IGNORED

Dolly Parton and fundies

DarkAnts

On 1/9/2019 at 2:35 AM, Hane said:

I remember seeing Dolly with Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin as presenters on an award show (the Tonys? Can’t remember) doing a presentation (of the Broadway musical “9 to 5,” I think).  Jane and Lily were wisecracking about the current administration, but Dolly was hanging back and looking downright uncomfortable. It gave me the very strong impression that, although she may not personally be racist or homophobic, from a political perspective she doesn’t want to rock the boat with a certain element of her fan base by appearing too “liberal.”

There was speculation years ago, after she recorded an album of 1960's/protest song covers during the Iraq war, that she might have somewhat liberal views. Or that she was, at least, against the Bush/Cheney war machine, but was too afraid of losing her career, ala the Dixie Chicks, to take a public stand against it.

https://www.salon.com/2005/08/19/parton_2/

I suspect that was true then, and even truer now, in the Trump era.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was unaware of the Dixie Stampede's existence, so I have been learning as I read this thread.

I will say that the opening number in the video posted earlier bothered me. It had nothing to do with glorifying the South -- I assume that comes later in the production. Both northern and southern songs were played, the choreography favored neither side.

But portraying any war that way would bother me. War is not a fun romp.

Archived