IGNORED

America as a partiarchal and dominionist nation

Letgo

As I read the blogs each day, I often wonder what our world would be like if everyone followed the beliefs of the Maxwells, Bill Gothard, Vision Forum, the Botkins, etc. How would the infrastructure of our country function if all women were at home with their dozen or so children and all men had their own businesses? (Although, I suppose if everyone had the "right" beliefs it might not be necessary for all of the men to be self-employed.) Are there even enough men to take over all the jobs in the country? Would women be allowed to work at all? Say as a nurse or doctor, in order to prevent defrauding in medical situations? Would "government" schools be eliminated since children could be homeschooled by their mothers and older sisters? We wouldn't need books for pleasure reading, so no fiction! Science books would be limited, history books rewritten, certain biographies (those about courageous, strong, manly hero types) would be big, and most colleges and universities would close since they would not be needed and are evil to boot. There would be no fields of study for psychology or psychiatry and all related drugs would not be manufactured-or needed! No bad news would be published or broadcast. Police forces could certainly be cut back because everyone would be behaving well, right? Or would we need them to round up any dissenters? I keep imagining these isolated families existing as self-sufficient entities in late 1800s style. So, how do you think a patriarchal and dominionist country would look? Would Canada need heavily armed guards at her border? :D

It would probably be a lot like in A Handmaid's Tale. I think Atwood was spot on with that one. It was written before fundamentalism got big, but boy did she seem to know the ins and outs.

Archived