IGNORED

Life in a shoe-How to deal with Social workers at your door.

tabitha2

Flu vaccine is grown in an egg culture. Are you allergic to eggs that you know of?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is up to everyone when and where they vax. But I want those who don't vaccinate against pertussis to hear my story. When I was young they didn't vaccinate kids against pertussis in Sweden. When I was two I was in hospital for a very bad bout of stomach flu getting treated with iv fluids. In the bed next to mine was another baby with a "mystery illness". That mystery illness turned out to be pertussis. I was sick for six months. I kid you not. At the end of that period my immune system was so compromised that I caught pneumonia. I have permanent lung damage. Whenever I get a cold it goes straight to my lungs without passing go. And I still "whoop" when I cough (I've had people step away from me when I was having a coughing fit it sounded so bad). I was lucky.

Pertussis ran rampant through my daughter's school a few years ago, striking the vaccinated and unvaccinated alike. The county health department said that there were new mutations of Bordetella pertussis, against which the existing vaccine is not effective. M ydaughter's lungs are similarly messed up from it.

Pertussis ran rampant through my daughter's school a few years ago, striking the vaccinated and unvaccinated alike. The county health department said that there were new mutations of Bordetella pertussis, against which the existing vaccine is not effective. M ydaughter's lungs are similarly messed up from it.

We had an outbreak here! family friends of ours, their kids are all vaccinated, on schedule, and their youngest poor dear got it, and spread it through the preschool before anyone knew or suspected- the DR didn't even think it was whooping cough initially because she had been vaccinated. (She's better now!)

And yet people I know who are anti-vax, use the fact that vaccinated kids get sick as "evidence" that vaccines don't work. They have NO damn idea of how virology and illness are spread and mutate. It really grinds my gears. I'm a "lay" person as far as medicine is concerned and I know this! (lots of drs as friends and family, husband is an emt turned medical coder... ). You don't screw around with pertussis. You just dont.

I don't understand the objections to the HPV virus.

Suppose my child is a virgin on his or her weddding night, but the spouse isn't.

Contracting cervical cancer is just the "breaks" ?

Suppose my child is raped. Is contracting cervical cancer or the other cancers just a bonus of that horrible experience?

If my child does have premarital sex, should the "punishment" for that be death by cervical cancer?

I watched a family member die from cancer. It was a slow, agonizing death. I'd do just about anything to prevent my children from ever experiencing anything like that. But then maybe I have a different relationship from my children than people opposed to that vaccine.

Flu vaccine is grown in an egg culture. Are you allergic to eggs that you know of?

Nope, although weirdly enough I am supposedly sensitive to turkey....

I don't understand the objections to the HPV virus.

Suppose my child is a virgin on his or her weddding night, but the spouse isn't.

Contracting cervical cancer is just the "breaks" ?

Suppose my child is raped. Is contracting cervical cancer or the other cancers just a bonus of that horrible experience?

If my child does have premarital sex, should the "punishment" for that be death by cervical cancer?

I watched a family member die from cancer. It was a slow, agonizing death. I'd do just about anything to prevent my children from ever experiencing anything like that. But then maybe I have a different relationship from my children than people opposed to that vaccine.

I had laser surgery at 21 for pre-cancerous dysplasia, I was lucky, it didn't come back and it didn't hinder my ability to carry Her Maj when I finally conceived. My best friend was diagnosed after her son was born and thanks to no insurance and an incredibly slow process to qualify for the Gold Card, wound up losing her uterus, cervix and the chance to have a second child. You can bet Her Maj and the Bubster (my godson) will both be vaccinated for HPV.

How do I tell if my kids are walking zombies? Does she have a check list for that, because they seem pretty human right now, but they do have all of their life sucking vaccines.

Do they reply, "BRAAAAAAAAINSSSSSSSS" when you ask them what they want for snack or a meal?

I'm also in agreement with others who think that children who aren't fully immunized, barring medical issues should not be allowed to enter school. Modify you vax schedule with your doctor to where you feel comfortable, but to forgo it altogether and then want your kid to enter school and be around other kids who may not be able to get immunized because of medical reasons? No. Safety trumps your religious convictions.

Ok, is this law organization the same as HSLDA? Because my mother says they're not based in TX, but in VA and they employ lawyers of many different locations so wherever the problem is, there's a lawyer to help. (She's also a reader of inashoe and raisingolives. I was sorta shocked when she named them and I recognized both names from FJ!)

Ok, I REALLY hate to continue the vax/dont vax convo but this was in today's AJC and I just have to repost this comment.

The full article is here: http://blogs.ajc.com/momania/2011/10/05 ... -vaccines/

What vaccine is injected into the blood stream? I keep hearing that claim over and over and it's a load of bull. Call me crazy, but when people go for scare tactics that have no basis in reality, I have a hard time taking anything they say seriously.

Ok, is this law organization the same as HSLDA? Because my mother says they're not based in TX, but in VA and they employ lawyers of many different locations so wherever the problem is, there's a lawyer to help. (She's also a reader of inashoe and raisingolives. I was sorta shocked when she named them and I recognized both names from FJ!)

Theyre different creatures. HSLDA is here: http://www.hslda.org/ Heritage defense is here: http://www.heritagedefense.org/home

HSLDA seems to be *cough* more legitimate...

I have a question the nurses on this board (or doctors?) can probably answer:

Why are shots given in the muscle? If the shot is accidentally given in a fatty area (was told by a nurse this happened once at their office by an inexperienced MA, I think) what will happen?

Thank you for answering!

We added all the stars, and will add more- thank you; you have made a little girl in Oregon very, very happy! She begged me this morning to see if her grown up computer friends (you're her friends now too!) have sent stars to her. So cute!

I vaxed Ladybug; it was part of the CPS/foster care system adoption. Perhaps that is why fundies go to other countries and adopt: less rules, no home visits. I saw one "Christian" adoption site that basically said "As long as you read the KJV Bible, and follow Patriarchal Dominionism, we will give you a child". The "donations" are pretty outrageous, though. Twice what I paid, and that doesn't include airfare and passports to get the child back from where ever it was born. I can't praise foster care adoptions much more than I already have.

I have a question the nurses on this board (or doctors?) can probably answer:

Why are shots given in the muscle? If the shot is accidentally given in a fatty area (was told by a nurse this happened once at their office by an inexperienced MA, I think) what will happen?

Thank you for answering!

Muscle tissue is highly vascular. Fat tissue isn't. Injecting into muscle guarantees that the medicine will get into the blood stream faster. Specific to vaccines, injection into the muscle guarantees the strongest immune system response to the vaccine. And, although injections to the muscle hurt more at first, they do minimize reactions to the injection.

I don't think anything terrible would happen if you accidentally got injected into fat and not muscle other than a possibly lessened dose of whatever medicine you are receiving getting into the blood stream.

Angri-la, add a star for New Mexico. And kudos to you for adopting from foster care. I have two friends, one of whom was adopted at 6 from foster care and one of whom was in long-term foster care and aged out (he was, for a variety of reasons, not eligible for adoption), both of whom are wonderful people.

[OT] How I deal with social workers at my door:

"Hi, Middle Sister! Thanks for the casserole! Sure, I'll shorten your new pants!"

or

"Hi, Bro-In-Law! I have a book to lend you! Can you help me take my air conditioner out of the window?"

[/OT]

Why didn't your parents remove the coffee table or put some foam on the corners? Not being snarky, just curious. You'd think they would've tried to cushion the area if they couldn't remove the coffee table. Just sayin'... :think:

I'm not sure, honestly. I know they did attempt to child-proof the house, in particular that coffee table, but I don't know what kept happening to the cushioning. They did tell me they'd child-proofed it when they recounted this story to me, but I've forgotten the explanation.

Hello Ladybug, from Adelaide, Australia!

I get angry when people don't vaccinate and then let their infectious offspring hang out at daycare/playgrounds/friends' houses ect without warning the parents of the other children beforehand. It's incredibly unfair. That's how I got Chicken Pox - I went to after school care, and some idiot who hadn't immunised her 2 kids dropped them off (one was already spotty, the other wasn't but was obviously feverish and ill), didn't tell the childminder, and there was a huge outbreak. I was 12 at the time and I was seriously ill.

It's one thing to choose not to vaccinate your kids, but it's another to make other people suffer because of your beliefs (the poor kids of those parents included).

It makes me wonder, too, who pays for those emergency room visits.

When LiaS has to take her kids to the ER with the Whooping Cough,

Samaritan Ministries does not cover those visits (my understanding).

I seriously doubt she can afford it.

You can get most if not all vaccines for free from the public heath office.

But she'd rather promote her agenda at taxpayer expense.

(To be fair, this is conjecture on my part.)

I'm not sure, honestly. I know they did attempt to child-proof the house, in particular that coffee table, but I don't know what kept happening to the cushioning. They did tell me they'd child-proofed it when they recounted this story to me, but I've forgotten the explanation.

You'd think (or hope) they'd finally just move the damn thing when it became apparent that you were *determined* to win the headbutting contest you had going on with the coffee table. ;)

Meh. My son is in a headbutting contest with everything in his path. You can't get rid of the damn walls.

I can't count the number of two-year-olds I know who got shiners for not looking where they were going and running full-tilt into the edges of tables; the average kitchen table is pretty much toddler-eye-height.

Archived