IGNORED

White Anxiety - Politics that run skin-deep

Drala

The deputy assistant secretary for refugees and migration, a foreign service officer promoted by the White House to an unusually senior position for his rank, disputed the idea that leaders have a "duty" to condemn hate speech and incitement, and repeatedly rejected use of the words nationalism, populism, and xenophobia.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/29/politics/veprek-state-dept-un-racism/index.html?sr=twCNNp062918veprek-state-dept-un-racism0408PMStory&CNNPolitics=Tw

From the article @Drala posted above:

And he repeatedly argues against using the word "xenophobia," or the fear of foreigners, writing in side notes that he has concerns over "the malleability of the term now and in the future."

"[W]hat real or perceived offense is next to be considered 'xenophobic?'" he writes. "How does that square with our historic respect for the right of free expression? The drafters need to focus on behavior and actions - which states can control - rather than attitudes and states of mind."

At the rally today, I saw several signs that said "Your xenophobia should not be mistaken for patriotism."  As @Drala mentions above, I guess now we can't even use the "x" word freely in the Trumpreich. 

I've said this before, but what those racists are afraid of is being treated the same way they treat those who aren't white, straight, Protestant, and male.

I wonder whats going to happen once white (especially for white males) do end up becoming the minority.

8 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

I wonder whats going to happen once white (especially for white males) do end up becoming the minority.

No need to wonder -- it's what is happening right now. 

Accidently posted the Ron Paul tweet, too. Can't delete the jpg.  Gross, to say the least. 

RonPaul.jpg

I saw that earlier today (not from Ron Paul, but that Ron had posted it).

I am probably being dense, but I don't get his point (I do get that it's gross and hateful). What point was he supposed to be making?

1 hour ago, apple1 said:

I saw that earlier today (not from Ron Paul, but that Ron had posted it).

I am probably being dense, but I don't get his point (I do get that it's gross and hateful). What point was he supposed to be making?

It's a far-right critique of cultural shifts that posits that there is a sort of fifth column of powerful progressives acting behind the scenes to purposefully undermine western culture, including traditional European art, fashion, literature, and music, as well as social norms in order to create such a disorder that they will be able to consolidate their power and enact worldwide communism. 

It's closely related to the "Jews control the world" conspiracy theories. There's lots of anti-Semitism wrapped up in it (it hearkens back to the Third Reich belief that modern art and jazz were created and propagated by Jewish Bolsheviks). Most who believe in the conspiracy believe that Jews are the key, if not the only, members of this fifth column. George Soros in particular is considered a prominent member. 

Things as innocuous as Obama having his official portrait done in a more modern style was accused of cultural Marxism (there was actually a Daily Caller article on this). I've seen things as far flung as birth control, leggings, gay marriage, body piercings, Beyonce, and surrealist art accused of cultural Marxism.

Buchanan has used the term, and it's also popular with incels. And it's embarrassing for me to share this as a libertarian, but it's also big in some libertarian circles (a big reason why I'm not a member of the official party in any way).

23 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

I’d like to think things will get better in time as their numbers dwindle, but I fear it won’t. They won’t go down without a fight and it might get worse for a bit. 

9 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Campaigning while black: 

The Root tore that up  She is awesome!  <3  But that never ever should have happened.

Sweet Rufus.

• 2 weeks later...

Look at what happened to a well-known actor: "Police held ‘Mission: Impossible’ actor Ving Rhames at gunpoint for entering his own home"

Spoiler

The “Mission: Impossible” series returned to theaters this weekend, prompting a press tour that led franchise actor Ving Rhames to recount another real-life recurring story in America — that of a black man being accosted by police for attempting to enter his own house.

Rhames shared his story on Sirius XM’s “Clay Cane Show” on Friday. As the actor told it, he had just returned to his home in Santa Monica and was watching ESPN when there was a knock at the door. Wearing only basketball shorts, he rose to answer it.

“I get up, I open the door, and there’s a red dot pointed at my face from a 9-millimeter, and they say, ‘Put up your hands.’ Literally,” he said. “Now, I just walked and opened up the door.”

The police, he said, told him to open the door with one hand and exit the house. One officer kept a pistol trained on him as he walked outside, where Rhames found another officer, the captain of police and a police dog.

Suddenly, one of the officers recognized Rhames — not because he was an actor but because the two men’s high school-age sons played against each other in basketball. The situation de-escalated, but Rhames naturally wanted to know why they came to his house in the first place.

“He said to me, ‘A woman called 911 [and] said a large black man was breaking into the house. And so we came,’ ” Rhames told Cane.

Santa Monica Police Department Lt. Saul Rodriguez confirmed the incident in an interview Sunday with The Washington Post, but he said it happened on July 29, 2016. Rhames said in the interview, “This is the God’s honest truth. This happened this year.”

Rodriguez also said that the weapons did not include the type of laser sight or any other equipment which would project a red dot.

The department also released an official statement through its Facebook page that bore many similarities to Rhames’s account:

On July 29, 2016 at about 1:52 p.m., Santa Monica Public Safety Dispatch received several calls from residents of a possible residential burglary in the 800 block of 23rd Street in Santa Monica. The reporting parties indicated a black male was seen entering a residence and did not live there. Officers from the Santa Monica Police Department (SMPD) responded to the area with the information available to them. Within minutes, officers arrived at the residence. As officers were assessing the residence, they encountered the resident at the front door. Officers recognized the resident and the situation was quickly de-escalated with no use of force occurring. The resident was identified as Ving Rhames.

The statement added that after the incident, the department launched a program called Meet Your Neighbors “to address situations such as this. The program was designed to encourage neighbors to step out of their comfort zones and get to know each other over coffee, ice cream or block party. The Santa Monica Police Department encourages neighbors to become familiar with each other to avoid similar situations.”

If the situation sounds familiar, that’s because it is.

Henry Louis Gates Jr., one of the nation’s most prominent African American scholars, was infamously arrested in 2009 for trying to force open his own locked front door. “This is what happens to black men in America,” Gates said at the time. More recently, Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson was forced to apologize after at least six Philadelphia Police Department officers arrested two black men at one of the chain’s shops. A white employee had called the police on the men, who hadn’t yet ordered because they were waiting for an associate.

Though police apologized to Rhames for the incident, he said it instilled in him fear for his children’s safety.

“What if it was my son, and he had a video game remote or something, and [the police] thought it was a gun, just like Trayvon [Martin] had a bag of Skittles?” he said.

Archived