IGNORED

Dillards 73: A Bitter Dill

Jellybean

@Fun Undies

“Thinking I was totes adorbs, I shared a video of some actors who were doing what I *thought* was a MN accent, and talking about the cold weather.  Show it to my (then boyfriend), and he rolls his eyes, and says, "That's Canada babe."  And I was like, "What?  Wait, there's a difference between the two accents??" . . . I mean after 10 years in Minnesota, I can definitely tell now, but yeah, I'm lucky my man was patient with my regional ignorance ”

Minnesotan here.   You have to live here to really “do” the accent.  It is very subtle.  I can spot those fake accents in a second.  Lol

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Blessings of the Corn said:

that's like when I tell people I'm from Washington. First I have to clarify that I mean Washington State, and then they just assume I mean Seattle. Sometimes it's easier to say Seattle even though I'm about an hour + north.

*waves*  Hi fellow Seattle neighbor! I so agree with you! I've had to clarify so many times what I mean by WA!

13 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:

Straight east. Good old Madison County. 

Me tooo.  I live in good old Jefferson County, IL now.  

I cannot remember when we learned about the Holocaust. I know we read Night - and I think that was pre-grade 6? But I honestly don't know... 

I have always felt like my history classes (in as a History Minor in university) never got past WW2. We'd spend a ridiculous amount of time on The Civil War (in part because in one school - we were just outside of DC in MD so it made sense from a local history perspective and then when we moved to MI - my teacher was a CW re-enactor - so ... TONS of time there). But even still - we never got much past WW2 and I think that stinks.

I took a Holocaust Literature class in high school- it was a one semester elective and we exclusively read memoirs and texts from survivors. One of the ones that really stuck with me is called All But My Life, by Gerda Weissmann Klein if anyone is interested in something other than Night or Diary of Anne Frank. It was part of the inspiration for the HBO documentary One Survivor Remembers, and it's completely heartbreaking.

@Meggo I have a BA in History, and it is true that most classes don't go really past 1945. I had a professor explain that we need to let time pass so that we can see more clearly the impacts of events for some years after- he said that things aren't considered "history" until it's been about fifty years. I don't know that I totally agree with it, but that's one explanation.

AP US History goes "up to" Vietnam, and then sort of into the Cold War.

My school had an elective called "America is '45" that was an awesome class. Still, mostly just went more in depth about everything up to and including the Cold War.

I graduated in 2012 and anything that happened under George H. Bush/ Clinton/ Gulf War is not covered in school. Some teachers threw in anecdotes, short movies, etc but it was not a focus and not tested. 

One of my pet peeves in when I see memes/articles written that say "Why weren't we taught x, y z." I get very annoyed because most likely you were, but didn't pay attention/thought history class was boring OR you didn't like reading historical fiction and lost out on a ton of books that would have expanded your mind and taught so much auxiliary history topics! I try to be more understanding now that I know some parts of the US truly have horrible history classes. 

23 minutes ago, kmachete14 said:

I graduated in 2012 and anything that happened under George H. Bush/ Clinton/ Gulf War is not covered in school. Some teachers threw in anecdotes, short movies, etc but it was not a focus and not tested. 

My daughter is in 9th grade and will probably be taking AP or IB history next year. I find it odd that they won't be teaching past Bush 1. I'd thinking teaching about the the 2000, 2008 and 2016 would be especially important. 2000 was almost 20 years ago one would think newer history books could have been written since then.

@onekidanddone I think teachers would LIKE to teach this stuff but it honestly takes soooo long to teach American history in depth. Like we spent almost 3 months on the Civil Rights Movement, since we were looking at way more than just "MLK and Rosa Parks are heroes!" Not to mention that same time period you have to teach second wave feminism, counter culture, the seeds of Vietnam, and all the rest I now forget. 

I mean some people go four years in college just studying a 15-year time period!! And AP/IB students are expected to/usually want to learn everything in depth. 

I would think that eventually US history would have to be split into 2 classes. AP Euro and Ancient History teach everything in one class, but since so much time has passed . . . no one cares if you generalize an entire century into one lesson. 

I’m trying to think back to my first-go-around at college. (I definitely didn’t take any post-1950 classes in my more recent go-around).  I did take a class on modern Latin American history which went up to the current time period (in 2003, lol). I also took a class on post-WII Russian history, and two classes on the civil rights movement. So they were offered, it just depended on what your focus was. 

I was in high school from 2004-2008 and did the full IB diploma program, which I felt was pretty comprehensive in terms of history. I recall the majority of my Holocaust education being from Hebrew school though and I know it was taught in my public school, but I just can't remember to what extent.

One of the first classes I took in college was History of Eastern Central Europe, and we talked in great detail about the collapse of the Soviet Union, and several of those new countries' paths to becoming part of the EU (I couldn't believe how recent some of that was!) This was honestly the first time I learned about the division of Germany and the Berlin wall and its collapse. I feel like most of our American history from elementary school through high school covered through Kennedy's assassination and LBJ taking over, but still didn't really get to the Vietnam War so much.

History is probably the most undervalued and badly taught subjects. This needs to change. History tells us where we've been and sets the stage for our future.

This was on my Facebook and what a difference.  Jill looks excited about life and her eyes look alive.  FU Derick, marriage to scum like you is not healthy for women. 

Spoiler

B8715BE0-A068-4756-B52D-2B6BA46F20FD.jpeg.53d152d8057200631644db29adcad4a5.jpeg

44 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I was in high school from 2004-2008 and did the full IB diploma program, which I felt was pretty comprehensive in terms of history. I recall the majority of my Holocaust education being from Hebrew school though and I know it was taught in my public school, but I just can't remember to what extent.

One of the first classes I took in college was History of Eastern Central Europe, and we talked in great detail about the collapse of the Soviet Union, and several of those new countries' paths to becoming part of the EU (I couldn't believe how recent some of that was!) This was honestly the first time I learned about the division of Germany and the Berlin wall and its collapse. I feel like most of our American history from elementary school through high school covered through Kennedy's assassination and LBJ taking over, but still didn't really get to the Vietnam War so much.

I took a similar class - Intro to Russia & Eastern Europe. Wish I could remember ANY of it. 

I think even having a class that covered 1945 and beyond - even from a perspective of "We haven't processed this information fully - but here are news articles about the Korean War - here are the basics, when it was, who was involved. Here is the Vietnam war - and the details" -- so much of that was missing in my world. And I do read a lot and am fascinated by it - but I still feel like somewhere along the line - I missed out. 

I've started reading about Watergate recently because of recent events. And I was remembering back to the Iran-Contra affair and being so annoyed it was on every channel one summer(?) and then thinking about how glued to the Kavanaugh Debacle I was recently... 

I wonder if I could go back for a post 1945 history class...

My AP US History teacher was the only one at my high school who taught past WWII.  I don't remember where we stopped, but we definitely learned about Bill Clinton.  That ended up working to our favor because one of the free response questions on the AP exam was about Nixon.  The students who had other APUSH teachers were pretty angry walking out of that exam.  

I also got to take a class in undergrad that focused on post-WWII Eastern Europe!  History isn't my strong suit at all, but it was an incredibly interesting class and refreshing to learn about something new.  We got to do things like read Solzhenitsyn and learn about the Orange Revolution.  

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:59 PM, Bad Wolf said:

Back before the dinosaurs, Perry Como sang a song called "What did Delaware?" I currently live in northern Nevada, formerly from Connecticut and California. Life is good here. Don't tell anyone.

I'm putting that in the vault.  (Seinfeld reference)

Born and raised in northern California and while I truly love living here, it's going to be too expensive when I retire.  So I'm scoping out other states.

20 minutes ago, potato said:

My AP US History teacher was the only one at my high school who taught past WWII.  I don't remember where we stopped, but we definitely learned about Bill Clinton.  That ended up working to our favor because one of the free response questions on the AP exam was about Nixon.  The students who had other APUSH teachers were pretty angry walking out of that exam.  

We only learned through WWII in my AP US class, and even that was a bit rushed since we had all been learning about that in bits and pieces throughout our other classes (History and English since about 5th grade). My AP US teacher explained that he had never really seen questions more modern than that in a decade of teaching the class, other than a one-off that wouldn't really affect our scores if we were strong in more important areas. I will never forget the look on his face when we told him there were multiple questions about Clinton, the Vietnam War, the Civil Rights movement, Nixon, etc. He was hands down the best teacher I have ever had, even at the college level, and none of us wanted to tell him... we knew he would feel like he failed us. When he asked how it went and someone broke it to him that we had so many modern questions, he got tears in his eyes. His class usually had about 40% of the students get 4's or 5's on their exams... that year we had two people out of 20 get 4's, and no 5's. The same group of us were in other AP classes at the time and were on par with the typical scores at my school, so I promise we weren't dumb! haha

To this day, I couldn't care less about not doing well on that exam. But if i could change how upset he was, I would do it in a heartbeat. He just kept repeating, "I'm so sorry," for about 5 minutes. 

16 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

I lived in New Jersey for 11 years, first on the shore

i spent every summer until about '97 in Somer's Point/Ocean City. hubs spent his summers in Stone Harbor. obviously his grandparents were richer than mine ?

7 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

i spent every summer until about '97 in Somer's Point/Ocean City. hubs spent his summers in Stone Harbor. obviously his grandparents were richer than mine ?

Hah, of course mostly that just means slightly different snacks, and fancier places to change. ?

We lived in a very wealthy area during our shore years, up at the other end, but were just renting, so, to paraphrase some people, "in the community but not of the community." We never joined a beach club; I just got a national park pass so we could do most of our beach days on Sandy Hook. 

1 hour ago, RosyDaisy said:

History is probably the most undervalued and badly taught subjects. This needs to change. History tells us where we've been and sets the stage for our future.

I agree. At least through my schools. I love history but we basically learned the same stuff year after year. The American Revolution, Civil War, WWII anything else was up to the teacher.  World history was well English history, then 13 colonies, American Revolution, Civil War and WWII. Only once did we get something different in world history and learned about the French Revolution. My best friend who loved history too we always ended up going off on our own and look up stuff because we wanted to learn something new. That's how we both ended up learning about the War of 1812. How many kids are going to stay awake to learn about the Civil War for the third time? Or the fifth? Or possibly even longer if you learned that stuff in elementary school.

The one thing my middle school did every year for the 8th grade there was a six week study on the Holocaust. It was English, history and one more class that I don't remember which. The camps, the different countries, start to end, Anne Frank, watched documentaries, a few names of those who helped saving Jews. In the beginning they passed out a plastic bracelet you had to wear the entire six weeks that had a name of a victim and at the end of the six weeks there was an assembly where they just called names to go up on stage and those were who died and you got to see how few remained and it ended with watching Schindler's List. Since then I've read so many different books and biographies and the war. Its just so big and so much going on and going on everywhere.

History is like every other subject some people just aren't going to be interested and some are. I got interested in history starting it middle school so did my best friend. Some times were reading all up on the American Revolution and other times we're both heavily interested in Ancient Rome and Greece. Egypt. Other times China with its different periods. Then its the War of 1812, Native American tribes, then its France or Russia. There's just so many cool places in the world with fascinating peoples and fascinating history.

3 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

@onekidanddone I think teachers would LIKE to teach this stuff but it honestly takes soooo long to teach American history in depth. Like we spent almost 3 months on the Civil Rights Movement, since we were looking at way more than just "MLK and Rosa Parks are heroes!" Not to mention that same time period you have to teach second wave feminism, counter culture, the seeds of Vietnam, and all the rest I now forget. 

I mean some people go four years in college just studying a 15-year time period!! And AP/IB students are expected to/usually want to learn everything in depth. 

I would think that eventually US history would have to be split into 2 classes. AP Euro and Ancient History teach everything in one class, but since so much time has passed . . . no one cares if you generalize an entire century into one lesson. 

I get it now, thanks for the clarification. ?

My daughter's school does offer some specialized history classes like Latin American History, Modern and Ancient World History, and African American History along with Government classes.

@Ms. Brightside my teacher was the opposite . . . we all thought she had some sort of "in" with the AP Board . . . literally spent a month on Nixon right before the test which had the essay on Nixon!! We were all high fiving in the test room! 

On 1/30/2019 at 1:14 PM, Meggo said:

I'd wave but it's too damn COLD!!! Brrrrr

State of Emergency in Michigan, schools closed, post office not delivering mail. 
Across the border - schools are going, BUSES are going, no one has said a peep about the mail.

Hahah state of emergency in the US, but in Canada, well it's just Wednesday. My friend in Fort McMurrary sent me a text that it was -35 with a windchill make it -43. Alberta is crazy. 

I teach freshmen modern world history at a rural Ohio school and we start with the Enlightenment & Scientific Revolution and end with modern world issues. I try to give each segment as deep and fair a treatment as the next, but we definitely spend more time with WWI-present than enlightenment, scientific revolution, French Rev., etc. 

World history is not a state tested subject in Ohio so as long as I'm doing my part and following the ODE learning standards I don't have much to worry about, so I try to make sure I focus on the parts of history other tested subjects don't have as much time or requirements for (WWI, Cold War, present issues) because they matter and kids should know.

Just wanted to throw my two-cents in.

Here are a couple of other Delaware songs:

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Yessss.. I went to college for History Education and for one of our classes, we spent three weeks in a lower-income school. I was speaking with the teacher and she told me that from February-April she no longer was a history teacher but was an english teacher because of standardized testing. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived