IGNORED

Border Patrol Disasters

candygirl200413

11 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

One of the prison camps is closing 

With Wretch McTurtle in control I have a sad feeling the bill won't get anywhere.

• Upvote 2

Senator Merkley (D-OR) is openly considering running for President in 2020.  He's been popping up more and more speaking up against the Orange Toddler, testing the waters.  More power to him, but at this point Beto O’Rourke, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and Kamala Harris are more likely candidates.

Edited by Flossie
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 2

Thinking back to the chaos and lack of accountability over the original child separation policy, that had no process in place to reunite children and parents, I don't necessarily see this as a good thing AT THIS MOMENT. 

I base that on ICE dumping about 200 immigrants, many with children, at the El Paso bus station, with zero resources,  on Dec. 22.  No food, no money.  It was 40 damn degrees.  Fortunately, El Pasoans and local shelters stepped up to help, but still. 

I just don't trust ICE to do anything with any degree of organization, integrity or decency at this moment in time. They seem to NGAF, and right now they are working without pay, because Dept. of Homeland Security is unfunded during the shut down.  Not a good situation for these kids. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 10

I tried to come up with a comment for this post, and I can't I just can't.

US says 2nd Guatemalan child has died in immigration custody

U.S. Customs and Border Protection said in a news release that the boy died shortly after midnight Tuesday.

The boy showed “signs of potential illness” Monday and was taken with his father to a hospital in Alamogordo, New Mexico, the agency said. There, he was diagnosed with a cold and a fever, was given prescriptions for amoxicillin and Ibuprofen and released Monday afternoon after being held 90 minutes for observation, the agency said.

The boy was returned to the hospital Monday evening with nausea and vomiting and died there just hours later, CBP said.

The agency said the cause of the boy’s death has not been determined and that it has notified the Department of Homeland Security’s inspector general and the Guatemalan government.

CBP promised “an independent and thorough review of the circumstances.”

The border agency has not yet said when the father and son entered the United States or how long they were detained, saying only in its statement that the boy had been “previously apprehended.”

Alamogordo is about 90 miles (145 kilometers) from the U.S.-Mexico border at El Paso, Texas. Ruben Garcia, director of El Paso’s Annunciation House, said Tuesday that he had no reason to believe his shelter had served the family, but was waiting for further details about what happened.

A CBP spokesman declined to elaborate Tuesday, but said more details would be released shortly.

A 7-year-old Guatemalan girl died earlier this month after being apprehended by border agents. The body of the girl, Jakelin Caal, was returned to her family’s remote village Monday.

CBP announced new notification procedures in response to Jakelin’s death, which was not revealed until several days later.

Democratic members of Congress and immigration advocates sharply criticized CBP’s handling of the death and questioned whether border agents could have prevented it.

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 6

Someone on Twitter (I wish I would have paid more attention to her Twitter handle) has been writing, blogging and tweeting about hieleras (freezers) as a form of de facto torture in CBP detention cells for the last 10 years.  Sweaters and jackets are often taken away and detainees are given only thin reflective sheets (Mylar) for warmth, if that; there are no sleeping mats, so people (including children) are sleeping on the floor. 

There is no soap available for hand washing and usually there is no option for showers, so hygiene is abysmal.  Perfect set up for contagious respiratory and gastrointestinal illnesses. 

The woman I referenced in the first sentence has reviewed many many medical records for detained children; her review showed that every single child had a cough upon release. 

Human Rights Watch released two articles about these conditions in February 2018  

US: Freezing Cells for Detained Migrants  Degrading Treatment by Border Official

Summary: Abusive Conditions for Women and Children in CBP holding cells 

Edited by Howl
  • WTF 7

What the fuck is the reason for this torture? Why would you do this, America? Because it isn't just during this hideous administration that women, children and infants are purposely being tortured in this way. This has been going on for at least ten years, so even during the Obama presidency! 

I am beyond appalled.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Someone on Twitter (I wish I would have paid more attention to her Twitter handle) has been writing, blogging and tweeting about hieleras (freezers) as a form of de facto torture in CBP detention cells for the last 10 years.  

@aurabogado? 

THANKS YOU! Yes, that's her.  I think Sarah Kendzior retweeted her.  I just found her on twitter and am following her now. 

• Disgust 5

This is the topic I dread opening .

I will never understand how trump supporters can tuck their own well fed children into warm , dry comfortable beds and then turn a blind eye to the absolute horror that is happening in their country. It takes a special kind of monster to be able to support/ignore these policies .

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

How to say Happy New Year to migrants, Border Patrol-style.

• Upvote 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 4
  • WTF 1

42 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

How to say Happy New Year to migrants, Border Patrol-style.

I'm so angry, I can't... even...

My best friend and I are working our way through the Secrets of the Dead documentary series. yesterday, we watched one about the man who saved the world, a Russian who chose not to fire missiles on the United States during the most tense part of the Cuban missile crisis. Even though I grew up in the time when the Russians were our sworn enemy, I listened with a lot of difficulty to the very, very harsh conditions those poor Russians had to experience who were in the submarines. Their cooling system has gone out and it was unbelievably hot in those submarines. If I can feel such empathy toward enemy combatants, I'm even more disgusted by our treatment of these asylum seekers, especially since children are involved.

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

I hope it wins every every single one.

• I Agree 7

This is horrifying.

(thread)

• Angry 2
  • Disgust 2
  • WTF 5

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

You had better get to work, then.

So if the Trump administration decides that it's too much work to reunite these children what is going to happen to them? Will they grow to adulthood in these prison camps that we have forced them to live in? What then? 

• Upvote 3

The Trump Admin says it would be too difficult to try to reunite 1000’s of separated families. “Analysts would have to work 8 hrs each day for btwn 7 & 15 months to ‘even begin reconciling’ data on separated families.”

There's a subtext here.  We're not going to work too hard to rip brown children from the arms of white Evangelical Christians who are fostering these kids, and return them to their poorer brown parents.  And yes, Bethany Christian Services is involved with foster placement for some of these children and I'd be interested in knowing if other church-affiliated adoption agencies are involved.  And of course Bethany Christian Services has connections to Betsy DeVos' various in-laws. 

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • GreyhoundFan locked, unlocked and locked this topic