IGNORED

Maxwell 21: Deliberately Hiding the Truth Again

Coconut Flan

Im on the "Wonder Woman Melanie is preggers" train.  Hope I'm wrong though.  I never bought that fertility story.  For over four years she couldn't get pregnant then turns into a Fertile Myrtle?  Birth Control behind Coward Steve's back.  And what the fuck is this making Ruthie eat like this?

DSC_8140-425x284.jpg

If the weather is nice why can't some of them eat outside.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Holy crap, that is an INSANE way to make beans! It's a 3-day 2-night process with burners turned on for like 36 hours. 

Why couldn't they throw all the ingredients together in several crock pots and simmer for a day before mashing? 

Reminds me of the taco ground beef "recipe" that needs to cook for 7 hours in an INSTANT POT and requires a special ground beef separator spatula.

4 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

Holy crap, that is an INSANE way to make beans! It's a 3-day 2-night process with burners turned on for like 36 hours. 

Why couldn't they throw all the ingredients together in several crock pots and simmer for a day before mashing? 

Reminds me of the taco ground beef "recipe" that needs to cook for 7 hours in an INSTANT POT and requires a special ground beef separator spatula.

The Maxwells have an amazing ability to make the simplest things incredibly difficult. 

4 hours ago, usmcmom said:

After my father in law decided to go on hospice, my husband walked into his room to find him gettimg a nice shave. He told USMCDAD "I wanna look good for your mother." 

What a beautiful thing to say...there aren't even any words.  Love like that is such a gift.

We used to add hamburger, but Dad found that you couldn't taste any difference and this makes it much less expensive.

This just makes me angry.  One man deciding how nearly 30 people eat their Sunday burritos?  No.  Just no.  

I honestly can't even imagine it.  I mean, how does that work?  Does Steve just up and announce that because he doesn't want beef, no one can have it?  That's just crazy.  And no one questions it.  They're all like- "Dad says we can't even taste the beef, so no more beef!  Aren't you guys glad Dad told us we can't taste the beef?  Dad's so smart!  I'd have never known I couldn't taste the beef, if he hadn't told me."  

How far does this stretch?  If "Dad" doesn't care for salt, does no one at the table ask for any? 

This is just mind-boggling to me.  It kind of reminds me of an episode of Twilight Zone called "It's a Good Life".

The kid eating on the step stool grosses me right out.  I am 5 ft, so around here,  a step stool is just that.  It doesn't double as a dinner table.  Good god, at least give the child a clean place to eat that pitiful excuse of a burrito.  

Do they realize how much landfill space they are wasting by using paper plates?

Well I now know the secret to Sarah's writing.  The first sentence of Teri's post gave me a headache just trying to figure out the various sentences structure/tenses/passive voice that she threw together.

On Sunday after church, we have the delight of the family joining together for lunch at our house. 

And the Maxwell's brag that this woman has written several books.  This is why homeschool is a bad idea for isolated families. It just compounds the parents' weaknesses in their own children.

8 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I expect all the "mommies" have to go home and make a big dinner on Sunday evening to make up for the meager and repetitive lunch.

I wonder how Chelsy feels after this bland lunch since she is used to colorful, fresh and delicious food (at least that how it appears on the Bontrager blog). I bet she has a crockpot on at home and as soon as they make it back from Maxwell they'll enjoy some delicious food in front of the BEAST!

16 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Do they realize how much landfill space they are wasting by using paper plates?

This makes me so so angry. A lot of fundie families seem to always use plastic and paper plates and this is so bad for the environment. They want to take dominion over the world with their eleventy kiddos? Maybe they should make sure there is still a planet left to rule over.

3 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Im on the "Wonder Woman Melanie is preggers" train.  Hope I'm wrong though.  I never bought that fertility story.  For over four years she couldn't get pregnant then turns into a Fertile Myrtle?  Birth Control behind Coward Steve's back.  And what the fuck is this making Ruthie eat like this?

DSC_8140-425x284.jpg

Crap! That’s a STEPstool !

I’m sure it’s been cleaned 3 ways from Sunday, but why?! 

If the weather is not nice, or (more likely) if they all 

Must!  Eat! In The Same! Room! Together!, 

Then,

—bring in chairs from the deck. Let Ruthie & Baby & RevAnna sit all together on one.

Or,

—bring up chairs from the basement. The 3 couldn’t share a folding chair, but at least R-Anna & baby could sit on it. Or Ruthie could use it as a table. Better than a frackin’ stepstool.

A baby on the floor? I’m sure it’s been cleaned cleaner than my kitchen’s countertops, but, c’MON! 

The Maxwells are open, at least, about their corporate lack of creativity.  

Does engineering require creativity ? If so, Steve’s employment problems may have been that he was ineffective at his job. He may have pushed management’s buttons about interacting with women to force their hand but leave his professional ego intact. We see that the old boy DOES have an ego the size of the Sinai!

I would say Ruthie is being punished, but I imagine if she was, she'd have no food and no company. I can't think of a good reason to let a small child eat on a step stool.

And yeah, Nathan has totally shot another arrow into Melanie's quiver. Poor lady.

The Maxwells are basically the least creative fundie family ever so I imagine it’s going to take a good year for them to realize they need to put another small table in the kitchen to keep Ruthie from eating on a step stool. I bet they could fit a children’s table in the corner. You can even use an IKEA $10 side table as a children’s table if you don’t want to pay much. Then Ruthie could use the stool as a seat instead of a damn table...

12 hours ago, SPHASH said:

DSC_8140-425x284.jpg

I don't agree. We don't know what their diagnosis was, and it could be that Melanie needed her tubes unblocked or Nathan needed varicocele surgery or Melanie has PCOS (which for some people can lead to increased fertility later in life after struggling when they're young). Given that she's also had difficult pregnancies and miscarriages, I'm inclined to think the problem is on her end, but then that's just speculation. 

I do think she looks pregnant, but I doubt it. How old is she again - 42? And her last baby is around a year and a half? I would be surprised.

But then again, the last time I guessed that a Maxwell wasn't pregnant, it was a picture of Anna Marie pregnant with Elizabeth, so who knows.

Remember the weird photo of all the little girls and Anna on the floor of the kitchen corner that was posted last week? That’s from the same day. I imagine the little girls all gathered around because they realized how weird and lonely it was to sit that girl on the floor like that. At least the little girls have some sense. 

Why haven't the Maxwells bought a couple of kids's tables with chairs to keep at Compound Headquarters?!?

I bought a miniature card table and set of four little folding chairs at Dollar General once. I took it to my mother's house and left it there for family gatherings. That way, the great grandkids had places to sit during family dinners.  I actually ended up hating that thing because my mom insisted it be folded and slid under her bed JUST RIGHT at the end of the evening. And then the little chairs had to be folded and stacked JUST RIGHT in her closet. They had tricky little latches on them so they were hard for her to do. I didn't mind helping her but couldn't understand why they all could not remain set up in the room in which it was always used.  She called it the play room, it was right off the kitchen and she left the door shut so......??!!??

Anyway, the Maxwells need a couple of those tables, they could be stored in that spare room we see sometimes. Heck ; even TV trays would be better than having children sit on the floor to eat. 

Think outside the box, Steve. Make Sunday lunch a pleasant memory for your grandkids! 

1 minute ago, usmcmom said:

Why haven't the Maxwells bought a couple of kids's tables with chairs to keep at Compound Headquarters?!?

I bought a miniature card table and set of four little folding chairs at Dollar General once. I took it to my mother's house and left it there for family gatherings. That way, the great grandkids had places to sit during family dinners.  I actually ended up hating that thing because my mom insisted it be folded and slid under her bed JUST RIGHT at the end of the evening. And then the little chairs had to be folded and stacked JUST RIGHT in her closet. They had tricky little latches on them so they were hard for her to do. I didn't mind helping her but couldn't understand why they all could not remain set up in the room in which it was always used.  She called it the play room, it was right off the kitchen and she left the door shut so......??!!??

Anyway, the Maxwells need a couple of those tables, they could be stored in that spare room we see sometimes. Heck ; even TV trays would be better than having children sit on the floor to eat. 

Think outside the box, Steve. Make Sunday lunch a pleasant memory for your grandkids! 

When I was a kid, our coffee table was always turned into a kid table. Just sit at the coffee table with no chair needed. It was low enough. 

Mary and Anna tend to merge into 1 person in my mind, so my bad on the miscount! :D

I hope the Maxwells are some sort of performance art/trolling and that their lives are really quite interesting and normal. I know that's not true.

The weird thing about Ruthie on the floor is that they have brought an extra table out before. 

image.png.9ed9a1c80ded9c0e8edd1b75f3a78a1a.png

10 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

The weird thing about Ruthie on the floor is that they have brought an extra table out before. 

image.png.9ed9a1c80ded9c0e8edd1b75f3a78a1a.png

Maybe Steve forgot to tell them to get out the extra table (or forgot to write it on the schedule), and since he's Stevehovah nobody could remind him? 

Or else one of the kids remarked that it was fun to sit at the extra table, and it is now forbidden as an idol.

The kid eating on the stepstool doesn't bother me at all. I eat sitting on the floor with my kids sometimes, so shoot me. But the Maxwells are so rigid that it surprises me that they would allow something like that. Is it godly?!

Even if you can't taste the beef, Scrooge-0, beef has a different nutritional profile than beans.  It's not just a battle of the proteins.  Ever heard of amino acids?  There's a reason we're supposed to eat a wide variety of food, not just wheat tortillas and beans every Sunday.  

These big Sunday lunches could be such a great opportunity to experiment and try out new feed-a-crowd dishes (lasagne one week, a couple big roasting pans full of biryani another week, big chicken pot pies...) and teach the younger girls to cook a variety of foods. And they squander it by just making bland burritos every single Sunday. 

Look, I'm all for traditions; my family's Christmukkah menu is pretty much the same at its core twenty years on. But even with that, we're constantly experimenting and trying out variations. One year we'll sous vide the roast beef, or make lasagne with homemade noodles, or do slightly Indian-inspired green beans as a veggie side dish, or try a totally different apple pie recipe. It livens things up and gives all the family cooks (me, my dad, most of my aunts, and my grandma) a chance to shine. 

6 hours ago, usmcmom said:

I agree, but they'd have to rename them.  Beast trays?

Remember when Sarah wrote the post about helping NR-Anna make and freeze burritos so there'd be some available to warm up after NR-Anna gave birth?  Interestingly, NR-A did put ground beef in her burritos, and lots of spices too.  Poor Christopher probably couldn't wait til he had his own household and could add ground beef to his burritos whenever he wanted!

I have a feeling NR-A could teach the Maxwells a thing or three about cooking.

Pinto beans? Yuk! If I make burritos, they have rice, cheese, BLACK beans, meat, salsa and sour cream in them. I'm talking Chipotle style burritos here y'all. Speaking of...I have some meat I need to cut up for burritos and stir fry. 

Can't wait to move...new place has more counter space...like an unbroken 6' or so length from the edge of the fridge to the corner. We'll be paying out the ass for it but it's gorgeous. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived