IGNORED

Alyssa & John 2: Getting By on Their Looks and Fashion Sense

HerNameIsBuffy

So Alyssa has finally gone and corrected the "mid-evil". Which pretty much confirms that it WASN'T a pun. In response to people on her Instagram asking "did you mean medieval?" lots of leghumpers jumped to her defense with claims of "it's CLEARLY a joke." Guess it wasn't so clearly a joke. Ha.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

What does a centurion has to do with the middle-ages?

and what have the Romans done for us lately???

PS If Rufus is gracious unto us, Alyssa and John will drive by the Orlando-area Medieval times sometime soon, slap their heads and say "ohhh!!"

https://www.medievaltimes.com/plan-your-trip/orlando-fl/index.html

It's painfully obvious that Alyssa should not be doing any homeschooling, and I hope she has the sense to realise her own limitations and let someone else educate her children. She does not seem particularly interested in school herself, which is fine, but a person who has no interest in education should not take on the responsibility of educating others. I think Alyssa will probably make a genuine attempt with Allie at first, but I'm afraid she will put more effort into a Pinterest-y school room with colour-coordinated school supplies than her daughter's actual school material.

2 minutes ago, BookwormExtraordinaire said:

It's painfully obvious that Alyssa should not be doing any homeschooling, and I hope she has the sense to realise her own limitations and let someone else educate her children. She does not seem particularly interested in school herself, which is fine, but a person who has no interest in education should not take on the responsibility of educating others. I think Alyssa will probably make a genuine attempt with Allie at first, but I'm afraid she will put more effort into a Pinterest-y school room with colour-coordinated school supplies than her daughter's actual school material.

I mean, it's not really a big deal, right? Her daughters only need to be literate enough to shill for diet supplements and darling dresses on Instagram, surely. As long as they can spell s-p-o-n-s-o-r-e-d, they should be okay.

5 hours ago, nausicaa said:

It's definitely not a pun. I know someone personally (who once mentioned that they hadn't read a book since eighth grade with some pride in their voice) who spelled "medieval" as "Mid-Evil."

God, Alyssa is so, so dumb. I don't know why this isn't called out more. Those poor girls don't stand a chance if they are homeschooled.

I remember thinking it was spelled like that when I was a teen! Thank goodness for spell check! I’m not a great speller but I’m aware of it. So I’ll often check my spelling and then try to remember the correct spelling. Alyssa doesn’t even seem to bother with spell check. For something that thousands of people will read! Now that is incredibly ignorant in my opinion. And this person is going to homeschool at least 6 kids? She has no idea how ignorant she actually is!

I will say that I’m sure everyone around her likely pronounces it Mid-Evil so that spelling probably sounds right to her. Where I’m from, it was pronounced Mid-Evil. But “been” was pronounced like “bin.” And “pen” was always pronounced like “pin.” Short e and i sound very similar in the Midwest and it’s likely the same way in TN.

I am still trying to get over Alyssa not knowing the cardinal directions. That is more scary to me than her spelling mid-evil because I would not be surprised if in depth history was replaced by extra religious studies. She was raised in a rural area. It seems like something she would learn for navigation purposes in case of an emergency. I thought knowing this was as common as right and left. I wonder how many people don't know. I may have to ask everyone now. lol

I love that the banner in those pictures that says "House of Bates" is a clear knockoff of A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones. I wonder if they realize that, and if they do, I wonder if they know what ASOIAF and GOT are about. On the one hand, they would probably love all the arranged marriages and the child brides and the religious extremism of the High Sparrow. On the other hand, they would probably hate the explicit sex and the implicit critique of that feudal way of life and the fact that Daenerys gets dragons before any of the dudes.

Guys, I'm sorry, but Game of Thrones did not invent 'House of [Whatever]'. Like, by a long shot. :pb_lol:

I know, it's the font that looks Game of Thrones-esque. The O with the two lines inside it is the same O you find in Game of Thrones promotional material.

2 minutes ago, Anna Bolinas said:

I know, it's the font that looks Game of Thrones-esque. The O with the two lines inside it is the same O you find in Game of Thrones promotional material.

Oh, really? I didn't even look at it. Derp. In that case, yeah, I totally agree. If they watch Game of Thrones, they're hypocrites. And if they don't and they just don't realize... lol.

It's such a minor point, among all the other wtf-ery of that party "theme", but why are the Roman centurions all barefoot? No one had any boots he could wear? :wtf: 

Spelling is tricky but mid-evil es far worse than a spelling mistake. Alyssa evidences that she has never studied history, neither has read a book with the *medieval* word printed in. 

Conversely, Michael stated that her dress was renaissance inspired. She seems to know not only that middle age was a thing, but also that it had different stages.

No doubt Alyssa has a lot of qualities. She's probably raising her daugthers properly (for a fundie, at least). But definitely she shouldn't homeschool. 

4 hours ago, Anna Bolinas said:

I love that the banner in those pictures that says "House of Bates" is a clear knockoff of A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones. I wonder if they realize that, and if they do, I wonder if they know what ASOIAF and GOT are about. On the one hand, they would probably love all the arranged marriages and the child brides and the religious extremism of the High Sparrow. On the other hand, they would probably hate the explicit sex and the implicit critique of that feudal way of life and the fact that Daenerys gets dragons before any of the dudes.

I'm 100% sure that Bates parents don't watch game of thrones. The party was organised by Kelly (and the single kids I suppose) so the references you see are not based in GOT.

Also I doubt that married children watch GOT. The books and series don't show a *right* view of religion. And sex is extremely explicit. 

8 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Spelling is tricky but mid-evil es far worse than a spelling mistake. Alyssa evidences that she has never studied history, neither has read a book with the *medieval* word printed in. 

Conversely, Michael stated that her dress was renaissance inspired. She seems to know not only that middle age was a thing, but also that it had different stages. 

And Michael has an Associates Degree from a public community college. Coincidence??? : )

“Mid-evil” actually really hurt my heart to read. Those poor kids are so screwed with Alyssa as a teacher. 

I can’t really fully blame Alyssa for her lack of education. She was kid number six born to parents who seemed to barely do the bare minimum, if they even did that at all. I think it’s entirely possible that Alyssa wasn’t given as good an education as the eldest kids simply because Kelly didn’t have the time or didn’t want to put in the time required to properly teach each of her differently aged kids. If Alyssa was the type of kid who needed extra attention or motivation to learn then I could easily see why she might not have that interest in learning some of her other siblings have shown glimpses of. That said, Alyssa (and John too) is 100% responsible for her choices since becoming an adult and a parent. She’s choosing to homeschool her girls despite the fact that she very likely isn’t capable of educating them properly and she (and John) deserves criticism for that when/if her kids end up woefully undereducated. 

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

And Michael has an Associates Degree from a public community college. Coincidence??? : )

Remember when Erin was teasing Michael about looking up sex in the dictionary or encyclopedia? This was at her “bachelorette party” I believe. Michael seems like the type that would take the initiative to look things up if she didn’t know the answer. Alyssa definitely is not. Michael would be the better homeschool mom. And here she is with no children and Alyssa is popping them out left and right. Sigh...

10 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I'm 100% sure that Bates parents don't watch game of thrones. The party was organised by Kelly (and the single kids I suppose) so the references you see are not based in GOT.

Also I doubt that married children watch GOT. The books and series don't show a *right* view of religion. And sex is extremely explicit. 

I doubt they watch game of thrones, but if you look at the banner in all their pictures, it's definitely based off of designs from the show and the series.  

I won't sugar coat it, she's just dumb. I'm sorry but there is no intellectual curiosity in a person who comes up with "mid-evil", it's dumber than dumb. Her own lack of a proper education is what has brought her here, and God forbid she inflicts it on her children.

The Bates and Duggars are wealthy by fundie standards because they are reality TV whores. But if you remove that, what you're left with is a great example of why the cycle of poverty continues and why our society is still stratified by class and increasingly so by the day. The media often talks about inner city kids and their terrible schools but these fundies in the south educated at SOTDRT have no hope in hell of raising above their place in the world unless they have some extraordinary talent (none of the ones we follow do so it should tell you how rare that would be) or they have to get extraordinarily lucky (Bates, Duggar families). Alyssa's kids stand zero and I mean ZERO chance against kids the same age whose parents are highly educated professionals, live upper middle class lives, attend the best schools, activities, travel the world and so on.

IMO by the time Alyssa came around Kelly had already started checking out of parenting, let alone teaching. Alyssa was handed a sibling to raise and had to fix all the meals for her large family at a fairly young age. I doubt that Kelly pushed her to learn if Alyssa didn't want to. When she wasn't parenting her siblings or cooking for her family she was being sent to travel with Bill Gothard who made it pretty clear that looking pretty and not questioning men is the only thing a woman needs. Is it any wonder she grew up to be a shallow, uneducated person who was content just marrying into an IBLP family that let her wear pants? 

It would be nice if Alyssa was aware of her limitations, but since she didn't even do the most simple research for I Love You Day which would have shown her the word medieval, I don't think she has awareness of how uneducated she really is.

Not going to lie, medieval is one of those words I have trouble spelling and never looks "right" to me. But usually I'm choosing between midieval, medeival, and medieval. However, I never thought it was in the middle of some evil period  :pb_lol:

The woeful undereducation and creativity/curiosity stunting of the Duggars and Bates children is criminal and heartbreaking to me. The 2nd generation of Duggar/Bates children have to do better by their own children. It will be hard and harder at times. However, once they become parents themselves, they owe their own children nothing less. 

It’s sad...sad that anyone can get by with only their good looks and fashion sense. Can it possibly, successfully extend to another generation? Lots of beautiful people to compete with in this world. Unless Alyssa manages to pop out 30 beautiful little girls, I doubt $he’ll  get a free ride for life!

You would think even if she didn’t know the word or spelling, it would come up in planning for the party. Like a text from Kelly saying the theme is medieval, comparing notes with her siblings about their costumes, googling or searching Pinterest for medieval costume ideas (which also obviously didn’t happen given the inconsistency). And if you’re going to post anything for thousands of people to see, wouldn’t you spell check first? I don’t get it. 

Also, Erin’s post said #chivalrytheme  ?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived