IGNORED

Maxwell 21: Deliberately Hiding the Truth Again

Coconut Flan

I don’t get the point in buying a house he’s going to rent out. And where do they get the money to buy these houses? I’m doing something wrong with my life. 

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I don’t get the point in buying a house he’s going to rent out. And where do they get the money to buy these houses? I’m doing something wrong with my life. 

my first question would be, where is he working and what is his salary?  he's 23 and if he finished Maxwell Academy at 18, he has had 5 years to work.  older houses in their area seem to be similar to where i live.  Jesse's house looks like a modest mid-century split-level.  un-renovated, those can be had in my area for about $80k to $100k.  let's go low for Jesse and say he paid $80k.  so he'd need to have stashed $16k per year since age 18.  since there will be closing costs and taxes, he will have some more expense, so let's round that up to $17k/year.  so he needs to have earned at least that much per year to have about $85k at closing.  he's living rent-free with Stevehova, but is Stevie also paying for Jesse's car?  smart phone?  lattes?  plaid shirts?  probably not, so Jesse has to be grossing about $23-25k per year (and what is he doing to earn it?!?).  it's not a lot, but when Daddy pays one's housing expenses, it's easy to be frugal.  for many people, housing is a huge portion of monthly expenses--rent (or mortgage/taxes), electric, gas, water, internet/phone, and general maintenance.  if i didn't have to pay these things every month, i could stash away thousands per year, too.  since Stevie lives in an alternate universe, he doesn't realize that not every parent is comfortably middle-class and therefore able to house and support multiple adult children.

Yes, Jesse lives at home rent free and I expect they cover food too.  

He used to work for CCI as a "creative" IIRC.  After their recent reshuffling he works for Swift Otter as:

Frontend artist and builder. Accomplisher of difficult projects that move a merchant's success needle into burst mode.

Whatever that means.  But I expect things like phones and computers are all business expenses so he doesn't have to pay for those either.

Jesse (23) worked hard to save over the past years and be wise with his expenditures.

Well with most things covered Jesse probably only has to buy his own clothes, take a sibling out to lunch occasionally, buy them birthday and Xmas gifts, and pay for his own kayak on what is usually called a vacation.

Undoubtedly every large expenditure, as for a car, requires a Family Meeting and much prayer to decide what Jesse can be allowed to purchase.

What amuses me is that although Jesse was supposedly watching the housing market he didn't actually buy a house until:

• Some "friends" came over and "casually mentioned" the rental house next door.
  • Jesse "had the idea" to contact the owner and ask if he wanted to sell it.
  • "Would you believe, the man was just about to list his house?!" 

No, not really.  Perhaps it was a coincidence or perhaps Jesse made him an offer he didn't want to refuse. 

But to the Maxwells it was certainly God at work.  Of course they are all praising the Lord for the answer to prayer.

Hopping on board the Idle Speculation Bus, perhaps the "friends" have a daughter.

Does anyone here see Sarah, Anna or Mary ever getting married?

1 hour ago, Lgirlrocks said:

And where do they get the money to buy these houses? I’m doing something wrong with my life. 

Because the "young people" don't pay bills, go to restaurants or theaters or museums, play organized sports or indulge in any hobbies that are fun that cost money, and they only eat one burrito with a few animal crackers every day.   (Which Steve is precious and sweet and faithful to provide for them).

I could probably buy a house by now too, if all my "hobbies" were free: (reading the Bible, lifting weights, cleaning ceiling fans, going hiking, watching other people's kids, taking pictures for the blog, packaging up books...)

12 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Nope. Nope. And Nope.

And if we are superduper lucky, Chelsy will let something slip about Jesse's future helpmeet.

18 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

It could happen. Unlikely, but it could possibly happen.

It might take something apocalyptic, though. As long as Steve's still in charge and Teri's still drinking the Flavor-Aid, it's probably near impossible. If those two suddenly disappeared, maybe. I could see the daughters-in-law encouraging them and helping them find husbands, if only so their own husbands don't have to support them forever.

13 hours ago, Rosie said:

Downcounty resident here, and I am right there with you.

My dream is to retire to New England in another ~6-8 years.

I work in MoCo. Didn't know there were so many locals on here! We should meet up for lunch and bitch about Steve Maxwell, home prices, and traffic :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

It's a pretty good way to earn some (mostly) passive income. I'm envious, honestly. If I lived in a lower COL area I'd totally do it. 

I do wonder where they get the money for these houses. I know Nebraska is cheap to live in, but they aren't even just coming up with the down payment, they're buying the house in full. I think for all of Steve Maxwell's "don't spoil your kids" rhetoric he gives his sons lots of cash handouts. 

I lived rent free at my parents house through college and I worked full time. I have nowhere near that much saved. But I also had to pay for my own bills. 

1 minute ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I lived rent free at my parents house through college and I worked full time. I have nowhere near that much saved. But I also had to pay for my own bills. 

Yeah, I lived at a really reduced rent with my mom all through college and a few years afterwards. I worked full-time (and picked up odd jobs) and was saving like a fiend just to afford a down payment. I still didn't  have just the down payment saved by the time I was 23. And seriously, I can be a bit obsessive about things sometimes and I really was saving like a mad woman (super cheap food, cutting my own hair, not going out at all). 

I think there's lots of handouts in the Maxwell family. Which is their business, but it's pretty annoying how Steve sells his family set up to others. 

27 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Nope. Nope. And Nope.

And if we are superduper lucky, Chelsy will let something slip about Jesse's future helpmeet.

The one I see most likely to get married in the next few years is Anna. I think Sarah’s ship has sailed. Mary just seems so damn immature. But Anna seems to really love kids and probably wants a family really bad. So maybe Steve will allow it if a suitable guy comes along. But even that seems unlikely with all Steve’s rules...

There may have been some amount of fudging on the debt-free front. As in Stevus lending Jesse a big chunk of cash and Jesse paying it back over time with a combination of rental income + whatever he earns at Swift Otter. 

No better way to control an adult son with an income stream and (gasp) his own bedroom than controlling the purse strings. This way means he won't be able to pull a John and go travelling, choose a fundie maiden with a personality and generally push Maxhell to its limits. 

regarding the photo of Jesse at closing:  was he defrauded by the woman in the black sleeveless top?  

14 hours ago, Rosie said:

Downcounty resident here, and I am right there with you.

My dream is to retire to New England in another ~6-8 years.

I've lived in New England all my life, and now dh and I are considering moving away.  No idea where to go yet.

3 hours ago, catlady said:

here's my guided tour on board the Idle Speculation Bus:  the current tenants of the house plan on leaving at the end of their lease, and the owner didn't want to go through the process of finding new occupants; he (of course "he," as no self-respecting Maxwell manly-man would buy real estate from a lowly female) was also tired of being a landlord, so he was looking to dump the house at minimal profit.  Jesse, meanwhile, is not in a relationship in the same vein that he does not go on vacations to Colorado.  he is in the early stages of courtship with a sheltered fundie girl whose headship father doesn't like the rock-star lifestyle of bloggers, so this family is thoroughly anonymous.  while the young lady in question may have a social media account somewhere, it's locked down and completely private.  therefore, Steve has approved the match; he's still smarting from the Bontrager debacle.  we will hear not another word about Jesse's house, and very little of Jesse, until the Thanksgiving 2019 post when Sarah throws in a photo at the end (with a badly-written caption) of Jesse, his bride of 42 weeks, and their newborn baby who was delivered in the paid-for-in-cash house a few days earlier.

The next Maxwell thread title really needs to be 'Living the rock-star lifestyle of bloggers.' 

I don't think buying a house to rent out is a bad idea. 

Since he doesn't need the monthly rent money to pay a mortgage, he can save it or invest it.  Being a landlord can provide a nice monthly income.

He and his brothers seem to be fairly handy, so they can do most repairs themselves.

Tbh, I think this is smarter than buying houses and letting them sit until a bride comes along, like his brothers did.

Dear sweet Rufus, how can there be 61 responses to their Aldi post?

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

Dear sweet Rufus, how can there be 61 responses to their Aldi post?

Maybe like 50 of them are FJers

3 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Nopity nope. They're not even given opportunities to meet possible spouses the way they're cooped up, so how would they?

12 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Nopity nope. They're not even given opportunities to meet possible spouses the way they're cooped up, so how would they?

I think Mary possibly could. I can see Anna maybe trying to get away more and do these “ministry trips” as a means to have her own life. I see Sarah at home for the rest of her life.

Just once I'd like to see a Maxwell "young person" buy a house, and move into it!  

I mean, why not?  Why does a 23 year old man need to be home with mom & dad?

My niece just bought her first house (she's 23 as well), and while it's most certainly NOT debt free, I am so excited for her.  

Also, why don't Sarah and Mary own houses?  Certainly, it would be beneficial for them as well.  Unless Steve knows they will never marry, and that he will never "allow" them to leave his home.

Honestly, Anna is the only Maxwell daughter I think capable of handling a husband, a house, a passel o' kids and actually enjoy marriage.  My gut tells me the other two really don't have what it takes to be a fundie wife.  I hope Chelsy can discreetly play matchmaker for Anna and pair her up with some nice hardworking dude from her old church in Iowa.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived