IGNORED

Dolly Parton and fundies

DarkAnts

I never paid much attention to Dolly Parton before.  I don’t listen to country music. I liked her because she sends free books to kids but that’s all I knew about her. One of my friends suggested I watch Dumplin on Netflix. I watched it. It’s a cute movie that is a tribute to Dolly’s love, compassion, and acceptance of everyone. She is a big supporter of the LGBTQ community.

Anyway, the Duggars and Bates have been to Dolly Land at least once. Both families have said great things about Dolly Land. I am surprised that they don’t know about Dolly’s support of LGBTQ. I figured that would be a deal breaker for them visiting the park.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dolly also doesn’t dress modestly at all. When they met Dolly, I was surprised one of the sisters didn’t yell NIKE! I believe Jordyn was a baby and just loved Dolly. 

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Dolly also doesn’t dress modestly at all. When they met Dolly, I was surprised one of the sisters didn’t yell NIKE! I believe Jordyn was a baby and just loved Dolly. 

IIRC, Dolly joked about kidnapping Jordyn, who seemed happy at the thought. I also recall Josh’s eyes falling into a certain cleavage trap, with Anna right beside him. 

@DarkAnts I’m the same — never really into country, but had a generally positive feeling towards Dolly. I loved Dumplin and the more I discover about Dolly, the more I like her.

my parents were never fond of country, so for a along time i mostly knew her as an actress rather than a singer.  and i always liked her.

She played a madame, and was still doing some jobs herself, in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas,  I love how these people just slide over the details, if you have enough, white country charm. Lol

I love Dolly!

The Dixie Stampede. That is why they love her. Dolly, for all her good qualities created and runs an extremely racist dinner show that harkens back to the "good old days" that fundies seem to love. In this dinner show the South can win the war. They have made some minor attempts to remove the blatant racism by taking out things like "Southern only" doors. But the show is still about the North fighting the South and the South can win the war. 

That, IMO, is why the love her. She helps sugar coat and normalize their love for the racist Old South. The Bates wanted one of their sons to work in the Dixie Stampede! 

Here is the old opening act. They just now say North and South, which doesn't make it any better, but you can see why fundies would love it. 

Spoiler

The old bathroom door. Notice the Southern Only signs are light while the Northern ones are darker. 

Spoiler

04dbb7c3-204a-407f-845a-74d346233756.jpg

The Southern Belle part. 

It is really not surprising fundies love her because of this. Even fundies who don't live in the South often times glorify the Confederacy. 

I watched Dumplin last week.  I loved it!  In a " why can't life be like this" way.  The drag queens helping out, love, love, love.  The goth-y girl, loved her.  I do like me some Dolly.  I know nothing about her amusement park.  Really bummed to hear the racist shit going on there.  Wtf?

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I was also very surprised that they weren't cowering in fear of Dolly's dress.

Dolly loved Jordan and said she wanted to take her home. I wish she did...

Regarding the Northeners/Southerners signs on the door - that would have totally gone over my head.  I would have completely missed the nuances in that.  Which I usually see them, but I honestly think I would have completely missed it that time.

4 minutes ago, Briefly said:

Regarding the Northeners/Southerners signs on the door - that would have totally gone over my head.  I would have completely missed the nuances in that.  Which I usually see them, but I honestly think I would have completely missed it that time.

I don't get it.

Just now, SilverBeach said:

I don't get it.

The show has been changed to be less obviously racist.  Blacks Only signs on the restrooms and water fountains in Jim Crow times, for example - the signs are darker for Northerners and lighter for Southerners.  As in Northerners = not good, Southerners = good.  I'm not sure if I'm explaining it correctly.

Just now, Briefly said:

The show has been changed to be less obviously racist.  Blacks Only signs on the restrooms and water fountains in Jim Crow times, for example - the signs are darker for Northerners and lighter for Southerners.  As in Northerners = not good, Southerners = good.  I'm not sure if I'm explaining it correctly.

I know all about Jim Crow, but blacks were hardly considered northerners. Maybe the insinuation is that northerners are evil, hence the black sign. Kind of what you are saying. Silly. I wouldn't step foot in Dixie Stampede. I wouldn't have pegged Dolly Parton as racist, but you never know.

Just now, SilverBeach said:

I know all about Jim Crow, but blacks were hardly considered northerners. Maybe the insinuation is that northerners are evil, hence the black sign. Kind of what you are saying. Silly. I wouldn't step foot in Dixie Stampede. I wouldn't have pegged Dolly Parton as racist, but you never know.

Yes, the insinuation is that Northerners are evil.  Which I was attempting say but failing miserably at!  Stupid TBI word issues.

Just now, Briefly said:

Yes, the insinuation is that Northerners are evil.  Which I was attempting say but failing miserably at!  Stupid TBI word issues.

You stated it just fine. I just find having northern and southern bathroom signs ridiculous.

I'm not a fan of country music but  I am a fan of Dolly. She seems so  kind and nice and I get the feeling that she genuinely likes being with people. Who - fundies or non fundies, wouldn't want to bask in that warmth? 

My mom likes country, and had the 8-track(!)of the album with “Here You Come Again”(and I remember when that song, as well as “9 To 5” crossed over onto the pop charts).

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

You stated it just fine. I just find having northern and southern bathroom signs ridiculous.

The whole Dixie Stampede is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

Especially since people from all over the country would go there. Where are the Midwesterners supposed to pee? 

So, I need some clarification.  Dolly is pretty fabulous and she supports LGBT friends.  Is it the love of the old south shows that seem racist because the park really is geared twords that thinking or just southern history in general being acted out in any way gets deemed racist because slavery was actually happening at that time (and there is nothing glorious about it) and Dolly owns this theme park?  Is it where racists can go to feel good about our American history?  For real? On purpose by Dolly? Does that out Dolly as a racist?  Sorry, I'm a Northerner big time.  

6 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Especially since people from all over the country would go there. Where are the Midwesterners supposed to pee? 

So, I need some clarification.  Dolly is pretty fabulous and she supports LGBT friends.  Is it the love of the old south shows that seem racist because the park really is geared twords that thinking or just southern history in general being acted out in any way gets deemed racist because slavery was actually happening at that time (and there is nothing glorious about it) and Dolly owns this theme park?  Is it where racists can go to feel good about our American history?  For real? On purpose by Dolly? Does that out Dolly as a racist?  Sorry, I'm a Northerner big time.  

Interesting question. I don't think, for example, that reenactments of the Civil War are necessarily racist, but I feel strong dislike for the Dixie Stampede because it presents the Civil War as a cornpone "patriotic" humor show with NO mention of slavery whatsoever. The South is (or was) presented as a land of plenty, with beautiful white belles and gallant white men with a code of honor. Add to that a 99% white cast and audience, throw in some occasional appropriation and misrepresentation of Native American culture, and a North/South contest to see who "wins the war," and the whole thing starts feeling extremely gross.

I don't know if Dolly is a racist. I know the Stampede is most likely making her a shit ton of money, and, well, money talks.

I feel much the same way about wild west and pioneer shows.  I guess every region of the US pretty much has its white washed feel good while ignoring genocide and and lying about the past entertainment venues.

I was just looking up some info about the Stampede on Wikipedia.  It's not wholly owned by Dolly and is now just called the Dolly Parton Stampede.  The other owner is Hershend Family Enterprises.  It is quite possible that Dolly's never thought about what the show says, much like some Southerners never thought about Confederate monuments until recently.  Maybe she's not "woke" on the issue and maybe she needs to be enlightened about why the show is offensive.  

I've never been as that crap isn't something I enjoy.  I don't like Medieval Times much either.  It's offensive to me as someone who knows a bit about the history of the Middle Ages.

5 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I was just looking up some info about the Stampede on Wikipedia.  It's not wholly owned by Dolly and is now just called the Dolly Parton Stampede.  The other owner is Hershend Family Enterprises.  It is quite possible that Dolly's never thought about what the show says, much like some Southerners never thought about Confederate monuments until recently.  Maybe she's not "woke" on the issue and maybe she needs to be enlightened about why the show is offensive.  

I've never been as that crap isn't something I enjoy.  I don't like Medieval Times much either.  It's offensive to me as someone who knows a bit about the history of the Middle Ages.

It’s possible she hasn’t thought much about it, she probably never had to think about things like this. She’s a wealthy southern woman who grew up with Jim Crow Laws. 

I went to a sort of Medieval themed dinner at a castle in Europe once. The servers outfits had zippers and they wore bright colors like purple and red. NO!

Oh yeah, something else: when word got out that "Dixie" was being removed from the title, a lot of Bransonites and tourists threw an absolute shitfit over it. So you have to wonder exactly what that word means, for people to get so worked up over it that they'll vow never to return and say things like "America is losing its values," etc. Reallllly? 

@PennySycamore Herschend Family Enterprises owns Silver Dollar City and also owns Dollywood jointly with Dolly Parton. The Herschend family and Dolly  have been intertwined for a long time. Also I'm afraid you can't be offended by Medieval Times unless you were born in the 1300s. (I'm messing with you :my_biggrin:).

I've never been to that kinda show either.  We had a restoration town near where I grew up and that was a sometime in the 1800's town where us elementary kids got to learn about blacksmithing,  lumber cutting and for a few hours we split up based on boys/girls. So we would learn what each sex did during the day. The boys cut wood and something else and us girls learned to preserve meat with salt and cook a basic meat and potatoes meal to feed the hungry boys, I think laun.  It was super fun!  They did a good job and I have zero sexist feelings about it. That was what life was like back then. We earned some pennies for our work and went to the general store to buy penny candy.  It focused on basic life not any conflict.  Growing up on LI, you get educated in Native American history pretty well.  They go there.  Most towns are Native words. Artifacts are everywhere and common in the soil and at the beach .  History is very present there like that.  

Archived