IGNORED

Joy and Austin 25: Guest Starring Grandpa Munster

HerNameIsBuffy

The thing I think is the most strange in other countries is the lack of a hallway. My sister moved to London and bought a house there with her husband a couple of years ago but I still can't get used to having to take off my shoes and coat, walk upstairs and put them in the wardrobe there. There's just no space to put in hangers and a shoe-rack by the front door, and it's just so impractical.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I skimmed the last three pages or so because of the renting thread drift (my apartment hasn't been renovated since the 1970s, and has some wonderfully hideous vintage wallpaper and paneling. Very Twin Peaks). So I apologize if I'm repeating what others have said, but is anyone else bothered by the apparent lack of safety concerns in the video Joy and Austin posted? No goggles on the rifle range, no helmets while horseback riding... you'll shoot your eye out, kid!

On 2/4/2019 at 11:16 AM, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I'm all for electrical safety but has anyone in North America ever electrocuted themselves by splashing water from the sink onto the outlet?

Electrical codes require circuit breakers for all outlets near water. You would have to actually touch a wet outlet to get electrocuted, not just splash water on it.

19 hours ago, Icea said:

The thing I think is the most strange in other countries is the lack of a hallway. My sister moved to London and bought a house there with her husband a couple of years ago but I still can't get used to having to take off my shoes and coat, walk upstairs and put them in the wardrobe there. There's just no space to put in hangers and a shoe-rack by the front door, and it's just so impractical.

This was new to me too when we moved to the UK. Even my tiny apartments in Germany had a hall/entry space near the door that was enough to put a small shoe rack and hooks for coats. We have (what feels like) a giant house here in NI and we struggled to find space to put hooks for coats (technically we were not allowed to drill a single hole, but come on people, furniture has to be secured with small children around). Ikea to the rescue with a lovely coat tree that is relatively flat and fit behind our door. Gloves, hats, scarves, baby snowsuit? Never figured that one out, they live in a basket in the living room which is near the door. Our shoe rack is totally in the way next to our stairs in the downstairs "hall". I never realized how much I appreciated that type of space until I did not have it anymore. Don't even get me started on my mom's house in AR. She is just lucky it almost never gets cold. There is literally no where to have a coat by the door since it opens into the living room straight away, same with my grandparents. I am totally entryway lover!

13 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

I skimmed the last three pages or so because of the renting thread drift (my apartment hasn't been renovated since the 1970s, and has some wonderfully hideous vintage wallpaper and paneling. Very Twin Peaks). So I apologize if I'm repeating what others have said, but is anyone else bothered by the apparent lack of safety concerns in the video Joy and Austin posted? No goggles on the rifle range, no helmets while horseback riding... you'll shoot your eye out, kid!

I still remember the AWESOME 70's wallpaper we had in my childhood home, it is the 1st house my parents owned, it was built in 1974 and we moved in right after it was done this wallpaper hung in the kitchen until they remodeled in the mid 80's.  It was epic, and looking back now, it is so bad it is almost cool, and if I didn't despise wallpaper so much I would hang it in my kitchen now, because I'm totally into mid century retro. 

151.jpg

14 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

So I apologize if I'm repeating what others have said, but is anyone else bothered by the apparent lack of safety concerns in the video Joy and Austin posted? No goggles on the rifle range, no helmets while horseback riding... you'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Now I'm looking around awkwardly because I've never worn goggles while shooting or a helmet while riding. Granted, I've never shot in a range, just out in nature but I've never seen anyone wear a hemlet riding a horse except in English riding lessons (I assume for insurance reasons) or in the ring for jumping.

@Grace even if you personally didn't, it seems odd (to me) to advertise without those precautions. They're standard practice where I am (in the northeast US) and I think most people would agree both practices are a pretty good idea. Maybe things are different out at Fort Rock, but just because someone HAS been fine without taking proper safety precautions, doesn't mean others SHOULD avoid them in the future. Like seatbelts.

18 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

@Grace even if you personally didn't, it seems odd (to me) to advertise without those precautions. They're standard practice where I am (in the northeast US) and I think most people would agree both practices are a pretty good idea. Maybe things are different out at Fort Rock, but just because someone HAS been fine without taking proper safety precautions, doesn't mean others SHOULD avoid them in the future. Like seatbelts.

I don't know anyone who shoots with googles either, hunting, or at outdoor shooting ranges, or indoor ones for that matter either. The only people I know who ride with a helmet are those training or competing in Dressage or English riding. I know several riders and NONE of them wear helmets for just riding around the fields or working. They might wear them if kids are doing rental rides for insurance purposes but around here (Midwest and down south) a lot of folks don't really care about "rules" and are going to to dig in their heals if told they MUST do something. I notice out in rural parts of Iowa and N. MO and down in rural TN (the few times I was there in the last couple years) you see a lot of folks not wearing seat-belts, especially the more rural you get. I also hear of fatal accident after accident where drivers and riders were thrown from vehicles because whey weren't wearing seat belts.  Not smart but just think of all the people who HATE the government and any and all laws and rules that they try to enforce.  

We are looking for a different rental right  now (Kansas, midwestern US state). 

(We might have found the one- waiting to hear), but I’m so thankful we don’t have to buy a kitchen! I had no idea that was a thing. Clearly I was taking some things for granted so thank you FJ for the wake up call! 

Also, goggles (or glasses) and ear protection are required at the indoor shooting range we use.

I have never worn goggles when shooting, or seen anyone who did. 

I have always worn helmet when riding, and never seen anyone who didn't. 

6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I still remember the AWESOME 70's wallpaper we had in my childhood home, it is the 1st house my parents owned, it was built in 1974 and we moved in right after it was done this wallpaper hung in the kitchen until they remodeled in the mid 80's.  It was epic, and looking back now, it is so bad it is almost cool, and if I didn't despise wallpaper so much I would hang it in my kitchen now, because I'm totally into mid century retro. 

151.jpg

I personally LOVE those colors and that pattern. It may be a bit much for wallpaper for me, but I would love a throw pillow or something with this design. ❤️ 

I also lack an entryway closet, so to compensate I just finished the below refresh. The teardrops are coathooks and the white shelves are shoe cubbies (the top one I use to store mail/bills until I can go through them). Luckily, I have a large mud room with a closet in the back of the house, so I can drop all my stuff there. It’s just the guests I needed a better layout for :) 

The green wall does NOT read well on camera, but it looks much nicer in person. Also, as always, please excuse the carpet. It’s coming out soon, and I’m currently looking for a better rug for the space! 

Spoiler

75D41EBC-35F3-462D-818A-D50E5F264728.thumb.jpeg.b4a27b52ee41788646a2400c3243409d.jpeg27D1D197-FED3-4107-B3E9-CAF75C17BA3E.thumb.jpeg.658c7dc6fc60b9b3ca7b17144b881875.jpeg

While we're on the subject, check out this totally trendy decor:

Spoiler

20190206_134303.thumb.jpg.933bc08c9f5e84c7743b72d3b68a78ca.jpg

That patriotic motif. That sexy wood paneling. So modern. So stylish.

We've actually leaned in to the aesthetic, we have some antlers on the walls and a vintage dining set. I've come to love it.

8 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I don't know anyone who shoots with googles either, hunting, or at outdoor shooting ranges, or indoor ones for that matter either. The only people I know who ride with a helmet are those training or competing in Dressage or English riding. I know several riders and NONE of them wear helmets for just riding around the fields or working. They might wear them if kids are doing rental rides for insurance purposes but around here (Midwest and down south) a lot of folks don't really care about "rules" and are going to to dig in their heals if told they MUST do something. I notice out in rural parts of Iowa and N. MO and down in rural TN (the few times I was there in the last couple years) you see a lot of folks not wearing seat-belts, especially the more rural you get. I also hear of fatal accident after accident where drivers and riders were thrown from vehicles because whey weren't wearing seat belts.  Not smart but just think of all the people who HATE the government and any and all laws and rules that they try to enforce.  

If these people didn't endanger their own kids as well as other innocent people, I'd almost be tempted to say "good riddance" and call it natural selection. But I'm actually a really nice person, so I just hope that all of these people will smarten up and realize that getting themselves killed in a car crash or a horse-riding accident is hardly "sticking it to the government."

4 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

While we're on the subject, check out this totally trendy decor:

Hide contents

20190206_134303.thumb.jpg.933bc08c9f5e84c7743b72d3b68a78ca.jpg

That patriotic motif. That sexy wood paneling. So modern. So stylish.

We've actually leaned in to the aesthetic, we have some antlers on the walls and a vintage dining set. I've come to love it.

I have similar patriotic wallpaper in my kitchen, but in green! My kitchen was floor to ceiling avocado green with patriotic green patterned wallpaper backsplash, linoleum countertops in almond with a pattern of avocado green leaves, avocado green linoleum floors, and paneling that is not as nice as yours! 

I greywashed the paneling and painted the cabinets/walls, but I left the wallpaper. Honestly, I like it. The bicentennial was such a unique design time :) Not a GREAT design time, maybe, but certainly very unique!

On 2/6/2019 at 5:05 PM, Georgiana said:

I also lack an entryway closet, so to compensate I just finished the below refresh. The teardrops are coathooks and the white shelves are shoe cubbies (the top one I use to store mail/bills until I can go through them). Luckily, I have a large mud room with a closet in the back of the house, so I can drop all my stuff there. It’s just the guests I needed a better layout for :) 

The green wall does NOT read well on camera, but it looks much nicer in person. Also, as always, please excuse the carpet. It’s coming out soon, and I’m currently looking for a better rug for the space! 

Hide contents

75D41EBC-35F3-462D-818A-D50E5F264728.thumb.jpeg.b4a27b52ee41788646a2400c3243409d.jpeg27D1D197-FED3-4107-B3E9-CAF75C17BA3E.thumb.jpeg.658c7dc6fc60b9b3ca7b17144b881875.jpeg

I'm going to IKEA this weekend and was thinking about getting one or two of those boxes to store my son's shoes and hats in. Right now his little shoes and booties end up on the nearest table and it drives me crazy. We have cubbies by our back door for mine and my husband's shoes but its not a great place to make a baby sit and get ready so he gets his stuff on in the living room.  

25 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Shoulders maybe?

Oh so close!!! It’s head, shoulders, knees, and toes, of course!

*Sending myself to the prayer closet for a few drinks to remove the resulting ear worm. Sorry!

3 hours ago, InTheNameofRufus said:

Oh so close!!! It’s head, shoulders, knees, and toes, of course!

*Sending myself to the prayer closet for a few drinks to remove the resulting ear worm. Sorry!

Toes you say? Isn't that dWreck's jurisdiction? :pb_lol: 

It's the pigtail braids, like in Joy's insta post! That totally wasn't worded in a way that made Austin seem really creepy!

I'm sure you discussed this but I skipped over a lot of threads in order to catch up and I am not able to can, with this episode I uncovered on the On Demand while waiting for the BAFTAs. I am, in fact, out of can'ts to even with this as Joy and Austin are eating fondue on their honeymoon and she's upset by the "bubbly" water* that I have basically subsisted on since the late 70s because I don't like sweet drinks much, and they've never had fondue before and can't read any basic French, while I will probably never get to see any of Europe at all, though I could certainly go get some Emmantaler and Kirsch and bread and white wine, and I try really hard to keep up my minimal French skills in case of miracles and also because it's good to know things

And I'm really, really in a bad mood today. Thank you. 

I don't really hate Jessa here. I feel like she'd be a good normal person if this was some other timeline wherein she wasn't in this mad impossible family. 

*It surprised her. How did she not see it coming out of the bottle and into the glass in front of her and brimming and popping as she brought it to her lips?

They were in the Jungfrau region, which is in the German speaking part of Switzerland, but everything there is in English as well. Traditional Fondue in that region definitely has wine, but they are clueless and didn’t bother reading/asking. I vacationed in the same part of Switzerland last summer - beautiful place, and I like to think the locals spent a lot of time snarking behind Joy and Austin’s backs (as I saw/heard them do to many clueless tourists while I was there - everyone assumed I was a local...)

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived