IGNORED

Baby Vuolo Is a Girl

GnomeCat

2 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I don't like two-syllable names ending in "i" or "ie", generally speaking.  I know sisters named Kacie and Kodi.  Why would you do that? It's not cute.  They sound like pets.  I'm also not a fan of turning classical-sounding names like Adeline or Cassandra into Addy and Casey.  Finally, IMO, one-syllable names like Nell or Kate are just going to sound more traditional/less flighty than Nellie or Katie even though they're both nicknames.   

I'm hit & miss with the ending names, I know a young woman who's name is Mallorie, I like the name Mallory but the ie just makes it look weird IMO. I also have a friend who named her daughter Mollie and I think that is cute I don't mind Jennie or Jenni and Tracie and Stacie bug me I prefer Tracey and Stacey  to even Tracy or Stacy. 

I love the name Kate (it is my daughter's middle name) it was almost her 1st name but I knew everyone would call her Katie, and I'm not as big a fan of the name Katie. I always say I hate nicknames my kids name are my kids name, with my son that is true, he goes by his name not the popular nickname that his name can be, how ever with my daughter she goes almost exclusively by 1 of 2 nick names, one by friends and teachers, then hubby & I call her G or GK (her initials).

The pastor who married us his given name is Robbie , he goes by Rob as an adult.  Technically I go by a nickname, I never really thought of it, since I've always been called by this name, when I hear my full name I feel like I'm trouble 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm hit & miss with the ending names, I know a young woman who's name is Mallorie, I like the name Mallory but the ie just makes it look weird IMO. 

Yep...I know a Malarrie.  Which is a portmanteau of her parents' names.  I find it unfortunate, TBH.  Also know a Kenadie.    

2 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Yep...I know a Malarrie.  Which is a portmanteau of her parents' names.  I find it unfortunate, TBH.  Also know a Kenadie.    

My son went to school with a Kenadie and her twin Kassidie. :pb_rollseyes: 

I feel like names are very subjective.  I have very little opinion on what other people name their children (unless it’s totally outrageous or offensive). I had a visceral reaction to Spurgeon and still really dislike it. No idea why. I guess it’s similar to people hating words like moist.   Spurgeon makes me feel queasy. 

As far as my own child, her first name ends in Y, but her middle name is more formal. I love her entire name but if she thinks that her first name isn’t professional or whatnot, and chooses to go by her middle name, it won’t hurt my feelings. 

Honestly, I don't see the big deal about names and nicknames. Odds are good that if someone doesn't like the name their parents dumped on them, they'll change it later - maybe to something diminutive, or something totally different. 

My birth names are as follows:

1. Highly ethnic name starting with k and containing a whole lot of vowels. Canadians mangle it.

2. Hebrew name. Also ethnic, and not very pretty to my ear. It also has a grim back story/meaning. The way Canadians tend to say it irritates me like nails on a chalk board. I hate it.

3. Landino name. This one I like. It sounds musical and has a lovely meaning but, again there are insurmountable problems with native English speakers actually pronouncing it successfully. And the spelling would be a nightmare for them.

If I lived in Israel, or anywhere in the Mediterranean any of these names could be workable. However, I'm in the frozen north and I have a career I need to manage. 

I was complaining to an ex about not getting job interviews despite being well qualified, and he told me flat out that my first name was too hard for native English speakers to pronounce and that no HR was going to be bothered calling someone and tripping over extra vowels. He just shrugged and said "just make something up that's easy for them to know how to say". I applied for two jobs that week and went with a boring K nickname on one and my real name on the other. The K nickname company called for an interview and the rest is history. Since then, I've been known as boring K nickname in my professional career. It's not a favourite, but it has served me well for the last 15+ years. Now I'm thinking of starting a new career, and I may use my Landino name as part of the name for that career. Dont know if I will, but it's the one name I feel some connection with.

Also, my friends call me a completely different nicknames related to my feline affinity - either Kitty or Kat or KittyKat. 

Nobody has used by birth names in years, and I'm still employable and seen as a responsible member of society.

I'm sure if Lexie or Spurgeon wanted a office job or to get into police or politics, they would make some choices about what they went by at work. Names are just a starting point.

12 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I always have to put a word in for The Paper Bag Princess when I see people discussing non-traditional Princess books.  It's also a picture book, which is nice if you're looking for books for real littles.  It's about a princess whose castle is burned and prince is captured by the dragon, so she dons the only thing that survived the fire (a paper bag) and sets off to rescue the prince.  Using her wits, she is able to defeat the dragon and rescue the prince, but he sneers at her disheveled appearance.

So she tells him off and walks off into the sunset, happy, strong, and capable all by herself.  

I loved that story. It was in one of my Spanish books in college.

I’m am Elisabeth, but I’ve gone by one of the less-common nicknames all my life. I like having the option of a more-formal name, but I don’t feel connected to it somehow, if that makes sense. When I initial something, using “EMuffin” feels weird, while using “LMuffin” feels natural. 

Back on the subject of jinder/sex reveal hoorahs (don’t shoot me!), I only know one couple in real life who have had one.

My cousin and her husband were expecting triplets, so there actually was the potential for some surprise (especially since two were known to be identical twins). Even then, they just had three boxes with pink or blue balloons in each and let their older two children open the boxes while they watched and videoed. It was cute. And there was cake. :cakeslice:

5 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

Wait, what? NO NICKNAMES? You wouldn't last a week in Australia... Is that dislike an American thing or just personal? What about FJ'ers from other countries?

Also (and maybe this is regional) nicknames are not just a shortening of a full name. My nickname is Bells (which i prefer!) yet has nothing at all to do with bells or my name. I use my real name in professional situations with no confusion whatsoever....

https://open.abc.net.au/explore/93312 

We may be given a name at birth that our parents have pondered over for weeks or months before deciding on but, when you live in Australia, there’s a huge chance that your known name will change.

Great article. Americans do love nicknames. As mentioned, we have had presidents who went by Ike, Jimmy, and Bill.

Nicknames are definitely common, but the question is between whether you want a James Robert who goes by Jim Bob, or simply a Jim Bob on the birth certificate. I prefer James Robert, even if it is never used outside of a social security card and driver’s license.

Lifestyle and experience based nicknames as described in the article are popular in fiction, American prisons, and between close friends. I have a friend who almost drowned, so we call him, “Swimmer.” That kind of thing isn’t unheard of.

I have a very common name and many nicknames, probably in part because my name is common, so I have to be differentiated somehow. It isn’t Kimberly, but similar, so there would be Kim, Kimmy, Kimmer, Mimmers, Bebe, Kiki, and all the initial names, KC, and sometimes having to go by my middle name, or in intimate relationships, a pet name based on my personality or appearance. Names like Goldie for heart of gold, or Cocoa because of my coloring. 

When meeting new people and on my resume, I go strictly by my formal given name and I would correct anyone who tried to shorten it. That would feel too intimate. I would definitely fit in in Australia with my arsenal of nicknames, but I would still be Kimberly on my driver’s license and resume, not Mimmers. 

Finding a suitable name is such a complicated and responsible topic. No matter what you choose, someone will always find something to criticise and at least some of the criticism may be a very valid one.

For instance, I wish someone would have stopped my parents for selecting a very ethnic spelling for my first name. It is the correct way to spell my great-grandmother's name after whom I was named, but it created and creates endless worries for me in the countries where I live - from misspelling and mispronunciation to people assuming I am a man. I tried to use my second name instead when I was a child, but it felt wrong and like people were not even talking to me, so I stopped.

I don't know if I was out of line, but I feel a bit proud that I stopped a friend of mine from selecting a Japanese first name for her son. Her husband is half-Japanese but has lived in California all his life, does not speak any Japanese and has no close ties to Japan. My friend is the whitest European you can imagine. I felt it would have been a big struggle for their son to have a Japanese first and last name when he has no connections to Japan apart from his distant ancestry and the family did not plan on ever living in Japan.

The name we chose for our daughter has been selected for various reasons - a family name, normal but not too common, works well in many languages, etc. There is one small issue, which is that a well-known cartoon character carries the name. I'm afraid my daughter will be teased because of it, but it's not a ridiculous character and actually a bit of a role-model, and children can tease for any reason, so hopefully she'll be fine eventually. Just like I learned to embrace my name when I grew up :) 

7 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

Wait, what? NO NICKNAMES? You wouldn't last a week in Australia... Is that dislike an American thing or just personal? What about FJ'ers from other countries?

Also (and maybe this is regional) nicknames are not just a shortening of a full name. My nickname is Bells (which i prefer!) yet has nothing at all to do with bells or my name. I use my real name in professional situations with no confusion whatsoever....

https://open.abc.net.au/explore/93312 

We may be given a name at birth that our parents have pondered over for weeks or months before deciding on but, when you live in Australia, there’s a huge chance that your known name will change.

Here (the Netherlands) nicknames are not really a thing. Of course some people use shorter versions of names if they call someone they know really well (family or really close friends) but they vary between people with the same name and there is no such thing as general nicknames.  The only one I can think of is that Christian will always be Chris.

Some people do get a different 'official nickname' next to their name-on-passport(like, 'her name is Johannah but we will call her Hannah'), but this is quite oldfashioned. I don't think I know anyone under 40 that has this. Now people will just call the girl Hannah in her passport and no-one will think of it as a nickname. Hannah is considered as much a formal name as Johannah.

ETA: I have a lot of international colleagues and the Canadians were very suprised that we would not call Nicolas 'Nick' or Daniel 'Dan'. They were so used that if someone is called Daniel, you can call them Dan. While here you just call them Daniel unless you are really good friends and 'agree' on nicknaming.

3 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

Here (the Netherlands) nicknames are not really a thing. Of course some people use shorter versions of names if they call someone they know really well (family or really close friends) but they vary between people with the same name and there is no such thing as general nicknames.  The only one I can think of is that Christian will always be Chris.

Some people do get a different 'official nickname' next to their name-on-passport(like, 'her name is Johannah but we will call her Hannah'), but this is quite oldfashioned. I don't think I know anyone under 40 that has this. Now people will just call the girl Hannah in her passport and no-one will think of it as a nickname. Hannah is considered as much a formal name as Johannah.

Visit Zeeland and you’ll find Johannes and Johanna nn hanna on every corner :). I do believe we tend to give short names (the top 20 currently has 10 1-syllabe names for boys and 5 1-syllabe names for girls) so that’s why we don’t nickname as much, we just give the nickname as a given name :my_rolleyes:.

My youngest has a long 8letter first name that is made up from 2 existing names. Think Annefleur but different. Everyone asks if she is called Anne or Fleur and I keep responding “no, she’s Annefleur, otherwise I would’ve named her Anne or Fleur”. Annoying as hell. 

1 minute ago, Chewing Gum said:

My youngest has a long 8letter first name that is made up from 2 existing names. Think Annefleur but different. Everyone asks if she is called Anne or Fleur and I keep responding “no, she’s Annefleur, otherwise I would’ve named her Anne or Fleur”. Annoying as hell. 

Yes! This is exactly what I mean with my Canadian colleagues. If you give someone a name, that is their name and you use that name unless the person themselves will give you permission otherwise. 

My name is also quite long (7letters) but it is a nickname (from Johannah :my_biggrin:). My close friends call me by a shorter version (or by a nickname my family gave me when I was young) but I get a bit annoyed when colleagues do it as well. 

On my sports-team it is different, when you are on the field you don't have time to yell three syllables so they can go for the one-syllable version :my_biggrin:

26 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

Visit Zeeland and you’ll find Johannes and Johanna nn hanna on every corner :). I do believe we tend to give short names (the top 20 currently has 10 1-syllabe names for boys and 5 1-syllabe names for girls) so that’s why we don’t nickname as much, we just give the nickname as a given name :my_rolleyes:.

Interesting. I have a cousin Johanna, who we call Hanna, named after her Dutch (as in born in the Netherlands, not just Dutch-American like most of the family) grandfather Johan. 

12 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I HATE when parents give their daughters nicknames as their legal names.  HATE IT.  It's deliberately infantalizing, and it is no mystery as to why this is a trend for FEMALE babies and not for males.  

I don’t know that this is the case. When last I looked (which is admittedly a few years ago), according to the SSA the name Max is significantly more popular among parents naming boys born in the US than is Maximilian. 

Jack is used as a first name all of the time even though traditionally it is a nickname. 

I could go on but I really don’t think this trend is just for girls. 

ETA: I know someone whose birth certificate lists his name as Bobby Jack. 

32 minutes ago, subsaharanafrica said:

I don’t know that this is the case. When last I looked (which is admittedly a few years ago), according to the SSA the name Max is significantly more popular among parents naming boys born in the US than is Maximilian. 

Jack is used as a first name all of the time even though traditionally it is a nickname. 

I could go on but I really don’t think this trend is just for girls. 

ETA: I know someone whose birth certificate lists his name as Bobby Jack. 

I do think it's much more common to give girls "cutesy" nicknames as their first name. Max and Jack are nicknames that sound more adult, unlike nicknames ending in an "ee" sound. It does happen for boys, of course, but it does seem more common for parents to give those kinds of names to girls.

My two cents... My husband and I have normal names, I'm an Abigail and all that irks me is shorten it to abi, but I get abby, abbie, abie... Anyway, when we had our son he got a normal short name you can't really make nicknames out of - Henry. We have a weird long surname so burdening a kid with a weird long name seems cruel. Daughter on the way, planning to name her Emma. 

I know a girl, her one kid is called Serene which I suppose is nice, but her new baby is Kharece. :my_confused: 

I hope JinJer don't go the duggar route with same letter names and don't go the seewald route either

8 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

My son went to school with a Kenadie and her twin Kassidie. :pb_rollseyes: 

Imagine an 80 year old grandma running around with the name Kassidie or Kenadie. Bizzare

So it's official they are having a girl.

Can't work out how to use freeJ on my phone so quote: jinggerandjermy.com 

"We are so happy to announce that we are having a BABY GIRL!"  "..she will have excellent role models in both of her grandmothers..." 

oh well.

I grew up with people named Cindy, Beth, Annie, Katie, Jessie, Tony, Toby, Ken, and Jeff. Those are their full names. They are not nicknames.

I have a long name, and when I'm introduced to someone, I give them my name - and it's invariably shortened on its first use. For example:  "Hi - I'm Stephanie*."   Response:  "Hi, Steph."

No. Don't do that shit.

*not my real name

7 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I grew up with people named Cindy, Beth, Annie, Katie, Jessie, Tony, Toby, Ken, and Jeff. Those are their full names. They are not nicknames.

I have a long name, and when I'm introduced to someone, I give them my name - and it's invariably shortened on its first use. For example:  "Hi - I'm Stephanie*."   Response:  "Hi, Steph."

No. Don't do that shit.

*not my real name

I can't imagine doing that to anyone. I'd just assume if you told me your name was Stephanie you wanted to be called Stephanie. If you wanted to be called Steph you would tell me that.

My name is 6 letters long and one syllable (rhymes with 'tin'), and invariably the first thing that people ask after meeting me is "What's that short for?" or "Is that short for something?"

2 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

She would be fine in Italy, that sort of names are common here, more common for females (Annamaria, Annachiara, Mariangela, Annacarla, Mariaelisa, Annarita, Mariarosa, Annalisa etc) but there are many for males too (Gianmarco, Pierluigi, Piercarlo, Piermario, Pierpaolo, Francantonio, Gianmaria, Pierferdinando, Giandomenico etc) some of them are quite dated, others are so dated that they are trendy and very posh atm.

I have a normal Italian name, but it's a bit long so friends an family tend to shorten it into a nickname and i like it. Actually  I am so used to it that when family members call me with my name long version I already know they are pissed at me:562479514c500_32(1):. I am not a Giovanna but if I were they would call me Gio. This is very common. But I wouldn't shorten my name on a resume and I can't do it on any official document cos it would invalidate it. For strangers and casual aquaintances I am Giovanna. Except for foreigners, since for foreigners it's hard to pronounce correctly I suggest them the more easy to pronounce nickname, it usually makes them happier.

My daughter has a common, beautiful, common to many languages, classic first name, followed by an uncommon, particular, Italian version of a British name. I love how the two names balance each other and also give her the possibility to choose which way she wants to present herself.

Someone upthread suggested Capri Vuolo, it's so flashy and Italoamerican that it sounds...well not a good idea to my Italian ears, but maybe it's just me. Diana is a perfectly fine Italian name too, so should they go for an Italian name it would be perfect.

@laPapessaGiovanna My boyfriend loves Italian names and would love to name our hypothetical-daughter-to-be Giulia or a son Mattia.

Although I love Italy and their names, I am really against it since it would not work at all in the Netherlands, people would just butcher the names.

Of course there are Italian names that could work here but people would just pronounce it in the Dutch way, in which they mostly sound ugly. Or it will be names that have a 'white-trash' label here (sorry, Giovanni in NL has a really bad reputation :my_rolleyes:)

10 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

I have a normal Italian name, but it's a bit long so friends an family tend to shorten it into a nickname and i like it. Actually  I am so used to it that when family members call me with my name long version I already know they are pissed at me:562479514c500_32(1):

Yeah, my whole family actually calls me by my first two initials (ST). A few fairly close friends do call me Steph. But last week when I was checking into a hotel on a work trip, the clerk said, "Welcome to Sacramento, Steph." I was so taken aback I didn't even say anything to him.

And the "calling by my whole name" thing when my mom was angry still makes me cringe. lol

(again, none of these names/initials are real...) haha

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived