IGNORED

Lori Alexander 59: The Oracle of California

@delphinium65 Yep, Lori is full of shit. This article doesn't attempt percentages but acknowledges that because there were so many small regional and local groups it is hard to come up with a number of women involved in the movement. Compounding that, it was 72 years from the beginning at Seneca Falls to the ratification of the 19th Amendment. So numbers of women involved and supporting the movement would have been changing constantly. 

Link: http://oxfordre.com/americanhistory/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780199329175.001.0001/acrefore-9780199329175-e-17

The article Lori refers to is an opinion piece and the statistic provided is not based on polling women as to whether they'd like to vote but rather based on how many actually voted in a referendum they were allowed to vote in not in 1903 when the piece was published but in 1895. However, any historian with an ounce of college credit (I have more than an ounce!) would acknowledge that women not voting in that referendum would have had multiple reasons and not every single one would be that they disapproved of full female suffrage. Many may have been highly discouraged or even not allowed to by husbands or fathers--a very real factor in the time period. Others that the author counts in the population may not have been eligible (he doesn't break down the population at all or tell us which women were eligible to vote on the referendum). Some may not have had access for other reasons. On top of that, it is only one isolated time and place--eight years before the author cherry picked the statistic to prove his point. 

Link to original article: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1903/09/why-women-do-not-wish-the-suffrage/306616/

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Lori, Lori.

Every time you wade into the shallows of history to back up your opinions, you prove your own point that you didn't learn anything in college. I realize you don't see that as a disqualifier, but some of us work in fields where we have to do stuff like back up statements, acknowledge context, and distinguish between anecdotes and statistical proof.

As it happens, I've been working on an essay about a women suffrage campaign in my state in the 1860s and '70s.  I think it gives a feel for some of the actual people who fought for this cause. Here's an excerpt for anyone who likes this kind of thing. (I have removed the citations, but I promise every quote has a specific citation and every stated fact has a reliable source. If I don't nail it down, it doesn't get published and I don't get paid.)

Spoiler

Mary Brown credited territorial legislator Edward Eldridge with the first official impetus to give women the vote in Washington. "At the session of 1867, mainly through the efforts of Edward Eldridge of Whatcom county, an act was passed giving 'all white American citizens above the age of twenty-one years' the right to vote."

Eldridge said he had purposely left out the word "male" in order to open the vote to women, and Brown felt a duty of follow up. She wrote to women around the territory and urged them to vote in the next election, but "I was looked upon as a fanatic and the idea of a woman voting was regarded as an absurdity. The law seemed to be in advance of the people." Brown persevered, bolstered by the support of her husband, who told neighbors that he believed she had as much right to vote as he did.

She decided to test the matter herself and attempt to vote in the 1869, a stance she publicized in essays and letters. "A fearful hue and cry was raised," she wrote. "Some of the papers deprecated the idea that 'a woman should unsex herself by dabbling in the filthy pool of politics.' But I was fully committed. The law had been on our statute books for nearly three years. If it was intended for our benefit, it was time we were availing ourselves of it. Her experience at the schoolhouse voting place was anticlimactic.

"After watching the sovereign 'white male citizen' perform the laborious task of depositing his vote in the ballot-box, I thought if I braced myself up I might be equal to the task. So, summoning all my strength, I walked up to the desk behind which sat the august officers of election, and presented my vote. When behold! I was pompously met with the assertion, 'You are not an American citizen; hence not entitled to vote.' The great unabridged dictionary of Noah Webster was opened, and the definition of the word citizen read to me. ... Waiting a moment, I said, 'The definition is correct. A citizen of the United States, is a person owing allegiance to the government; but then all persons are not men; and the definition of citizeness is a female citizen. I claim to be an American citizen, and a native-born citizen at that; and I wish to show you from the fourteenth amendment to the constitution of the United States, that women are not only citizens having the constitutional right to vote, but also that our territorial election law gives women the privilege of exercising that right.'"

Brown was denied despite her analysis. However, her sister and fellow activist, Charlotte French, continued the campaign the next year at her Grand Mound precinct north of Centralia.

"My sister ... began talking the matter up," Brown wrote.

"And, being a woman of energy and influence, she soon had the whole neighborhood interested. With the assistance of an old lady, Mrs. Peck, she planned a regular campaign. By the programme the women were to get up a picnic dinner at the schoolhouse where the election was to be held, and directly after, while the officers of election were in good humor (wives will understand the philosophy of this), they were to present their votes."

After the meal and an accompanying conversation about the 14th Amendment, "the judges, as well as everyone else, were in the best of spirits." French cast her ballot without a protest, followed by six more women, including a 72-year-old Mrs. Sargent, who "said she thanked the Lord that he had let her live until she could vote"  

Women at the Black River precinct at Littlerock, about five miles north, had sent a supporter to Grand Mound on horseback. Once the votes were accepted he galloped back with the news. "The moment the man rode in sight of the school-house he swung his hat, and screeched at the top of his voice, '"They're voting! They're voting!' Brown wrote. "The teams were all ready in anticipation of the news, and were instantly flying in every direction, and soon the women were ushered into the school-house, their choice of tickets furnished them, and all allowed to vote as 'American citizens.'"  

The next year, the territorial legislature voted to deny Washington women the vote until the U.S. Congress approved it nationally, although "tax-paying women" were permitted to vote in school elections after 1877. Women won the right to vote in Washington Territory in 1883, but it was again rescinded by the Territorial Supreme Court in 1888. Women of Washington did not regain the vote until 1910, another 40 years after Brown, French, and their compatriots had paved the way, but still 10 years ahead of the U.S. 19th Amendment.

Is anyone calling her out for the Republican party being the first to embrace women's suffrage, with it as part of it's platform since it's founding?

Hasn't Lori used this argument before, or something very similar, to excuse her insistence on voting despite her claims that women shouldn't vote?  

lorivote.jpg

19 minutes ago, delphinium65 said:

Hasn't Lori used this argument before, or something very similar, to excuse her insistence on voting despite her claims that women shouldn't vote?  

lorivote.jpg

so it's "unbelieving women" who are the problem? Her hatred for women knows no bounds. 

...she does not wish to assume the responsibility for protecting person and property which is the essence of government. 

This is a quote from Lori's women's suffrage post.  The day after Christmas, and she wants to remind women how useless their vote is.  How sad.

Back to the quote.  This insinuates that a woman doesn't want any responsibility for protecting person and property.  The speaker assumes this is the essence of government.  The speaker is correct: for Christians (believers in the Word of God; Jesus Christ), it is written that unto us a child is given...and the GOVERNMENT shall be upon His shoulders.

Government means "dominion or rule".  For a believer, in Christ, the dominion or rule (the government) is on THEIR shoulders.  All Christians, male or female, should rule and exercise dominion. They should do this in part by voting their conscience in all elections.

They should also exercise this government (dominion or rule) by protecting person and property.

The fact that Lori and Ken believe this lie ("She does not wish to assume the responsibility for protecting person and property which is the essence of government") tells me that they believe women DO NOT POSSESS God-given dominion (government) as given by God to male and female in Genesis 1:26.  No matter what else Lori and Ken may have written, the fact that they have made government a masculine function and masculine word (EXCLUSIVELY), tells me that they do not believe two things:

1)God gave dominion (government) equally to women as He did to men in Genesis.

2)In Christ, men and women equally carry His government on this earth.

This is one of the biggest reasons that the fangirls with abusive husbands have refused to stand up to their abusive men: they believe they don't have any "government" (authority/rule/dominion) and that it's been given solely to men.

THIS IS WHY LORI'S TEACHINGS ARE POISON.

Bottom line: Lori/Ken seem threatened (because the principalities/religious spirits behind the lies they have believed ARE threatened) by women who exercise GOVERNMENT (DOMINION/RULE).

THAT is  a real problem in the Kingdom, since that is what ALL believers will be doing according to the Bible, when the fullness of the Kingdom is here.

I'm not sure she knows what she is saying, or what she really is professing to believe.  I'm not sure she's read the Bible, since it says exactly the opposite of what she is saying now.

Lori is tornadoing haphazardly through Scripture today.  For someone who is supposedly Christian, she ignores any thoughts on Christ's birth to focus on what she obviously deems more important. 

In this season when most true Christians spend moments of joyful reflection upon the incarnation of Jesus, Lori sends a message today that this is what she believes Christ came to earth to bring to women:

1.  Christ came to earth as a human so that women would not have a voice in the public sphere - (no voting) 

2.  Christ came to earth as a human so that women would not have any financial choice - (it's always his money)

3. Christ came to earth so that women would not be able to speak openly and truthfully within their marriages.

Once again, I'd like to ask:  Lori - what makes you call yourself a Christian? 

Remind Lori that RBG worked by phone from her hospital bed after surgery - Lori couldn't figure out how to leave her house during an evacuation.  

Did anyone catch Sean's comments in her voting post. He says racism in the past wasn't a big deal because 'overall' people got on better than we do today. 

Screenshot_20181226-201549__01.jpg

Stupid Lori, yes things were much better "back then."  I just read about Queen Anne of Great Britain.  She had 17 pregnancies.  Miscarriages, stillbirths, and those that did survive, died of disease.  Since she was royalty, she had physicians and caretakers.  Imagine what life was like for a peasant woman living in a hovel in London at the same time.  I'm sure it was all joy and worshipful praise of her headship husband as she tidied their rat-ridden shack.  She gave birth on a straw mattress filled with vermin.  

Lori, read a book or two or even a real Internet research blog and find out what reality was like instead of your romantic version of women in sweeping gowns cheerfully tidying their clean little home and baking wonderful treats for their angelic children.  Your ignorance goes beyond all measure.  Your sanitized version of what things were like "back then" doesn't exist except in your warped little brain.  

She is really, really sick when it comes to eating. She still thinks she overeats and eats too much and that God gave her acid reflux to make sure she eats less. ?

2 hours ago, wallysmommy said:

Stupid Lori, yes things were much better "back then."  I just read about Queen Anne of Great Britain.  She had 17 pregnancies.  Miscarriages, stillbirths, and those that did survive, died of disease.  Since she was royalty, she had physicians and caretakers.  Imagine what life was like for a peasant woman living in a hovel in London at the same time.  I'm sure it was all joy and worshipful praise of her headship husband as she tidied their rat-ridden shack.  She gave birth on a straw mattress filled with vermin.  

Lori should walk through a cemetery from that time, and see how many of the graves were for infants, children, and adults barely out of their teens.  But yeah, things were soooooo much better 'back then.'  :pb_rollseyes:

22 minutes ago, Mellowing With Age said:

God gave her acid reflux so she won't eat? I would say she is looking for an excuse for her ED. 

Agree.  The whole video is very strange and disjointed.  At min. 4:03, she says something like, "I started getting heartbean...".  She never misses a beat.  She doesn't seem to have any idea that she didn't say "heartburn".  She does that with a lot of words.  Does anyone know what would cause that?

Side note- I am assuming this video was prompted by watching family eat during the holidays.

I am wondering why Allyssa would even talk to her mother about certain topics knowing that she has food issues and falls somewhere on the disordered eating scale. I feel she is only making it worse. 

I would be really interested to see what her daily caloric intake looks like. From what she's posted, I honestly don't see how she's getting enough. Apparently a woman her age needs 1,600 calories a day. My mother is roughly her age, and if she were talking like this at the weight Lori is, I would be extremely concerned.

Also of note, I've seen photos of Lori in high school and college. She is not at all what I would describe as a woman having a "weight problem." Certainly healthier than the physician-described "Holocaust victim" that she is now, but not overweight by any means. 

EF4F8CD9-A8EF-4E7A-83D9-D689AD4C910E.png

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I would be really interested to see what her daily caloric intake looks like. From what she's posted, I honestly don't see how she's getting enough. Apparently a woman her age needs 1,600 calories a day. My mother is roughly her age, and if she were talking like this at the weight Lori is, I would be extremely concerned.

Also of note, I've seen photos of Lori in high school and college. She is not at all what I would describe as a woman having a "weight problem." Certainly healthier than the physician-described "Holocaust victim" that she is now, but not overweight by any means. 

EF4F8CD9-A8EF-4E7A-83D9-D689AD4C910E.png

How in the world could she think she had a weight problem at that weight??? 

1 hour ago, Mellowing With Age said:

God gave her acid reflux so she won't eat? I would say she is looking for an excuse for her ED. 

Did she discover Gwen? This sounds just like something Gwen would say!

9 hours ago, cara said:

Did anyone catch Sean's comments in her voting post. He says racism in the past wasn't a big deal because 'overall' people got on better than we do today. 

Screenshot_20181226-201549__01.jpg

WTAF?  Yes, black people just loved being treated as lesser-than humans.  Not being able to pee, eat or see a doctor due to having the *wrong* skin color and no separate facilities.   When Maya Angelou wrote about badly needing a dentist as a child and got denied because she was black, well, pure delight I tell you. Such fine white people back then!  Denying a CHILD with a badly infected tooth treatment was okey dokey and Christ like, huh?  I'd like have him and Lori on a show where they were treated as black people were back when America was great.  You know those shows like "1940 house" or whatever it was called. We'll reverse it. All black businesses, black homes to cook and clean for, but can't use the houses bathroom, etc.....   Get the fire hose turned on them when they try and speak out against the injustice and dehumanization of it all.  Oh yes, I would watch that!  Bunch of assholes these people Lori chats with!  Fuck them!  

9 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Again with “nail polish is toxic.” ?

Is she not aware of nail polish that doesn't contain toluene and formaldehyde?  So, when she polishes her nails, what? It's ok then? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived