IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 6: They're More Frightened of Her than Ashamed

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, catlady said:

Well Rufus Bless!!  Precious Moments figures are expensive. I knew a few people who’ve collected them; I never did because they’re too cutesy/corny for my taste.  I googled them just now, and most of the current ones are $35-60.  

I don’t really collect anything. I just don’t enjoy collecting. I like very few Knick knacks anyway. Some people my age will collect Willow Tree or Rae Dunn cups/bowls/jars but I’m just not into it. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, catlady said:

Well Rufus Bless!!  Precious Moments figures are expensive. I knew a few people who’ve collected them; I never did because they’re too cutesy/corny for my taste.  I googled them just now, and most of the current ones are $35-60.  

I sort of collected them when I was a child. My grandmother would buy them for us for various milestones,  I think she gave me the last one when I was 13ish? She started giving me Hummels around that time for a couple of years. At some point she switched to just giving us cash, but Idon't remember when exactly.

Maybe this is old news, but on the above linked page for the engagement, the link to the wedding report now redirects to Steve’s thoughts on salvation. I had known he removed the snark-tastic wedding report but the link is just too much!

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don’t really collect anything. I just don’t enjoy collecting. I like very few Knick knacks anyway. Some people my age will collect Willow Tree or Rae Dunn cups/bowls/jars but I’m just not into it. 

I had never heard of this Willow Tree stuff. How tone deaf it is - it is all obviously white people. How bizarre to cut out 50% of the US market and most of the world.

4 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

Maybe this is old news, but on the above linked page for the engagement, the link to the wedding report now redirects to Steve’s thoughts on salvation. I had known he removed the snark-tastic wedding report but the link is just too much!

Nathan and Melanie's does too. They know these are popular so it is a way to "minister"

www.titus2.com/wedding/nathan-melanie.html

Oddly, you can still get to Chris' pictures.

https://blog.titus2.com/2010/11/16/final-two-pictures/

47 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Bontragers have scooped Steve with baby Axton pics.  Axton got a shirt with a penguin on it--perhaps he's secretly an Ardt? Axton Ardt.

[this where he was born, by the way: https://researchmedicalcenter.com/about/index.dot]

http://bontragersingers.blogspot.com/2019/03/precious-axton.html

image.thumb.png.376621ac4bee243f7f9849f0a904f7fc.png

Notice none of the Bons were in any of the pics? That’s because they haven’t even met him yet. And won’t for at least another month.

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Notice none of the Bons were in any of the pics? That’s because they haven’t even met him yet. And won’t for at least another month.

Yep. they are on tour and headed to Mexico & Belize. Although I'm not sure I want to criticize fundies for not rushing to the birth of every new grandchild.  And not every new mother wants a swarm of family around.

3 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Yep. they are on tour and headed to Mexico & Belize. Although I'm not sure I want to criticize fundies for not rushing to the birth of every new grandchild.  And not every new mother wants a swarm of family around.

It just amazes me that these particular fundies go on and on and on about family relationships and how close they are. And Marlin even belabored the point of producing children so hard he had to talk about Steve’s vasectomy reversal at Chelsy’s wedding. Yet they won’t even meet him until April at the earliest. They’ve had a few gaps in their schedule for one or two of them to fly to KS to meet him. 

Last night my husband and I were talking about potential baby names (not pregnant, we just have VERY different tastes in names and thought we'd start now :pb_lol: ) and he was going down a few lists; I think one he came across was like 18th century English names (don't ask me why). Anyway, all of a sudden he said Axton, I shit you not. Even if I liked the name, it would never work for us (our surname beings with A and ends with N, so I don't think it would flow well). I didn't even have to say anything though. He knew by my WTF facial expression that it was a no-go. 

11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It just amazes me that these particular fundies go on and on and on about family relationships and how close they are. And Marlin even belabored the point of producing children so hard he had to talk about Steve’s vasectomy reversal at Chelsy’s wedding. Yet they won’t even meet him until April at the earliest. They’ve had a few gaps in their schedule for one or two of them to fly to KS to meet him. 

Yeah, it does seem weird given all the fundie talk about family values, brothers and sisters being each other's best friends, and all that jazz. Then when these kids grow up, the females of the species often get married and move away and then everyone sees each other a couple times a year, if that. Then again, I guess it fits with the pro-birth movement in general-- once the fetus is out of the womb, he/she doesn't matter as much as making a new fetus.

15 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I had never heard of this Willow Tree stuff. How tone deaf it is - it is all obviously white people. How bizarre to cut out 50% of the US market and most of the world.

Willow Tree is really popular where I live. To be fair, they do sell somewhat darker skin-toned figurines as well. But I hate the entire line with a passion because it's so bland, featureless, and saccharine. (No offense to any Willow Tree collectors on FJ!) I've been gifted figures twice: a married couple and a pregnant blob lady. Ew.

I, too, have been given those awful things--one, in particular, was a kneeling angel figure from my in-laws. I only actually collect one thing--Toby jugs. I have to be selective, though, because I'm the type of person who would let them take over her apartment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toby_Jug

I've never seen those willow tree things before.  Oh, those are bad, bad, bad.  Just a nope.

I used to collect hand made tea pots.  When my allotted shelves got full I stopped.  I think I'm down to three now.  When I got to be about 50 or 55, I began giving them away as wedding gifts.

I thought I recognised the name Willow Tree, then I remembered that Erika Shupe got sent one (praying one with wings) after she had a miscarriage (along with some scripture). That was probably comforting to her in her moment of loss. 

But yeah, they’re pretty bland/plain/featureless looking. There’s way better out there.

On 3/1/2019 at 6:55 AM, nelliebelle1197 said:

Nathan and Melanie's does too. They know these are popular so it is a way to "minister"

www.titus2.com/wedding/nathan-melanie.html

Oddly, you can still get to Chris' pictures.

https://blog.titus2.com/2010/11/16/final-two-pictures/

Poor Scary Mary and her unibrows! 

11 hours ago, Bajovane said:

Poor Scary Mary and her unibrows! 

I’m pretty jealous of her full brows. She could shape them however she wants. My thin sad brows are Envious.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:03 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

I, too, have been given those awful things--one, in particular, was a kneeling angel figure from my in-laws. I only actually collect one thing--Toby jugs. I have to be selective, though, because I'm the type of person who would let them take over her apartment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toby_Jug

I collect Toby jugs, too! I've limited my collection to those produced by Royal Doulton in order to try to keep the collection under control. Anyway, sorry for the thread drift but I just got excited to find another Toby collector!

28 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m pretty jealous of her full brows. She could shape them however she wants. My thin sad brows are Envious.

If you were to live in Maxhell you'd be so bored that you could grow eyebrows like woolly bears.

4 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

I collect Toby jugs, too! I've limited my collection to those produced by Royal Doulton in order to try to keep the collection under control. Anyway, sorry for the thread drift but I just got excited to find another Toby collector!

Yay!! You don't meet many of us around! My most recent acquisition is Anne of Cleves from the Henry VIII and his wives series. My dream is some day have a kitchen with shelves above the cabinets to keep them all--for now they're on shelves in my living room. 

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Ah, but therein lies the rub — she can’t do what she wants with them! Not unless what she wants is what her Mommy and Daddy approve! 

13 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Ah, but therein lies the rub — she can’t do what she wants with them! Not unless what she wants is what her Mommy and Daddy approve! 

fixed that for you.

On 2/28/2019 at 3:30 PM, catlady said:

I understand that he gave her the key to indicate that the house was now hers, too.  but in the ordinary world where I live, offering a key is generally interpreted as “spend the night any time” or “let’s live together first.”  The Maxwells would have palpitations over that. 

That's because in the world you live in those with a penis don't take precedence over those with a vagina. Males aren't the homeowners/breadwinners who "give" thier intentendeds keys to "their" house as a symbol. John did it with Chelsy, too. Their house; they bought it, their name is on the title, not the girl's name. In your world, women own property just as men do; women have rights of ownership in a shared dwelling just as men do. In your world, by the time a house is purchased, it's a joint endeavour and two keys and more are a given. In your world, when it's an invite to stay over night at will, it's a step towards making a further commitment. (Or, in some cases, just laziness - I dated a guy once for all of like 9 months but he had a key to my apartment after the 2nd month because he worked 2nd shift and I didn't want to wake up and let him in at night).

In Maxhell, it's a symbolic reminder that the women are at the mercy of the men. Even the way they refer to the married relatives and their lives is indicative of the lowliness of women. "John's House", "The Christopher Maxwell Family", "Joseph's Wedding". The women in their world are side players, made to fulfil he needs & whims of the men. 

22 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

That's because in the world you live in those with a penis don't take precedence over those with a vagina. Males aren't the homeowners/breadwinners who "give" thier intentendeds keys to "their" house as a symbol. John did it with Chelsy, too. Their house; they bought it, their name is on the title, not the girl's name. In your world, women own property just as men do; women have rights of ownership in a shared dwelling just as men do. In your world, by the time a house is purchased, it's a joint endeavour and two keys and more are a given. In your world, when it's an invite to stay over night at will, it's a step towards making a further commitment. (Or, in some cases, just laziness - I dated a guy once for all of like 9 months but he had a key to my apartment after the 2nd month because he worked 2nd shift and I didn't want to wake up and let him in at night).

In Maxhell, it's a symbolic reminder that the women are at the mercy of the men. Even the way they refer to the married relatives and their lives is indicative of the lowliness of women. "John's House", "The Christopher Maxwell Family", "Joseph's Wedding". The women in their world are side players, made to fulfil he needs & whims of the men. 

I knew a girl whose fiance owned a home already.  He wouldn't add her name to the deed because she would never be able to put in the time and money that he had spent fixing it up.

They weren't married for more than 4 years.  She divorced him and bought her own place.  She also remarried, and he didn't.

My dad was technically the breadwinner. He worked two jobs and my mom home schooled, managed the house, and worked part time on the weekends. Both names on the house. I can understand if you aren’t married and paying any of the mortgage for the house not to be in your name but that’s it. My bf who I live with owns our house. He refers to it as our house or the banks house lol. I don’t pay the mortgage he does. If we got married or I started paying some of the mortgage my name would go on the house. 

When I moved in with my ex, he owned his home already. My name wasn't added to the title, or the mortgage. I did, however, pay the electric, phone (before cell phones) and cable bills. I also contributed extensively to updating the house to put it on the market, in sweat equity and money. Three years after we married, we bought a different house and both names were on the mortgage and title. 

When we got divorced, he tried to claim he was owed more of the proceeds from the sale of the house than I was because it was the proceeds from his other house that provided the downpayment of $30k. It was an ugly divorce and he tried so many tactics and made so many absurd claims, that in the end, the bills I paid, the expenses I incurred and the work I did to get that house ready to sell were itemized and given value. Although it was a verbal agreement that I paid certain bills while he paid the mortgage, from the time I moved it those payments counted as my contribution to the mortgage. I was paying those bills and he didn't have to; he was paying the mortgage and I didn't have to. A mutual, shared agreement. Jointly, we spent more than $25k remodeling and updating his house. We sold it for 30% more than he paid for it a decade earlier and that was the downpayment on the joint house. All that I contributed to that profit was considered in the divorce, presuming it wouldn't have sold for what it did if it hadn't been updated -  not to mention the fact that funds were entirely co-mingled by the time we bought another house and refinanced it a couple of time - jointly. The divorced was finalized with me receiving half the proceeds from our joint house, much to his chagrin. 

Anyway, all that to say - just having a name on a title or a mortgage does not determine ownership according to the law. Not when lives are shared and comingled. Even if you have one asswipe fighting the legal system, the non named resident of the home has rights and some degree of ownership. But, that's all in the real world where even an ugly divorce doesn't change the law or equity division. In fundie-land, most women wouldn't have the ovaries to fight for what is theirs or right; they don't contribute financially so that is considered not contributing - even in non-fundie land, a non financially contributing partner still contributes to the marriage & home by taking care of it and the kids and whatever else. A fundie wife is not an autonomous individual with a worth of her own; she holds no value outside her role as wife & mother. 

It may be like arguing semantics, but intent and motive are massively different in fundie-land versus the sane world. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived