IGNORED

Dillards 73: A Bitter Dill

Jellybean

I'm from the Canadian Province of Weed,Rain, Mountains, and Money Laundering Through Real Estate myself, but I have to say that every moment I spent in the fine state of Delaware was a joy. 

Ok, fine the real story of my "trip" to Delaware is that Mr PPOD and I took the train from Philadelphia to Washington DC on vacation.  We have this nerdy thing about adding to our personal lists of States we have visited.  His list is way longer than mine (because my childhood vacations were always to visit family in the UK, while his were road trips to the USA from Montreal)  The train stopped for just a few minutes in Wilmington, so I got off the train, gloated over adding a State he doesn't have yet, and got back on the train.  Hah!

And yes, I had heard that Joe Biden commuted to DC because his wife had died and he wanted to be there for his kids at night instead of spending the week apart from them.  

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Classes also glossed over the fact that our founding fathers were slave owners. There’s this weird worship of our founding fathers in our schools/society that doesn’t allow any room for them to be human beings. Humans who did great things but also terrible things. Slavery is bad, so slave owners are bad. But we can’t ascribe anythjg negative to our founding fathers. Like trying convince everyone that Washington was a nice slave owner, not like the rest of those bad people. And Jefferson and his mistress were in love, even though she had no choice in the matter.

I completely agree. Interesting that a "good" slave owner like Washington had false teeth probably obtained by slaves. People and history are fucked up, in good and bad ways. This is an excellent depiction of learning new, challenging ideas and the backfire effect:  https://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe

15 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

See, this is why my cynical side thinks that banning symbols is an empty gesture. Hate and evil just find new ways to manifest. 

Speaking of swastikas and Nazis, Erika Shupe's daughter Melanie is on Facebook as in a relationship with a young man who has a quote from Erwin Rommel posted on his own page.  I don't recall the kid's name, but seeing that quote speaks vo!umes.

I was wondering how Karen Shupe Wooley (spelling?) Is doing, but nothing on Facebook could be found.  Hope all is well.

8 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Speaking of swastikas and Nazis, Erika Shupe's daughter Melanie is on Facebook as in a relationship with a young man who has a quote from Erwin Rommel posted on his own page.  I don't recall the kid's name, but seeing that quote speaks vo!umes.

I was wondering how Karen Shupe Wooley (spelling?) Is doing, but nothing on Facebook could be found.  Hope all is well.

Well, if she's not dating a Neo-Nazi, better than her sister, evidently. 

Sorry if I'm late to the conversation but a post upthread about racism in other countries reminded me of something. 

I think a previous poster said that many people think racism only exists in America, and that's true. I'm from a country in the Caribbean with a majority black population (though we have a diverse community of people from many and often multiple ethnic backgrounds) and I think we tend to idealize our country as having no racism. So many people use our national motto  "Out of Many One People" as a cop out whenever race discussions come up. 

In reality, we have rampant colourism and classism - and sometimes flat-out racism. To me,  these issues are just another manifestation of racism because they stem from slavery and white imperialism. But because America is placed at the center of the world and it's issues help to define our own, we view our race-related issues as non-existent.

It's weird. People view racial oppression very narrowly when there are many complex personal and systemic manifestations of it. 

I was wondering if others not from the U.S. notice stuff like this. 

Okay, my theoretical rant is done. 

1 hour ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Ha! Joe Biden is just a puppet of the Deep State Delaware Conspiracy! It's all fake!! Delaware is a lie!!! All photos and video of Delaware are doctored by NASA to conceal the TRUTH. Delaware is actually a government code name for the spaceship where all the lizard people make fluoride. Wake up, people!!!!!

For real though, I can still say I don't know anyone from Delaware because I've never met Joe Biden. Then again, I don't know anyone from Alaska either. Yet, for some reason, only Delaware feels fake to me. Weird how that works. 

:greetings-waveyellow:  Me!  Me!  Me!  I live in Delaware!  I promise it is real!  When I tell people that is where I live, many of them ask "what state is that in?"

We are just under Philadelphia, not so far from New York City, Baltimore, and DC.  A contest many years ago came up with this gem for a new slogan:  "Delaware:  so close to where you'd rather be!"

We are not only The First State, but also

• The second smallest (ha--take that, puny Rhode Island)
  • The flattest state (most of it is at sea level)
  • Yes, we are home to Joe Biden--I've driven right by his house & he often shows up at local shops and restaurants. He once beeped and waved at me on the road when he passed me & saw all my Democrat bumper stickers.  I was so excited.
  • We have great beaches--Rehoboth Beach is a prime vacation spot to many politicians from DC, plus Dave Grohl

Squint really hard & see if you can find us.

image.png.15acf383dbebabada8898c6b66da3ca7.png

I'm from the Mitten state! But now I live across the border in the tip of the elephants trunk. (If you take Ontario - turn it slightly clockwise - it almost looks like an elephant with a raised trunk) 

Ha! Joe Biden is just a puppet of the Deep State Delaware Conspiracy! It's all fake!! Delaware is a lie!!! All photos and video of Delaware are doctored by NASA to conceal the TRUTH. Delaware is actually a government code name for the spaceship where all the lizard people make fluoride. Wake up, people!!!!!

For real though, I can still say I don't know anyone from Delaware because I've never met Joe Biden. Then again, I don't know anyone from Alaska either. Yet, for some reason, only Delaware feels fake to me. Weird how that works. 

I’m at a point in my life where I wouldn’t be surprised if anyone actually believed this. I wasn’t even fazed by this. Before I saw your user name I just assumed some fundie whacko had joined us. 

19 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

:greetings-waveyellow:  Me!  Me!  Me!  I live in Delaware!  I promise it is real!  When I tell people that is where I live, many of them ask "what state is that in?"

We are just under Philadelphia, not so far from New York City, Baltimore, and DC.  A contest many years ago came up with this gem for a new slogan:  "Delaware:  so close to where you'd rather be!"

We are not only The First State, but also

• The second smallest (ha--take that, puny Rhode Island)
  • The flattest state (most of it is at sea level)
  • Yes, we are home to Joe Biden--I've driven right by his house & he often shows up at local shops and restaurants. He once beeped and waved at me on the road when he passed me & saw all my Democrat bumper stickers.  I was so excited.
  • We have great beaches--Rehoboth Beach is a prime vacation spot to many politicians from DC, plus Dave Grohl

Squint really hard & see if you can find us.

image.png.15acf383dbebabada8898c6b66da3ca7.png

I’m jealous, I wanna see Joe Biden out in the wild. I want to get him an ice cream cone.

My husband has made some wooden puzzles for our girls and now for our grandchildren.  He cuts out the states with his jigsaw and then paints them.  I think he usually makes one piece for both Massachusetts and Rhode Island but Delaware is its own piece.  It always gets lost.  

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

New Brunswick or Manitoba, for sure.

One of my sweet, young cousins from Ontario told me she can never remember if we live in Manitoba or Montreal. It's Montreal, but I felt sorry for the entire province of Manitoba after she said that. One of those things (a city), is not like the other (a freakin province). 

1 hour ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

I'm from the Canadian Province of Weed,Rain, Mountains, and Money Laundering Through Real Estate myself, but I have to say that every moment I spent in the fine state of Delaware was a joy. 

Ok, fine the real story of my "trip" to Delaware is that Mr PPOD and I took the train from Philadelphia to Washington DC on vacation.  We have this nerdy thing about adding to our personal lists of States we have visited.  His list is way longer than mine (because my childhood vacations were always to visit family in the UK, while his were road trips to the USA from Montreal)  The train stopped for just a few minutes in Wilmington, so I got off the train, gloated over adding a State he doesn't have yet, and got back on the train.  Hah!

And yes, I had heard that Joe Biden commuted to DC because his wife had died and he wanted to be there for his kids at night instead of spending the week apart from them.  

Aka British Columbia!!! (My neighbor)

@front hugs > duggs Vermont is the one that looks like a "V"! And New Hampshire..is the other one. 

My family is from North Dakota. Which, yes, is a state! Where people live! (AKA "Fargo" on this map)

image.thumb.png.8e4589c3d707d0ce9cbd8307f94f982a.png

Home of the Dakota Access Pipeline, strict abortion laws, and the polar vortex (it's -57F with windchill for my parents today), but also small city living, sunflowers, gorgeous summers, fun accents, and lots of cream in cooking. (but not Mt Rushmore, that's S. Dakota)

And it's not all flat! Just on the Eastern side. 

image.png.b28fc98aad174e6e0d4c39190bf59c31.png

I think the image of Illinois above is an inaccurate representation of how people outside the midwest see here. 

See exhibit A:

Facebook_University-of-Illinois-Memes2-7

I grew up in Illinois and now that I live elsewhere when I tell people when I'm from their first response 99% of the time... "Oh, you're from Chicago?"

52 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

The second smallest (ha--take that, puny Rhode Island)

I'm not puny!  I'm 'cozy'.

When asked if I'm local (Maryland) I always say no.  I live here, I'm not from here. Never mind that I've lived in Maryland much longer than I lived in Rhode Island, that matters not.  

7 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

I think the image of Illinois above is an inaccurate representation of how people outside the midwest see here. 

See exhibit A:

Facebook_University-of-Illinois-Memes2-7

I grew up in Illinois and now that I live elsewhere when I tell people when I'm from their first response 99% of the time... "Oh, you're from Chicago?"

My dad grew up in Chicago and remembers a tourism add when he was little involving a sing "just outside Chicago is a place called Illinois." 

1 hour ago, Granwych said:

Wow. Have we talked about this yet on FJ? Cause I want to talk about it...

(Also--I was trying to give the kid the benefit of the doubt, and thought maybe he posted the quote not knowing who originally said it. But nope, the attribution is right there. And he's in the Civilian Air Patrol. You'd think they'd crack down on Nazi-glorification...)

5 minutes ago, karen77 said:

HEre is the US

I have to say, I'm from MT and their depiction of Wyoming is perfect!! lol (MT too) Live in WA now and well, that's funny right there

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/the-stereotype-map-of-every-us-state-according-to-british-pe#.tiV62Eenez

Oh my god, I live between "What?" and "Racists?". It would be funny if it weren't so true!

3 minutes ago, karen77 said:

HEre is the US

I have to say, I'm from MT and their depiction of Wyoming is perfect!! lol (MT too) Live in WA now and well, that's funny right there

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/the-stereotype-map-of-every-us-state-according-to-british-pe#.tiV62Eenez

OK, gotta quote myself, I looked at the southern states and the comment "racists?" is everywhere, pretty funny.

3 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

My dad grew up in Chicago and remembers a tourism add when he was little involving a sing "just outside Chicago is a place called Illinois." 

Ha, I just tell people from outside Scotland, I'm from Glasgow, I actually live in a town that is technically in South Lanarkshire but has a Glasgow post code and isn't that we'll known outside Scotland.

I like how Alaska has SARAH PALIN along the bottom and then Hawaii has OBAMA on that map @karen77 linked to. I guess if a politician is from the main bit of the States people forget where they’re from :pb_lol:

And Texas is mainly GUNS, OIL and MASSIVE HATS.

And mentioning TV shows/films/characters.

For Christmas I asked for and received this cool photo frame that has a map of the US with a photo slot for each state, so the idea is that you print pics from the states you've been to and fill up the frame-

https://www.thunderbunnylabs.com/shop/product/usa_states.2

I've been to something like 38 or maybe 40 states by now but I hadn't thought about the fact that a lot of them were a long time ago and I don't really have an amazing picture of 'that time we drove across Indiana when I was 10' or 'changed planes in the Atlanta airport' or 'went to the bathroom and got gas in New Hampshire on a day trip to Maine' or 'briefly were in Delaware for about 5 minutes on the freeway and never stopped'  ... or there are semi- good photos but they are from 1980 and obviously not digital and the print quality isn't that amazing and I don't own a great scanner... 

But still, fun idea and I need to finish getting the ones I do have printed and put the frame up. 

2 hours ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Yep. That anecdote about Biden taking the train is true. His sons were both injured in a a horrific car accident that killed their mother (Neilia) and infant sister (Naomi) during a Christmas shopping trip shortly after the election in 1972. I believe Biden considered resigning from the Senate to care for them, but he wound up being sworn in at his sons’ bedsides in the Hospital. It would have been much easier for him to commute home every weekend, but he felt his boys had been through too much for him to be absent that long. Being with them every night likely gave Joe a lot of comfort too. 

@allthegoodnamesrgone

Never been to Iowa, but I do remember it when reciting states. Grinnell was on the list of considered schools for a bunch of people I went to undergrad with. Plus my infectious disease epidemiology prof taught there for a while and my pal went to vet school there (she didn’t know the difference between Iowa State and Uni of Iowa. She went to whichever is in Ames). So Grinnell, infectious disease research, caucuses, and Ames are my associations with Iowa. I’m sure your state has more merit, so please share. And if you want an election break, come to Ohio and get some Jeni’s

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived