IGNORED

Bro Gary Hawkins 9: He still makes my dinner come back up

HerNameIsBuffy

On 1/25/2019 at 8:20 PM, Lisafer said:

Why was it more crowded at the Grand Canyon because of the shutdown? Pardon me if this is a stupid question. It's late and my thinker is broke, haymayun.

I'm guessing that more people went to visit the Grand Canyon during the shutdown because they didn't have to pay a fee? 

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I'm guessing that more people went to visit the Grand Canyon during the shutdown because they didn't have to pay a fee? 

That was true for a lot of National Parks in the West. Also because there was no one to stop you from destroying whatever the F you wanted. Estimates are it will take 300 years for Joshua Tree NP to recover from the shutdown. (People came in with chainsaws and cut down trees that were hundreds of years old, built roads through the desert, all kinds of nasty stuff)

3 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Also because there was no one to stop you from destroying whatever the F you wanted. Estimates are it will take 300 years for Joshua Tree NP to recover from the shutdown. (People came in with chainsaws and cut down trees that were hundreds of years old, built roads through the desert, all kinds of nasty stuff)

Nice to know that the only thing keeping some people from behaving like absolute cretins is the idea that some authority is keeping an eye on them.  Which, now, that I think of it, reminds me of the way some fundies insist that no one can be moral without religion - i.e. without the threat of eternal damnation, there's no reason for anyone not to murder, rape, etc.  Apparently there's a section of the population that really can't be even halfway civilized in the absence of some kind of authority, be it divine or legal.

(Not saying that I don't also behave a little differently when authority is removed, and feel more free to do what I want, but somehow I don't really want to go around destroying centuries-old trees on public property, or messing up delicate ecosystems - or, for that matter, to kill or rape anyone.)

4 hours ago, FullOfGravy said:

Nice to know that the only thing keeping some people from behaving like absolute cretins is the idea that some authority is keeping an eye on them.  Which, now, that I think of it, reminds me of the way some fundies insist that no one can be moral without religion - i.e. without the threat of eternal damnation, there's no reason for anyone not to murder, rape, etc.  Apparently there's a section of the population that really can't be even halfway civilized in the absence of some kind of authority, be it divine or legal.

(Not saying that I don't also behave a little differently when authority is removed, and feel more free to do what I want, but somehow I don't really want to go around destroying centuries-old trees on public property, or messing up delicate ecosystems - or, for that matter, to kill or rape anyone.)

The Purge tv show explored this idea, actually -- a pair of siblings who lost their parents years earlier both found themselves caught up with others who weren't securely locked away, managed to get away from several ugly situations...And the next year, had an ambulance to drive around and find people who needed help (and provide medical care and/or transport to a safe place). Because some people respond to lack of authority with looking out for others rather than inflicting harm. And there's a meme that, in the absence of authority, there would be people building temporary shelters and feeding the homeless.

So, yeah. Some react to lack of authority by doing all of the terrible things they don't want to deal with consequences for, others find ways to help people. And religious beliefs have very little to do with which set of actions people take.

I'm a few days behind. Yes, I believe the shutdown is why GC was more crowded. I've never been there in the winter but it doesn't seem like it would be even busier than it is in summer! I have a morbid fascination with death in national parks and am wondering if there were more deaths than usual with the shutdown, just because there were less people there to monitor and respond. (I read Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon a few years ago and several of the stories have stuck with me.)

I'm only finally watching the latest live video. I could only listen, not watch, because he has the camera trained right on his boob and I can see his nip. Could he find a less flattering angle!? I almost prefer the up the nostrils videos. Do potential churches really look at his videos and say, we need this guy!! I don't get it.

IMG_6266.JPG

Howdy folks

So I was playing scrabble with my family and my dad tried to play the word 'ween.' Non-enlightened say-un loving folks eventually vetoed it but I did my best to champion the weens! Anyway I felt the need to share.

Hallaluyer hayman

Ween is definitely a real word! Well in my world, at least. I also tell the cats to go to he'll when they're acting up, and my husband and daughter enjoy reading various Gary-isms out loud. (It's the only way to truly understand those.)

My (adopted, not birthed by me and probably heathen as far as  JillRod and the Bro know) daughter has a friend over to stay the weekend. I gave them my phone to look at silly pics of my kid and then my kid scrolled to one of my Bro Gary screenshots, proceeding to read out incoherent bible blather out loud to her friend.

Said friend says, I don't get it.

No one does, friend, no one does. Here's a pic my dog for no reason. He and our other dog ran away in November. He came back and she never did. I probably love and care about my dogs more than a lot of fundies do their children.

IMG_6311.JPG

8 hours ago, Calypso said:

Howdy folks

So I was playing scrabble with my family and my dad tried to play the word 'ween.' Non-enlightened say-un loving folks eventually vetoed it but I did my best to champion the weens! Anyway I felt the need to share.

Hallaluyer hayman

FWIW, ween is (or was) a word outside the Bro Gary context, too.  It's an archaic, pretty much obsolete verb meaning to believe or be of the opinion.  Gary, I ween, is a terrible preacher.

13 hours ago, Calypso said:

Howdy folks

Hallaluyer hayman

I think @Palimpsest plays a special fundie variant of Scrabble with Mr. P where ween would get bonus points.

12 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I think @Palimpsest plays a special fundie variant of Scrabble with Mr. P where ween would get bonus points.

We do indeed.  That is Fundie Scrabble, although we pick a different theme for almost every game, agreed upon in advance.  Ween would count as 50 bonus points in Fundie Scrabble, but only if the player could provide Gary Hawkins as provenance.

And I'm still sore about the time Mr. P built off an H to get HELPMEET on a triple word score.  He got 50 bonus points for a Fundie word, 50 bonus points for putting out all his letters, on top of the triple the letters count.  He won that game. 

I beat him two times in a row at Holiday Scrabble over New Year though.  :evil:

20 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

We do indeed.  That is Fundie Scrabble, although we pick a different theme for almost every game, agreed upon in advance.  Ween would count as 50 bonus points in Fundie Scrabble, but only if the player could provide Gary Hawkins as provenance.

And I'm still sore about the time Mr. P built off an H to get HELPMEET on a triple word score.  He got 50 bonus points for a Fundie word, 50 bonus points for putting out all his letters, on top of the triple the letters count.  He won that game. 

I beat him two times in a row at Holiday Scrabble over New Year though.  :evil:

Weens should have some value in the world. Please report back if you ever pull it off,

14 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

It's Supper Bowel day!  :happy-cheerleaderkid:  

I thought of that this morning.  I almost said something about it, but I was at work. 

On 1/22/2019 at 11:36 PM, keepercjr said:

*eyeroll*  .  Think Kh  speaks weenese?

34F55206-59F2-4780-97E8-8EE843E3F15C.thumb.jpeg.f049c9455cf041612d0782255b5a73fc.jpeg

Daphne is a rabbit hole all her own.  Omg, her live streams.

No posts since 26th January. I can still see all the posts on his page so I don’t think he’s gone private, just quiet. 

I thought of the supper bowel again at work.  One of our patients, a sweet, confused little lady, asked me if the men were there.  I asked her which men, to which she replied, "The ones in the tight pants."  Yup, the super bowl.  She went on to inform me that the football is silly--she watches it for "other reasons".

Bro Gary would be appalled.  Lol

@PumaLover, you are my 2nd kindred spirit on here. (The other one being @PennySycamore.) Over the Edge:Death in the Grand Canyon is a very interesting read. The reality being visitors to the Grand Canyon are very unlikely to fall over the edge. The majority of visitors who fell in went past the guard rails to get a better picture. 

@Pecansforeveryone glad to hear someone else has read it. And yes, the majority won't fall from the rim. The first time I visited there I thought that was the #1 cause of death because I saw so many people getting dangerously close to the edge. But then it actually turns out that exposure and drowning were the top reasons! Some of the stories about the people running out of water while hiking and slowly dying from dehydration were horrible, and have really stayed with me. Because of that, I always make sure to bring a gallon or so of water with me when I travel. You never know!

I am super disappointed that we did not get a Supper Bowel post from Bro today. I wanted to hear what crazy rants he would be on. Guess I'll go see what Jill Rod is up to.

On 2/3/2019 at 6:25 PM, PumaLover said:

I am super disappointed that we did not get a Supper Bowel post from Bro today.

me too!  I did however type "supper bowel" into facebook search and to my amazement he isn't the only one!

15 minutes ago, Carol said:

Still no word from Gary??  Has he ever gone 10 days without posting?  

I'm beginning to wonder if something has happened to him.

Did he eat a bad ween?

A week with no Bro updates!? What am I going to snark on? I'm going to go with @MarblesMom's explanation. I would have thought he would at least have said something about the State of the Union, although I don't know if he actually follows politics so much as he just loves Trump for being Republican and hateful and vaguely Christian.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived