IGNORED

Maxwell 24: Juicing, Chiropracters, and Faux Insurance

Coconut Flan

Hello, all! I have been catching up on almost three years worth of Maxwell threads. It took a long time, since I kept falling azzzzzleeeeep . . . Oh, sorry -- dozed off again.

I have more reading to do -- haven't looked at some of the unnumbered threads, but wanted to say the following.

Re: the discussion (Thanksgiving 2016, I believe) about the Maxwell Parker House rolls looking like derrieres -- many people think that's what they should look like, hence this old limerick:

There was a young girl of Oak Knoll

Who thought it exceedingly droll,

At a masquerade ball

Dressed in nothing at all

To back in as a Parker House roll.

Re: fake glasses for OCC boxes: I think they should send these:

https://www.randyrainbow.com/product-page/official-randy-rainbow-signature-glasses

I have this pizza cutter, but never buy or make pizza. Perhaps I should use it for intergalactic lettuce:

Spoiler

image.png.6b7e9e67e2bae1c4a9f12b15718f5775.png

Finally, for @MamaJunebug, who compared Teri to a character from children's literature:

Spoiler

1208786018_eeyoreteri.jpg.e0b76471d354e0f5c5d9407dbd5a6d18.jpg

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that's neither a pie nor a tart.  Also, considering they had guests I hope they doubled or even tripled that recipe because that would feed *maybe* four people.  

It's a nine inch pie round.  Wouldn't that make at least 8 servings?  

Since the recipe is from their Austrian blog reader, I feel pretty confident in saying that this is just regular ol' cherry cake (Kirschkuchen). It's pretty much just basic yellow cake with cherries added (and yes, you just add them after you've poured the batter in the cake pan and they sink down just a bit). This is what it looks like on the inside:grafik.png.8664f6a9c95ee6d74e097e5025b7c1b7.png

It's a super basic recipe, but cakes like that are very popular in German-speaking countries.

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can sit and eat an entire plain pie crust. Just crust. Mmmmm...

My mom used to make three pies for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  An apple pie, a pumpkin pie, and a chocolate pudding pie.  She always made extra crust.  After the last pie came out of the oven she'd roll out the leftover crust into a round, plop in on a cookie sheet and spread butter on half of the crust.  Then she'd sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the butter, fold over the crust to make a half circle, and crimp the edges with a fork.  Lightly butter and sugar the top crust, and cut slits through it sideways.  Bake until done.  Her nose told her when it was ready.  As soon as it was out we kids would be lined up.  Mom always made us wait a few minutes for it to cool off some, then she'd cut it across in ribbons.  That stuff was heaven!

@0 kids n not countin,  Eeyore's my favorite!  I have one larger handmade stuffed Eeyore that I've had for more than 40 years, at least three smaller ones and even an Eeyore PEZ dispenser.  My Eeyore watch recently went missing when I went to Memphis to visit my daughter.  I wish I could find it.  It just needed a new battery.

12 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

It's a nine inch pie round.  Wouldn't that make at least 8 servings?  

If I had the cherries, I'd make it and find out.  I figure it would be 8 tiny servings of mostly fruit slop and maaaaaaybe a one-inch deep layer of cake on top.  I'm basing that on the amount of flour and butter in the original recipe.  So, I guess you could make a case that it's 8 healthy servings, but that wouldn't fly around here.  I like generous desserts (as my butt could testify)...    

@PennySycamore try eBay, you may find the watch that went missing.  I have a collection of Eeyore watches as well as various other Eeyore items, I'm a bit of an Eeyore fanatic, LOL!!

20181013_074438.jpg

Spoiler

20181013_074418.jpg

20181013_074222.jpg

20181013_074209.jpg

20181013_074136.jpg

1 hour ago, SoConfused said:

@thoughtful - considering falling down this rabbit hole, where would you suggest starting in the blog?

Wow - I don't know what to tell you. It's all so much the same. I was only catching up on FJ threads looking for fun and insightful things the wonderful folks here have said.

Definitely read the  summary at the top of their page, to get a feel for the lack of feeling:

27 minutes ago, 0 kids n not countin said:

Thoughtful, wah, please don't compare Teri to Eeyore,  I LOVE Eeyore.  ?

I'm sorry. I love Eeyore, too. But Teri's gray droopiness is rather reminiscent of Eeyore's look. I think Teri has a mean streak that Eeyore doesn't, though.

13 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Hello, all! I have been catching up on almost three years worth of Maxwell threads. It took a long time, since I kept falling azzzzzleeeeep . . . Oh, sorry -- dozed off again.

I have more reading to do -- haven't looked at some of the unnumbered threads, but wanted to say the following.

Re: the discussion (Thanksgiving 2016, I believe) about the Maxwell Parker House rolls looking like derrieres -- many people think that's what they should look like, hence this old limerick:

There was a young girl of Oak Knoll

Who thought it exceedingly droll,

At a masquerade ball

Dressed in nothing at all

To back in as a Parker House roll.

Re: fake glasses for OCC boxes: I think they should send these:

https://www.randyrainbow.com/product-page/official-randy-rainbow-signature-glasses

I have this pizza cutter, but never buy or make pizza. Perhaps I should use it for intergalactic lettuce:

Hide contents

image.png.6b7e9e67e2bae1c4a9f12b15718f5775.png

Finally, for @MamaJunebug, who compared Teri to a character from children's literature:

Hide contents

1208786018_eeyoreteri.jpg.e0b76471d354e0f5c5d9407dbd5a6d18.jpg

I have never felt so loved!!!!!!!!! 

2 hours ago, Flossie said:

My mom used to make three pies for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  An apple pie, a pumpkin pie, and a chocolate pudding pie.  She always made extra crust.  After the last pie came out of the oven she'd roll out the leftover crust into a round, plop in on a cookie sheet and spread butter on half of the crust.  Then she'd sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the butter, fold over the crust to make a half circle, and crimp the edges with a fork.  Lightly butter and sugar the top crust, and cut slits through it sideways.  Bake until done.  Her nose told her when it was ready.  As soon as it was out we kids would be lined up.  Mom always made us wait a few minutes for it to cool off some, then she'd cut it across in ribbons.  That stuff was heaven!

My grandma and mom would always do this as well. There's nothing better than the leftover pie crust covered in cinnamon and sugar!

3 hours ago, Flossie said:

After the last pie came out of the oven she'd roll out the leftover crust into a round, plop in on a cookie sheet and spread butter on half of the crust.  Then she'd sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the butter, fold over the crust to make a half circle, and crimp the edges with a fork.  Lightly butter and sugar the top crust, and cut slits through it sideways.  Bake until done.

My mother always baked the leftover crust for me when I was child.  That was the best part of her pie baking.  Thanks for reminding me.

23 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

@Thoughtful welcome back!!  I haven't seen you in ages, missed your posts!

Thanks! I've been around. I'm just making myself catch up on threads before I post about that person or family. Started with The Tool, JillRod, BroGary and a few others, and now the denizens of Leavenworth Maxwell Penitentiary.

Perhaps I'll tackle Lori next, or maybe discover the weirdness that is Gwen Shamblin. Decisions, decisions . . .

6 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Thanks! I've been around. I'm just making myself catch up on threads before I post about that person or family. Started with The Tool, JillRod, BroGary and a few others, and now the denizens of Leavenworth Maxwell Penitentiary.

Perhaps I'll tackle Lori next, or maybe discover the weirdness that is Gwen Shamblin. Decisions, decisions . . .

Let me know when you head into Gwen so I can make sure the ferrets are on high alert in case you need rescuing.  

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Let me know when you head into Gwen so I can make sure the ferrets are on high alert in case you need rescuing. 

Thanks. If I start reading about her, will I lose weight by osmosis?

19 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Thanks. If I start reading about her, will I lose weight by osmosis?

More likely from gagging.  

On 10/12/2018 at 9:13 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can sit and eat an entire plain pie crust. Just crust. Mmmmm...

Something you have in common with Teri!

18 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

It doesn't look like it makes much if any crust.  I'm not sure what it is closest to in the dessert line.  It isn't really a clafoutis, but that's possibly closer than anything else.  It doesn't look like any cobbler that I've ever had and it isn't a pie either.  

I googled this pair of definitions to confirm my understanding of fruit tart vs fruit torte:

A fruit tart, for instance, has a pie-like pastry shell -- bottom and sides, no top crust -- while a fruit torte looks like a flat cake with fruit peeking out the sides or perhaps the top.

The general definition of a torte is any rich cake, of which fruit tortes are a subset, more common in Europe than in the US, I think. The batter often includes almond or hazelnut flour in addition to wheat flour.

Thanks.  That description does sound more like what the Maxwells have presented.  I plan to make one after I go to the store for frozen cherries which will probably be tomorrow.  Almost all the torte photos don't look at all like what the Maxwells produced though.  I did find one that looked closer to what they produced.

image.png

19 minutes ago, griffin said:

My midwest grandma called that pie crust/ butter/ cinnamon combo a "jimcrack".

I love that.  My mom and gramma did the same but we didn't have a name for it.

On 10/11/2018 at 1:48 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I have never read them, but is it possible she's writing for a specific demographic with which her style would resonate?  

I think she writes this way because she isn't a natural writer, she doesn't read and she must avoid all things that might be considered bad by Steve. She also is basing her books off her family so there is a distant mother who basically stays in bed all the time avoiding her children, a father who is super preachy and children who don't behave in developmentally appropriate ways and apologize for having even the slightest disagreement. It is written in the most bland style ever. 

Obviously there is a market for it because people buy them and there were even comments asking her to write books for teen girls, but I don't think this is a case of her being able to write better and writing this way for a certain demographic. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived