IGNORED

Maxwell 21: Deliberately Hiding the Truth Again

Coconut Flan

Someone mentioned the Bible and it occurred to me that, since it’s really the only book Sarah is allowed to read, she should be able to draw inspiration from it. There are so many stories that should be able to spurn some type of idea in Sarah. It is way more descriptive than Sarah could hope to be. Then again, I am surprised the Bible isn’t considered to racy or violent for the Maxwells. 

I also did not understand Nathan’s email. Wouldn’t Christina have realized they were going to take animals somewhere the minute she had to get the carrier?  Maybe Sarah or Steve edited the text and it ended up unintelligible. That being said, I like that they are getting cats to love. Ellie and Arnold seem to be well taken care of, and loved, and hopefully the kittens will enjoy the same life.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/9/2018 at 6:19 PM, Granwych said:

I'll whip some up--oatmeal, sugar and chocolate chippers coming up---

Still waiting for a recommendation on a sweet Prosecco.

A sweet prosecco like “sweet, man” prosecco or like sugar sweet? I’ve been drinking Costco’s prosecco lately (hides from anyone who knows a lot about wine) and it’s a pretty good light prosecco. It’s not terribly sweet though.

Ever since my college experiences with moscato I can’t do sweet wine. Ok, in the spirit of honesty it was high school but who’s counting?

Also, I apologize in advance if I’m way late to the thread drift. I got lost in a Naug thread and had to take a break for a few days. I’m just catching up!

21 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

That’s so sad that the kids and grandkids are so sheltered. My family sheltered us as well but nothing like this. I played with the neighborhood kids and had friends from church. I also slept at relatives houses that weren’t Christian like we were. Those were some of my best memories. I couldn’t imagine only spending time with my siblings. I am the only girl. 

Yes! Same here (sheltering and all), and I grew as an INDIVIDUAL because of those experiences. And now, as a full grown human I do not live in my parent’s house completely dependent on my parents and siblings. Weird!

41 minutes ago, doozeratwork said:

A sweet prosecco like “sweet, man” prosecco or like sugar sweet? I’ve been drinking Costco’s prosecco lately (hides from anyone who knows a lot about wine) and it’s a pretty good light prosecco. It’s not terribly sweet though.

Ever since my college experiences with moscato I can’t do sweet wine. Ok, in the spirit of honesty it was high school but who’s counting?

Also, I apologize in advance if I’m way late to the thread drift. I got lost in a Naug thread and had to take a break for a few days. I’m just catching up!

I did mean a sugar-ish sweet wine.  Most wine just smells and tastes vinegar-y to me, but I can down chick-ish drinks like strawberry shortcakes till the cows come home.  Pina coladas, Midori coladas, etc.  Mimosas are good, too.

Well, I will keep an eye out for a good prosecco for you. I’m still trying to find my holy grail wine, so I’ve been trying lots of new things.

I do love a good mimosa, but that’s the limit on sweetness for me. 

I just read that post on the blog about getting the kittens.  That book about Pickles was one of my girls' favorite books when they were very little.  I think that Pickles was a bit naughty.  

The Fire Cat! He goes to work where he might interact with females!

JENNY LINSKY? She surely doesn’t know where was going when she dies. 

Steve brings to mind a pastor who, when asked to mediate on whether Harry Potter was ok to read, replied he wished people  would just read the Bible. (But he did say HP was OK.) 

14 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

The Fire Cat! He goes to work where he might interact with females!

JENNY LINSKY? She surely doesn’t know where was going when she dies. 

Steve brings to mind a pastor who, when asked to mediate on whether Harry Potter was ok to read, replied he wished people  would just read the Bible. (But he did say HP was OK.) 

Remember the Cat Stevens LP "Teaser and the Firecat?"  (Surely Steve wouldn't let his subjects listen to a rocker turned Muslim.) 

@Granwych I may have mentioned this somewhere before but have you tried muscadine wine? The ones I’ve tried are pretty sweet, especially if you let it sit a few minutes. 

Oh my god that post was awful.

Just awful.

They could have taken it from so many different angles: 

"We were all so confused! Why could they need the cat carrier?"

or

"What an amazing surprise for Tina!"

But instead they just told it exactly as it happened. No build up of suspense for the reader, nothing. Just "here are the facts". It was a potentially interesting topic made incredibly dull thanks to Terri's terrible story telling.

11 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

They named one of the kittens Tigger. So someone knows about Winnie the Pooh...

Apparently, Sarah didn't know where the name came from, or else she wouldn't say. But hopefully Christina and her siblings know who Tigger is and chose the name themselves.

On 6/14/2018 at 4:01 AM, Alisamer said:

The best book she could ever write is a tell-all about how she escaped Maxwell.

And even that she'd do a dreadful job of.

22 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

They named one of the kittens Tigger. So someone knows about Winnie the Pooh...

Nah. Someone just doesn't know how to spell "Tiger".

I'm hoping Nathan's kids know about Winnie the Pooh but it's clear from Sarah's responses to comments that she does not.

18 hours ago, NeckPunch said:

Oh my god that post was awful.

Just awful.

They could have taken it from so many different angles: 

"We were all so confused! Why could they need the cat carrier?"

or

"What an amazing surprise for Tina!"

But instead they just told it exactly as it happened. No build up of suspense for the reader, nothing. Just "here are the facts". It was a potentially interesting topic made incredibly dull thanks to Terri's terrible story telling.

It sounds just like the writeup for Nathan's wedding.  Bleah.

3 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Nah. Someone just doesn't know how to spell "Tiger".

I'm hoping Nathan's kids know about Winnie the Pooh but it's clear from Sarah's responses to comments that she does not.

I find that very sad that Sarah doesn't know who the original Tigger is.  When I ever get back to England, I hope to get to the 100 Acre Wood and throw Poohsticks from the bridge.

I laughed at Nathan's text.  A freaking paragraph on text messages to ask for a cat carrier.  LOL  I would have gotten "gimme the cat carrier getting kid a kitten for her bday"  and a text back that said "if I go out, I'll stick it on the porch" 

Why is this a once in a lifetime surprise? Getting kittens is not that unusual of a thing. 

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but what on earth could Steve find objectionable about Winnie the Pooh?

Also major side-eye to a children's book writer who doesn't know Winnie the Pooh.

When I rescued Junior.  I got a message from my Mother and it didn't take a paragraph .  "I know this is a silly question, would like you a kitten?  Please come out with a cat carrier and if he comes to you, he's yours."  Tina looks so happy with kitten by the way.

7 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but what on earth could Steve find objectionable about Winnie the Pooh?

Oh, my goodness! There are so many things to object to in those books. Tigger's lack of impulse control, Pooh's gluttony, Eeyore not praying his depression away, Kanga's failure to discipline Roo and to allow her child to hang out with Tigger, who is clearly a Bad Influence. This lack of parental supervision is hardly surprising since Kanga is a single mother. Owl is supposed to be wise, but do we ever read of him quoting scripture?  Playing Pooh Sticks does not bring one closer to God.  And, speaking of God, Rabbit seems to be grooming the other denizens of the Hundred Acre Wood for membership in his cult.

12 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Oh, my goodness! There are so many things to object to in those books. Tigger's lack of impulse control, Pooh's gluttony, Eeyore not praying his depression away, Kanga's failure to discipline Roo and to allow her child to hang out with Tigger, who is clearly a Bad Influence. This lack of parental supervision is hardly surprising since Kanga is a single mother. Owl is supposed to be wise, but do we ever read of him quoting scripture?  Playing Pooh Sticks does not bring one closer to God.  And, speaking of God, Rabbit seems to be grooming the other denizens of the Hundred Acre Wood for membership in his cult.

All of the above and:

• Kanga is a fallen woman and single mother with no Headship,
  • Rabbit has friends as well as relations,
  • Piglet doesn't trust in God to make him brave, and
  • Pooh and Piglet are probably gay because they move in together.

But most of all Winnie-the-Pooh is fictional and anthropomorphic.  Toys and animals can't talk so the books are lies.

Steve only tells his children the truth. 

And it is Father's Day.   Can someone pass me a bucket because Sarah's post is predictably barfable.

Steve is an amazing dad.  Check.

Dads are a key foundation in a child’s life. Growing up, I knew my dad was always there for me.

So are many fathers.

He listened, he encouraged, he spent time with my siblings and me, and he did many things to lighten Mom’s load.

It is called parenting.  And if you decide to have 8 children, and reverse a vasectomy, you damn well should lighten your wife's load.

How many guys do you know that will grocery shop for their wife AND take all the kiddos? That was my dad!

Grocery shop?  Many.  Take all the children?  Well not eight, and why inflict grocery shopping on them all. 

Dad faithfully led our family in following Jesus, and also gave us an amazing example, not only by spending time in God’s Word personally each day but as a family.

Find another adjective, Sarah.  Amazing gets boring.  Also look at that sentence structure.

Then we have a slew of photos.

Steve took Sarah on a "daddy-daughter date" when she was three.

He gave lots of backpack rides to his children - in other words he deigned to carry them.

The endless repetition of "Even though work projects would have been easier without small children helping he knew it was part of the process to equip them."  Isn't that taking time to parent and have fun with your children.

Now all the brothers are "great with projects" - but the girls are not.

"How grateful we are for parents who LOVE each other!"  Because most mothers and fathers HATE each other.

"Dad loves to share with Christian parents!"  But not heathen ones.

"His books continue to go out to families across the nation, along with his weekly Seriously Dad e-mail."  More's the pity.

Yuck.  

I suspect that Nathan and Melanie’s children know who Winnie the Pooh is. I wonder what other worldly children’s literature they have been exposed to? We do not see the ABC girls interacting with other children on the Maxwell blog, but it doesn’t mean that they don’t. I wonder how much they actually do? Do they have maternal cousins and friends? Do they join up with other Homeschooling Families for picnics, excursions or programs? Does Abby have any “friends” with double digits. She and Bethany are the ones I feel most sorry for. Most of their Maxwell outings are geared towards preschoolers. It was nice to see pics of them playing volleyball. 

@Markie There was a picture recently with non-cousins and there have been mentions of ABCD, et al with cousins on Melanie's side!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived