more boyishly. Either way I hope they're getting plenty of love and support and can live a happy life with as much or as little media attention as they wish. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

When I hear the name Honor I think of Honor Blackman first, then Honor Harrington. When I hear Shiloh I think about the Battle of Shiloh. But I'm a geek/film buff/history nerd. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Nicole Jinger Duggar said:

So, the name Shiloh Christian is the name of the school in the Kendrick brothers' movie "Facing the Giants" (oops, my Fundie past is showing). Shiloh by itself is a cute enough name though. 

Isn’t that the name of Jim Bob Duggar’s alma mater?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, mysweetetc said:

Didn't the kid said he wants to be named John? In that case, I don't think it's just about clothes. Adopting a male name is a big step. (In case it's true and not a magazine fake news, of course).

I don't like the name Honor because its meaning is too hard and evident. Don't people call Your Honor to the judges in US? 

It's like Courage or Heistheway or all that fundie names that imply moral or deep religious issues. Let the children relax! 

Edited by Melissa1977
Clarifying
  • Upvote 1

Many trans people choose to not get surgery or hormones, even if they can afford it or it is covered.  That is not a necessity of being trans.

Many people of the younger generation do not see themselves as transgendered so much as nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer.  While my oldest (17) does identify as trans I would say his friends who are part of the nonbinary or trans spectrum(not a whole lot in day to day life though there are some, but he's been part of the community since he came out at 13, so we have had his friends from the greater geographical area over as well) are all over the map as to what they are pursuing.

If you'd like to learn more about this I highly recommend PFLAG's site and resources (Especially the glossary of terms as a starting point for seeing the broad spectrum out there:  https://pflag.org/glossary  )

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 9
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I just think of the Battle of Shiloh. 

I think of the song by Neil Diamond, Shiloh.  It was actually written about his childhood dog but most people think it was about  girl.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

That’s interesting, I didn’t know that.  I thought it was about an imaginary friend.

• Upvote 2

It deeply bothers me that she went with #thelowdownonshiloh instead of #the downlowonshiloh. My brain can’t comprehend why you wouldn’t choose the one that rhymes?! 

• Upvote 6

A commentor on Abbie's insta asks how all the kids get attention. Abbie responds:

"i don't think most kids need so much (in terms of length of time) individual attention to be made to feel special. I take whoever wants to go with me on grocery runs or sit and listen to a long account about what lizards eat from one of my big boys or snuggle with the 4-year-old and read to him. The twins help me cook and consider that a treat of "mama time." I'm far from perfect at it and I definitely have to adjust when I see a kid that seems like he's feeling neglected, but it doesn't have to be complicated, I don't think. Also, I really like the idea of dating your kids individually. I've been working on that recently too. Just a little special outings seem to make a big difference!"

This makes me feel so angry for her children. Kids need individual attention, full stop. Abbie blithely deciding that they don't need much is essentially a decision to give attention on her terms instead of theirs. Taking kids on grocery runs and having them help with dinner is great and quality time can definitely be built in to that. But making those chores into the sole source of attention is a lazy cop out.* It's another huge red flag that Abbie has too many kids.

Also, what the f#ck, Abbie? Parents don't date their children. The emotional incest discussion is going on in the JRod thread right now and here it is again. Abbie "dating" her sons is beyond creepy and disgusting when you pair it with the foot rubs and #thirdparent comments. 

*my comments are in relation to selfish Abbie only. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

In the last few Instagram posts, Braggie has mentioned her kids cooked chocolate pancakes for each other,  and how the oldest begged to change Shiloh’s diaper.

Braggie. Please. They don’t do all of the work because they like it. Your children do all of the jobs because they know YOU like it and they’re desperate for what little attention they can get from their mother! 

Braggie believes her kids need to serve more:

1D5A6BF7-EA64-4FBA-A803-4777033F9D80.thumb.jpeg.342d8de4977293cb18be4b716c50240c.jpeg

Are you kidding me? Your kids run the entire house.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

• Georgiana locked this topic