IGNORED

Baby Vuolo Is a Girl

GnomeCat

It's not the first time the "strong opinions on sex reveals" topic comes up, and it's not gonna be the last.

I have to admit that I can't be all lovey dovey over fundie "gender" reveal events just because the subtext is so insidious. If these babies don't identify the way their parents say they do, they're certainly in for a tough ride, and that's very sad. 

Normal, compassionate people doing sex reveals? Sure, why not. If I was pregnant I'd probably want to know the sex. It just seems like less baby preparation work- no more, no less.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jessesgirl said:

I honestly find it funny that you are so angry about this. I didn’t  realize finding out the sex of a baby was such a sensitive subject.  I have the right to my opinion. Again, you don’t have to agree with me. We can agree to disagree.  You are being a bully and need to chill the fuck out. It’s not that serious. 

I think you're a condescending bitch...don't tell me to "chill the fuck out" after your bullshit. Fuck you, your arrogance and the horse you rode in on. 

I don't think we knew for my brother, who is 37. My mom was 38 for much of her pregnancy.

I'm enough of a contrarian that I wouldn't have wanted to know (at my age, it's not likely). I probably would have responded with something like, "It could be a baby, but I also think I swallowed a watermelon seed, so we'll see what comes out."

As for the Vuolo sex reveal, my contrarian side would have come out, and I probably wouldn't have participated, saying that I can find out when the baby is here.

See, I'm not so sure JinJer are going to be as awesome for a little girl as everyone seems to think. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking their precious, little princess is going to have much, if any support bucking gender stereotypes. Jeremy himself said he would like a little princess who is just like her mother. As Jinger seems to spend most of her days looking pretty - I'm not filled with hope that any daughter of theirs is going to have a lot of encouragement to get a career, or a freaking job for that matter, or be encouraged to play sports or do much other than look nice. I've known my fair share of pro soccer players in my day, and it is a very macho environment. I'm not holding my breath that a daughter is going to be doing any serious sports.

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I found out #3's sex about 28 years ago. So it's not "this day and age". Pretty much all my friends who were pregnant then (between 25 and 30 years ago) found out the sex of their baby. Having a baby is plenty exciting even with knowing the sex. 

I think you have a shitty, superior attitude about this so you might want to STFU before you shove your foot any further in your mouth. 

I'm 31 and have my "It's a girl!"  pic.

I always thought it was cool to wait. What if they're wrong?...then was told wrong with my third. So now I think unless you have a DNA test, tossing the opposite sex clothes etc is maybe not the best idea even more than before. 

2 hours ago, ItsMeY'all said:

I love the name suggestion of Isabella. Her nickname could end up being Izzy just like her cousin. How would the Duggars feel about that?

Jana, Joy Anna, Johannah...I suspect they wouldn't care.

2 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Jana, Joy Anna, Johannah...I suspect they wouldn't care.

except they all have different nicknames. Jana doesn't have any that I know of. Joy Anna is just Joy or Joy Joy most of the time. and Johannah is Hannie. 

Well, congrats to the Vuolos and I hope Jinger has a safe delivery and a healthy baby. I do have to say that Jeremy looked ridiculously excited holding the little dress in the baby shower photo. 

Also, you can find out the sex and still be surprised. My boss's son and dil were having a baby a few years ago and three ultrasounds all said they were having a girl. When baby shows up, SURPRISE!!! It's a boy. When the next baby came along, my boss refused to buy anything until the baby was actually born.  

2 minutes ago, hethamahay said:

Well, congrats to the Vuolos and I hope Jinger has a safe delivery and a healthy baby. I do have to say that Jeremy looked ridiculously excited holding the little dress in the baby shower photo. 

Also, you can find out the sex and still be surprised. My boss's son and dil were having a baby a few years ago and three ultrasounds all said they were having a girl. When baby shows up, SURPRISE!!! It's a boy. When the next baby came along, my boss refused to buy anything until the baby was actually born.  

Does anyone know how accurate those harmony blood tests are? (That's what they are called right?) that's what most people seem to be going to and finding out before the first trimester is even over. 

I find the idea of needing or wanting a surprise during pregnancy or childbirth to be hilarious. For me, there were plenty of surprises. (Spoiler Alert: not many good ones!) I expected morning sickness. I got evening sickness with morning nausea as well. (Plus 2 bouts of food poisoning.) I expected cravings. I got food aversions instead. I expected hormonal fluctuations. I got raging bitch hotflashes from hell fluctuations, with a side of ugly crying out of nowhere. So fun! Ah pregnancy. I truly don’t think I could have handled any more surprises. :my_biggrin:

And let’s not talk about surprises during labor and birth. :evil-laugh:

Well the girl picked the right parents if she wants to grow up wearing cute clothes and not dresses over pants for her whole life.

Just reminding folks there is a place for "unpopular opinions":

Adding in my two cents that people seem really inflamed over something really personal to prenatal parents.... not sure why this is so .... volatile?

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

I think you're a condescending bitch...don't tell me to "chill the fuck out" after your bullshit. Fuck you, your arrogance and the horse you rode in on. 

I could understand your passion and anger if we were discussing something Really controversial, like abortion or the death penalty or education, but finding out the sex of a baby?! It just seems irrational to have this sort of reaction and keep it going this long.  

1 hour ago, NakedKnees said:

It's not the first time the "strong opinions on sex reveals" topic comes up, and it's not gonna be the last.

I have to admit that I can't be all lovey dovey over fundie "gender" reveal events just because the subtext is so insidious. If these babies don't identify the way their parents say they do, they're certainly in for a tough ride, and that's very sad. 

Normal, compassionate people doing sex reveals? Sure, why not. If I was pregnant I'd probably want to know the sex. It just seems like less baby preparation work- no more, no less.

I guess I fall into the strongly against, if it's a big deal, party, etc. Do the parents want to know the gender? Most do, sure. Is it nice for others to know the gender so they know what to buy or pass down? Sure. Do most people,however much they love the parents, otherwise give a fuck, enough to want to go to a party about it? No. 
edited to say I guess I didn't read the whole thread because I didn't understand the vitriol.

I love to plan and hate surprises, so I would want to know.  It would kill me not to.  I haven’t decided if we would tell anyone, not because I’m mean like Jessa, but because I want to try and do as much none gender conforming as I can.  I don’t want a bunch of stereotypical pink for a girl and only trucks and superheros for boys. 

I’m sad its a girl, it was bound to happen but I am still sad.

I would want to find out but I wouldn't tell anyone else. I just don't like to hear people's opinions about things so I generally don't tell anyone anything unless it's already a done deal. 

5 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I can't remember Jill's reaction, and i wish I could find the Sam reveal episode because I remember Cathy said something that really pissed me off about being upset about Sam not being a girl. 

I watched this episode recently. Cathy made me sick. Jill was clearly disappointed as well but I suspect a large part of that was because of Cathy. I hope Samuel never watches that episode.

Almost nothing will make me stop watching this show but hearing the names Bella or Isabella over and over again just might do it. No offense to those who like it. I do not. Every time I hear “Isabella” my brain shouts “IsNOTabella!!!” and I can’t control my rage. :pb_lol: I doubt they’ll choose it but I’d pick the name Capri. It’s Italian for Jeremy, ~*uNiQuE*~ for Jinger, and cute enough to be the name of the first preshus speshul Duggar daughter’s daughter.

And I have to sprinkle in some snark for good measure: I for one do not like Jinger’s dress. I thought she was already wearing a hospital gown and tied a ribbon around it.

4 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Having found out both that both of my children were boys ahead of time, I completely disagree that it's more exciting. I can assure you I and my family were plenty excited, very surprised and definitely spent a lot of time speculating. 

You can do you, but please don't make assumptions about those that do differently, and then judge them for it. 

When I was pregnant with my 1st, the doctor asked me 'don't you want to be surprised? When I said we were going to find out the sex of the baby. I told him unless the baby comes out green with gills its either a boy or a girl It's not really a surprise.   

7 minutes ago, Pete Pickles said:

I doubt they’ll choose it but I’d pick the name Capri. It’s Italian for Jeremy, ~*uNiQuE*~ for Jinger, and cute enough to be the name of the first preshus speshul Duggar daughter’s daughter.

Ha, I just spent awhile trying to figure out how "Capri" translates to "Jeremy"...until I realized that you meant it's an Italian name that he might like, not that is the Italian version of (or "for") Jeremy.

And I haven't even had any anesthesia  tonight!  It's clearly time for bed.

Bonsoir, all.

7 hours ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

I’m slightly younger so my gender reveals came in the form of a text... on a flip phone!

So close. My last was born in 2001. I got my flip cell phone in 2003. :laughing-rollingred:

24 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

I would want to find out but I wouldn't tell anyone else. I just don't like to hear people's opinions about things so I generally don't tell anyone anything unless it's already a done deal. 

Yesssss! So I wanted to name my second child Hannah if she was a girl. So we dumbly tell our family that before baby came, and my mom kept pronouncing it Hahhhnah. Similar to sauna. I thought omg i can't hear 20+ years of this. Then people pick on middle names, or what about great grandma mildred's name on and on. Or how to labor. Or what to do about xyz. How to feed them. There seems to be so much more pressure with this generation than when I had my kids, which was 1994-01. 

Yeah, my whole family knows not to expect an announcement of anything until it's final. When we bought our last house, I told people by posting a picture of the keys on FB with a Welcome Home caption. I never even mentioned that we were looking at houses.

I tell people everything after the fact. It does keep people from telling their opinion because there's no point.

I learned my lesson when I was pregnant and causually mentioned that we were thinking of Rose as a middle name and immediately my mil was all oh god, I hope not. Never again.

22 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

So I wanted to name my second child Hannah if she was a girl. So we dumbly tell our family that before baby came, and my mom kept pronouncing it Hahhhnah. Similar to sauna. I thought omg i can't hear 20+ years of this.

Wait, are you saying that's a reason not to tell people? When my sister was naming her kids, she ran a list of names past my mom, and all the ones that my mom pronounced wrong were stricken from the list. Then she ran the remainder past my brother, and any that made him start singing a song (like Susannah) were stricken from the list. Because no kid wants to grow up with a grandma saying her name wrong and an uncle singing some dumb song just because it has her name in it.

5 minutes ago, Honeysuckle said:

Wait, are you saying that's a reason not to tell people? When my sister was naming her kids, she ran a list of names past my mom, and all the ones that my mom pronounced wrong were stricken from the list. Then she ran the remainder past my brother, and any that made him start singing a song (like Susannah) were stricken from the list. Because no kid wants to grow up with a grandma saying her name wrong and an uncle singing some dumb song just because it has her name in it.

Yeah, but maybe don't be so specific. My first grandson they picked one name and then thought of another they thought they might like better. Asked me and I preferred the second one. They agreed. But they had already told everybody the first name and at the shower about 100 old ladies had needle-pointed, crocheted, embroidered, god bless them everything with the name (and for them it was amazing you could even do that). So Cody is Cody not Cory

24 minutes ago, Honeysuckle said:

Wait, are you saying that's a reason not to tell people?

My daughter fought hard and long to get acceptance of the potential baby name Nixon.

She thought otherwise after getting some a lot of feedback.

We were open about our name choices with our first baby and people felt like they should give their opinions. I didn’t appreciate it, so next time around we kept our lips zipped and they found out after the baby was born. We just answered the ‘what names have you picked’ question with ‘we haven’t decided on any yet’, which was a total and complete lie.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived