IGNORED

Lori Alexander 53: Mourning Mom ... Maybe

55 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I think it can depend where you are and how ethical the person selling food is. The people I mentioned who make salsa orginally stood outside a grocery store selling their home canned salsa. The local police came by and gave them a warning.

Being ethical people who were just very naïve, they took the warning to heart and learned all the rules and regulations, and now follow said rules. Someone who wants to flout the regulations probably can get away with it here too, if they're as unprincipled as your sister-in-law. 

Totally agree. 

But I also don't think the type of people that follow Lori would have much of an ethical issue with just doing what they want under the table as my idiot SiL does. 

A friend in college who was raised quite evangelical sold massive quantities of Christmas cookies every year out of her kitchen before she had kids. Her mother had done the same for years. They didn't care that it violated health department regulations or that they should have been paying sales tax and reporting the income. She did it out of our kitchen when we lived together for a year after college and firmly believed that the rules didn't apply to her. 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I

5 hours ago, Frog99 said:

Are they still in the basement? I saw an entry for mid-June that said the husband “confronted” the host about something. The host removed his name from the bond and had the husband put back in jail and asked her to leave. She posted that they have a new place “courtesy of” their “very kind church”. 

My heart breaks for those kids. Their parents don’t have good executive functioning skills. Put the kids in Head Start/public school (where they will likely get breakfast and lunch), use subsidized daycare for the ones too young for school, apply for TANF and other relevant benefits, and engage in some sort of educational or vocational training program that will ease some of the difficulties likely to be faced in raising 8 children. 

I don't think people just take their names off bonds and have the person sent back to jail when nicely confronted lol. I wouldn't be surprised if it was quite threatening. But seriously 10-20 years for attempted second degree murder? What the fuck did this guy do to his neighbor? The mother is seriously risking having her children taken away. Allowing a violent man to keep coming back; not having housing; not being able to feed them; the sheer number of children in small areas like basements isn't  healthy, I don't think she is making wise choices at all. 

And many of these people don't care about regulations because it's the ebil government  "hindering their freedom.

Yes, he is back in the parish jail.  He was bonded back in on 5/31/18.  This had to be pretty serious with some degree of credible evidence if the DA is maintaining the charges against him after almost two years and the judge is putting up with a bunch of continuances.  

I continue to wonder about this "basement" business.  Unless the house is raised due to flooding potential, and there's a semi-finished first floor that's not really part of the house as far as legal living, we have only slab houses in this area.  There's no real basements like you find in homes further north.  This really may be a deplorable living condition.

Yes many people honestly just don't know. Many states have cottage laws that can help. I don't think our country is particularly small business friendly, IMHO. It's a struggle for many. 

In the rural midwest area where I grew up, it was very common for women to run unlicensed home beauty salons. They did hair cuts, perms, dye jobs and up-dos for weddings and proms. Cash only, of course. These were born out of (sorta) necessity b/c getting to a bigger town with a "real" salon wasn't always convenient. Maybe with the proliferation of Cost Cutters and their ilk the home salons have closed? Maybe there are still a few operating out there.

4 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

I

I don't think people just take their names off bonds and have the person sent back to jail when nicely confronted lol. I wouldn't be surprised if it was quite threatening. But seriously 10-20 years for attempted second degree murder? What the fuck did this guy do to his neighbor? The mother is seriously risking having her children taken away. Allowing a violent man to keep coming back; not having housing; not being able to feed them; the sheer number of children in small areas like basements isn't  healthy, I don't think she is making wise choices at all. 

And many of these people don't care about regulations because it's the ebil government  "hindering their freedom.

I agree totally about the taking the name off the bond part. I’ve never heard of that, and in the first half of my career, many of my clients were arrested/had criminal histories/had family members incarcerated. I also thought her word choice was interesting- saying he “confronted” the person. My guess is that there were some threats made or other conditions violated. I’m not sure I would “confront” anyone allowing me and my family a place to stay for free. 

I remember reading something about the original assault- their story doesn’t make sense and the neighbor was seriously injured. 

In regards to side businesses and no licenses/taxes/etc, I saw a FB shared by someone urging people to be careful. Supposedly she had a side photography business and used FB/other social media to advertise. The IRS tracked her and she now owes a substantial amount of money- she had to get a part-time job and everything her husband has worked for is at risk (she made it sound like her money was just spending money- to me it sounded kind of wasteful). I don’t know if it’s all true or not, but I wouldn’t be surprised. It’s also possible that a legit photographer turned her in.  

@Florita, I saw this kind of thing when I first visited rural New Brunswick (Canada) in the ‘70s—things like neighborhood stores housed right in someone’s living room.

My mom is a licensed barber. She hasn’t practiced in years. Quit before I was born but renewed the license because it was cheap and she could get salon brands for super cheap. She would sometimes cut or die People’s hair. She never made that much money at it or did it that often.

2 hours ago, Florita said:

Maybe there are still a few operating out there.

Oh yes they are still operating!  I went to a lady in another town that had a full salon in her basement.... and I have a lady in this town, who makes house calls and also operates in a former gas station from time to time.

1 hour ago, Lgirlrocks said:

renewed the license because it was cheap and she could get salon brands for super cheap.

The employee discount was the best part of working for L'O. I still have a crap ton of stuff.  Scary to think about paying retail for it when it runs out.

Do you have to pay taxes on a Go Fund Me?

The thought just struck. Someone we know just ran one to help with unexpected business costs.

23 hours ago, fluffy said:

This guy is a skinny white guy.

I'm sure there are skinny black guys in Angola too. Not all black guys are big burly Mandingos. It may have been better to leave race out of it.

46 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

It may have been better to leave race out of it.

I agree. Thank you for letting me know. My apologies!

21 hours ago, CelticGoddess said:

I have a friend who made cakes for friends/family.  She didn't go beyond that because she would have to rent a space to bake her cakes because even though her house is clean, she would't pass a commercial kitchen inspection because her kitchen was so small and cluttered.  She made more money by keeping it to family and friends than if she were to become a business.

I don't understand. How did she make money at all if it wasn't a business? Surely selling to family and friends is still selling? Or is there an amount under which it's not a business?

56 minutes ago, Petronella said:

I don't understand. How did she make money at all if it wasn't a business? Surely selling to family and friends is still selling? Or is there an amount under which it's not a business?

I have a friend who does this. Her cakes really are lovely. She only sells to friends & family, doesn't have a business name or website and never advertises. She makes cash to put back into her cake hobby + a little spending money. 

37 minutes ago, EowynW said:

I have a friend who does this. Her cakes really are lovely. She only sells to friends & family, doesn't have a business name or website and never advertises. She makes cash to put back into her cake hobby + a little spending money. 

Does that mean she doesn't need to report the income? (I'm genuinely asking.)

As for professional standards requirements, I assume there is some level of exception, like bake sales that raise money for schools.

Does anyone know what the definition is that makes a hobby-with-money become a business? Or is any hobby where money changes hands a business?

37 minutes ago, Petronella said:

As for professional standards requirements, I assume there is some level of exception, like bake sales that raise money for schools.

Does anyone know what the definition is that makes a hobby-with-money become a business? Or is any hobby where money changes hands a business?

It's in the amount you actually earn. The threshold used to be $600 -- I'm not sure what it is now. 

As a self-employed person, I would recommend that anyone who wants to go into business for themselves research tax stuff very, very carefully. Taxes for self-employed people are NOT inexpensive. And you've got to make sure you're paying them because if you don't, you're not just short-changing the gov't (which a lot of people wouldn't care about anyway) but *yourself*. When you're employed, your employer pays half your social security taxes. Take a look at any paycheck to see how much is taken out for SS. Then double it. That's what you'll owe as a self-employed person. And when you don't pay it, your wages aren't included in your social security retirement estimate. It's like you never made that money. No biggie now, maybe, but you will hardcore regret it when it comes time to retire because you won't be able to unless you've got a sweet ira stashed away somewhere or family $$$.

So if you want to be self-employed: Don't screw yourself over by playing with taxes. 

ETA: And that's all if you don't get caught. The consequences are even more dire if you do get caught.

ETA2: https://creativeadvisormarketing.com/do-i-have-to-pay-taxes/

16 hours ago, Florita said:

In the rural midwest area where I grew up, it was very common for women to run unlicensed home beauty salons. They did hair cuts, perms, dye jobs and up-dos for weddings and proms. Cash only, of course. These were born out of (sorta) necessity b/c getting to a bigger town with a "real" salon wasn't always convenient. Maybe with the proliferation of Cost Cutters and their ilk the home salons have closed? Maybe there are still a few operating out there.

There's a lady my mom knows in the next town over who has a small salon(one sink, two hair dryers)in the building behind her house. I think she only works a couple days a week. I have no idea if it's under the table or not.

1 hour ago, Petronella said:

I have no idea if she does or not, honestly. I know quite a few people who will do side hobbies for a bit of cash. But everyone I personally know who has their own official business (vs a side hobby for fun) is legal and set up correctly. My friends with hobbies never advertise and it's all word of mouth and stuff like cakes, sewing or making baby blankets, repurposing bits of furniture, etc for a family member or friend. But they do get a bit of cash to keep their hobby going and help their families. This applies to both fundie & secular friends of mine. 

There was quite a bustling cash-under-the-table and barter economy going in the fundy world when we lived in it. I don’t think they thought about the Social Security aspect of it because they fully believed SS would be gone by the wayside some day, and their kids would be their social net.

One reason to have lots of kids—to support you in your old age. Unfortunately, it’s a two-edged sword. They’ve got to be able to make a living to support a single-income family with lots of children PLUS elderly parents (potentially two couples, his and hers), yet if you educate the younger generation properly (according to the world, not the Word) so they can make a good income, you’re in danger of them walking away.

Anyhow, I don’t remember any talk of “rendering unto Caesar” in fundy circles. (ETA: I do remember some outrage when there was talk of the IRS figuring out how to tax bartered time and skills at one point)

So I got the feeling that Lori would post a more controversial post soon because her other posts didn't get enough attention recently. In this one, she calls women blasphemer if they aren't fulfilling a very narrow set of rules so I'd say this could be it but maybe not. Her working women posts do tend to draw quite a bit of controversy. However, I do expect she gearing up for another outrageous one for attention. 

And for goodness sakes anyone who's actually read the passage knows that it's not the wives blaspheming if they don't do those things. The passage literally explains it quite clearly * bangs head on table* How can a "biblical" teacher be so gosh darn biblically illiterate? She probably blocked the rest of the verses out because they don't have to do with women.

Some of the comments from lori’s latest post. Does she not realize you can be a keeper of the home and work? In biblical times it wasn’t safe for women to go out on their own. That’s why most of them worked out of their home. 

1DECDA30-CBE9-465F-B611-A674D9E6BE29.png

19 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

Some of the comments from lori’s latest post. Does she not realize you can be a keeper of the home and work? In biblical times it wasn’t safe for women to go out on their own. That’s why most of them worked out of their home. 

1DECDA30-CBE9-465F-B611-A674D9E6BE29.png

The Proverbs 31 woman was productive and did more than just make babies and stay at home! The woman described in the Bible did more, and actually did things I'd consider work. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that women can't go out and work. A keeper at home can do multiple things, not just clean. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived