IGNORED

John David and Abbie Grace 4: Wedding Planning

Coconut Flan

My husband and I are like this too!

FIrst date after chatting online for two weeks was Nov 1, we were engaged on Jan 13 (~2 months), married September the following year (~10 months), we are only at 11 years, but going strong!

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched on Amazon and the episode was just the wedding, no other bits  Wondering if it was edited differently or I missed something. How far in was the introduction?

I've told this story before - MrSlytherin and I got married five weeks after we met IRL. We had spent a year chatting on a message board/via ICQ and AIM/emailing/phoning. He flew to the US to meet me in person, and voila!

We're celebrating our 20th anniversary next year in Germany/Czech Republic/Austria/Hungary. :) 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Mr Names and I are another couple who married very quickly and didn't know each other from a whole in the wall. 

I totally misread this expression...I thought you met your husband through a hole in the wall...such like: one of you two was in prison and you had only the opportunity to talk through a hole. Than I thought about who of you was the person in the prison. And why. And then I read it again. Coffee please! 

:text-imsorry:

14 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

Abbie is a LVN/LPN, and often vocational nurses work in lower-acuity settings than RNs do - such as skilled nursing facilities ("nursing homes"/long-term care, residential rehab programs, etc) or in outpatient clinics. Would be 0% surprised if Abbie was nursing home staff. it's a very special (and growing) population.

My grandfather was in a vegetative state for several years before he died. My grandma lives about a half hour away from his nursing home, yet visited nearly every day and go to know his nursing staff well. My grandma doesn't drive anymore, but she makes a point to stop in to the nursing home every time she's in town/has the chance to visit her 'angels'.  I don't know If you meant 'specialized' or 'special' but the staff that cares for an overall thankless job is indeed special. If you have someone special to you in a home, be sure to verbally thank them, and to tip them well at Christmas/Hanukkah/every year/what have you.

1 hour ago, lexiloumarie said:

I watched on Amazon and the episode was just the wedding, no other bits  Wondering if it was edited differently or I missed something. How far in was the introduction?

It's in the last 10 minutes, at least in the version on TLC's website. On the site the full episode starts with J&J visiting the birthing center for a birth class, then goes to the wedding, then right before they end they introduce Abbie (since she was *at* the wedding), and then they show the getaway car prank right as the episode closes.

The version on Amazon may be slightly different. The listed runtime for the episode on TLC is 86 min, but the listed runtime on Amazon is 1 hr 13 minutes, or only 73 minutes. I'm not sure what the runtime on the actual TV episode was since I can't see past days on the TLC airing schedule and I'm not home to check my DVR (I watched it on the TLC website). 

However the episode recap on the L&E fan blog has things happening in a slightly different order than what I watched and thus may be based on the TV episode if it's different than what either of us saw (unless she's just summarizing in a different order than what she saw in the episode). Overall though, it looks like you might have seen different footage/storylines depending on how you watched the episode. 

2 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I totally misread this expression...I thought you met your husband through a hole in the wall...such like: one of you two was in prison and you had only the opportunity to talk through a hole. Than I thought about who of you was the person in the prison. And why. And then I read it again. Coffee please! 

:text-imsorry:

I needed some caffeine as well, I do know the difference between whole and hole, except when I'm typing it seems. :pb_rollseyes:

3 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

For some reason the Amazon episode leaves off the last 13 minutes. You can watch the last few minutes on the YouTube link that was posted here earlier.

3 hours ago, Kelsey said:

For some reason the Amazon episode leaves off the last 13 minutes. You can watch the last few minutes on the YouTube link that was posted here earlier.

The link is saying it's blocked in my country. Sad I'll be missing the intro since I paid for the whole episode.

I know a couple that got engaged after six weeks of dating. The woman dragged her then boyfriend into a jewelry store, put on a ring, and refused to take it off and made him buy it. And that’s how they got engaged (according to him). 30+ years of marriage and they’re still going strong.

6 hours ago, metheglyn said:

It's in the last 10 minutes, at least in the version on TLC's website. On the site the full episode starts with J&J visiting the birthing center for a birth class, then goes to the wedding, then right before they end they introduce Abbie (since she was *at* the wedding), and then they show the getaway car prank right as the episode closes.

The version on Amazon may be slightly different. The listed runtime for the episode on TLC is 86 min, but the listed runtime on Amazon is 1 hr 13 minutes, or only 73 minutes. I'm not sure what the runtime on the actual TV episode was since I can't see past days on the TLC airing schedule and I'm not home to check my DVR (I watched it on the TLC website). 

However the episode recap on the L&E fan blog has things happening in a slightly different order than what I watched and thus may be based on the TV episode if it's different than what either of us saw (unless she's just summarizing in a different order than what she saw in the episode). Overall though, it looks like you might have seen different footage/storylines depending on how you watched the episode. 

It’s super weird of TLC to have different “versions” of an episode. That makes no sense...

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

It’s super weird of TLC to have different “versions” of an episode. That makes no sense...

I could maybe see having different TV and online versions, since TV has airtime restrictions while online versions theoretically doesn't, but I don't see why Amazon and the TLC website streaming services have different versions. This really is odd.

10 hours ago, FleeJanaFree said:

My grandfather was in a vegetative state for several years before he died. My grandma lives about a half hour away from his nursing home, yet visited nearly every day and go to know his nursing staff well. My grandma doesn't drive anymore, but she makes a point to stop in to the nursing home every time she's in town/has the chance to visit her 'angels'.  I don't know If you meant 'specialized' or 'special' but the staff that cares for an overall thankless job is indeed special. If you have someone special to you in a home, be sure to verbally thank them, and to tip them well at Christmas/Hanukkah/every year/what have you.

I meant special. Unique, yes. Specialized needs, yes. Incredible lifetimes of stories and experiences to share - even if they're not capable of sharing - also, yes. I've worked in a nursing home, a memory care facility, and rounded with a geriatrician through rehab and long-term care facilities - and been blessed to know many wonderful elder individuals, families, and seen good & bad of both. I've read obituaries and been to memorials of people I've cared for. It seems like I might have offended you - none intended in the least. 

15 hours ago, metheglyn said:

I could maybe see having different TV and online versions, since TV has airtime restrictions while online versions theoretically doesn't, but I don't see why Amazon and the TLC website streaming services have different versions. This really is odd.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe they are planning a tlc go that will share the footage. iTunes is short too, so either it was a mistake or they have something else coming.

12 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

It seems like I might have offended you - none intended in the least. 

0 offense here. I am grateful for the special people who work in that specialized field. 

Just for balance: my aunt met and married her husband in eight weeks. 

They are still together 53 years (and two domestic violence arrests) later. She didn't know he had a previous divorce until six months into the marriage. She didn't know he had lost two jobs due to alcoholism. He lost a third shortly after they were married. 

She has spent 53 years being the enabler to an alcoholic. She is a very unhappy person. They adopted two kids who are textbook adult children of an alcoholic that barely function as adults. Her entire life revolves around serving and financially supporting her co-dependent adult children and keeping her husband drunk and quiet. He is incapable of even picking out his own clothes in the morning (not because of impairment but because he demands to be served all the way down to having his socks and underwear laid out for him every day lest he have to open a drawer himself). His impulsive spending (and the kids mooching off of them) has resulted in living in near poverty now. 

Not every fast courtship and marriage is happily ever after even if it lasts. 

My parents met on the Fourth of July and married the 24th of August. It was a big church wedding so they were engaged pretty much immediately. They've now been married 51 years.

Random, but these pictures were sent anonymously to the duggars tumblr. 

It’s crazy these weddings are so huge they need a whole banker’s box just for the receipts. 

80A02671-6E2A-4876-A75B-91CF6E1B0669.png

5 hours ago, zygote373 said:

It’s crazy these weddings are so huge they need a whole banker’s box just for the receipts. 

Well of course they are tracking wedding expenses. Boob has been putting JD’s TLC paychecks in a bank account. He only gets what is left over after paying for everything. 

6 hours ago, zygote373 said:

Honestly, that doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me. Having a whole banker's box doesn't necessarily mean they'll fill it, but in a house that size with that many people and that many disparate things to track it would make sense to have different file boxes for different substantial projects/events/etc. That way everything related to a given project/event can be easily kept together AND can be moved around in a way that a keeping materials in a filing cabinet would not allow.

If you look at the second picture you see that not even half of the box is filled so I don't think they will fill the entire box.

5 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

If you look at the second picture you see that not even half of the box is filled so I don't think they will fill the entire box.

Yeah, that doesn't look like it is that full to me, the wedding is in 2.5 weeks most things should be paid for by now. But usually stuff is in stages, deposits, if you have a long engagement you might make payments here and there, and you want to track that so you know how much you've paid on flowers, photographer, cake, church, reception hall, various rentals, wedding dress, bridesmaid dresses, tuxes/suits.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived