IGNORED

Seewalds 37: Yes, Jessa is Pregnant

Jellybean

30 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Thanks FJ I was today years old when I learned that there is such a thing as oilcloth.   Am I the only one who has ever heard of this? 

I've never heard of it, but the word sounds gross, lol. I don't know how it would help get crumbs out of cracks, either. She needs a brush or some canned air. 

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I've never heard of it, but the word sounds gross, lol. I don't know how it would help get crumbs out of cracks, either. She needs a brush or some canned air. 

No, you put a tablecloth made of oilcloth on the table so that you don’t get crumbs in the cracks in the first place. Oilcloth is an old-fashioned word for a vinyl tablecloth.

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

No, you put a tablecloth made of oilcloth on the table so that you don’t get crumbs in the cracks in the first place. Oilcloth is an old-fashioned word for a vinyl tablecloth.

Not exactly. the "plastic" part of oilcloth is made from... petroleum products. It does, however, have a fabric base, which vinyl does not. I love oilcloth. It's much more fluid than vinyl and it doesn't show water marks the way vinyl will if you don't wipe it dry.

11 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Not exactly. the "plastic" part of oilcloth is made from... petroleum products. It does, however, have a fabric base, which vinyl does not. I love oilcloth. It's much more fluid than vinyl and it doesn't show water marks the way vinyl will if you don't wipe it dry.

The tablecloths I’m thinking of do have a fabric base, but I’ve always heard them called “vinyl” for the plastic layer on top. Here’s an example: https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/durable-vinyl-tablecloth/product/66533

Vermont Country Store also sells an oilcloth tablecloth, which actually looks more vinyl-like to me: https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/heavy-duty-oilcloth-tablecloth/product/55098 

Oilcloth was more common in the olden days, like linoleum. It's just something that can be used to make a tablecloth, which will stop crumbs from getting in cracks. Any tablecloth will do.

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Ok, I clicked the links and it showed some table cloths and I was like what?  This make so much more sense,  I had never heard it called that before, I thought it was a type of rag used to really clean hard to reach places, and with as asinine as my mother is with everything being spotless, I'm sure she would have known about this and insisted we use it all the time. 

9 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Spurgeon eating seaweed. 

That is cute, and it is nice to see them eating something healthy (ish) but I'm with Jessa on this, I can't stand seaweed. it tastes exactly like you think it will. 

34 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Ok, I clicked the links and it showed some table cloths and I was like what?  This make so much more sense,  I had never heard it called that before, I thought it was a type of rag used to really clean hard to reach places, and with as asinine as my mother is with everything being spotless, I'm sure she would have known about this and insisted we use it all the time. 

I didn't click the links, but I thought the same thing. Plus it just sounded like an oil soaked cloth used to, idk, rub over the crumbs. 

Just now, AtlanticTug said:

I like dried seaweed but find almost every brand to be way too salty.

I agree. Still, I will give Jessa props for having it in the house. Many of her siblings (and certainly her father) probably wouldn't touch seaweed without saying something stupid and vaguely racist. Same with many of the Bates.

Where I live those tablecloths are usually used for outdoor picnics, or on grandma's kitchen table. It reminds me of milk and cookies at my nan's as a kid, and picnics. ❤️

Ok, but I wouldn't have purchased a beautiful wooden table if I wanted to look at an oilcloth! :my_biggrin: 

I will keep my tabletop bare and complain about the crumbs until someone invents something invisible and food-safe to fill in the cracks with. And none of you practical people can stop me!

ETA: Will this be the new crunchy vs. smooth peanut butter?!

Using placemats will help contain the crumbs, or a runner placed over the crack? I enjoy my tables bare but I don't have little ones anymore.

6 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

I like dried seaweed but find almost every brand to be way too salty.

I have eaten seaweed, although involuntarily while frolicking at the beach.   Seaweed does taste better than sand, lol.

My kids devour dried seaweed every time we buy it. I think it okay, but could take it or leave it. I do like wakame seaweed in miso soup or ramen though. 

My kids are getting older but I still use a table cloth most of the time. If I know we are having people over I take it off, unless it is one our friends that has young kids/toddlers. 

1 hour ago, Ms. Brightside said:

Ok, but I wouldn't have purchased a beautiful wooden table if I wanted to look at an oilcloth! :my_biggrin: 

I will keep my tabletop bare and complain about the crumbs until someone invents something invisible and food-safe to fill in the cracks with. And none of you practical people can stop me!

I use a bank type card to get into the cracks. I don’t like keeping my table covered, either.

I can’t stand tablecloths, just something else to wash. And I’ve honestly never understood the vinyl placemats. You have to remove them from the table to dump crumbs and clean them, yet still have to wipe down the table. Double work. 

We had an oilcloth growing up, until my mom got a stainless steel dining table.  I think it's her prized possession.

8 hours ago, Ms. Brightside said:

ETA: Will this be the new crunchy vs. smooth peanut butter?!

You can get a transparent colourless oilcloth, that way you can look at both the oilcloth and the table at the same time 

A good way to clean little cracks. post it notes. put the sticky edge on or in the cracks and drag, works like a charm. You'll need several post its depending on the size of the mess. 

We have a beautiful wooden table in our dining room, but it is covered with a tablecloth because Mr. S. is used to tablecloth and it is a table he inherited from his parents, so I decided he can decide in whether we use tablecloth or not. Sometimes we will eat on the blank wooden table, but only on rare occasions, like when we ate like drunken dinosaurs and all the tablecloths are stained and in the washing-cycle. I like the look of the table but Mr. S. is afraid of scratches on it, so he wants his tablecloth. I told him that some little scratches won't ruin the table and that I furthermore think that it would suit the table and give it some character, but I will respect his wish. But our table has no cracks in it for crumbles. If it had, I might be a huge fan of our tablecloth. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived