IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 4: Will She Blog Post the Honeymoon

Coconut Flan

it becomes very confusing to Joseph as I try to explain why the book character believed in these things, and we don't.

Why do I get the feeling Joseph questioned her a great deal on why they didn't get to do fun things like Laura and Mary did and that annoyed Terri. 

The tiny bit of reading time I have with Joseph is valuable for us just because we are together. However, I want to redeem every moment of the day.

So she took an enjoyable time with Joseph and turned it into something tedious because taking time to explain things to him, even simple things like how punching someone in the nose isn't nice, was too much work for her. It reminds me of the Moody book where the mother(Terri) played hide and seek by standing in the open so she would immediately be found. Terrie put the least amount of energy possible into spending time with her children. 

When I read LHOP series to my oldest daughter we had long discussions on why they had to sit still on Sunday, how she would feel if she had to do that and why the attitude towards Native Americans were bad. 

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But they don't do anything better with their time! They aren't contributing to society or spreading the word of God. They are making "multi-tasking" ground beef and doing calisthenics in the basement at 5 am.

The problem is that at the very least, it isn’t profitable, and in this case, I believe harmful to my walk with the Lord.

I bet Steve shamed the hell out of the two sons who gave him this book and started him down the path of worldliness. 

@punkiepie -Thank you so much!  May Rufus rain blessings down upon your head.  That's it - I knew I didn't dream it. :D

@bean, does that sound like the Left Behind series.  I'm not familiar with those books.

And, oh, Steve.  You utter stinker.  Perhaps you did intervene with adult and married Nathan and Christopher's straying into dangerous literary territory after all.   (It was earlier than I thought and they weren't married.  Nathan must have been over 18 though.

I have repented of my attitude of compromise and slothfulness, and as a family we have committed not to read any more of these books (which were written for the lost anyway). Even after all of this, it will no doubt be tempting. It was hard to share this with you, but it is my prayer that God may use my failure for good in your life.

"As a family" or does that mean "as an extended family," you controlling ass?  Are they now free to indulge in fiction.

I need to swig down some Pepsi and read the Left Behind series as fast as I can.  I am lost and these things are meant for me.

6 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Perhaps you did intervene with adult and married Nathan and Christopher's straying into dangerous literary territory after all.

Were they both married in 2000? It looks like that is when he wrote the article. I think only Nathan was married then. Maybe Steve wasn't as controlling and let Christopher read something his brother gave him. 

7 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I need to swig down some Pepsi and read the Left Behind series as fast as I can.  I am lost and these things are meant for me.

They are soooooo bad. They first one was okayish. I read it when it just came out and I was still into biblical prophecy and shit. I remember giving it to my mom(See Steve, I too set my parent on the path of unrighteousness) and she gave it back and said the characters didn't behave in a realistic way. I think I got through the fourth book, but it got super boring. One book would cover one day, or something like that. 

1 minute ago, formergothardite said:

Were they both married in 2000? It looks like that is when he wrote the article. I think only Nathan was married then. Maybe Steve wasn't as controlling and let Christopher read something his brother gave him. 

They are soooooo bad. They first one was okayish. I read it when it just came out and I was still into biblical prophecy and shit. I remember giving it to my mom(See Steve, I too set my parent on the path of unrighteousness) and she gave it back and said the characters didn't behave in a realistic way. I think I got through the fourth book, but it got super boring. One book would cover one day, or something like that. 

No, I was editing my post as you were writing.  ;)

Nathan was born in 1976 (making him 24 in 2000.  Chris was born in 1979, so he was 21.

Nathan and Melanie married in 2002.  Chris and NR Anna in 2010.

It shows how extreme Steve has gotten because Jessie almost certainly  would not be allowed to go pick out some sci-fi Christian book to read and share with his siblings. 

25 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

It shows how extreme Steve has gotten because Jessie almost certainly  would not be allowed to go pick out some sci-fi Christian book to read and share with his siblings. 

Who is Jessie?

:irony:

25 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

The Left Behind Series is nothing compared to a Thief in the Night, the source of many nightmares and sleepless nights for me as a kid/teenager.  It's a terribly campy movie and I have no idea why my usually very conservative IFB church suddenly decided it would be ok for us to watch a movie, but they did, and it scared the shit out of me.  This was the 90's when we watched it, the movie was made in 1972, and was super low budget, but I was terrified. 

14 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

After my experience with a Thief in the Night, I had zero desire to spend one more second reading about the end times.  As it was, I can distinctly remember being 16 years old and praying to God to let me get married before the rapture came so I would get to have sex at least one. (So crazy!)  I was so scared the rapture would happen before I got married and had kids and my church was highly focused on eschatology.  I can remember one time I said something about how I didn't want the rapture to happen now and this boy in my sunday school class said to me that if I was truly saved, I would be praying for the Lord to Return every day, and I should be more worried about being left behind than I was about being raptured up. 

27 minutes ago, punkiepie said:

As it was, I can distinctly remember being 16 years old and praying to God to let me get married before the rapture came so I would get to have sex at least one. (So crazy!) 

I might have done the same thing. :embarrassed: I also prayed for the rapture at some points in hope I would get sucked into the sky before I had to take a test. I was also pretty darn terrified I would be left behind. 

I did not see Thief in the Night, but I'm watching clips of it and that is something else. 

Among the recreational reading I have here at my computer desk are Post Captain by Patrick O'Brian, The Wit and Wisdom of Downton Abbey, Uncommon Type -a book of short stories  by Tom Hanks, A Tale of Two Cities, Persuasion,  Lily and the Octopus, Fascism by Madeleine Albright, and Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil De Grasse Tyson.   None of them are the bible.  The astrophysics book would particularly horrify the Maxwells and so might Secretary Albright's book, but not for the right reasons.  The only one that could be considered light reading is the Downton Abbey one.

@Palimpsest, I noticed that Teri used menagerie incorrectly in the post about Christmas decorations.  Only a reindeer would be part of a menagerie.  

11 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Palimpsest, I noticed that Teri used menagerie incorrectly in the post about Christmas decorations.  Only a reindeer would be part of a menagerie.  

Very true.  I suppose it could be argued that the Fathership is a place where animals human off-spring are kept and trained especially for exhibition.  Even when they are adult.

And you have a very eclectic collection of books there!

Wow. The Maxwells must be the worst teachers ever if they can't simply explain "yes, solving problems by punching is wrong, that's why we teach you to use your words or tell an adult" and "yes, in the olden days people did birthday spanks on kids, they're silly and do not work but you might hear grandparent age people joke about this"

This is all so terrifying.

I imagine that Terrie was the sort of parent who expected children to sit quiet and still while she read and ask no questions. 

Am I making it up that they spoke about getting the most boring school text books because they didn't want their children to be entertained by school? Or something like that. 

I found this article by Terri but she did write a whole book on the subject so our discussion on making school as boring as possible might come from that. Terri was a crappy teacher and it is obvious she didn't want to homeschool. 

Steve and I have realized that we have a different philosophy for our homeschool than many of these other homeschool authors apparently have. We want our homeschool to be a vehicle to prepare our children for life. This life that we envision for our children when they are adults will entail diligence and perseverance. As adults, they will often be called upon to learn something that isn’t particularly interesting to them. Even if something they learn catches their attention, the educational aspect of the topic will most likely not be exciting or enticing.

School doesn’t depend on whether or not I have had time to plan for it. We just do whatever comes next in the book. I am not required to come up with creative presentations to keep the children interested enough in their school that they are willing to do whatever Mom has for them to do. We just do school every day.

Because textbooks present their material in a structured, repetitive manner, the children are receiving an excellent education.

We prefer to spend our time in Bible reading and ministering to others rather than in sports. Therefore, we don’t want a major sports theme in the children’s school books, although we have found this hard to avoid altogether. We have seen worldly and silly selections in some Christian reading and literature courses. We have instead chosen the reading courses without those focuses.

Heaven forbid a child gets to read anything silly in their school books.

Even with all the work in finding the most silly, fun free textbooks, they still have to white out stuff.

Christian textbooks will give some general information about false religions in history books, but we have found it is easy to edit, with white-out, what is unacceptable for the children to know at their age. We feel it is appropriate for them to read that the Egyptians worshipped false gods but not that they know names and details of those religious practices.

http://articles.titus2.com/a-voice-for-homeschool-christian-textbooks/

4 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Terri was a crappy teacher and it is obvious she didn't want to homeschool. 

QFT.  She hates it, has no talent for it, and tries to make a virtue out of deliberately sucking all the fun out of learning.  There's also the "lazy child" post - where John was so bored with the text books and work that he already knew how to do that they had to bribe him to finish his worksheets.

And we call Steve the fun-killer...

7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Do the Maxhellions deliberately make the blog hard to search? 

Yes they do. I suggest using a search engine (like Duckduckgo) instead of searching on their actual blog.

Here's the Pagan Christmas post and I found an interesting post outlining their Christmas program. One part stuck out for me: "Each Scripture verse needs to be printed" - not "should be" or "can be". Nope. It "needs to be" 

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Terri was miserable and she was going to make damn sure the rest of them were. 

I have not been able to find what boring Christian text books they used. 

6 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Terri was miserable and she was going to make damn sure the rest of them were. 

I have not been able to find what boring Christian text books they used. 

She's still doing that.

I've said it before, Teri Maxwell is a bitch.  If she ain't happy then nobody is gonna be happy.

I'm not sure Teri should have ever had children. She doesn't seem to like them at all. Even time with her grandchildren is carefully scheduled and they must do exactly what she plans. 

Reading through her homeschooling advice posts is horrifying. She started off with unit studies, but I get the impression she made those studies as boring as humanly possible. Her philosophy is that no homeschooling mother needs to worry about making school fun or enjoyable. Give them some books(books that lack silly stories and only give vague information on other cultures), tell them how many pages they need to do and teach them to grade their own stuff so you can skip that on days you aren't up for it. 

Oh my Rufus! I just realized where Jill Rod. got her homeschooling methods from. :shock:

Just what is it with (some) fundies and their obsession with making every second "profitable"/"educational" etc?? Jesus. EVERYONE needs downtime of some sort. It just reminds me of Erika Shupe in the old days. She said she never read fiction, except for when she was pregnant and had to be on bed rest. We snarked on her hard when we learnt that she severely limited Karen and Melanie's fiction-reading, but at least she did actually let them read stuff. They even watched movies like The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, Finding Dory, Star Wars The Force Awakens etc. IIRC their Christmas decorations weren't all Christ-centred; Erika said that she preferred more generic winter decor like fairy lights/snow globes/that kind of thing so she could have them up from October and take them down later than normal. 

I remember that Steve's reasoning about not making school fun was that then kids would come to expect *everything* to be fun, which cannot happen in Stevieland, oh no :penguin-no: . 

Of course she won't tell you what Wholesome Christian Books she used. You have to buy her books to find that out! Whole lotta nothing here and here.

I did find some pictures of books the kids used: Arithmetic 1 and Gods Gift of Language C

The Lanugage book is an Abeka text. According to Wiki "Abeka takes Biblical literalist and young Earth creationist positions in its science curriculum, teaching the Genesis creation narrative as a literal and factual account confirmed by sound natural science."

5 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

QFT.  She hates it, has no talent for it, and tries to make a virtue out of deliberately sucking all the fun out of learning.  There's also the "lazy child" post - where John was so bored with the text books and work that he already knew how to do that they had to bribe him to finish his worksheets.

Oh is that this one?: 

http://articles.titus2.com/homeschooling-the-dawdler/

Where she writes about her dawdling child who would rather sit at the table for hours rather than finish his work?  In my search for the sinful work of fiction, I ended up reading a fair share of their “articles” and this one stuck out to me because I felt so sorry for the nameless child.  Although part of me felt it was Teri trying to make Steve seem like the hero with his solution of offering pizza to all who had finished their work. 

I also read many an article about Teri’s perpetual quest to become more meek and quiet and not pester Steve with sinful questions like, “who was that on the phone?” and “what did they want?”  She prayed that God would satisfy her curiosity in how he saw fit and if God wanted Steve to tell her, God would put it on Steve's heart to be more forthcoming with his wife. (Vomit)  Oh, and she should never correct him in public, even sweetly, or about mundane details, like, if he said something happened Wednesday, she must keep her mouth shut that it actually happened on Tuesday, lest she undermine his authority. FTR, I would basically shrivel up and die if I lived that life. It confuses me because part of their whole schtick is about being a helpmeet to your headship, but how the fuck can you be a help if you can never say anything of use to him for fear of usurping his authority? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived