IGNORED

Baby Vuolo Is a Girl

GnomeCat

27 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

I have a normal Italian name, but it's a bit long so friends an family tend to shorten it into a nickname and i like it. Actually  I am so used to it that when family members call me with my name long version I already know they are pissed at me

For my family, there were degrees of how upset someone was lol. 

Full first name (never applied to me cause my name didn't really have a nickname, but my brother got it a lot)

First Middle

and if you were REALLY in trouble, 

First Middle Last.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a long, traditional female name (think “Elizabeth”). I went by short forms and nicknames all my life (think “Lizzie”) and was always frustrated that my mom gave me a name that’s so long and serious that nobody could conceivably call me that as a twelve-year old. 

I’m now a lawyer. I use my full name, because quite frankly, being taken seriously as a young female lawyer is hard enough.

And man, am I ever glad my name isn’t something like “Lizzie”.

19 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

It was a very special time for just Mr. Four, One, and me, I thought.. to start to become this little family, without the entire world knowing all of our business right away.. because, as others have said, everyone wants to put their opinion in, whether you want it or not. One was presented, sex, name, as a fait accompli.. and accepted as such.

Two, I was able to attend the second ultrasound with his birth mother, and she wanted to find out, so I couldn't say no.. and then we decorated the nursery with dinosaurs.. because as a child I LOVED dinosaurs.. people assumed it was another boy, though.. But we let One know he was going to have a brother, and everyone else found out.

Just saying that for us, not knowing until the birth was helpful, helped us grow as a couple, and then as a small family. There was excitement, there were surprises, (Two was a butt down breech) and there was speculation.

That's why I cherish our NICU time so much. Everyone knew Waffle was a boy because he was already born when we found out about him - but we didn't let anyone come and see him in the NICU. It was OUR time for just our little family to start to grow roots. If we'd have told the grandmas they were allowed to come? We would have been overrun. (by my mom, who likely would have just moved in). 

And my son does love all the trucks and cars (Daddy is in construction so it makes sense) but he also got a bunch of kitchen stuff for Christmas because he loves to cook with me - and his new favorite obsession - as in - using it as leverage for him to eat breakfast and get dressed - is vacuuming. Obsessed - I'm thinking of farming him out to neighbors because no one's house needs to be vacuumed twice daily by a five year old.

So he can play with whatever he'd like. We won't stop him. (except when he's trying to vacuum DURING dinner - we have limits) 

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I have a long name, and when I'm introduced to someone, I give them my name - and it's invariably shortened on its first use. For example:  "Hi - I'm Stephanie*."   Response:  "Hi, Steph."

No. Don't do that shit.

This happens to me sometimes as well. And you know what?-- 90% of the time it is done by a man.

I know that my experience is just one data point, but I've always suspected I am not alone.

Just now, HereticHick said:

This happens to me sometimes as well. And you know what?-- 90% of the time it is done by a man.

I know that my experience is just one data point, but I've always suspected I am not alone.

Huh. I'd never made the sex-based comment connection, but on first recollection, I'm pretty sure it's mostly men. I'm going to start paying attention. (I work in a male-dominated field, so my results may skew that way, anyway.)

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

@laPapessaGiovanna My boyfriend loves Italian names and would love to name our hypothetical-daughter-to-be Giulia or a son Mattia.

Although I love Italy and their names, I am really against it since it would not work at all in the Netherlands, people would just butcher the names.

Of course there are Italian names that could work here but people would just pronounce it in the Dutch way, in which they mostly sound ugly. Or it will be names that have a 'white-trash' label here (sorry, Giovanni in NL has a really bad reputation :my_rolleyes:)

Funny because Giovanni is back to trendy here :pb_lol:.

Maybe short names without pronunciation traps like Anna, Luca, Marco would be a possibility.

Late to the name discussion, but I have two brothers-in-law; one named Denny and the other Daniel. I always tell my husband that it is basically the same name, Denny could be a nickname for Daniel 

I admit to not liking nicknames as given names. I see why people wouldn't want to name the child something besides what they're going to call them, but I think the name should be adaptable to every situation the child might find themselves in as an adult--it's not just for the parent-child relationship. 

I have a name that doesn't lend itself to nicknames, and so everyone has just always called me by my name. My fiancé on the other hand goes by a nickname of his middle name--I really like the nickname and I've never called him by the full name and can't imagine doing so. His family uses a different nickname of that name which he feels is infantilizing as an adult, but that's what they're going to call him. 

I really can't imagine calling someone any name other than what they tell me their name is. I have a good friend named Daniel and I've never been tempted to shorten it to Dan. That would seem wrong to me, like it's not his name. On the other hand one of my friends has a daughter named Juniper and I call her both Juniper and June, but that's because her mother does too. 

4 minutes ago, Whatthefundie said:

Late to the name discussion, but I have two brothers-in-law; one named Denny and the other Daniel. I always tell my husband that it is basically the same name, Denny could be a nickname for Daniel 

Like Joy-Anna and Johannah? 

4 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

I admit to not liking nicknames as given names. I see why people wouldn't want to name the child something besides what they're going to call them, but I think the name should be adaptable to every situation the child might find themselves in as an adult--it's not just for the parent-child relationship. 

I have a name that doesn't lend itself to nicknames, and so everyone has just always called me by my name. My fiancé on the other hand goes by a nickname of his middle name--I really like the nickname and I've never called him by the full name and can't imagine doing so. His family uses a different nickname of that name which he feels is infantilizing as an adult, but that's what they're going to call him. 

I really can't imagine calling someone any name other than what they tell me their name is. I have a good friend named Daniel and I've never been tempted to shorten it to Dan. That would seem wrong to me, like it's not his name. On the other hand one of my friends has a daughter named Juniper and I call her both Juniper and June, but that's because her mother does too. 

My son has a name like Daniel. There is a shortened version of it - and I know lots of guys who are called (hypothetically) Dan. But my son - is Daniel. (not his real name - but you get the idea). 
Some people shorten it to Dan (although I don't call her kid Katie - when her name is Katherine) Some call him Danny and it's like "no - his name is Daniel. DONE" (until he tells us otherwise. but at age 5 - he thinks his name is Daniel.... )

I have a friend who was named Blythe but always went by her middle name. She changed her first name legally when she got married. Funny part to me is that her mom also had a weird, unique first name that she changed at marriage. I guess she wanted to make it a tradition :pb_lol:

13 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

On the nicknames-as-full-names thing, I'd like to point out "The Tiffany Problem."

I have a Tiffany problem. It's my middle name and I hate it. Dumped it from my legal name when I got married. My parents got it from a character on General Hospital. How stereotypically 80's can you get? :pb_lol:

My daughter has a long, formal name that I have always loved. But when I found myself faced with an adorable tiny newborn, I found it hard to call her by that long name. So I started calling her Missy, my husband followed, and it has stuck. Missy was about the third or fourth word she said at around 10 months, and I freaked out. So I try to call her by her real name as much as possible, and her nanny only calls her by her name, so we're hoping she gets encouraged by that. But she is now 19 months and only refers to herself as Missy. Constantly. She says plenty of other long words, like butterfly and triangle and kangaroo, so I don't think she's unable to say her 3 syllable name, she just doesn't.

I also prefer longer names. Nicknames are a great way to separate people I have a closer relationship to from the rest. 

I will admit that I am biased in finding them more professional. Also many very short names (4-5 letters) are tied to cute little children for me. Only few work for adults in my eyes. 

What really bothered me was the one woman I met who insisted to call her son Alice- because it is a male name in French (sure she meant Ellis but whatever) and because of the „Popstar“ Alice Cooper. Please educate yourself. If you want to use a name from a different language make sure it is spelled and pronunced the right way. Especially with English/Spanish ä names as those are spoken all over the world by so many people. Never forget the fit a relative threw about everyone calling her daughter Tyler, when she meant Taylor-  but Tyler was how they spelled it.

What I find unbelievable rude is to use a nickname without permission. If I give you my long name that is what I expect you to call me.

There are a lot of things I wish.  I wish that Jeremy didn't have a hard-on hate for Catholics.  I with all of them embraced equality.  But I'm glad that Jeremy doesn't think women are whores for wearing pants, and that his household is less restrictive than the Duggar house.  I'm glad he and Jinger got to spend time together as a married couple before conceiving.  I really like that they swapped the gender-colors, societal construction that it is, for their announcement photo.  It's not an accident that Jinger is wearing the "boy" color and Jeremy is wearing the "girl" color.  Yes, yes, I wish this was another boy to further limit the growth of fundies, but if there's a better place for a girl to be born, it's into a fundy house where girls can wear pants and men can wear pink.  I'll take a little joy in the small things.

I remember having our foster daughter, and she had a long, totally made up by the mother first name,but everyone called her (something like) "Sammy". I used to make her nickname longer, like "Samma ramma ding dong".. she'd say, "I not "samma ramma ding dong. I sammy"... corrected by a three year old...

I totally agree and always have, with my "sammy" whom I miss dearly. I have a three syllable first name, and people shorten it, and I hate that. I always correct them, either by repeating my first name, or saying, You may call me Ms. Four.

3 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

What I find unbelievable rude is to use a nickname without permission. If I give you my long name that is what I expect you to call me.

YES - I have a name that has a pretty normal short form of it. But I go by my full first name. Think Katherine and Kat. 
If I don't know you - do not shorten it. There are people who call me the short version of my name, friends from high school, some of my husbands friends (who I've known for nearly 20 years now) and that's fine. They didn't ask permission to call me the short version - but again, known them for 20 years - they were in our wedding, they're practically family - fine. Don't assume that because you've now been introduced to me that you can call me Kat. I will cringe and correct you.

I have a formal name and a nickname. When I introduce myself, I use my formal name. If you get close, than you can use my nickname. But don’t call me my nickname until I give you the go ahead. It is a name that only my close family and friends use. 

One of my nicknames as a kid was Boo. I’m happy that one is gone. 

My kids will have formal names. I find it weird to not to nickname. 

My son has nicknames wholly unrelated to his actual name (and we picked his name because we wanted a grown up name that could be shortened if he'd like). His nicknames are ridiculous and he'll be embarrassed by them some day. Lil Pood, Bunny Rabbit, Stinky, but maybe he'll like "B" - which is a shortened version of Bunny Rabbit. :P

33 minutes ago, Meggo said:

Like Joy-Anna and Johannah? 

Yes! It just seems like they could have gotten a bit more creative, but Daniel’s name was chosen by his older siblings (aka my husband) 

55 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Funny because Giovanni is back to trendy here :pb_lol:.

Maybe short names without pronunciation traps like Anna, Luca, Marco would be a possibility.

Yes, we might end up going in that direction.

Although all Marco's here are 40+ years :my_biggrin:

19 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I remember having our foster daughter, and she had a long, totally made up by the mother first name,but everyone called her (something like) "Sammy". I used to make her nickname longer, like "Samma ramma ding dong".. she'd say, "I not "samma ramma ding dong. I sammy"... corrected by a three year old...

This reminds me of one Christmas, one of my niece's great uncles was trying to get her to say "I'm a Conservative" (right after the Canadian election and he was upset about Trudeau winning) and she was getting so angry about it "No! Am not conservative, am Olivia Smith*!" I think she was around 2 at the time.

*not her real name, but it was definitely full first and last name when she usually goes by a nickname. 

My name isn't really nicknameable, but some people have tried. I'm not a fan.

I am, however, a fan of formal official names that allow the person the option of nicknames if they want. I admit I do cringe a little when I have to put names like "Cacky" on an otherwise very professional business card. 

It's also interesting to me to see how people "do" nicknames. I know a very young kid named Aurelia who goes by RaRa. My dad's name is Charles - his parents ALWAYS called him that, as does my mother and most of her family, but most other people call him Charlie.

7 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I think Jinger's going to choose a name that's easy to spell.

Call your kid what ever you want, but for their future sanity, do not get creative with the spelling. If you want to let your creative flag fly, change your own name or the spelling of your current name.

31 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

What really bothered me was the one woman I met who insisted to call her son Alice- because it is a male name in French (sure she meant Ellis but whatever) and because of the „Popstar“ Alice Cooper.

We have two Alice's working on the same department. One male and one female.

Since we cannot say 'Alice from Finance' we go with 'Male Alice' :my_biggrin:

But it is still weird to me to have a male Alice, even though the female Ellis I know does not sound weird :my_rolleyes:

My son has a not long (two syllable) name, that can be shortened into a nickname that I really don't like (neither does my husband), I like the other option which is shorter,  so think Teddy for a nickname, or Ted,  but my husband still doesn't like that one. Needless to say, he goes by his full name, which isn't that big of a deal. We'll see what happens as he gets older and his friends give him nicknames in school. (he's only 5)

23 minutes ago, Meggo said:

My son has nicknames wholly unrelated to his actual name (and we picked his name because we wanted a grown up name that could be shortened if he'd like). His nicknames are ridiculous and he'll be embarrassed by them some day. Lil Pood, Bunny Rabbit, Stinky, but maybe he'll like "B" - which is a shortened version of Bunny Rabbit. :P

Same with our daughter. We picked a four letter “formal” first name for her that we both loved - but Banana, Peanut, and Pumpkin are my three go-tos for nicknames right now. I also call her by a cutesy nickname of her actual name (think Ellie for Ella.) We do try to use her actual name and the cutesy real nickname more often, but I’m still kind of convinced she’s going to think her name is Banana once she starts talking. :pb_lol:

We already know the first names for our future second child (Rebecca, James, or Brandon - my sister is having another son soon and may use James, so Brandon is our backup for now) and each of the names offers nice enough nicknames. It'll be interesting to see what ridiculous nicknames I come up with for baby two though. I have a feeling I’ll continue the food related nicknames because apparently I really like combining my love for babies and food. :pb_lol:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived